shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Day 1 of Queen Elizabeth's state visit to Abu Dhabi. I am hoping there is going to be at least one really good diamond-encrusted, jewel-dripping, beautiful-bling, tantalizing-tiara event out of this state visit. Looks like a two-strand pearl necklace and pearl earrings, but I'm not sure on the brooch...at first glance I thought she swiped part of Queen Margarethe's Golden Poppy thingy!

queene2visitmideast.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! I am thankful we have two royal weddings to look forward to next year! I am also thankful for all my Pricescope friends who, unlike my husband, embrace and understand my love of pretty sparkly things!

turkeycharmpin.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1290701762|2779092 said:
And Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! I am thankful we have two royal weddings to look forward to next year! I am also thankful for all my Pricescope friends who, unlike my husband, embrace and understand my love of pretty sparkly things!

Ditto on both counts, LadyM! And same back to you.

--- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Day 2
no Tiara, but a riviere diamond necklace and her antique girland earrings. the garter and no brooch

107140285.jpg

107140304.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290703480|2779109 said:
Day 2
no Tiara, but a riviere diamond necklace and her antique girland earrings. the garter and no brooch

Very strange dress code, IMO. But the event was in the morning, which would explain the lack of tiara and Prince Philip's morning dress. I'm looking forward to the banquet tomorow in Oman.

In fact The Queen wore a brooch - one of the double diamond bar brooches, but at first it was at the back of her dress. Once HM put the collar of her Abu Dhabi order on, the brooch was removed and pinned in front:http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06F989z07cb3c/610x.jpg

Bobby

610x.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I mean a brooch in front.
we know, that HM usual use one at the back (in a documentary it was Albert Brooch) to secure the Garter ribbon.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1290709361|2779197 said:
alexander1917|1290703480|2779109 said:
Day 2

Very strange dress code, IMO. But the event was in the morning, which would explain the lack of tiara and Prince Philip's morning dress.

Wow, pretty fancy dress attire for HM for a morning event! Hopefully that means the evening state banquet will be super sparkly!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Two questions...

What is the name of the royal order for Abu Dhabi (like Order of the Garter, Order of the Seraphim, Order of St. Olav, etc.)?

Earlier in this thread (I have no idea where...maybe for the Swedish royal wedding) we discussed the protocol for what order to wear when you are visiting another country. Namely that if you've been bestowed an order from the country you are visiting, you wear the order from your host county. If you do not have an order from your host country, then you wear the order from your home country.

So if QUEII has the Order of Abu Dhabi (whatever it is called), why was she still wearing the Order of the Garter? Isn't it a no-no to wear two countries orders at the same time?

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the Garter, because the excchange was during this event... when I see the picture

Shaikh Khalifa confers the Order of Zayed on Queen Elizabeth II in the presence of Shaikh Mohammad and Prince Philip in Abu Dhabi yesterday. Shaikh Khalifa also bestowed the Order of the Federation on Prince Philip and Prince Andrew. The Queen presented Shaikh Khalifa with the Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, GCB. The Queen also honoured Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid and Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed with the Knight Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George, GCMG.

and the link http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/government/khalifa-queen-elizabeth-ii-exchange-orders-1.718759

107141582.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290713820|2779278 said:
I mean a brooch in front.
we know, that HM usual use one at the back (in a documentary it was Albert Brooch) to secure the Garter ribbon.

Well, yes, there wasn't a front brooch initially, but as we can see it was later repinned to the front of the dress.

Here's my poor screen shot of The Queen wearing the Prince Albert brooch at the State Banquet for the President of Ghana in 2007. HM's wearing the same earrings as today in Abu Dhabi.

Photo:

354.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1290716590|2779313 said:
Wow, pretty fancy dress attire for HM for a morning event! Hopefully that means the evening state banquet will be super sparkly!

Actually, I just remembered that almost the same dress code is seen at Prisjesdag in the Netherlands - robe longue and hat, orders and jewels for the ladies and military uniform with orders and decorations or morning dress for the gentlemen - the only difference is that HM didn't wear a hat.
Yet, The Queen, Princesses Maxima, Laurentien and Margaret rarely sparkle as much as dear Elizabeth II.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
yes, this Ghana visit was one of the main topics of this tv-docu. forgotten how it was called.

I think these earrings are a fovorite. HM wore them regulary and very often

When I remember long dress and hats was worn in the UK in the past. for exapmle Princess Marina wedding, or HM's wedding..but in the near past - never seen again such dresscode.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1290717279|2779321 said:
Two questions...

When you have the collar of an order (the highest class possible), then you may wear the sash of another, lesser order. An example is The Duke of Edinburgh at the Opening of Parliament - the collar of the Garter and the sash of the Thistle:
If you're wearing the collar of a foreign order, then it's OK to waer the sash of the highest order of your own country. Queen Elizabeth's appearence today is an exmaple. Another example is King Harald V of Norway at CPss Victoria's wedding - the sash of the St. Olav and the Collar of the Seraphim:

If, for example, if you have the Grand cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE) and the GC of the Dannebrog (Denmark), you are entitled to waer the Danish order is (lets say) Sweden as it's higher. If you go to Britain, however, then you wear the GBE and the star of the Dannebrog.
If you have only one order - the Order of the House of Orange, to name one - then you can wear it at any white-tie event you attend. Example - Ari Behn and Alice Trolle-Wachtmeisterr at the Swedish wedding this summer:

I hope this helps!
Bobby

blaak5.jpeg

100500381.jpg

CrownPrincessWeddingGuests120.jpg

Crown+Princess+Wedding+Guests+1.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290724179|2779374 said:
yes, this Ghana visit was one of the main topics of this tv-docu. forgotten how it was called.

I think these earrings are a fovorite. HM wore them regulary and very often

When I remember long dress and hats was worn in the UK in the past. for exapmle Princess Marina wedding, or HM's wedding..but in the near past - never seen again such dresscode.

OMG! How could I forget about Elizabeth and Philip's wedding when just yesterday I was looking at some photos from the event... Thanks for reminding me.

My screen shot is from Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work, IIRC. You can find the series on YouTube.

ETA - here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmar5S2IxDI&playnext=1&list=PLF33658F102A31D7A&index=14

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I got the DVD..lol..

thanks for the honouring/wearring styles

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290727017|2779386 said:
I got the DVD..lol..

thanks for the honouring/wearring styles

You're welcome, Alexander!
It must be great to have the DVD. I'm a bit jealous now. The series has some very interesting and rare fotage - the Diplomatic Corps reception, the preparation of the State Banquet. We get an interesting glimpse from behind closed doors.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
and sometimes funny... when HM looks down the staircase because the wife of the president could walk well.
it's a very good moment to see how the monarchy works.

by the way amazon and ebay offers this dvd...

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
2nd day
HM wore the empress of Russia Brooch without the pearl pendant.

107146226.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the picture, Alexander. imho, HM is the epitome of what a Queen should be. I like her blue and white dress and hat and white accessories. This color blue wouldn't look good on many women but she manages to be old fashioned and perfectly stylish at the same time.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I think HM is one of the very few women who could wear any colour. is it really old fashioned? I don't think so. it's her style, and a more classical style. I mean, how would it look when a lady of over 80 wears dresses like CP Mary or CP Maxima? Many would say - an old lady shouldn't do that.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
She is always dignified & practical. It must be essential that you wear as comfortable clothing as possible during those long days of meet, greet & tour. Things that won't wrinkle & w/out lots of frou-frou to mess up, & I've read that HM has tiny weights sewn into her hems to keep the wind from blowing her skirts up -- don't know if that's true or not. I notice royal ladies never wear skirts & blouses or suits; keeping everything tucked in all day would be impossible -- and naturally, the one moment your shirt is untucked is when a photog will snap a picture & spread it all over the internet!

The Queen does look good in most colors. I love her in yellow, it's very flattering to her, which is unusual for somebody her age, yellow often makes older complexions look sallow. Her mother just glowed in blues; that was the Queen Mum's best color, imho.

Interesting info on wearing sashes & orders -- thanks!

Frequently when a monarch travels, the host country bestows an order -- are ones from the past, say a couple generations back, ever taken apart & the stones used elsewhere? Or is that a no-no in perpetuity?

-- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the metal beans in the hem are true.

When I remeber right the orders are still property of the giving country.
There was this fact comes to light when after the Russian Revolution the Countess Brasova (wife of GD Michail) would sell the diamond and jewel set stars, orders and so. This comes very soon to an end, when the Countries claim back the orders and awards.

I think this is only the case of selling. remembering f.e. the Golden Fleece which ended up in museum collections. (also frome more generation of recipients.)

the same with the Accademy Awards. they also have to return after the death.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The stars and badges of the British orders should be returned to the The Sovering upon the death the recipient by his nearest male relative. The other insignia is returned to the Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood. The same applies in all monarchies in Europe, as far as I remember. In the Netehrlands now it's available to retain the insignia if you pay for it.

There was a collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece (Spain) that went missing and eventually went to a private collection/museum. I don't remeber the details well.
Simeon II's Golden Fleece is currently in the National History Museum in Sofia. There are several other orders whose recipients are still living. I assume these are on permanent loan to the Museum.
And finally, there is the insignia that has been custome made for a recepient - these (as private property) are retained by the family. Recently Christie's sold a full insignia of the Garter from the collection of the Earl Spence (Diana's brother). In the royal collection (UK) there are several gem set stars, badges, Georges, collars and Garters from previous British monarchs. The Queen's diamond star was a wedding prsent to her father,George VI, and she got it in 1947, shortly before her own wedding.
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...5281&sid=59ee4989-5d95-4f4c-9301-5379de1c816a

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1290729291|2779398 said:
and sometimes funny... when HM looks down the staircase because the wife of the president could walk well.
it's a very good moment to see how the monarchy works.

by the way amazon and ebay offers this dvd...

Yes, a most interesting documentary indeed. I was surprised to see that the tiara didn't moove at all when HM looked doun the stairs. There was a similar one about the Danish monarchy earlier this year. And even though I don't understand Danish, it was also very interesting.

Back on jewels!
Today in Oman Queen Elizabeth II wore a very rarely seen brooch with pink stone (kind of like the Albert):http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/107154980/Getty-Images-Entertainment

107154980.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
this thing with the tiara is really true..LOL..

what a nice hat and colour .....

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
What a pity! The Queen didn't wear a tiara tonight:( Yet she wore the splendid Crown rubies, a ruby/diamond braclelet and what looks like the Irlish blossom brooch:http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08t57Wk1iw5NT/610x.jpg

A missed opportunity IMO. I had hopes to see the Oriental Circlet. I think that this is by far the most low key State Visit by Her Majesty (no tiara event that is).

Bobby

107158869.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, snazzy coat, Bobby. Thanks for the pics. It's pretty.

Do you know anything about the pink diamond brooch QE is wearing in your previous photo? I couldn't dig anything up. Had hopes for one owned by Maria Feodorovna, Alexandra's sister (& Nicholas II's mother) but it's not the same -- no info on what happened to the Czarina's & there are no photos of it, only a drawing. The diamond in it is oval, not round, so that's out. I haven't seen HM's brooch before.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Agree! It's (in my male opinion) a pretty coat and the embroidery makes it somehow special and unique.

Re. the brooch: Firstly, it's not a pink diamond. A pink sapphire or topaz are more likely choices I think. I first saw the brooch earlier this year when The Queen wore it in Balmoral to meet the Governor General of Canada, but it's not a new one, though really rarely seen. So far HM has worn it over darker shades of pink. BTW, Elizabeth II's stone is also oval;-)
The Imperial Russian brooch - do you mean the left one - http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/maria-feodorovna-pink-diamonds.htm? The site sais it's owned by Russia's Diamond Fund. Anyway, it clearly isn't the same as the one HM wore today.

On another engagement:

queenpinkstonebrooch.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results