shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, so sorry about all the mess you'll have to clean! At least you'll be shiny with your tiara :)

What you've heard is actually correct. Each and every gown in the exhibition has been worn at a Nobel Gala (and some at other occasions). You can find some more information about the exhibition (and the link) just a couple of posts above.

PS: Hope your son will be OK soon!

Regards,
Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Poor Maria, the joys of motherhood, huh? Hope today is better.

I caught a comment about the process of fittings, etc., taking a lot of time. All the dresses are well-designed for wearing big jewels, sashes & orders -- almost wondered if Queen Sylvia decided on the jewels first & the dress made to go with them, they work so perfectly. My favorites were 1982, '85, '89 & 2001. Last year's looked a little like a bathrobe. Look forward to seeing what she turns out in this year.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Only had 1 more hurling session last night, but this one showered the coffee table that has 4 compartments where we keep magainzes. I lost my Family Circle, Astronomy, and my People special edition on "The Royals." :cry: Luckily have the original and the updated for 2010, and was the original that is now in the trash covered in half-digested ravioli. Hubby lost some of his Guns 'n Ammo and American Rifleman magazines.

Quite an eclectic assortment of reading materials in the Princess of Puke's household, eh? ;))

Anyway, I played around with translating some of the text that was under the Queen Silvia video. As is typical with free online translators, some didn't translate or make sense, but I think this one might be legit....it makes sense. Apparanly the Queen says at one point, "I am a bit old-fashioned. I prefer quality."

Perhaps this was in response to why she has used Dior so much?

Also interesting on the first gown in 1976...she would have been 2 months pregnant with Princess Victoria. I wonder if it had already been made public. 1978 she would have been abut 4 months pregnant with Prince Carl Phillip. And in 1981 she would have been about 3 months along. The 1981 dress is one of the loosest fitting ones.

She did not attend in 1980. I wonder why...it's not a date that would match with any of her pregnancies.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1291553887|2787746 said:

I caught a comment about the process of fittings, etc., taking a lot of time. All the dresses are well-designed for wearing big jewels, sashes & orders -- almost wondered if Queen Sylvia decided on the jewels first & the dress made to go with them, they work so perfectly. My favorites were 1982, '85, '89 & 2001. Last year's looked a little like a bathrobe. Look forward to seeing what she turns out in this year.

--- Laurie

That totally makes sense. For the most part the colors always goes with the jewels.

I love 1986 (purple with the amethysts) 1987 (emerald green with nine-prong) and 2005 (royal blue with the cameo). 1990 (dark blue velvet with sapphires) would have looked better without the big lace collar.

Interesting way she had to wear the sash in 1994 with the black and white with black flowers dress!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Since the Nobel Prize ceremony is coming up, let's have a game of guesses at what those three leading ladies will wear on their heads!

Queen Silvia: I've noticed she wears the nine-prong a lot. I'll stick with that.
Crown Princess Victoria: I don't think she's worn the Connaught yet. I'd like to see this be her debut for it.
Princess Madeline: I'll go out on a limb for this one and say the Napoleonic Amethysts.

I don't think we'll see the Cameo since that played a big part in the summer's wedding.

Other guesses?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1291559546|2787771 said:
That totally makes sense. For the most part the colors always goes with the jewels.

I love 1986 (purple with the amethysts) 1987 (emerald green with nine-prong) and 2005 (royal blue with the cameo). 1990 (dark blue velvet with sapphires) would have looked better without the big lace collar.

Interesting way she had to wear the sash in 1994 with the black and white with black flowers dress!

Regarding the antique lace collar, in the video Queen Silvia said that it belonged to Queen Josefine and that she also wore the dress at a Luxembourg State Banquet. The then Grand Duchess, Joséphine-Charlotte, was a great-great grand daughter of Queen Josefine. I'd say it a nice gesture of The Queen to do so, even thoug I'm not fond of the dress at all.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291553887|2787746 said:

--- Laurie

I don't know how it works for The Queen, but she's worn some of the dresses more than once and with a different ensemble of jewels. The 2005 dress for example, HM has worn with the Cameo and Leuchtenberg parures and the with Queen Victoria's sapphire and pearl necklace and the Nine Prong tiara. The 2007 with the Nine Prong, diamond riviere and cross and this year with the sapphire parure. The gown from the 2002 Nobels has been worn with two different rivieres and tiaras and once with the sapphires.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1291560012|2787775 said:
Since the Nobel Prize ceremony is coming up, let's have a game of guesses at what those three leading ladies will wear on their heads!

Queen Silvia: I've noticed she wears the nine-prong a lot. I'll stick with that.
Crown Princess Victoria: I don't think she's worn the Connaught yet. I'd like to see this be her debut for it.
Princess Madeline: I'll go out on a limb for this one and say the Napoleonic Amethysts.

I don't think we'll see the Cameo since that played a big part in the summer's wedding.

Other guesses?

I'll play!

Queen Silvia - The Sapphire parure, because it hasn't attended a Nobel since 2006
The Crown Princess - hmm, that's thoug tough... Maybe the Baden fringe, although I'd love to see a new one of her (I mean a new purchise)
Princess Madeleine - The royal calendar sais she won't attend
Princess Christina (if she attends) - the four button tiara or her own pearl tiara

That's for the Nobel Ceremony itself, but what about the second night?

Last year HM wore the ruby tiara, so it's out. Maybe the Nine prong or the modern fringe?
The Crown Princess - the amethysts or her own tiara (yes, I'd love to see it)
Princess Christina (if she attends) - the same as abbove or the Connaught tiara

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I asked this before in a different forum but I wasn't able to follow up on it.

Will someone please explain to me how to post pictures at PS 2.0?

I'd like to post some pictures of royal jewels.

Don't get me wrong. Discussing royal personages is great but I personally want to contribute some more posts about jewels themselves.

Thanks!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, that's great Danny! I hopewe'll see your photos soon.

Lets see if I can help you with uploading photos:
1) Click on upload attachment below the text box and the back/save/preview/submit buttons
2) then click Browse and choose a photo you'd like to post
3)Once you've selcted a file, click add the file and it will upload.

If you want, you can add a comment and/or place the photo between some text. If you've mistaken, then you can delete the file.
You can upload up to 4 files.

I hope I helped you.

Bobby

upload.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love to see your pics, Danny.

It's easy enough -- once you click on Upload Attachment, then click on Browse & you should get your own computer files where you can find the photo you want, double click that & its path will appear in the PS window, then click Add the File, and Bob's your uncle. Like Bobby said!

--- Laurie

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad the video was enjoyed and sparked some discussion! And I do want to apologize, I should have prefaced that it was a video about the Queen's Nobel gowns. I'm an avid follower of the fashion/jewelry choices of the Swedish Royal family at the Nobel, so I just assumed everyone would know :naughty: You know what they say about assuming...

Anyway, I personally hope the Queen uses the sapphires this year, as one of you mentioned that she hadn't worn them since 2006. I'm curious to see how Prince Daniel blends in at the ceremony this year! And I honestly didn't make the connection that the ceremony is this week! Glitter galore!

And Lady Maria, I hope your brood is feeling better...even if it's for a gross reason, at least you get to wear some glitter!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1291563500|2787826 said:
LadyMaria|1291559546|2787771 said:

Regarding the antique lace collar, in the video Queen Silvia said that it belonged to Queen Josefine and that she also wore the dress at a Luxembourg State Banquet. The then Grand Duchess, Joséphine-Charlotte, was a great-great grand daughter of Queen Josefine. I'd say it a nice gesture of The Queen to do so, even thoug I'm not fond of the dress at all.

Bobby

That is interesting about the lace collar. It does make me look at it a bit differently. I agree, it was a nice gesture.

So far so good on the sick kid front! :))

robinj

Shiny_Rock
About Nobel;

Queen Silvia didn't attend the 1980 Nobel festivities because she had the flu. I think it's the only time she has cancelled.

The dark blue dress with lace may not be the prettiest, but she chose that one because her father had passed away october the same year, so she didn't feel comfortable wearing a to festive dress.

Madeleine has annonced that she will not be present at the Nobel prize cermony this year, so there will only be three tiaras to hope for;
I think the Queen will wear the Leuchtenberg Saphires. She hasn't worn them in years now... I've been hoping for them to show up at Nobel for many years and I keep on hoping...

I'm hoping for Victoria to wear the Connaught tiara, but I think the Baden Fringe is a safer bet... I don't think she has used it since january this year...?

I think that Princess Christina will wear her own tiara.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DANNY, WHERE ARE YOUR PICS????

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting that, Neil. I'm really surprised the ring sold so much higher than the tiara. I'm drooling to know who bought the tiara.

And heck, if I'd known my 2nd favorite piece was going to sell for so little, I would've bought it! Only BP 265000.

Portlandbow.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
WoW! The ring went for more than GBP 2mln?!

Laurie, if I knew the bow brooch would sell for so little, I'd have been there too, even if 265k is a bit too much for me. That's one of my favs from the Portland collection.
What's your other favourite? Mine are the antique diamond parure (lot #333) and the festoon necklace (lot #340).

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
As I understand it the ruby is a pigeon blood red ruby which is very rare and highly sought after. also, at over 9cts its one of the largest of that colour, which is probably why it made so much money.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1291675030|2789177 said:
WoW! The ring went for more than GBP 2mln?!

Laurie, if I knew the bow brooch would sell for so little, I'd have been there too, even if 265k is a bit too much for me. That's one of my favs from the Portland collection.
What's your other favourite? Mine are the antique diamond parure (lot #333) and the festoon necklace (lot #340).

Bobby

My favourites are the ruby ring and the s-shaped necklace - lot #335. The tiara is also a favourite.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1291675774|2789187 said:
As I understand it the ruby is a pigeon blood red ruby which is very rare and highly sought after. also, at over 9cts its one of the largest of that colour, which is probably why it made so much money.

Well, yes, I know that a piegon blood coloured ruby of that size is quite valuable, yet the couple of milliion pounds for which this ring went is a bit too much for me to imagine. This is a real fortune! Just imagine how rich you have to be in order to afford it... I certenly would've went bankrupt if I bought it... I'm sure this one of the highest prices paid for a ruby ring at an auction.

Oh my! How could I forogot the tiara?!? Of course it's a favourit too! The S fringe necklace is also nice (but aren't they all?).

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The tiara is my favorite Portland piece, Bobby. It's just soooo superb. I think the bow brooch is my 2nd favorite & the sapphire stomacher. I also like this brooch & can't figure out why -- it's not the usual style & color combination I prefer, maybe the fluidity of the diamond design attracts me. The S necklace doesn't say much to me, however. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to buy something from that auction? or another! I'd have to wear it all to the supermarket, though, about the dressiest place I ever get to! It would sure knock 'em dead in the veggie section.

--- Laurie

Brooch1.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291643620|2788752 said:

--- Laurie

My ankle is hurting today and I had to fight with my insurance company for 1 1/2 hours about a separate medication. Then tomorrow I get my last pain medication refill. Insurance will pay for it tomorrow morning but not tonight. Insurance wanted me to go a week without the other medication (a week) because of some arbitrary they rule they have. I had to get a one week supply. It took that whole time with me and the pharmacist and the insurance company and the doctor being on the phone- for 1 1/2 hours to work out a solution. I was like "one week is a long time to go without the medication I need. The doctor restarted the prescription. You (insurance company) want me to go without it for a week? Seriously?). So I don't feel my best but please give me a few days to get my medications back on track. I appreciate Bobby's help and I haven't forgotten you all.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
maybe a ring is reasier to wear. I mean, events for a tiara are very seldom in our days. and such a easy recognisable piece. I mean put it on your head and everyone knows that you got it at the auction.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh Danny, honey, I hope you're feeling better today. Ins. co's can be such a pain in the *&*(^. Mend up!

alexander1917|1291722129|2789728 said:
maybe a ring is reasier to wear. I mean, events for a tiara are very seldom in our days. and such a easy recognisable piece. I mean put it on your head and everyone knows that you got it at the auction.

Very good point, Alexander. From a wearing point of view as well as an investment one. Re-sale would be better for a ring than a tiara. About 10 yrs ago I read an interview w/the Duchess of Bedford where she said life is so much less formal than in the previous Duchess's day & that she hadn't even worn her tiara in 10 years. As to buying it at the auction, so many well-heeled folks buy and sell through those houses, it's probably like on PS when friends discover someone bought such-&-such: "Oh, YOU bought that gorgeous thing! I was hoping somebody I knew did!"

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I totally understand that a rare large ruby would sell for more than a tiara and of course one has more opportunities to wear the ring than the tiara, but slil this looks a bit strange to me... Anyway, hope these jewels will be worn from time to time. They deserve it.
Enough for the auction!

Danny, I'm sooo sorry to hear that you're not feeling good that you have problems with the insurance company... Please take your time and when you feel better post your photos:)

Laurie, I have an update on The Dowager Duchess of Bedford - she hasn't worn a tiara in 25 now. HG said that in an interview about the fate of the "Girls in Pearls". You can read the article here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-Decades-high-society-cover-girls-fared.html. I personally found it interesting.

Regards,
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1291700191|2789634 said:
JewelFreak|1291643620|2788752 said:

--- Laurie

My ankle is hurting today and I had to fight with my insurance company for 1 1/2 hours about a separate medication. Then tomorrow I get my last pain medication refill. Insurance will pay for it tomorrow morning but not tonight. Insurance wanted me to go a week without the other medication (a week) because of some arbitrary they rule they have. I had to get a one week supply. It took that whole time with me and the pharmacist and the insurance company and the doctor being on the phone- for 1 1/2 hours to work out a solution. I was like "one week is a long time to go without the medication I need. The doctor restarted the prescription. You (insurance company) want me to go without it for a week? Seriously?). So I don't feel my best but please give me a few days to get my medications back on track. I appreciate Bobby's help and I haven't forgotten you all.

I feel your pain Danny. I will never forget the year-long insurance battle I had when my son was born. He was a month early and we had a two week stay in a Neo-natal intensive care unit...insurance didn't want to cover most of it and tried to stick us with a $14,000 bill. Please note the word tried...I fought it tooth and nail and got it down to about $1500 in the end.

Hang in there, be persistant. If your paitence can outlast theirs, then you will win!!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
You are all wishing you were in my science class today. We've been studying rocks and minerals. What better rock and mineral to study than DIAMONDS! We've done basic mineral properties like luster and hardness (all hail the Mohs scale). Today we are doing properites specific to diamonds, namely the 4C's. I tell the students that they may all have to deal with this some day....boys will have to buy the ring so they should know the basics and girls want a ring they will like so they should know the basics. And I plan on throwing in a picture of Catherine Middleton's engagement ring for good measure!

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1291684007|2789368 said:
The tiara is my favorite Portland piece, Bobby. It's just soooo superb. I think the bow brooch is my 2nd favorite & the sapphire stomacher. I also like this brooch & can't figure out why -- it's not the usual style & color combination I prefer, maybe the fluidity of the diamond design attracts me. The S necklace doesn't say much to me, however. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to buy something from that auction? or another! I'd have to wear it all to the supermarket, though, about the dressiest place I ever get to! It would sure knock 'em dead in the veggie section.

--- Laurie

This is a lovely piece, Laurie, and I agree about the attraction of the design. I think I'd like it better if the brooch had only one colored stone in the center and the rest diamonds. No so crazy about the combo of colors. And I realized by taking a second look at the picture that it probably doesn't get worn on the horizontal which I thought at first, because the emerald? has a crown setting on its tip which most likely goes on top. Either way, I'd love to see this handed to me in a brightly wrapped box!!

Feel better, Danny; I hope your problems with the insurance company will soon be over and you'll be on the mend very quickly.

Patricia

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1291733451|2789810 said:
You are all wishing you were in my science class today. We've been studying rocks and minerals. What better rock and mineral to study than DIAMONDS! We've done basic mineral properties like luster and hardness (all hail the Mohs scale). Today we are doing properites specific to diamonds, namely the 4C's. I tell the students that they may all have to deal with this some day....boys will have to buy the ring so they should know the basics and girls want a ring they will like so they should know the basics. And I plan on throwing in a picture of Catherine Middleton's engagement ring for good measure!

That's sounds very, very intersting, Maria! Wish we paid more attention to the Mohs scale and diamonds in particular at school...

Now, Miss Middleton's ring sound nice if you want to illustrate the scale, but if you're going to focus on diamonds, then I'd say show the kids one of these rings (or all of them):
The Duchess of Cornwall's

The late Princess of Monaco (Grace)'s

Princess Soraya of Iran's

camilla-parker-bowles-ring.jpg

graceering.jpg

Sorayasarahiran09mz.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results