clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
dianab said:
Hi,

This is my first message in forum.

I have some QUESTIONS:

Does anyone know which jewelry that was purchased this earrings?
Does anyone know if this earrings were a gift from Charles or someone else?
PS. I think so beautiful this earrings!!!! :love:

Welcome to Pricescope, dianab! And thank you for the wonderfull photos of Princesses Diana and Grace, most of which were new to me.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
Dianab, great shots of Princess Grace!

Bobby- what tiara is Princess Grace wearing in the picture with the enormous peach hoopskirt dress? I don't recognize it it all!

I know nothing about the tiara and necklace Princess Grace wore at this fancy dress party. Given that she's worn it only once (at lest I suppose so) it may be a fake jewel, a borrowed one or at best a family heirloom laying in the vaults for decades... I can only speculate.

Here's another photo of Grace:

Grace010.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Bobby, thanks for finding that info on QE's brooch! I'll try to dig up photos also of her wearing it. It's such a pretty piece -- I like the colors & the design that allows light through the stones.

Oh sigh, agree with all of you about Camilla's wearing the QM's jewels; I don't think she'd be best pleased at that. I tell myself that it's her privilege to wear them but can't help feeling grumpy about it. If she looked better in them it might be easier to be reconciled.

Dianab, great pics of Princess Grace! Do you know anything about the beautiful diamond necklace she's wearing with the pink dress (holding a dog) and in the early photo with knockout drop cluster earrings? Wow, is all I can say!

--- Laurie

You're welcome, Laurie. I was curious myself if HM has worn the brooch and I solved a mystery for me.

Re Grace's necklace - a while ago I posted this photo of the late Princess of Monaco wering this diamond choker and earrings. Maybe you've missed it. No info, though. Here's it again:

kelly10101.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly said:
Here is something I found

I think De Grisogono have some nice jewels but this isn't one of them. Having in mind that Princess Margaret described Elizabeth Taylor's Krupp diamond as vulgar, I wonder what she'd have said about this one - almost 10 times heavier. Are there any photos of the ring worn?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:

QueenShelly said:
The Queen Mum would never allowed Charles to marry Camilla.

Yes, The Queen Mum & Prince Philip were against the marriage back in the 1970s (each for his resons). But what were Diana's pros? The answer is sismple - her virginity and a father Earl. Also a grandmother close to the RF (QEQM especially) may have helped a little.
And since The Queen Mother's been dead for 8 years now (3 at th time of the wedding), she doesn't have the word about the wedding and if Milla should or should not wear the jewels. And would you like to see The Princess of Wales (the second lady in the country) with only a very small amount of jewels (one tiara, one necklace and 2 pairs of earrings)? I would not.
And what I find most surprising is that no one thinks of these two people's feelings! After more than 30 years of waiting, 4 children and 2 divorces they united their love in a marriage!

Sorry, I really didn't want to react to this post but all the Diana-Camilla-QEQM-jewels discussions make me crazy sometimes.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You make a good point, Bobby. Time goes on. People live their lives. That is why I said I try to reconcile myself to seeing Camilla wear the QM's jewels: she has a perfect right to do so. For me the problem stems from the duplicity from the very beginning and the fact that Diana did the jewels such justice. She looked beautiful in them. Camilla does not. However, their lives are not my business & we have only media-based impressions of the personalities involved. Enough.

Speaking of beautiful women wearing smashing jewelry, here is Princess Caroline with the tiara given to her grandmother, Charlotte, by her grandfather Count Pierre de Polignac, in 1920. Made by Cartier. She also wears her grandmother's fringe tiara as a necklace.

Thank you for the photo of Grace with earrings & choker -- that's the one I meant. Will see if I can find anything on that gorgeous necklace.

--- Laurie

CarolineCharlotteTiara.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Well everyone has there thoughts on the matter of Diana and Milla.

I was raised with certain morals and like they say there was 3 in the marriage. I could not live that way. Everyone is different.

I like the necklace that Princess Grace is wearing. She is a very dignified and sophisicated she wears them well.
Can anyone tell me which piece of jewerly the Queen has is her favorite and the most expensive???????? :praise:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A good photo of the tiara Caroline inherited from her grandmother -- when seen in closeup, it's not as similar to the British bow-knot one as it looks in the pictures on Caroline's head.

--- Laurie

24y4av7.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QueenShelly said:

I was raised with certain morals and like they say there was 3 in the marriage. I could not live that way. Everyone is different.

I like the necklace that Princess Grace is wearing. She is a very dignified and sophisicated she wears them well.
Can anyone tell me which piece of jewerly the Queen has is her favorite and the most expensive???????? :praise:

which she wore often is the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara", because it's very light.

the expensivst are "Granny'S Chips" the Cullinan IV (upper, 63.60 carats) and Cullinan III
(lower, 94.40 carats), set in a pendant brooch. they are property of the Sovereign. (the others in the Regalia are ownd by the State)

542610192itfvfdfsci2.jpg

cullinanIII_667and_IV.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the information it is very intresting.

The weight on a person head to wear the items. I wonder what weighs the most

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly said:

QueenShelly, I pretend to have moral too and in a post long ago I said that I can not forget Charles and Camilla's relationship when both were still maried. That's something I don't accept and tolerate. Still I think that Camilla isn't liked mostly because of the said relationshp and not because she can't wear jewels the way Princess Diana and Queen Elizabeth did. Everyone is different in this regard.

PS: Don't get this and the previous posts as a form of negativism towards you. It's just a reply to everyone who can't get used to Charles's second wife, her legal position and the way she wears the jewels The Queen has lent her.

Bobby

Some photos to show you that Cams isn't afraid to wear big jewels:

CamCharlesREX68x774.jpg

73136123.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly said:

As Alexander already said, The Girls of Great Britan and Ireland tiara is HM's favourite jewels (maybe only after her engagement ring) and the most expensive is the brooch with the Cullinan III & IV brooch.

For heaviest jewel I don't know, but maybe Queen Alexandra's diamond kokoshnik or the Rundell tiara (if it still exisits).

Fere's ab it of info if you're not famailiar with their story -
The GGB&I tiara -http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...bs=GIFTROYAL&object=200192&row=8&detail=about
The brooch - http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...och&x=0&y=0&object=100005&row=11&detail=about

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Bobby, what can you tell us about that three strand diamond necklace that Princess Grace seemed to wear frequently? It shows up in quite a few of the picture on the previous page.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak said:
A good photo of the tiara Caroline inherited from her grandmother -- when seen in closeup, it's not as similar to the British bow-knot one as it looks in the pictures on Caroline's head.

--- Laurie

This is my personal vote for the tiara Charlene should wear for the wedding.

The fringe (Caroline is wearing it as a necklace in the picture a couple posts up) would be my second choice.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
Bobby, what can you tell us about that three strand diamond necklace that Princess Grace seemed to wear frequently? It shows up in quite a few of the picture on the previous page.

Well, I'm afraid this time I can't tell anything, other than (as you say) that it was a favourite of Princess Grace. But I have this photo of the necklace taken two years ago:

80591472.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Well, I'm afraid this time I can't tell anything, other than (as you say) that it was a favourite of Princess Grace. But I have this photo of the necklace taken two years ago:

So is the necklace still in the family or was it sold at auction? Maybe Charlene could wear this necklace at the wedding too!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
So is the necklace still in the family or was it sold at auction? Maybe Charlene could wear this necklace at the wedding too!

The necklace was part of an exibition called Diamond Divas in the Antwerp Diamond Museum, Antwerp, Belgium two years ago. The exhibition was of jewels worn by royals and celebreties, so I'd assume it's still in the Grimaldi familly.
If not at the wedding, Charlene can wear it at the pre-wedding gala ;-)

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

This is my personal vote for the tiara Charlene should wear for the wedding.

The fringe (Caroline is wearing it as a necklace in the picture a couple posts up) would be my second choice.

Agree, Lady Maria, the Cartier tiara would look super on Charlene. She might be able to carry off the fringe one too but seems to me fringe tiaras are hard to wear becomingly. A few royals manage -- Queen Mary wore them well -- but they sort of tend to overwhelm the wearer if not positioned "just so" & hairdo makes a big difference too. Hope that wedding happens before long -- in addition to jewels I want to see what dresses Charlene wears, she has a great sense of style.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JF, I agree with you that fringe tiaras (and tiaras in general) need the right hair do in order not to look good on one's head. I think that shall Charlene wear a tiara at her wedding, she'll opt for an updo. And you can never go wrong with an updo and fringe tiara - a classical combination. But in the same tinme I agree with you that the more delicate Cartier pearl tiara would look great with the veil. Yet, we should not hope for more as there might be no tiaras at the wedding at all.

BTW, The Prince has said in an interview that we'll have to wait untill next summer for the wedding.

Elizabeth II wearing a fringe without much success - http://madhattery.royalroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/2009-1126-britain-elizabeth3.jpg
Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein looking great with a fringe - http://madhattery.royalroundup.com/...ding-2010-0619-liechtenstein-sophie-belga.jpg

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I think HM coiffeur and this tiara didn't match, when comparing with HM in 1947 and QEtQM

51426331.jpg

2Wedding1947AP_468x664.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
QueenShelly said:

I'd say at least a front runner is the St. Edward's crown, the official coronation crown. It weights close to 5 pounds!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

prince.of.preslav said:
QueenShelly said:
The Queen Mum would never allowed Charles to marry Camilla.

Yes, The Queen Mum & Prince Philip were against the marriage back in the 1970s (each for his resons). But what were Diana's pros? The answer is sismple - her virginity and a father Earl. Also a grandmother close to the RF (QEQM especially) may have helped a little.
And since The Queen Mother's been dead for 8 years now (3 at th time of the wedding), she doesn't have the word about the wedding and if Milla should or should not wear the jewels. And would you like to see The Princess of Wales (the second lady in the country) with only a very small amount of jewels (one tiara, one necklace and 2 pairs of earrings)? I would not.
And what I find most surprising is that no one thinks of these two people's feelings! After more than 30 years of waiting, 4 children and 2 divorces they united their love in a marriage!

Sorry, I really didn't want to react to this post but all the Diana-Camilla-QEQM-jewels discussions make me crazy sometimes.

Bobby

But they didn't wait. They carried on an affair all throughout Charles' marriage to Diana. The only person whose feelings they ever thought about were their own.

I'm sorry but I can't be a fan of Camilla's or Charles', no way, no how, not ever.

And I know a lot of people, at least my age, feel the same way.

It's really something that Charles had that big fairy tale wedding watched all around the world and then divorced Diana, divorced her, and took away her "royal" status (never mind she was descended from royals), thus humiliating her and denigrating her.

And I care even less for the woman herself. We make all sorts of comments about who looks "regal" and who looks good in jewels, and lately clothes, on this forum. Well, Camilla looks like she's wearing someone else's jewels, like she's playing dress up, and it would help if she would wipe the social climbing grin off her face. That would help, at least a little.

Danny

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Danny, your point sounds more convincing than mine and I generally agree with what you say. But I just said why I accept her, not why I like her (I'm not even sure if I do).

and took away her "royal" status (never mind she was descended from royals)
You're forgetting that both Diana and Camilla are royal descendants through illegimate children of a King. And he did not hummiliate her! This is the law for divorced wives of British princes and Sarah, Duchess of York was the first one to loose her HRH after her divorce. Camilla's 'style' during her first marriage was Mrs. Andrew Parker Bowles, just like Diana's was HRH Princess Charles Philip Artur George, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, etc. British royals are not the Iranian royal, where the second ex-wife of the Shah was know as HIH Princess Soraya of Iran after the divorce.

and it would help if she would wipe the social climbing grin off her face
You want royals that are not smiling? OMG, what's royalty today if not smiling and waving... And I'm sure that Princess Marie of Denmark has a bigger social-climbing-grin on her face (and attitude in general) that Camilla. Yet no comments about that.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Camilla's smile in the photo of her in a blue dress wearing the QM's honeycomb tiara looks more self-conscious than social-climbing to me. Don't know when that was taken but it looks like she is unused to the spotlight & ill at ease -- she carries her clutch purse like a gift box. But she simply does not look great in luscious jewelry, well put that it seems she's wearing someone else's pieces. Exactly. I'm sorry, but it jolts me every time I see her with the QM's jewels on, my automatic reaction, "her, of all people." Having gone through all she did with Wallis & the DoW, rightly or not blaming them for her husband's ultimate death, I doubt the QM would be happy about it either.

Alexander, the photo of the Queen in her wedding dress with the fringe tiara is great (wasn't she darling when young?) -- and I agree with you that that tiara looked much better on her there. I kind of think, to my eye, with today's fashions & hairdos, that fringe tiaras are more attractive worn farther back on the head & maybe not angled too straight-up.

Good point that Charlene may not even wear a tiara. She knows what's right for her, style-wise, & I'm sure will be ravishing, whatever she decides. Next summer, huh? Darn!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Good point that Charlene may not even wear a tiara. She knows what's right for her, style-wise, & I'm sure will be ravishing, whatever she decides. Next summer, huh? Darn!

--- Laurie

The thought crossed my mind, but I was scared to bring it up...don't want to jinx anything. Grace did set a precedent...she did not wear a tiara at her wedding. But man, I will be sooooooo bummed if Charlene doesn't wear a tiara! :(

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I'm sorry if I was overly harsh in expressing my feelings. I want to say for the record as a reply to you only that 1. Diana did not want the divorce and 2. Diana did not her "HRH" status to be taken away from her. Of course, I know that divorced royal women commonly use the style X, title of place. I also know that the sovereign is the font of all honors. I know all that. Still, my feelings remain.

I'd like to make a humble suggestion to you as the bright shining star of this forum that you are, and that is to say that the more we stay on the thread topic, jewels, the less we each, and all, have to concentrate on royal personalities and personalty conflicts. I know that there are other forums where the topic is royals, and, obviously, I think some of this has a place in this forum, but royal jewels can be admired in such a way as to avoid these controversies, which none of us is ever going to resolve.

All my best,

Danny

dianab

Rough_Rock
Danny, I agree with every word you wrote!!!

Diana is MOTHER of FUTURE KING OF ENGLAND, so I think she should have been allowed keep title until the mother of King Abdullah of Jordan - husband of Rania - is a HHR, and late King Hussein divorced mother of Abdullah when he was a little boy.

I remember was VERY commented in time of divorce THE MOTHER OF FUTURE KING OF ENGLAND NOT BE A HHR

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results