shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1306282823|2929537 said:
for my own birthday HM did me a great favor, for the US diner she wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara, Queen Victoria's Jubilee Necklace, Queen Victoria's Pearl Drop earrings, and The Teck Corsage Brooch ( not seen for a couple of years)!!!

The Queen looked abfab at the state banquet... and so did the other royal ladies present (though I've not see photos of Sophie Wessex), in my opinion.
A reliable source that has a database with the outings of all of Elizabeth II's brooches says the Teck corsage brooch was last seen on HM in 1995.

PS: Alexander, happy (belated) birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1306280671|2929505 said:
The Duchess of Cornwall wore the Honeycomb tiara and a fringe necklace, along with the Queen Elizabeth's Order.

This dress seems familiar....or maybe it's just the color that's familiar?

The Duchess (I was about to write the Princess...) wore the dress in Madrid, Spain, in the beginning of this month. HRH also wore the same necklace, earrings and bracelet. Now that she's added the tiara and order, it really makes it the most stunning look on the Duchess by far (IMHO, of course).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1306280483|2929502 said:
State visit of the US President to England. HM wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara with pearl drops, and I think (kind of hard to see from the pictures) Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace.

I think the Queen looked very dainty and petite next to Michelle Obama.

I had the same thought, Maira! But not only the Queen. Also the Duke looks dainty and small next to the Obamas, when HRH is a rather tall man.

Anyway, the Daily Mail has some nice glittering photos from the banquet - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...abeth-treats-President-Tom-hanks-banquet.html There we see that the Princess Royal wore the meander tiara of her grandmother, Princess Michael wore the fringe (and I think her long three-row pearls with diamond clasp), The Duchess of Gloucester with either the Iveagh or the Honeysuckle tiara, diamond cluster earrings, diamond buckle brooch and diamond riviere(s). Princess Alexandra wore a pearl and diamond choker and I suppose her diamond tiara with the pearl centers.

A pitty that there wasn't a (the usual) banquet at the Guildhall, so that we could see some more bling...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
.. yet there was a return banquet the following evening, attendned by the Queen and Prince Philip. HM wore her modern diamond and emerald swag/tassel demi-parure (necklace, earrings and bracelet; possibly also ring) and a new brooch, not matching the rest of the jewels.
610x_1.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aHo23JgCj8E8/610x.jpg

BTW, American posters, what press did the State Visit receive in the US? Certainly you must've herd of the gaffe at the banquet, but something else?

Bobby

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Bobby,

Everything that I have read from several of the newspapers (and television coverage) here in the US, the banquet and meeting with Her Majesty and the Royal Family et al, received very positive coverage. In watching the body language between all parties I would hazard a guess that they are genuinely comfortable and friendly with each other. Maybe the "gaffe" of the band beginning to play during Obama's toast to the Queen even's out the "gaffe" of Michelle Obama putting her arm around the Queen's shoulders during the last visit. Anyway, it all came across as human and no one directly involve, i.e. the Queen, Prince Philip or the Obamas seemed miffed or offended.

Jean

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306441141|2931073 said:

I had the same thought, Maira! But not only the Queen. Also the Duke looks dainty and small next to the Obamas, when HRH is a rather tall man.

I wonder what Prince Phillip would say if he knew we described him as "dainty"?!?! :lol:

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1306505069|2931651 said:
prince.of.preslav|1306441141|2931073 said:

I wonder what Prince Phillip would say if he knew we described him as "dainty"?!?! :lol:

I bet he would laugh very hard indeed. He really does seem to have a good sense of humor.

Does anyone know if there is a dinner or other big function to celebrate his 90th Birthday? Just thinking of jewellery spotting opportunities! :naughty: I also wonder if the Queen would consider making him HRH The Prince Consort? I know Queen Victoria made Prince Albert Prince Consort relatively late in their marriage.

By the way, I see in a catalogue for Christies shows the up coming sale of a suite of nobel pearl jewels that belong to the Duke of Westminster. In the smaller version I think it would really look good on HRH Duchess of Cambridge. Subtle hint Prince William or Prince Charles, if your reading this, buy it for her!).

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Another picture of the Obama's visit to Europe.

I can't think of a way to sugar-coat this...I hate this necklace. What a jumbled mess!

horriblenecklace.jpg

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Not crazy about the necklace myself. Mrs. Obama's hairdos have been rather severe on this trip. When she wears her hair in softer, even curlier styles it really softens up her look. I like the dresses she chose for the trip, though on the white formal at Buckingham Palace the straps might have looked better proportionally if they had been wider set...just my opinion though.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
Re:

LostSapphire|1222630722|1555192 said:
Date: 9/27/2008 1:27:29 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet

Lady Diana''s Engagement Ring

From the many photographs of Princess Diana with her sapphire ring, one can estimate the size of the oval and thus the carat weight of the stone as in the range of 5 to 9 carats. Steve Voynick on page 163 of the 1995 edition of his book Yogo: The Great American Sapphire gives the weight of the stone as 9 carats. [For many years it was claimed that the largest cut Yogo sapphire is a flat hexagonal plate in the Smithsonian Museum, weighing 10.2 carats. However, this gemstone came from Sri Lanka, not Yogo Gulch. The museum did not want to offend the donor of the stone by giving the correct location. The donor has since passed away and it time for the Smithsonian to make the correction official. The largest cut and polished Yogo sapphire that I have been able to verify is just under 4 carats.] Diana''s sapphire is larger than any cut Yogo sapphire; however, cut stones this size or larger from Sri Lanka are expensive, but rather common.
Sithathoriunet:

I have a really clear pic of Princess Diana''s and Prince Charles'' rings. Thought I''d post it up for you here, as the one you posted earlier is from a fair distance back. Hope you don''t mind!

LS
Can someone help me understand why all of a sudden the ring is being stated as 18 carats? Even adding in the diamonds, it is not 18 carats total weight. I have a nearly 9 carat oval and have long maintained that Diana's ring is in no way twice the size of mine, but report after report once it went on Kate Middleton's finger has referred to it as 18 carats.
Ideas? Thoughts?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It was reported wrong when Diana got it. That figure has floated around ever since & it obviously isn't that big. Somebody just repeated it again, I suppose.

Agree about Michelle O's necklace. A weird thing. And it's costume anyway -- imho, borrow a real one from a jeweler or buy something real, even if small, for dinner at Buck House. The obamas can certainly afford it.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1306582711|2932323 said:
Agree about Michelle O's necklace. A weird thing. And it's costume anyway -- imho, borrow a real one from a jeweler or buy something real, even if small, for dinner at Buck House. The obamas can certainly afford it.

--- Laurie

Well said Laurie!!!!

sarahinLA

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1305427982|2922094 said:
Here is a nice close-up of the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding band. Apparently, the reason William had a hard time getting it on was that the ring is a size too small. Catherine had lost so much weight which resulted in the resizing of her engagement ring. She tried to predict ahead what her size would be on her wedding day and ended up ordering her wedding ring a size too small.

Hello All, I've been enjoying reading this thread! I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I think that he had a hard time getting the ring on because he is left handed, and he tried to do it right handed only at first. I'm left handed, and I think if I had to do something like that right handed, with the whole world watching, I might be nervous about it!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306582711|2932323 said:
It was reported wrong when Diana got it. That figure has floated around ever since & it obviously isn't that big. Somebody just repeated it again, I suppose.

The explanation I've seen is that whoever first reported on Diana's ring said it was set in 18k white gold and someone misunderstood and thought the stone was 18 ct.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Some nice sparklers this weekend.

Charlene W. & P. Albert, 1st at the banquet for the Grand Prix tonight. 2nd, at a fashion gala. Charlene's earrings on both occasions: looks like she can substitute different drops from the diamond upper part. If that's not right, please let me know.

626106-charlene-wittstock-lors-de-l-amber-637x0-3.jpg

626104-charlene-wittstock-et-le-prince-albert-637x0-3.jpg

14318382421_6VDQs.jpg

14318089618_CGnhx.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A concert for Princess Maxima's 40th birthday. I think she looks elegant. Love the brooch at her waist -- and I can't find anything on it. Anyone know about it? On a forum called Royal Dish there were some very unpleasant comments about her -- is she not well liked?

626231-la-princesse-maxima-des-pays-bas-lors-637x0-3.jpg

album_large_857550.jpg

626230-la-princesse-maxima-des-pays-bas-lors-637x0-3.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I answered my own question on Maxima's popularity -- by asking my Dutch husband, duh! He thinks the royal family is a joke, so I didn't expect him to know, but he does read the Dutch newspapers online & of course his bro & sister live in Holland. He says she is VERY popular, probably the most admired of the RF. What a snarky website Royal Dish is, will avoid it in future, ick.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306714034|2933360 said:
A concert for Princess Maxima's 40th birthday. I think she looks elegant. Love the brooch at her waist -- and I can't find anything on it. Anyone know about it? On a forum called Royal Dish there were some very unpleasant comments about her -- is she not well liked?

Thanks for posting this here. This was a very glittering affair, and all (royal) ladies looked very nice and wore some great jewels.
PPE has a gallery with more photos of the concert - http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=27-05-2011 Amsterdam I was really impressed by Maxima's head jewel.
Maybe someone would like to discuss the royal jewels?

One guest I didin't see in PPE's gallery is the Princess of Turnovo, who wore a diamond necklace with large pendant:
miriam.jpg
Also a group photo:
album_large_857531.jpg

PS: As you answered yourself, Maxima is very popular in the Netherlands, perhaps the most liked member of the royal family. On all forums and message boards I foollow there are pleasent comments about HRH. I don't know why she's not liked on the Royal Dish.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
State Visit from Luxembour to Norway!
Tonight there was a State Banquet at the palace in Oslo at which The King & Queen, The Grand Duke & Duchess of Luxembourg, The Crown Prince & Princess, Princess Martha-Louise & Ari Behn and Princess Astrid were present.
The Queen wore the large version of the pearl tiara, pearl drop earrings, pearl choker with diamond&sapphire clasp, as well as Queen Maud's pearl&diamond devt-de-corsage:
11052305noroylur-75d0bb0bc93cca1fa11c3b095d0e75d8.jpg

The Grand Duchess wore her mother-in-law's diamond tiara, earrings with large pearl drops and the necklace with the large cabochon sappire, also a pearl and diamond bracelet:
11052305noroylur-d64bb4c08f844ea386760171f1cbe720.jpg

The Crown Princess wore her wedding tiara and earrings which I'm not able to recognise: 11052305noroylur-6981047cd031769ac15c5a437ef8cc68.jpg

The glamorous looking Princess Marthe-Louise wore her own tiara, aquamarine (?) earrings and an antique brooch (also worn by her s-i-l), Princess Astid (not pictured) wore the Vasa tiara:
11052305noroylur-9ecfb98e6cf6144ea3b8543ed89450c1.jpg

More photos here - http://www.tageblatt.lu/nachrichten/europa/story/Herzlicher-Empfang-in-Norwegen-20867643

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306797407|2934022 said:
JewelFreak|1306714034|2933360 said:

Thanks for posting this here. This was a very glittering affair, and all (royal) ladies looked very nice and wore some great jewels.
PPE has a gallery with more photos of the concert - http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=27-05-2011 Amsterdam I was really impressed by Maxima's head jewel.

Bobby

Any close-ups of our dear delight Mabel? I think I see her in the group photo and I can't tell if she she's wearing a bow or not! :rodent:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306797407|2934022 said:
Bobby
I don't dare, Bobby! You know so much more than I'll ever manage! Do you know anything about the brooch at Maxima's waist? It is so pretty. I haven't found any info on it -- it doesn't look modern, so I'm wondering if it is part of the RF jewels.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1306545990|2932133 said:
Another picture of the Obama's visit to Europe.

I can't think of a way to sugar-coat this...I hate this necklace. What a jumbled mess!

Here's an up close shot of that necklace. You can buy it too!! :naughty: :errrr:

http://www.tombinnsdesign.com/dumont/p/dmt0083/small-white-tangled-crystal-necklace

Michele Obama loves this designer and is often wearing his expensive costume jewelry. If it were me, I would wear something real and more elegant, but she did look very nice on her trip to the UK overall. I could picture Diana in some of those same evening gowns.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1306798700|2934037 said:
The Crown Princess wore her wedding tiara and earrings which I'm not able to recognise: 11052305noroylur-6981047cd031769ac15c5a437ef8cc68.jpg

To me, MM and Haakon, are the most attractive royal couple. I love looking at them! She gets prettier every year, and he is so handsome, even with the beard.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1306853086|2934424 said:

Who is he?

That is Ari Behn, Princess Martha Louise's husband

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Martha Louise has really grown her hair out...or gotten some good extenstions!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1306855487|2934455 said:
TL|1306853086|2934424 said:

Who is he?

That is Ari Behn, Princess Martha Louise's husband

Thanks, just looked him up, lucky Princess Martha Louise. :naughty:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Mabel strikes again. This is at her sister-in-law Crown Princess Maxima's 40th birthday concert.

I think this dress looks terrible, which given Mabel's past, shouldn't surprise any of us (see pages 4, 187, and 207 of this thread). The top doesn't flatter her at all. It looks like beach cover-up meets whirlpool after a long day of drinking. And no decent jewels to attempt to redeem it.

I think there might be BOWS on her shoes...hard to tell...

mabelmaxima40-1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results