carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 5:54:29 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Elena Vladimirovna was engaged to Prince Max of Baden, later titular Grand Duke of Baden, but he canceled the engagement. Then after two years of considering the proposal of Prince Nicholas her mother finaly agreed Elena to marry a poor prince with no chances for inferitng the throne. That might be a reason for the look on her face. Another reason might be that she wanted to look serious. At photographs I usually try to look serious too and sometimes the result is a rather sad or even angry look on my face. This may be the case with Grand Duchess Elena.

Here is the entire photo of the Imperial Jewels. Now you can see The Nuptial & Small Diamond Crowns. L-R tiaras: Diamond Fringe, an unidentified one, The Nuptial, the Diamond and Turquoise tiara (part of parure) and Empress Alexandra''s Diamond and Sapphire tiara (part of a wedding gift parure from AIII and MF). The necklace that the GDss wore on their wedding days is also pictured.

This honestly just makes me swoon. The Russian royal jewels are my favorite, next to the British collection. Actually, I believe the tiara to the right of the fringe is the famous sapphire tiara; the size is correct. Keep in mind that this is definitely not all that''s pictured...Empress Alexandra received hundreds more jewels yearly for birthdays, name days, anniversary presents, etc.

Alexandra Feodorovna was very fond of pastel-colored stones...pearls were her favorite (her engagement ring from Nicholas II was a pink pearl), aquamarines were a very close second. I''m tempted to say that the last tiara on the right was aquamarines, not sapphires, but I could very well be wrong. I''m absolutely stumped as to what tiara the 6th from the right is--I don''t recall ever seeing it. Can anyone else identify it?

The pearl and diamond tiara (3rd from left) was a particular favorite of Alexandra Feodorovna''s, as well as the diamond tiara (5th from left). It''s such a crying shame that most of these jewels have been broken down and sold over the years.
36.gif

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Just a few more lovely things to look at. Here''s Empress Marie Feodorovna, early in her marriage, wearing fantastic jewels. I want to say the asymmetrical pearl necklace she''s wearing is one of the huge ones in the middle of Bobby''s enormous picture, but I''m not sure. Either way, it amply conveys her beauty
1.gif

2983380439_7419b66483.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another alternate picture of the nuptial tiara. Incredible, isn''t it?

nuptial.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pearl tiara of Alexandra Feodorovna''s.

2335015054_522273117c.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Here are, respectively, the sapphire tiara (you were right, Bobby), the turquoise tiara, and the nuptial tiara.

russia61.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
I can''t say for sure if it actually belonged to the Romanovs, but here''s a tiara designed and created by Carl Fabergé.

fabergelaurel.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:17:15 AM
Author: shadowed_rain
Here''s another alternate picture of the nuptial tiara. Incredible, isn''t it?
I still say this is my most favorite.....WOW!!!
30.gif

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:20:47 AM
I can't say for sure if it actually belonged to the Romanovs, but here's a tiara designed and created by Carl Fabergé.

This tiara is in possession of the Duke of Westminster since 1906. The present Duke's daughter Tamara wore it on her wedding in 2004:

12so5.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Empress Alexandra's aquamarine and diamond tiara. The tiara is part of a parurewith maching necklace and earrings. Here there are some photos of the aquas and information about other jewels of Alix's collection.

lastscanaquamarinetiara.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:15:25 AM
Just a few more lovely things to look at. Here''s Empress Marie Feodorovna, early in her marriage, wearing fantastic jewels. I want to say the asymmetrical pearl necklace she''s wearing is one of the huge ones in the middle of Bobby''s enormous picture, but I''m not sure. Either way, it amply conveys her beauty
1.gif

Very much like the Berleburg Fringe Tiara that''s made in russian style.
Below; HRH Benedikte of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Denmark wearing the Berleburg Fringe tiara.

2913360560094389678zaqffd_ph.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a closer picture of the younger princess and fer jewels. I wonder if the Berleburg fringe tiara can be converted into a necklace?

tiara-deenseprbenedicte.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Just a few more lovely things to look at. Here's Empress Marie Feodorovna, early in her marriage, wearing fantastic jewels. I want to say the asymmetrical pearl necklace she's wearing is one of the huge ones in the middle of Bobby's enormous picture, but I'm not sure. Either way, it amply conveys her beauty
1.gif

This splendid necklace is indeed pictured, but it's not in the middle. Look at this picture and you'll see it below the forth tiara, that has a similar design, and the big pearl and diamond brooch inside the necklace.
You, shadowed_rain, posted a picture of the tiara and called it "a pearl tiara of Alexandra Feodorovna's", but I've seen a picture of MF wearing it. The fact that there is a tiara and a necklace that were worn by the same person makes me think that these jewels form a parure - a pearl and diamond parure of Maria Feodorovna.

Copy of untitled1.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In his/her first post on this page shadowed_rain mentioned that the 5th tiara is "the famous sapphire tiara". Here is a picture of this gorgeous Romanov jewel:

sapphire_diadem_russia.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a colour photo of Lori''s favourite tiara. Here the briolet diamonds are clearly visible:

tiaraaitortj11.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 8:39:12 AM

1.gif

This splendid necklace is indeed pictured, but it''s not in the middle. Look at this picture and you''ll see it below the forth tiara, that has a similar design, and the big pearl and diamond brooch inside the necklace.

You, shadowed_rain, posted a picture of the tiara and called it ''a pearl tiara of Alexandra Feodorovna''s'', but I''ve seen a picture of MF wearing it. The fact that there is a tiara and a necklace that were worn by the same person makes me think that these jewels form a parure - a pearl and diamond parure of Maria Feodorovna.

Right you are, there it is. And it''s entirely possible that it was part of a parure--pearls were one of Marie Feodorovna''s favorites as well. Most of the royal jewels were made for previous empresses, but it''s probable that one was created for Marie Feodorovna. Can you imagine the asymmetrical necklace paired with the tiara? Phew. Talk about a statement piece
22.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today I visited Christie's site and browsed the items from the 1999 Important Antique Jewellery sell. There I found some jewels from Mary, Princess Royal & Countess of Harewood's collection that were sold by her descendants (the 7th Earl?). Among the four jewels that I found there were two brooches with conch pearl previoously part of Queen Mary's collection.

Here is one of the brooches - a diamond and conch/white/gray/golden pearl brooch with floral design:

d1603284x.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Sorry but I delited the photo of the other brooch and can not restore it.
On this photo of Queen Mary she can be seen with the two brooches - one is pinned on her hat and the other on her neck:

Queen20Mary205.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This cabochon emerald and diamond necklace was also oe of the sold items from Princess Mary''s collection:

1603283x.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is Princess Mary wearing the honeysuckle tiara and the long diamond necklace that was a wedding gift from the City of London:

Mary_wedding Present.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And just to fill in the page - Princess Mary, Princess Royal & Countess of Harewood''s diamond fringe tiara (a gift from Queen Mary I think):

PcssMarysfringetiara.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
I knew that if I asked everyone would pull through!!! Excellent pictures. I have always been amazed at theRoyal Jewelry of Russian Royalty. They are al yummy!!!
emsmileo.gif

Keep them coming!!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 9:11:07 AM
Here is a colour photo of Lori''s favourite tiara. Here the briolet diamonds are clearly visible:
How AWESOME is this tiara???? THANK YOU BOBBY!!!!
36.gif

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like my dressing table each morning with all it''s jewels.

file0021fv4.GIF

I wish!!
3.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 12:30:36 PM
Author: estelaris
I knew that if I asked everyone would pull through!!! Excellent pictures. I have always been amazed at theRoyal Jewelry of Russian Royalty. They are al yummy!!!
emsmileo.gif

Keep them coming!!

Yes ther are yummy! The Romanovs were extra rich (Nikolai II was the richest men in the world) and thus they could aford the best stones, pearls, etc. Their jewellery collection was the grandest of all and it's hard to enumerate them all, but I hope you are satisfied with these examples.

I think I must thank you for your demand on Romanov jewels. For me it was a good experience searching for some of the pieces and the history behind them. I'm also glad that I found the enormous photo taken by the Soviet Government. I hope shadoued_rain has had some nice time posting his/her picturess too.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A while age we were discusing the coloured stones in Queen Elizabeth II's collection. I'm glad to add this turquoise and diamond demi parure - a gift from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Unfortunately I've only seen them twice on HM's neck. This is a picture from the last night of QEII's visit:

qe3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 7:37:21 PM

Date: 9/4/2009 12:30:36 PM
Author: estelaris
emsmileo.gif

Keep them coming!!

Yes ther are yummy! The Romanovs were extra rich (Nikolai II was the richest men in the world) and thus they could aford the best stones, pearls, etc. Their jewellery collection was the grandest of all and it''s hard to enumerate them all, but I hope you are satisfied with these examples.

I think I must thank you for your demand on Romanov jewels. For me it was a good experience searching for some of the pieces and the history behind them. I''m also glad that I found the enormous photo taken by the Soviet Government. I hope shadoued_rain has had some nice time posting his/her picturess too.

Bobby
It''s very sad about their demise though. I heard the princesses sewed many of the royal jewels in their corsets as a hiding place when they were in exile. Not sure how true that is.

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Yes Bobby, I did enjoy it
2.gif
Thanks for posting yours, too!

And it''s very true that the Tsarina and grand duchesses sewed jewelry into their corsets. They hoped to escape and needed money, and their jewelry collection was the most transportable form of wealth. They sewed rows and rows of jewels into their corsets, which acted as a protective shield against bullets and the bayonets. Their buttons were also covered with fabric and sewn on. Unfortunately, this "shield" awarded them more violent/painful deaths, as they had to be bayoneted and shot at close range. Tragedy.

~Rachel

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 11:53:36 AM
Yes Bobby, I did enjoy it
2.gif
Thanks for posting yours, too!

And it''s very true that the Tsarina and grand duchesses sewed jewelry into their corsets. They hoped to escape and needed money, and their jewelry collection was the most transportable form of wealth. They sewed rows and rows of jewels into their corsets, which acted as a protective shield against bullets and the bayonets. Their buttons were also covered with fabric and sewn on. Unfortunately, this ''shield'' awarded them more violent/painful deaths, as they had to be bayoneted and shot at close range. Tragedy.

~Rachel

Åxactly. I saw that in a documentary about the last days of the Imperal family. As far as I know the most valuable item that The Tsarina brought with her was a brooch with a 100 ct diamond. The price of that brooch nowadays is more than the price of all the Faberge eggs. After the family was murdered the sewn jewels were stolen by their murderers.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 6:56:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That looks like my dressing table each morning with all it''s jewels.

file0021fv4.GIF

I wish!!
3.gif
LOL TL!!!!
35.gif

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results