prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re:

tourmaline_lover said:
Date: 7/1/2010 12:28:19 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 6/30/2010 8:51:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Does anyone have a good photo of the earrings that Crown Princess Victoria was wearing to her pre-wedding concert? They looked lush!

As close as possible. On RJWMB it was cmomented that these jewels date back to 1770 and haven''t been seen since a long time and that they''ve left the main line of the family long ago. Also on that board they said that perhaps The King has bought them back and that they were his wedding present to Victoria.
Thank you Bobby!!
Those earrings are gorgeous, and look as elegant and beautiful as they probably did back in the 18th century. That just goes to show you that great design is timeless. 

Actually the earrings didn't start as such. But you're right that they look quite nice as earrings today. Originally, however, they were something else. A photo and the story of the original jewels can be found in Point de Vue. I myself don't have the mag and have not seen the photo or read the article. I should've been more precise before, sorry.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore a PoW feather brooch with emerlad drop and QEQM's three row pearls during a garden party in fonour of the 150th anniversary of the Cadet Forces:

102658330.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Thanks for the photo, Alexander! It was very nice to see HM with a simple riviere and favourite brooch of her mother, Queen Elizabeth. But I must say that this isn't Queen Victoria's Collet necklace, the one worn with the Lahore diamond pendant. The necklace may have been QV's at a time. I don't know it's origins, but definitely it isn't the same as the one HM wore at the 1953 coronation. And actually Queen Victoria's collet necklace isn't worn without the pendant or the earrings often.
Also why do you call the earrings King George VI Modern cut earrings when they were a wedding gift from both The King & The Queen? Furthermore, as part of QEQM's inheritance from Mrs Ronald Greville, they are mostly known as the Greville (chandelier) earrings .

A photo without watermark:

Of course they came from the King AND Queen Elizabeth (the earings from Mrs. Greville - the real known "greville earrings" are worn most by the late Queen Mother. a large marquise cut, a brilliant and a triangle when I remeber right) mostley HM wore them with the Festoon necklace. I just checked the wedding present booklet.

I thinks it is the collet necklace from QV because in an other picture (and the tv scene during the speech) you see the litle hook were the diamond drop is normally.
maybe she did it in avoid a new dispute about the stone itself. only my opinion. HM wore also another such necklace (mayby Estonia or so) but it was much longer.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
The late Queen Mother, bad that HM never wore Queen Alexandra's pearls

169kepe1.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just sayin' how cute was the late Queen Mother? Even with all the bling, she still looks like it'd be fun to share some cookies and milk with her.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the earrings that QEQM wore were also from Mrs. Greville. That's why I wrote the Greville (chandelier) earrings. The earrings that the late Queen Elizabeth wore quite often can be reffered as the Greville diamond drop earrings or The Queen Mother's diamond drop earrings. Actually, they don't have a marquiz cut drop and a brilliant cut middle diamond. The drop is a large oval, allmost pear shaped diamond and the middle stone is a baguette/emerald cut diamond.
The necklace - look at the photo of Victoria's necklace and compare the size of the diamonds from last night's dinner. Definately the stones in QV's collier are larger and it's a bit shorter. Also don't forget that such necklaces were (often) worn with a pendant in the past (mostly a pearl or adiamond), so it's not strange that the collet had a small hook to atach a penfant. We shal also not forget that The Queen inherited quite a few diamond rivieres from Queen Mary in 1953. As you may know, Queen Mary wore a total of 7 rivieres at the Coronation of her son and Queen Elizabeth wore three at the Coronation of her daughter.

A photo of GD Maria Teresa's impressive diamond collets and you see the small hooks on the collets:

diamondcolletslux.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:

I guess you mean that The Queen has not worn Queen Alexandra's pears so far. As you know Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (aka Elizabeth II) is very much alive ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
I'm just sayin' how cute was the late Queen Mother? Even with all the bling, she still looks like it'd be fun to share some cookies and milk with her.

LOL! Missydebby, am I right to assume that you're American? With queen Elizabeth one could have tea with biscuits and/or cucumber sandwich.

I funny thing is that the American born Duchess of Windsor, sister-on-law to QEQM. called her Cookie and Mrs Temple, reffering to the fact that she was a solid woman. So no cookies with her Late Majesty, please!

3647627915_463fdb9da8.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Holland, for winning the match vs Uruguay!

WA_M_CapeTown_semif_2010.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
alexander1917 said:

I guess you mean that The Queen has not worn Queen Alexandra's pears so far. As you know Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (aka Elizabeth II) is very much alive ;-)

Bobby

I had should wrote.
The late Queen Mother (for the picture). and as I'm not a native speaker, yes "so far" would be fine.

Nooo, please not again this silly Cookie -story

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Today HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore a PoW feather brooch with emerlad drop and QEQM's three row pearls during a garden party in fonour of the 150th anniversary of the Cadet Forces:

WHAT is on her head????

Lori

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I just had to share the weird dreams I had last night.

The first one was that I was visiting Sweden and was touring Drottingholm Palace when I saw Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel coming back from their honeymoon. They slipped into an elevator, she was wearing a shiny red top with a strand of pearls. I told them Congratulations on the wedding in Swedish (in your dreams, you can speak any language!).

The second dream was that Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Merrit were visiting my hometown in Michigan, and for some reason my mother was asked to cook dinner for them at her house. She only knew that someone important was comign fro dinner, but she didn't know exactly who it was. I was home too, and when I saw them I knew exactly who they were and introduced them to my mother. She was aghast when I told her who it was. Mette-Merrit was wearing a purple dress with a two-row pearl necklace in my dream.

Moral to the dreams: when you love royal jewels, you even dream about them and their owners.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Spain! Now we're looking forward the the final match at Mondial 2010 - Holland vs Spain!

WC_2010_sf_Sp_Ger_QSofia.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria said:
I just had to share the weird dreams I had last night.

The first one was that I was visiting Sweden and was touring Drottingholm Palace when I saw Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel coming back from their honeymoon. They slipped into an elevator, she was wearing a shiny red top with a strand of pearls. I told them Congratulations on the wedding in Swedish (in your dreams, you can speak any language!).

The second dream was that Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Merrit were visiting my hometown in Michigan, and for some reason my mother was asked to cook dinner for them at her house. She only knew that someone important was comign fro dinner, but she didn't know exactly who it was. I was home too, and when I saw them I knew exactly who they were and introduced them to my mother. She was aghast when I told her who it was. Mette-Merrit was wearing a purple dress with a two-row pearl necklace in my dream.

Moral to the dreams: when you love royal jewels, you even dream about them and their owners.

Oh, I thought you dream meant you liked pearls. LOL! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
loriken214 said:
prince.of.preslav said:

WHAT is on her head????

Lori

She looks like a walking sattelite dish. :errrr:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:

LOL! That's right. I bet Lady Maria enjoys pearls as most women. But I also think that's how mast people imagine (Crown) Princesses - with nice dresses and pearls.
Even if it's not the reason why, it was very nice to read your dream, MJ. I've also had dreams with royals and jewels a few times.

Bobby

TS08052002.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
loriken214 said:
prince.of.preslav said:

WHAT is on her head????

Lori

She looks like a walking sattelite dish. :errrr:

Indeed! I think this hat is a bit too much even for Camilla. Certanly not the best millinery creation in her wordrobe. This hat actually reminds me of a featherless off-white sister of The Duchess' hat for her first Trooping the Colour:

cpbgoldribbonbowwithdrops-broochg.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Someone should give Camilla a hat lesson. They get weirder -- sometimes I think she has a UFO on her head.

But I do like QE's Canadian dress & how interesting that she can change the motifs on it -- thank you for the information.

Has anyone ever seen a photo of the Queen wearing this brooch? Given to her by her father in 1945. I would love to have it myself, if she doesn't use it!

--- Laurie

QE1945.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav said:
tourmaline_lover said:

LOL! That's right. I bet Lady Maria enjoys pearls as most women. But I also think that's how mast people imagine (Crown) Princesses - with nice dresses and pearls.
Even if it's not the reason why, it was very nice to read your dream, MJ. I've also had dreams with royals and jewels a few times.

Bobby

Bobby, please don't tell me you dream about Camilla!! That's all for now!! LOL!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
tourmaline_lover said:

Bobby

Yes, I do like my pearls! Prince Consort does too...I have a matching set of Mikimoto pearls...necklace, bracelet, earrings.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I stumbled across a couple o pictures of Diana that I hadn't seen before.

This first one, according to the caption that went with the picture, is with a headband that has some of the Saudi Arabia sapphires in it. I thought the only time she wore a headband like this was with emeralds.

dianasapphires.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The second picture I came across shows Diana in an official portrait with the Spencer tiara and her hair up. The caption said it was the only portrait without a "hair fringe" in front.

Now I thought there was one year where she wore her hair up with the Spencer tiara for an opening of Parliament, but I guess those pictures wouldn't really count as a portrait.

I think she looks pretty cross in this portrait. I almost didn't recognize her!

dianaportraits.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I've never seen Diana with her hair back like that, it's such a different look for her.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Bobby, please don't tell me you dream about Camilla!! That's all for now!! LOL!

No, Camilla has never been part of my dreams! :D One of the drems I remeber indeed featured some Windsors, but not The DoC. Another one was at the time of the Swedish wedding (and it was glittering!).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
I stumbled across a couple o pictures of Diana that I hadn't seen before.

This first one, according to the caption that went with the picture, is with a headband that has some of the Saudi Arabia sapphires in it. I thought the only time she wore a headband like this was with emeralds.

Hmmm! I'm not so sure there are any of the Saudi Arabian sapphires in this choker. The earrings are indeed part of the set, though this is not thieir original form. Maybe the Prince of Wales was generous to his wife?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A wanted to past a photo of Diana wearing this headband as necklace, but forgot. Princess Diana is also wearing the original earrings from the set here:

52117598.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's a photo of Princess Diana wearing a sapphire and diamond choker that had one of the SA wedding present sapphires - that from the ring. She is also wearing the earrings she made from the watch:

0000307799-001.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The second picture I came across shows Diana in an official portrait with the Spencer tiara and her hair up. The caption said it was the only portrait without a "hair fringe" in front.

MJ, this is the only photo I've seen of Diana with her hair pulled back (like CP Victoria on her wedding day). The Princess of Wales usually wore a tiara with a puffy hairstyle (like Camilla and Queen Sonja par example) and then you could see a fringe of hair in front. I agree that it's strange to see Diana with such hairstyle.
Here's a photo from the OoP in 1984 - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/79730284/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library
And a photo of her hair upswept, but with the fringe in front - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/79732668

Bobby

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
MJ, for the record, I've also had dreams with royalty in them...one particular dream I recall CP Mary asking me to babysit her children. Odd, but a pleasant dream :sun:

Also, Bobby, the picture that you posted of Diana with her hair with a "pouf/fringe," she's wearing the Saudi Arabia sapphire parure that she received as a wedding gift. Perhaps those are the sapphires we were discussing earlier? I'm not sure of the provenance of the sapphire bandeau/choker.

While we're on the topic of Diana's hair, I remembered that I'd seen a photo of Diana with her hair slicked back, and found two more. Enjoy!

73399342.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Formal photo shoot, I would assume. I believe this is a photo by Mario Testino.

fasl17_diana0707.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results