shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1292104264|2794454 said:
Indeed! Women above a certain age should avoid wearing sleeveless gowns and tops, but I dare say HM The Queen of Sweden is among the exceptions. Look at HM's beautiful silhouette at the return banquet during this year's State Visit to Brazil (and have in mind she's ~67):

My goodness, that seems to be a bit of a stern look on Queen Silvia's face. I wonder what she's saying to the king?

Here's my guess....

"I wanted to wear the amethyst necklace with this dress! Why didn't you get this fringe necklace out of the vault?"

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are two photos of today's Day After gala in the Royal Palace

The Queen:

The Crown Princess's wearing Queen Josefine's pearl and ruby brooch in the hair:

DayAfter2010Queen.jpg

DayAfter2010CPss.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night at the banquet after the Peace Price ceremony, The Royal couple attended the banquet at the Grand Hotel in Oslo. The Queen wore the diamond choker and some new (?) earrings and broches:

Bobby

2010Nobel_QueenSonja.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Queen Sylvia looked so pretty at the Day After gala. Very regal.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
William and Kate's official engagement pictures..

pb-101211-eg-10.photoblog900.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
The second picture

pb-101211-eg-11.photoblog900.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1292083506|2794237 said:
And here is Mabel with her mother-in-law :lol:

Nice bow tie on Mabel. I see she can't seem to get rid of those bows. LMAO!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1292084695|2794243 said:
tourmaline_lover|1292042927|2794023 said:
Fly Girl|1292001108|2793303 said:
2010 Nobel Awards Ceremony just finished. The back of CP Victoria's gorgeous gown.

She looks more radiant than ever. I keep wondering when she'll be "expecting."
Another shot of CP Victoria showing the empire waist of the dress. Could it be covering a bit of tummy? To be fair, one always looks like one could be expecting in this style of dress. Time will tell, for sure.

That's what I thought when I saw that dress!! She is gorgeous, and is such a great dresser. Mabel could learn a lot from Crown Princess Victoria. What a regal and beautiful lady.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
westjenn|1292121044|2794576 said:
William and Kate's official engagement pictures..

Is it just me, or is the ring the star of the photo? It's such an iconic ring. Kate looks beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1292083420|2794235 said:
And here is Princess Mabel at the wedding of the new Duke of Parma. The gray jacket is cut at a weird angle, the sleeves are awkward, doesn't seem to match the pink dress underneath, and she has a tail sticking out the back of her head.

Are those fish scales on her dress too? Has she replaced the bows with fish scales?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1292022624|2793736 said:
Last night The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attended the Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium after a dagerous trip from Clarence House.
Her Royal Highness wore her impressive emerald set (necklace and bracelets).http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/10...680E810F0823D89851825ABB05D1CF6AE527FF47EAF1C
*There's a pair of earrings, but I've only seen Camilla wear them once (the first outing of the set).

Bobby

Is that a new emerald set, or is it part of the royal collection? I love emeralds. Is there a better photo of it? Sorry if this was asked already.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1292103186|2794445 said:
Here are the first photos from The King's dinner at the Royal Palace - http://www.royalcourt.se/kungafamil...8405&folderId=19.40e05eec12926f26304800018508

The Queen is wearing the Nine prong tiara, a riviere, diamond earrings and the Brazilian (?) brooch
The Crown Princess - Queen Victoria's sapphire, pearl and diamond necklace, pearl poire earrings and brooch in the hair
Princess Christina - her pearl and pink stone necklace and earrings and at best her own tiara

Bobby
Bobby, where did you see Princess Christina? So far I couldn't find a picture of her at the 2nd Nobel diner.

It is quite disappointing to see Victoria without tiara once again. She looked very nice with the pearl and ruby brooch in her hair. But for a white tie event a Crown Princess should wear a proper tiara, imo. The sapphire necklace looked wonderful with that dress though.
And once again the Queen with the nine-prongs tiara. I admit that I'm a bit tired of it. It is worn too often.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think the queen looks beautiful and queenly in the nine-prongs tiara. It's such a gorgeous piece itself. If that thing were mine, I'd take it to bed & cuddle up with it, even.

Pics of William & Kate are terrific, thanks for posting. I can't help contrasting how much better prepared Kate appears to be for what she's getting into than Diana did. Partly due to the fact that she's more mature & has been w/Wiliam longer but also perhaps to the RF's having learned from the consequences of the lack of guidance they gave Diana? I'm sure William must feel that very strongly; he no doubt grew up hearing about it. I hope they learned. For her it's a real gift that William won't have to be PoW for years, giving them both time to grow into its demands & to solidify their marriage first.

Yes, the ring kind of is the star of that one photo, but Kate is dressed perfectly to stand out against the background & show off her fab historic jewel.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

LadyM, you're a funny girl! Woot.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1292131053|2794663 said:
prince.of.preslav|1292022624|2793736 said:
Last night The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attended the Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium after a dagerous trip from Clarence House.
Her Royal Highness wore her impressive emerald set (necklace and bracelets).http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/10...680E810F0823D89851825ABB05D1CF6AE527FF47EAF1C
*There's a pair of earrings, but I've only seen Camilla wear them once (the first outing of the set).

Bobby

Is that a new emerald set, or is it part of the royal collection? I love emeralds. Is there a better photo of it? Sorry if this was asked already.

I understand that its new to Camilla, a gift from a Royal family of the Middle East (?Saudi?). I could be wrong, but it may have come from the same giver as the ruby bib necklace and the sapphire set. No idea if they will ever be given to the royal collection or if the Duchess wil pass them down to her daughter/daughters-in-law in the future. Personally I think the emeralds and the rubies are the two pieces worthy of being in the royal collection. I have to say the Emerald necklace reminds me of an emerald necklace that HRH Mary, Princess Royal (daughter of KGV) was given for he wedding. Although, Camila's Emeralds are a nicer colour.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1292158675|2794774 said:

Queen Beatrix looks scared!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The pictures of William and Catherine are absolutely delightful!! That first picture is adorable! And yes, the ring is the star, but I think that is typical. I even remember in my engagement pictures nearly 17 years ago the photographer making sure my ring showed in most of the pictures. And I didn't even have a huge sapphire surrounded by 14 diamonds!

You never saw Charles and Diana, or even Andrew/Sarah or Edward/Sophie in that cute and cuddly of an embrace for their engagement photos. All the other engagement photos were more like the second one.

Case in point...here is one of Charles and Diana's engagement photos. It was meant to be affectionate and informal, but it always looked forced to me. Look at how she's holding her right arm perfectly straight and rigid across his shoulders. She's not leaning her head into Charles like she is purposely trying to keep space between his face and her face. William and Catherine's first picture looks genuine to me.

charlesdianablueshirt.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1292158624|2794773 said:
I think the queen looks beautiful and queenly in the nine-prongs tiara. It's such a gorgeous piece itself. If that thing were mine, I'd take it to bed & cuddle up with it, even.

--- Laurie

Heck, I clean up kid puke and spackle holes in walls with my tiaras. Why not cuddle up with the nine-prong tiara!! ;-)

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1292158675|2794774 said:

Mabel just makes it so bloody easy!!! Tourmaline Lover said Mabel could learn a lot from CP Victoria about dressing. I think Mabel could learn a lot about dressing appropriately from a dead rock and she'd still look better.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1292107077|2794474 said:
Here are two photos of today's Day After gala in the Royal Palace

The Queen:

The Crown Princess's wearing Queen Josefine's pearl and ruby brooch in the hair:

I love how the Swedish princesses and Queen use jewels in their hair, its such a nice in-between and the effect looks stunning.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
I managed to find a picture of Princess Christina with her small pearl tiara at the 2nd Nobel Dinner. It's a pity that the tiara nearly gets lost in her hair.
2010-12-11%20Christina.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Cordata|1292187096|2795034 said:
I managed to find a picture of Princess Christina with her small pearl tiara at the 2nd Nobel Dinner. It's a pity that the tiara nearly gets lost in her hair.
2010-12-11%20Christina.jpg

WoW! Thanks for the photo, Cordata. Sometimes I feel I'm too lazy to search all the photo agencies for a certain photo;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1292177804|2794925 said:
I love how the Swedish princesses and Queen use jewels in their hair, its such a nice in-between and the effect looks stunning.

I also love the way they do that and I think it's nice for a black-tie gala. But if I were the Crown Princess of Sweden and if I had access to as many tiaras as HRH has, I'd definitely have worn one, even if it's the smallest I have.
Somehow I'm reminded of a comment by Edward VII when a certain Duchess appeared without a tiara at a gala in the Palace.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1292160933|2794790 said:
The pictures of William and Catherine are absolutely delightful!! That first picture is adorable! And yes, the ring is the star, but I think that is typical. I even remember in my engagement pictures nearly 17 years ago the photographer making sure my ring showed in most of the pictures. And I didn't even have a huge sapphire surrounded by 14 diamonds!

You never saw Charles and Diana, or even Andrew/Sarah or Edward/Sophie in that cute and cuddly of an embrace for their engagement photos. All the other engagement photos were more like the second one.

Case in point...here is one of Charles and Diana's engagement photos. It was meant to be affectionate and informal, but it always looked forced to me. Look at how she's holding her right arm perfectly straight and rigid across his shoulders. She's not leaning her head into Charles like she is purposely trying to keep space between his face and her face. William and Catherine's first picture looks genuine to me.

All of Charles and Diana's official photographs looked more or less forced and stern. In none of them I can see the softnessI and the affection I see in the photos of Willem-Alexander & Maxima, Frederik & Mary, Joachim & Marie, Victoria and Daniel and now William and Catherine.

And while we're still on the subject of photos, here are two articles with plenty of pics:
the fist one is about The PoW's Christmas cards throughout the last 30 years - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-How-Charless-life-told-Christmas-cards.html

the second is about the latest and previous Windsor engagement portraits - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ate--refreshing-departure-Royal-protocol.html
My fav from past Windsor engagements is the Wessex's, #2 is Elizabeth and Philip's - a bit stern, but OK for 1947.

BTW, I love William and Catherine's photos as much as I love other royal potraits by Mario Testino! They're just great!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1292158883|2794777 said:
I understand that its new to Camilla, a gift from a Royal family of the Middle East (?Saudi?). I could be wrong, but it may have come from the same giver as the ruby bib necklace and the sapphire set. No idea if they will ever be given to the royal collection or if the Duchess wil pass them down to her daughter/daughters-in-law in the future. Personally I think the emeralds and the rubies are the two pieces worthy of being in the royal collection. I have to say the Emerald necklace reminds me of an emerald necklace that HRH Mary, Princess Royal (daughter of KGV) was given for he wedding. Although, Camila's Emeralds are a nicer colour.

Correct - the three suits - emerlads, rubies and sapphires - were presents from the Saudis. From a few articels at the time when HRH wore the ruby breastplate I understood thet they will go to the RC, for the use of future royals.

Neil, which emerald necklace of the late Princess Royal do you have in mind? As far as I know, she had two - one with cabochon emeralds from Queen Mary and anotherone that was created later, but neither of them looks like the one Camilla wears.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bobby,

I was thinking of the cabochons, jut as there are some square-ish emeralds like Camilla's at the front but it really was a loose observation. I think the saudi's set her up with a colour for every occasion really - red, green and blue. I know that the emeralds and sapphires have earrings, but does the ruby bib? I am reminded that the Duchess of Windsor had a bib necklace - I saw it in Prague, simply stunning!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the cabochons are the closer match from the two Harewood necklaces. The other one looks like Queen Ena's emeralds.

The Duchess' ruby earrings - it's hart to tell with 100% certainty, but I think Camilla wore a pair of diamond and synthetic ruby earrings from her own collection with the ruby bibi necklace. That would seem a bit strange, but that's what the photos show...

Off topic - is this Wallis' bib collier that you admired in Prague?

73136123.jpg

Camilla-KeppelsRu.jpg

dd-Cartier17_nec_0500959655.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you can detach the fringe-like pieces from the DoC's ruby bib & wear the top part alone as a necklace. It would be a very nice one. The Saudis are great friends for British royal ladies to have.

OK, Bobby, I'll bite -- what did the King say to the lady sans tiara?

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today is the 104th anniversary of the birth of HRH Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark, later HRH The Duchess of Kent, as well as my own 19th birthday!
Wishing you all a great week and I hope we'll continue duscussing royal jewels in the years to come! My special wish is to admire two glittering weddings, filled with loads of love next year - one in London and another in Monaco.

Best wishes,
Bobby

MarinaKent_bow.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1292200760|2795202 said:
I wonder if you can detach the fringe-like pieces from the DoC's ruby bib & wear the top part alone as a necklace. It would be a very nice one. The Saudis are great friends for British royal ladies to have.

And it would be even nicer if the fringe can be worn as a stomacher :cheeky: b But I doubt that any any of our hopes are close to reality...

OK, Bobby, I'll bite -- what did the King say to the lady sans tiara?

--- Laurie

The King was kinda furious - he told the lady that The Princess of Wales (it was before 1901 I believe) has made the effort to put her tiara on, while the lady hasn't. I think the lady in question left the party and the reason why she wasn't wearing a tiara was that the bank where it was kept had closed before she could get there.
I'm sure Alexander has more details, including the name of the lady.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results