carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1291154881|2783288 said:
Thank you for the reply, Neil :)

The former Princess Alexandra came to mind. That's, IMO, the way a divroce (royal or not) should be handled. What they did to her titles was also very wise. And what's even more important is that the two families (the royals and Alexandra's) seem to be on very good terms.

Anyway, lets get back to royal jewels... well, not entirely...

Here's a very interesting article about The late Queen Mother I found yesterday. The photos are interesting to see, and I'm sure new to most. Do you think HM's wearing the leek brooch from the ladies of North Wales in the pic with Jimmy Carter?

The article came in connection to the Queen Mum's official biography - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-kissed-U-S-president-And-lived-day-last.html

Bobby

I think it's the brooch.

wonder when we will see Queen Alexandra's pearl necklace again

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1291201861|2783939 said:
Why would Jimmy Carter be kissing the Queen Mother on the lips? How strange.

I have to say since it was part of the this article it's hard to know what to make of the Queen Mother's lack of concern about money. I mean I don't have an opinion on that. She just didn't seem to care about money at all. Interesting.

I have no idea...and I find it strange as the ex-President can be HM's son. Maybe someday this scene will be included in President Carter's memoires/biography?

Re. financial troubles - Believe it or not, The Queen Mother was a huge spender. In the begining she was funded by her mother and later by The Queen and The Prince of Wales. But I'm sure she did care about money, just because I'm sure she loved her extravagant life. She just didn't seem to know how to spend properly:)
Here's another interesting article - this time about Queen Elizabeth's finances and debts - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ravagance-How-Queen-Mother-left-7m-debts.html

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1291207085|2783974 said:
I think it's the brooch.

wonder when we will see Queen Alexandra's pearl necklace again

Thanks!

Maybe we'll see the pearl and diamond necklace next year on a certain future Princess....

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Did anyone see in the news that the Duchess of Windsor's Cartier Leopard bracelet sold at auction this week for £4.5 MILLION! The 20 items of hers that were int he auction were expected to make just £3million between them. This price is with the taxes and buyers premium etc! I think he Flamingo brooch went for about £1.5million!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's an amazing article about the QM's spending. I knew she was extravagant & worried her financial people but had no idea she was quite so extreme. I doubt she didn't care about money; she simply had absolutely no idea of its value nor care much about the cost of what she bought. And why should she? She wasn't a stupid woman, by far; she knew somebody would fix things up. Shrewd is more the word I'd use about the QM, not to mention a strong, hilariously humorous & full human being in every sense of the word.

WOW on the DoW's bracelet & the rest of the sale. In looking at jewel auction results the last few months I've noticed that many many items sold for double to quadruple their estimates. Things are looking up in that group!

prince.of.preslav|1291149783|2783185 said:
Neil & Laurie, isn't The Prince of Wales still a widower in the eyes in the Church? He and Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles couldn't be married religiously as The Duchess' former husband is still living, but there was a Service of Thanksgiving at the Abbey, right.
On another note, can not the Church of Engalnd dissolve a marriage in the way the Roman Catholic Church can?

Bobby

Bobby --

I don't know if the C of E goes so far as to dissolve a marriage but they do now recognize civil divorce. Charles is, to the Church, a divorced man. Since 2002 the C of E has allowed individual priests to marry divorced people whose exes are still living, if the cleric so desires. But they're unwilling to do it wholesale, without considering the contributions to the divorce made by the prospective bride or groom. Here's the best explanation I found, which explains why the priest consulted would not marry Charles & Camilla:

Under civil law, clergy have the capacity to marry any two people (as long as the couple can legally marry). The Church advises clergy to think carefully before remarrying couples and to ask them questions to find out how committed they are. The final decision rests with the clergy member.

The Church's suggested questions concentrate on the intentions of the couple and whether allowing the remarriage would be harmful to anybody involved:

* Does the couple understand that divorce is a breach of God's will for marriage?
* Do they have a determination for the new marriage to be a life-long faithful partnership?
* Do they seem willing to explore and grow in the Christian faith?
* Has enough time passed since the divorce for everyone to have recovered, and are there complicating factors from previous marriages (court proceedings or child support payments, for example)?
* Has either of the parties been divorced more than once?
* Was their relationship a direct cause of the breakdown of a previous marriage?

Charles and Camilla

This last question became very pertinent when Prince Charles married the divorcée Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005. Had their adultery contributed to the failure of Camilla's first marriage? The Church thought so.

The royal couple could not marry in church. They had to marry in a civil ceremony, although church rules allowed their marriage to be blessed in church afterwards.

Seems the post-wedding blessing was by way of compromise by the Church for the future King who will one day be its head.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1291246308|2784552 said:
Did anyone see in the news that the Duchess of Windsor's Cartier Leopard bracelet sold at auction this week for £4.5 MILLION! The 20 items of hers that were int he auction were expected to make just £3million between them. This price is with the taxes and buyers premium etc! I think he Flamingo brooch went for about £1.5million!

I posted it here. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/page-243']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/page-243[/URL]

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I had seen the panther bracelet and the cross bracelet, but I hadn't seen this little tidbit from the Duchess of Windsor's Jewel Auction. Note what tiara Queen Mary is wearing!

queenmarybroock.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The bids for almost everything in that auction hit the ceiling. The picture frame above was estimated at BP30K - 40K & sold for BP59K. Two cigarette cases really went nuts: one estimated at BP4K - 6K went to BP42K, geeze. Another with an estimate of BP6K-8K ended up at BP25K.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1291256945|2784752 said:
I had seen the panther bracelet and the cross bracelet, but I hadn't seen this little tidbit from the Duchess of Windsor's Jewel Auction. Note what tiara Queen Mary is wearing!

That's a very nice item. It reminds me of the Faberge photo frames.

The tiara - We know that Diana, when Princess of Wales, didn't like wearing the Lover's Knot because it was heavy and caused her headaches and often wore the Spencer tiara instead. But it was one Queen Mary's favourites and later Elizabeth II wore it regularly in her early yeas as Queen. Also, there were/are other such tiaras and (afaik) their respective owners didn't mind wearing them.The other tiaras were actually heavier.
So, do you think that headaches were the actual reson for Diana or she just didn't like the particualr tiara for whatever weason (style, size, etc)? After all I doubt The Queen would want her daughter-in-law to feel uncomfortable, don't you think? And what if the Spencers didn't have a tiara (Kate's case)?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Look at the impressive diamond and sapphire wing brooches that Sheikha Mozah wore at FIFA’s Executive Committee for the bid for 2018 & 2022 games. This woman certanly has the ability to pull off huge jewels, IMO. The wings remind me a lot of these Westminster pair - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/chaumet-wings.htm - does anyone know if the Westminster's brooches/tiara was sold?

I don't have photos, but here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIizZOPgNA&feature=player_embedded

A very nice speech by Her Highness, I must say.
Forgot to add - Congratulations to Quatar for winning the 2022 Championship bid!!!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291251225|2784650 said:
Bobby --

I don't know if the C of E goes so far as to dissolve a marriage but they do now recognize civil divorce. Charles is, to the Church, a divorced man. Since 2002 the C of E has allowed individual priests to marry divorced people whose exes are still living, if the cleric so desires. But they're unwilling to do it wholesale, without considering the contributions to the divorce made by the prospective bride or groom. Here's the best explanation I found, which explains why the priest consulted would not marry Charles & Camilla:

Seems the post-wedding blessing was by way of compromise by the Church for the future King who will one day be its head.

--- Laurie

Laurie, thank you very, very much for this comprehensive reply! It's very much appreciated!

Regards,
Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is some brooch(es) the sheika is wearing! She does carry it (them) off well, as you said, Bobby.

Can't find anything about the Westminster valkyrie's wings tiara & brooches having been sold (or not). They make very stylish brooches but imho about the ugliest tiara I ever saw!

--- Laurie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I did a screen capture of the sheika during her speech. Amazing brooch.

qatarwingedbrooch.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1291312636|2785241 said:

The tiara - We know that Diana, when Princess of Wales, didn't like wearing the Lover's Knot because it was heavy and caused her headaches and often wore the Spencer tiara instead. But it was one Queen Mary's favourites and later Elizabeth II wore it regularly in her early yeas as Queen. Also, there were/are other such tiaras and (afaik) their respective owners didn't mind wearing them.The other tiaras were actually heavier.
So, do you think that headaches were the actual reson for Diana or she just didn't like the particualr tiara for whatever weason (style, size, etc)? After all I doubt The Queen would want her daughter-in-law to feel uncomfortable, don't you think? And what if the Spencers didn't have a tiara (Kate's case)?

Bobby

I don't know but it looked great on Diana.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That it did, Danny. I liked it much better than the Spencer tiara, thought it was much more graceful.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291338901|2785655 said:
That is some brooch(es) the sheika is wearing! She does carry it (them) off well, as you said, Bobby.

Can't find anything about the Westminster valkyrie's wings tiara & brooches having been sold (or not). They make very stylish brooches but imho about the ugliest tiara I ever saw!

--- Laurie

Exactly! Stylish an classical as brooches but a disaster as tiara.

Princess Caroline of Monaco, The Princess of Hanover has worn a similar pair of brooches:
*hope we'll never see Caro with a wing tiara, though maybe a pair of nice hairslides

Now when I'm looking at Princess Caroline & Sheikha Mazah's brooches I start wondering if they're not the same pieces. Any thoughts? Was HRH only loaned the jewels or did she sell them privately (to Sh. Mozah)?

Bobby

madv2c.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I can imagine standing in front of a mirror trying to figure out how in heck to place those! Not easy.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1291415246|2786725 said:
I wonder when the time will come for Princess Astrid to convert them into a pair of brooches...

NOW! Oh dear, it looks like the pilot gave it to her on an SAS flight when she was a kid!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

Bobby

What was the last time Diana wore the Lover's Knot?

I have to wonder if Diana stopped wearing the Lover's Knot once she realized that her marriage was essentially over. Perhaps she didn't like to wear it as it was a reminder of how much the royal family contributed to her problems by not supporting her when she needed it. Seems to me that in later years she preferred the Spencer tiara because it was her family tiara, not the royal family's.

Just a thought....

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I know Diana was proud of her own family's heritage (and why not) but beyond that I couldn't speculate.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
Very nice picture and frame! I find the photo particularly interesting because so far it is the only picture I have seen of QM with the lover's knot tiara without the pearl spikes.

Cordata

Rough_Rock

Bobby
Actually I can very well believe in Diana's headaches. As I know from my own experience, some people are more prone to headaches than others. Queen Mary probably was the most enthusiastic tiara wearer of all times. It is possible that she never suffered from headaches regardless of the weight of her tiaras. I never heard that QEII suffered from headaches caused by the weight of her tiaras. On the other hand it is well known that Queen Beatrix prefers small tiaras because of her headaches. Therefore I think that Diana just belonged to those people who are prone to headaches. Remember that she had never worn a tiara before her wedding. So it is likely that at the time when she was given the lover's knot tiara, nobody knew that the weight would cause any problems for her.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time believing that Diana had a problem with it, Bobby. She wore it a lot.

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Someone kindly posted this on what I believe was the RJWMB (if someone who posts there remembers where it was, please let me know and I'll edit for credit!). I don't understand Swedish, but Queen Silvia has a very delicate and soothing voice to listen to. It provides some interesting views of the Nobel dresses, as well as some glittering footage. If we have any native Swedish speakers who post here, perhaps they can translate what she's speaking about.

Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.detkungligabrollopet.nu/ebbasblogg/2010/12/kungen-ar-intresserad/

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Shadowedrain, thanks for posting that! Marvelous to see. Wish they had subtitles; would love to know what she's saying. How did you even know it was Nobel dresses?

The beginning entry procession was blinding, with the jewels sparkling. Fabulous.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys & gals for the replies regarding Princess Diana and the Lover's Knot tiara. I really wanted to read your comments. I personally tend to believe what she said about the headaches as (IMO) it's impossible not to love this tiara.

Bobby

5211796_6.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
shadowed_rain|1291498691|2787407 said:
Someone kindly posted this on what I believe was the RJWMB (if someone who posts there remembers where it was, please let me know and I'll edit for credit!). I don't understand Swedish, but Queen Silvia has a very delicate and soothing voice to listen to. It provides some interesting views of the Nobel dresses, as well as some glittering footage. If we have any native Swedish speakers who post here, perhaps they can translate what she's speaking about.

Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.detkungligabrollopet.nu/ebbasblogg/2010/12/kungen-ar-intresserad/

Very, very interesting video, shadowed rain! What a pitty I understood so little of it (certenly not the parts in Swedish)...
But perhaps our Josefine can help us with a short summery as she's dome before?
Anyway, from a previous discussion about the video and if I remeber correctly, HM Queen Silvia sais that the most special gown for her is the golden Dior from the 1976 as back then only she and The King knew that under the dress The Queen was not alone. HM was in the early stages of her pregnancy with the future Crown Princess. And that made them both very happy.

The video must've been done to highlight (promote) the exhibition of The Queen's Nobel dresses in the Royal Palace in Stockholm. HM's dresses from 1976 to 2008 can be seen on-line here with a small description about the designer and the fabric used - http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/award_ceremonies/queensgowns/

PS: That's wonderful way to get in the mood for the Nobel Prize Ceremonies and the accompanying events!

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Time to crack out the Princess of Puke tiara...just cleaned up two batches of puke in the last hour...obviously my son has come down with a stomach bug.

Before the vomit started flying, I was watching the clip on Silvia. I know from the wedding this summer that "Drottning" is Swedish for queen. Judging from the couple of comments that were in English, it sounds like it was an exhibition set up in one of the royal palaces. They were obviously formal dresses. I thought I heard something about "premier nobel" then they showed the yellow dress, with the date 1976. That would have been the first year Queen Silvia attended the Nobel Prize. When they showed the yellow dress, Dior's name showed up next to it. Then they showed her wedding dress, and Dior's name showed up again. The next thing I heard had Dior's name in it and it sounded like a question...maybe something like "why do you like Dior so much?" And it looked like she was wearing the nine-prong tiara.

Then my son threw up.

I did find this link...great shots of the queen for each Nobel Prize ceremony.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/award_ceremonies/queensgowns/

And it appears that this coming week is the 2010 Nobel Prizes. Since the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway are still on their private trip around the world, they obviously won't be attending.

Uh oh...I just heard something that doesn't sound good....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results