shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1291795622|2790724 said:
Ok, no luck. I'll ask this question here once and if I still can't get it, I'll ask a friend or ask for help from the moderators. I'm just looking for any suggestions:

what happens is I upload the picture I want.
but then when I try to download it, it must not be in the right file, because when I hit the button on the left under Insert, I get a block of old pictures, and it doesn't have the one I just downloaded.

Danny -- I don't see a button labeled Insert. Here's how I do it:

1) Click on the tab "upload attachment."
2) To the right of the blank space "Filename" click on the button "Browse..."
3) This should then display your picture files.
4) Find the picture you want to use.
5) Double-click it. Path to the pic will now appear in the "Filename" blank.
6) Right of the "Browse" button is a button "Add the file." Click on that.
7) Click the "Submit" button. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the post to get into the thread but it should work.

Please holler if this doesn't work & we'll try to figure out what the problem is!

--- Laurie

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
The said Prince of Wales Crown c1911, the PoW and his only sister dressed fro the coronation of their parents:

edmary.jpg

And here is the PoW at his investiture in 1910/1911(?) The crown he is wearing is a chaplet and I am not sure as to the reason for using this rather than the PoW crown of his father from 1902. Maybe his young age? It is on display with the 1969 crown and other items of regalia at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. I have seen the Crown Jewels a couple of times and the 1728 and 1902 PoW crowns were amongst them. Its amazing the range of crowns that are out there.

Interestingly the rules of coronets from the Restoration in 1660 do not allow for women to wear a coronet - I wonder if that is the origin of wearing a tiara with a coronet - they simply added it to the finery they already liked to wear.

2322680.jpg

The aforementioned Imperial Crown of India. As you said, made to be removed from the UK. The stones were sent from Indian and it holds over 6000 diamonds, not counting the other gems. It is my favourite and my Mum had to move me on from staring at it when I was 10!

ImCofIn2.jpg

Other coronets at QEII's coronation. The 6 balls (or pearls) of a Baron, the 16 pearls of a Viscount, the strawberry leaves and tine mounted pearls of an Earl, the pearls and leaves of a Marquis and the 8 strawberry leaves of a Duke are al visible. Also, somewhere at the back is a young Duke of Kent in with his coronet. I have seen a Duke and Duchesses coronets at a stately home, with their coronation robes, just sat in the long gallery, the Duchesses was so small!

DoKcoro.jpg

The Princess Royal in 1953, her choice of tiara for the coronet is perfect. Note she is also wearing another necklace as across her chest - to have that many to choose from!

PRMary.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
What is the purpose/symbolism of everyone putting on a coronet at the moment the soverign is crowned? I always find it strange how the ladies have to wear their tiaras then fit a coronet in behind it. I'm sure there's a reason that someone can tell me...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agreed in spades, Neil! Perfect tiara for the coronet. I don't know, LadyMaria, for sure -- Neil probably does or Bobby. Perhaps to signify their allegiance as nobles to the new king?

--- laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
ood.
neil31uk|1291823328|2790969 said:
The said Prince of Wales Crown c1911, the PoW and his only sister dressed fro the coronation of their parents:

edmary.jpg

And here is the PoW at his investiture in 1910/1911(?) The crown he is wearing is a chaplet and I am not sure as to the reason for using this rather than the PoW crown of his father from 1902. Maybe his young age? It is on display with the 1969 crown and other items of regalia at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. I have seen the Crown Jewels a couple of times and the 1728 and 1902 PoW crowns were amongst them. Its amazing the range of crowns that are out there.

Interestingly the rules of coronets from the Restoration in 1660 do not allow for women to wear a coronet - I wonder if that is the origin of wearing a tiara with a coronet - they simply added it to the finery they already liked to wear.

2322680.jpg

The aforementioned Imperial Crown of India. As you said, made to be removed from the UK. The stones were sent from Indian and it holds over 6000 diamonds, not counting the other gems. It is my favourite and my Mum had to move me on from staring at it when I was 10!

ImCofIn2.jpg

Other coronets at QEII's coronation. The 6 balls (or pearls) of a Baron, the 16 pearls of a Viscount, the strawberry leaves and tine mounted pearls of an Earl, the pearls and leaves of a Marquis and the 8 strawberry leaves of a Duke are al visible. Also, somewhere at the back is a young Duke of Kent in with his coronet. I have seen a Duke and Duchesses coronets at a stately home, with their coronation robes, just sat in the long gallery, the Duchesses was so small!

DoKcoro.jpg

The Princess Royal in 1953, her choice of tiara for the coronet is perfect. Note she is also wearing another necklace as across her chest - to have that many to choose from!

PRMary.jpg

the necklace at her bodice was a present from her husband lord Harewood. originally it was the property of HIH GD Olga Feodorovna.
the other sapphires came from the King and Queen.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QAlexandra from the white drawing room painting of BP with QV coronet crown

p3256.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
not a royal diamond, but a fine large one (33ct)
the Krupp (originally from Vera Krupp) now with Elizabeth Taylor

kruppdiamond.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Queen Margrethe and her engagement ring...some said two 6 ct stones

71047037.jpg

margarethe ring.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1291841889|2791323 said:

Well, she's the living Queen of Hollywood. LOVE this stone. Look at the culet. Beautiful.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1291842084|2791329 said:

Queen Margrethe has a nice Rolex.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1291823504|2790972 said:
What is the purpose/symbolism of everyone putting on a coronet at the moment the soverign is crowned? I always find it strange how the ladies have to wear their tiaras then fit a coronet in behind it. I'm sure there's a reason that someone can tell me...

So far I have not been able to find out, but I will keep searching. Possibly its the rule that you do not out shine the monarch, so you do not wear your coronet until they have the crown on their head. It could also be symbolic - no coronet = the monarch has not been crowned, with coronet the monarch HAS been crowned. Bear in mind the ceremony goes back to 1066 or before. And it is a Holy Sacrament - the anointing that is, so wearing a coronet would be wrong and a sacrilege until after that. A tiara would be ok as it does not cover the crown of the head. But that is all pure speculation on my part, I have no prove.

This picture is the opening of the Swedish Parliament from about 1905 I think. The Princes are all wearing coronets, all of which are set with gems (unlike UK ones). Two of them were displayed on the High Alter at Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's Wedding in the summer.

800px-Oscar_II_Opens_Swedish_Parliament_1905.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
alexander1917|1291841889|2791323 said:

Is this the ring that Richard Burton gave her?

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
alexander1917|1291842084|2791329 said:

Wowzer! What a ring!!

One thing alsways stands out for me about HM Queen Margarethe - she give interviews! She gave on on the BBC once, she came across as professional yet warm and approachable.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
OK, there is one more style of coronet for a Prince/princess that I have found. However, there is no one left that is eligible to wear it! It was introduced before 1917 as a coronet for the daughters of daughters of the monarch and some princes. These were often a princess by virtue of their father being a European Prince that married a UK Princess, settle in the UK and was given the style Highness. In 1917 George V decreed that ALL those with the style of Highness (this also meant a Duke and Duchess that were not a prince/princess too) should use this style of cornet. However, it was a slight contradiction, as in 1917 he also ceased issuing the style of Highness. Princess Helena Victoria and her sister and Princess Maud and Princess Alexandra of Fife were all in this bracket. The last of them died in 1959 so its not been used since.

The last coronet was worn at the 1953 coronation of HM QEII but Princess Helena Victoria (I think he sister was there but too frail to wear the coronet and a tiara). The coronet has four flur-de-lys and four strawberry leaves, the flur-de-lys being at the front, back and sides. Below is a picture of her wearing the coronet in 1953, but it is fuzzy. It is the older lady in the middle of the picture.

2666992.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Still looking for the reason the peers put on their coronets when the monarch is crowned, though I think you guys have come up with the likely reasons.

A discovery: by law a ducal coronet must contain 10 lbs. of gold. Yowza. Got to hope those from 1953 can be resurrected, at the price of gold now -- or that it goes waaaaay down before Prince Charles is crowned.

An account of QEII's coronation stated that the coronation ring had been sized to fit QE's little finger. The Archbishop of Canterbury, however, jammed it onto her 4th finger during the ceremony & the poor Queen only got it off after a long soak in ice water. Queen Victoria had the same experience -- so similar, I wonder if the writer got the stories confused -- in her diary QV wrote, ""The Archbishop had (most awkwardly) put the ring on the wrong finger, and the consequence was that I had the greatest difficulty to take it off again, which I at last did with great pain..."

--- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1291857932|2791625 said:
Still looking for the reason the peers put on their coronets when the monarch is crowned, though I think you guys have come up with the likely reasons.

A discovery: by law a ducal coronet must contain 10 lbs. of gold. Yowza. Got to hope those from 1953 can be resurrected, at the price of gold now -- or that it goes waaaaay down before Prince Charles is crowned.

An account of QEII's coronation stated that the coronation ring had been sized to fit QE's little finger. The Archbishop of Canterbury, however, jammed it onto her 4th finger during the ceremony & the poor Queen only got it off after a long soak in ice water. Queen Victoria had the same experience -- so similar, I wonder if the writer got the stories confused -- in her diary QV wrote, ""The Archbishop had (most awkwardly) put the ring on the wrong finger, and the consequence was that I had the greatest difficulty to take it off again, which I at last did with great pain..."

--- Laurie

the story with the little finger and the 4th finger happend during QV coronation.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Alexander. I thought it might have been mixed up by the reporter. Too many bumbly Archbishops to be likely.

--- Laurie

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1291898058|2791967 said:
Thank you, Alexander. I thought it might have been mixed up by the reporter. Too many bumbly Archbishops to be likely.

--- Laurie

Oh I think there are still many bumbling Bishops!

Not sure about the 10lbs of gold in a Uk ducal coronet. Once apon a time maybe, they also had a gold rod (like a sceptre) but that went out of use many years ago.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
HM has an extra man to hold his hand under HM's hand holding the heavy orb to support her when necessary. but he wasn't needed during the coronation service.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1291919082|2792209 said:
Here is an interesting link....I don't think the "experts" are us. We all agree the Dehil Durbar and the Girls of Great Britain are not the tiaras that Catherine will get.

And the idea of Catherine wearing Sara Ferguson's tiara has NEVER been brought up (though it is a great piece).

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20395222_20447706,00.html

Whom ever wrote the People article and came up with this vote is an IDIOT!! he/she even calls them crowns! and The Duchess of York's tiara was bought especially for her and is a private item, not part of the royal collection. But hey, never let anything as mundane as facts get int he way of a story. Bloody Journalists!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
neil31uk|1291920457|2792242 said:
LadyMaria|1291919082|2792209 said:
Here is an interesting link....I don't think the "experts" are us. We all agree the Dehil Durbar and the Girls of Great Britain are not the tiaras that Catherine will get.

And the idea of Catherine wearing Sara Ferguson's tiara has NEVER been brought up (though it is a great piece).

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20395222_20447706,00.html

Whom ever wrote the People article and came up with this vote is an IDIOT!! he/she even calls them crowns! and The Duchess of York's tiara was bought especially for her and is a private item, not part of the royal collection. But hey, never let anything as mundane as facts get int he way of a story. Bloody Journalists!

Agreed, their fact checking stinks. And they called the Countess of Wessex' wedding tiara "stunning." *shudders*

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Time for a pretty picture:

79019889.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a lucky lucky man that is! Would I like that job! I'd last in it until they caught me preening & parading in front of a mirror.

Neil, great comments on the People article. Pretty hilarious "facts"

--- Laurie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the link, Josefine. Here is a screen capture of Queen Silvia from the 2010 Nobel ceremonies, which are going on right now.

QueenSilviaNobel2010a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A couple of shots of CP Victoria at the 2010 Nobel ceremonies.

CPVictoriaNobel2010a.jpg

CPVicNobel2010.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
2010 Nobel Awards Ceremony just finished. The back of CP Victoria's gorgeous gown.

Nobel2010Back.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results