carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And another one - long and graduated:

and a photo of HM with the Silver Jubilee perals:

That makes a total of 10, right? Far more from Field's 3 necklace!

Bobby

52111218.jpg

Attachments

• rgergr.bmp
    501.6 KB · Views: 758

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1290978394|2781107 said:
Feeshalori|1290977226|2781100 said:
So hopefully the POW will snap them up for Kate.

Yowza, at around a half million bucks for the tiara alone? Would be a super idea, but I'll bet he gets his mother to rummage around in the jewel room & come up with a family tiara. Hand-me-downs are lots cheaper. Sigh, somebody hand one down to me!

--- Laurie

Well, one can always dream about acquiring that tiara for Kate since it'd suit her so well, but it would probably be more feasible to recycle a tiara from the vaults, especially if the RF want to be viewed as trimming back on expenditures. And does the RF really need another tiara when so many have gone unworn and should see the light of day? Personally, I think they should invest money in refurbishing the Strathmore tiara because of its historical significance and since the style would be wonderful for a young princess. I'm sure the Queen Mum would agree. ;-)

Patricia

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1290908635|2780676 said:
Wouldn't you love to be the model? Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

--- Laurie

P.S. All of that suite would be very nice on kate.

Yes, I'd love to be a model, but for an obvious reason I can ot be. It was also nice to see that they did some rather nice hairdo to show how the tiara is supposed to be worn.
Nothing like here - as if they put it in the last minute before the photo was taken. What a pity. The tiara looks like sth a pageant Queen would wear, yet it's a valuable piece of history.

As to Catherine - I'm affraid we'll not see the diademe and/or stomacher on her. The Windsors just don't need another tiara (albeit a gorgeous one). I don't believe The Prince of Wales will buy such an expensive a jewels from a public auction. I expect The Queen to give her a tiara (not too grand and long unseen) and the Prince of Wales and The Duchess to present her with a modern diamond suite (something like Sarah York's).

Bobby

gas1019835005op3.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Feeshalori|1290983961|2781173 said:
Well, one can always dream about acquiring that tiara for Kate since it'd suit her so well, but it would probably be more feasible to recycle a tiara from the vaults, especially if the RF want to be viewed as trimming back on expenditures. And does the RF really need another tiara when so many have gone unworn and should see the light of day? Personally, I think they should invest money in refurbishing the Strathmore tiara because of its historical significance and since the style would be wonderful for a young princess. I'm sure the Queen Mum would agree. ;-)

Patricia

We seem to be sharing exactly the same opinion, Patricia!

And, by the way, you have a very beautiful name!

Bobby

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290982086|2781149 said:
Elizabeth II's three row pearl necklace - Part 2

4)3 rows of small graduated pearls with large gaps between the strands:
5)a long graduated necklace with gap between the 1st and 2nd strands:
6)a long necklace with three neat rows of uniform pearls:
7)a long three row necklace (similar to #6):

Oh, I'm loving all these pictures of the pearls especially the one where HM is meeting the Pope. My eyes just went immediately to the multi-strand pearl bracelet she's wearing. Is that a diamond cluster in the center?? I'm so salivating over this!!! :love:

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290984292|2781178 said:
Feeshalori|1290983961|2781173 said:

Patricia

We seem to be sharing exactly the same opinion, Patricia!

And, by the way, you have a very beautiful name!

Bobby

Thank you so much, Bobby. That's very sweet and debonair of you to say!!

Patricia

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290983132|2781165 said:
And another one - long and graduated:[attachment=1]52111218.jpg[/attachment]

and a photo of HM with the Silver Jubilee perals:[attachment=0]rgergr.bmp[/attachment]

That makes a total of 10, right? Far more from Field's 3 necklace!

Bobby

I only repeaded what Field wrote. written in the late 1980's!
of course she wear more then this 3 necklaces.

sometime she made also erros but has more correct data then Menkes.

and some could be also came from QEtQM. of course her large 3 rows are not seen yet.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Feeshalori|1290984413|2781180 said:
prince.of.preslav|1290982086|2781149 said:
Elizabeth II's three row pearl necklace - Part 2

4)3 rows of small graduated pearls with large gaps between the strands:[attachment=3]Queen+Elizabeth+II+Meets+Governor+South+Australia+G794g-q3Na3l.jpg[/attachment]
5)a long graduated necklace with gap between the 1st and 2nd strands:[attachment=2]QueenElizabeth9654.jpg[/attachment]
6)a long necklace with three neat rows of uniform pearls:[attachment=1]Brooch_CountyofSurreyNov07.jpg[/attachment]
7)a long three row necklace (similar to #6):[attachment=0]UT0050504.jpg[/attachment]

Oh, I'm loving all these pictures of the pearls especially the one where HM is meeting the Pope. My eyes just went immediately to the multi-strand pearl bracelet she's wearing. Is that a diamond cluster in the center?? I'm so salivating over this!!! :love:

yes, it's a diamond clasp. some kind of flower...whem I remember right from QM

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290984021|2781174 said:
Wouldn't you love to be the model? Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

--- Laurie

Yes, I'd love to be a model, but for an obvious reason I can ot be. It was also nice to see that they did some rather nice hairdo to show how the tiara is supposed to be worn.
Nothing like here - as if they put it in the last minute before the photo was taken. What a pity. The tiara looks like sth a pageant Queen would wear, yet it's a valuable piece of history.

Bobby

That tiara is sticking up way too high where you can really see the base and it's a tall tiara to begin with. If the model's hair was puffed up more, it wouldn't look so bad. I'm not caring for the design, either (but if anyone wanted to give it to me, I wouldn't decline!). And you're right, Bobby, she does look like a pageant queen. Do you know what is this tiara and other gems?

Patricia

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Feeshalori|1290986058|2781207 said:
prince.of.preslav|1290984021|2781174 said:

--- Laurie

Nothing like here - as if they put it in the last minute before the photo was taken. What a pity. The tiara looks like sth a pageant Queen would wear, yet it's a valuable piece of history.[attachment=0]gas1019835005op3.jpg[/attachment]

Bobby

That tiara is sticking up way too high where you can really see the base and it's a tall tiara to begin with. If the model's hair was puffed up more, it wouldn't look so bad. I'm not caring for the design, either (but if anyone wanted to give it to me, I wouldn't decline!). And you're right, Bobby, she does look like a pageant queen. Do you know what is this tiara and other gems?

Patricia

those jewels are from the Portland Collection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winifred_Cavendish-Bentinck,_Duchess_of_Portland

mistress of the robes of Queen Alexandra

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290984987|2781189 said:

and some could be also came from QEtQM. of course her large 3 rows are not seen yet.

Oh, yes, I do know that you were just quoting Mrs. Field! I didn't wont to prove her/you wrong, but just made a small reserch using my files because of a question asked. Of course Queen Elizabeth's (QEQM) pearls came to my mind as a possible provenance.
Hope you didn't feel offended in one way or another. You should know that I appreciate you contributions to this (and another site) very much!

On another note, which book on Royal Jewels do you think is the best (with fewest mistakes and interesting info)? Menkes and Feild obviously are not that reliable. Munn's Bible, although only about tiaras and not only royal, is quite reliable, isn't it? And I believe Prince Michael of Greece has writen a book on the subject, too. No?

Best wishes,
Bobby

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290986846|2781222 said:

Oh, yes, I do know that you were just quoting Mrs. Field! I didn't wont to prove her/you wrong, but just made a small reserch using my files because of a question asked. Of course Queen Elizabeth's (QEQM) pearls came to my mind as a possible provenance.
Hope you didn't feel offended in one way or another. You should know that I appreciate you contributions to this (and another site) very much!

On another note, which book on Royal Jewels do you think is the best (with fewest mistakes and interesting info)? Menkes and Feild obviously are not that reliable. Munn's Bible, although only about tiaras and not only royal, is quite reliable, isn't it? And I believe Prince Michael of Greece has writen a book on the subject, too. No?

Best wishes,
Bobby

Well, I for one am very appreciative over the amount of research and the photos posted so quickly as a result of my pearl question. Everyone seems to have such great resources at hand and the results are amazing. I'm still enthralled over all those pearl necklaces and bracelets.

Thanks so much to everyone!

Patricia

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock

Best wishes,
Bobby

oh no, I'm not offended. of course sometimes a bit yes. but more about myself or my lack of photo archives (much was lost some years ago) but I'm also very happy to learn some new things.

I think Field is better than Menkes in many ways. as you saif Munn is only about Tiaras - as it was (for me) more a catalouge of the exhibition at the V&A.
and of Greece I only have the one about the Tsars.

I always think no-one really knows the history and the amount of ALL jewels in the basement of Buckingham Palace. of course one knew it - Queen Mary.
and her little books. saying what comes from whom (person or organisation, country) and which should kept in the family.

of course some great experts talk much about some items (like the Rundell here) but noone knows if it still exists or not. I mean f. e. the Dehli came in 2002 back into light (for the V&A) and was marked "loan by HM QEtQM" - surprise - I call such "events"

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Feeshalori|1290986058|2781207 said:

Patricia

Yes, it's tall, yet I think it can be send to a good jeweler to remove/shorten the base. That would make it more wearable (I can see Mathilde of Belgium with it). aNYWAY, as I said earlier, it's a valuable piece of history and jewellery. It's one of the few remaining Faberge tiaras and the provenence makes it even More important.
The jewels in the photo came from the collection of HRH Princess Maria Gabriella di Savoia, daughter of the last Italian King and Queen. The Princess inherited the tiara from her mother and sold it along with other jewels from her (mother's) collection. The story of the tiara before Princess Maria Gabriella inherited it can be found here - http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...8143&sid=ab560316-fad2-405f-b4f2-ecec5db26421

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the pearl photos, Bobby. Quite an enterprise for you; impressive -- you must have gone blind counting & comparing pearls! I'm sorry I didn't catch your comment about the aquamarines -- must have been reading with only one eye.

Alexander, your point is good that there's so much in the RF's collection, it would be very hard to get every single thing right, especially when the fate of some items are unknown, though some writers are more accurate than others. Since much of it is owned by the family, they can't be faulted for not wanting to share all details -- but I'll tell you, if there's a heaven & I get there, I hope it includes a few days in the RF's jewel closets, maybe with Queen Mary along to answer questions (and a mirror so I can play -- though I wouldn't look like the model wearing the Portland pieces. But, then again, if it's heaven, maybe I could look however I want!)

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

Best wishes,
Bobby

I just got the Prince Michael of Greece book...it is on royal jewels. I meant to scan some pictures over the break and post them here, but I got side-tracked buying a new truck. My old one finally had an engine issue that told me it was time to buy a new one. Alas, there went my down-payment on the Portland tiara!

One thing I will say about the Prince Michael book is that the pictures are not nearly as delectable as the Munn book, but there's a lot of interesting history in it. Yes, the Munn book is only on tiara's, and I think it is mostly royal. It has a great chapter on French royal jewels and Russian jewels. There is a also a very interesting chapter on tiaras and the cosutme ball (like the Devonshire Ball of 1897) and a chapter on the American heiress' of the early 1900's who were groomed to marry into the British aristrocasy (like the Duchess of Marlborough, Conseula Vanderbilt).

If you want pretty pictures, the Munn book is the best. And yes, I find its information reliable. If you want history, either one is great.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for answering my question about the books. Agree with you that Munn's is rather a catalogue, but very interesting as far as I know (don't have it).

If there's one royal from the past century I'd love to meet that's Queen Mary. We's talk and talk about Windsor jewels and then I'd ask her to take on a tour in the BP vaults, full of jewels. :cheeky:

Thank you for the photo of The Queen Mother - it's a very beautiful one. She wore large jewels with total ease, IMO.

And last but not least, here a video of the State Banquet in Oman earlier this week. We get quite some very glittering glimpses of HM's necklace and earrings. The gifts are also beautiful - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jfRK_FVOI

PS: I'm so sorry for your photo archive. Having collected quite a lot of photos through the years I can only imagine how devastated you must've felt. A similar thing happened to me, but lukilly I was able to restore it.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a sample of a picture from the Prince Michael book. This is a close-up of the Danish Order of the Elephant combined with the Order of the Mailed Arm (the latter is no longer used).

orderelephant2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1290988842|2781250 said:
I just got the Prince Michael of Greece book...it is on royal jewels.
If you want pretty pictures, the Munn book is the best. And yes, I find its information reliable. If you want history, either one is great.

Thank you for the comment, MJ. Someday when I visit Londodn maybe I'll buy Munn's book (or ask a friend to buy it for me sooner).
I'm so sorry that won't be able to buy the sapphire tiara, but, hey! - you'll have more opportunities to show people your new truck than your new tiara (which you hardly need as you have 1/2 dozen already);-)

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1290988399|2781242 said:
Thank you for all the pearl photos, Bobby. Quite an enterprise for you; impressive -- you must have gone blind counting & comparing pearls! I'm sorry I didn't catch your comment about the aquamarines -- must have been reading with only one eye.

Alexander, your point is good that there's so much in the RF's collection, it would be very hard to get every single thing right, especially when the fate of some items are unknown, though some writers are more accurate than others. Since much of it is owned by the family, they can't be faulted for not wanting to share all details -- but I'll tell you, if there's a heaven & I get there, I hope it includes a few days in the RF's jewel closets, maybe with Queen Mary along to answer questions (and a mirror so I can play -- though I wouldn't look like the model wearing the Portland pieces. But, then again, if it's heaven, maybe I could look however I want!)

--- Laurie

The pearl photos are delectable and it's great to see the one of the Queen Mum dripping in her finery. And I can certainly see where the confusion over these jewels comes from, given the vastness, quantity and perhaps secrecy of the collection to public view. I do agree with your idea of heaven, Laurie - being set loose in the RF jewel vaults for awhile with a big mirror (but also looking like that sweet model). Then we'll be able to play with the pieces that are only known to the inner royal circle and have been kept very confidential. And hopefully the Portland pieces will be there, too, if the Middleton family decides to buy the tiara and stomacher for Kate and they get included in the RF jewel collection. :naughty:

Patricia

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290989364|2781257 said:
Thank you for answering my question about the books. Agree with you that Munn's is rather a catalogue, but very interesting as far as I know (don't have it).

If there's one royal from the past century I'd love to meet that's Queen Mary. We's talk and talk about Windsor jewels and then I'd ask her to take on a tour in the BP vaults, full of jewels. :cheeky:

Thank you for the photo of The Queen Mother - it's a very beautiful one. She wore large jewels with total ease, IMO.

And last but not least, here a video of the State Banquet in Oman earlier this week. We get quite some very glittering glimpses of HM's necklace and earrings. The gifts are also beautiful - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jfRK_FVOI

PS: I'm so sorry for your photo archive. Having collected quite a lot of photos through the years I can only imagine how devastated you must've felt. A similar thing happened to me, but lukilly I was able to restore it.

Bobby

so we would be two, meeting dear Queen Mary. LOL

thanks for the Oman Ruby link - as I said about onone knows. of course I don't like opals, but what happend of them? Only fact known is Queen Alexandra altered the suite.

partly I could restore some my archives. but the good links (person event jewels worn)-system is lost - and this restoration takes time... bad - but I know that some nice guys got also great archives.....

by the way the Queen Mother wore also such a 3 row when fishing in Scotland, wounderful!!

the Munn bible is absolutely great. also the description of lost item (like Russian tiaras) is freat. and in this book I first saw a picture of Empress Alexandra Feodorovnas Aquamarine demi-parure. I never saw it before. and so it was possible to make it. of course not in real stones. but it looks great!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1290988399|2781242 said:

--- Laurie

Laurie, you're welcome! You shouldn't bother much about not seing my post. Hope to see you in the Buckingham Palace vault with Queen Mary to guide us.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
For me the Portland is too grand for nowadays. when the Middletons will buy one than a smaller one. like the Shand's one (Camilla) which could be worn by a young girl.

such jewels books are sometimes cheaper at amazon or ebay. and easier to get....during my last visit in london. my list of 10 books I want was cut for only two. (I got the other via www) LOL

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1290990025|2781262 said:
Here is a sample of a picture from the Prince Michael book. This is a close-up of the Danish Order of the Elephant combined with the Order of the Mailed Arm (the latter is no longer used).

Thanks for the photo. It's first time I hear about this order "the Mailed Arm". What's it country of origin and when did it stopped being used?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another picture from the Prince Michael of Greece book....nice detail on the Collar of the Order of the Garter.

collargarter2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And the last picture I have time to scan tonight from the Prince Michael book...Queen Elizabeth at her coronation. What I find interesting about this picture is that she's wearing the St. Edward's Crown. Most "official" coronation pictures show her wearing the Imperial State Crown. She only wore the St. Edward's for the ceremony becuase it weighs over 5 pounds. Then she changed into Imperial State Crown because it is lighter. It does look absurdly big on her head (and very awkward) IMO.

coronationstedwards.jpg

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
alexander1917|1290990701|2781279 said:
For me the Portland is too grand for nowadays. when the Middletons will buy one than a smaller one. like the Shand's one (Camilla) which could be worn by a young girl.

such jewels books are sometimes cheaper at amazon or ebay. and easier to get....during my last visit in london. my list of 10 books I want was cut for only two. (I got the other via www) LOL

I agree that the Portland tiara is grand, but I think Kate will mature beautifully into it. I would love to see her wearing it. It's such a magnificent piece and would go so well with the e-ring, but I think you can say that whatever tiara is given to Kate it will complement her ring and whatever jewelry she receives just as nicely.

Patricia

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
MJ, St. Edward's Crown is only used at the actual moment of crowning. Since then the monarchy would normally wear the Imperial State Crown only.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Another book I highly recommend is "World Royal Families" by Edward Riley, Sandra Forty, and Judith Millidge. This is more about the geneology than the jewels, but it has great info. It is also more current (published in 2009) compared to the Prince Michael book (published in 1983). In the Prince Michael book ("Crown Jewels of Europe) it says in the Norway chapter something about "the present, King, Olaf V."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results