clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 12:11:59 PM
Author: Josefine
victoria at the polar prize award

Thank you, Josefine!
Would you be so kind to post the picture of HM The Queen of Sweden and her pearls?
I hope you''ll be kind enough to tell me/us if the jewels from the Spring-auktion 2009 W.A Bolin discusion on RJWMB belonged to a nobel or a royal familly or if these jewels were created by Bolin, the jeweler of the Russian tzars?

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 3:34:42 PM
Author: estelaris
Oh wow!!!!
3.gif

i know that the Romanovs had an incredible collection of jewels. If any one can post that would be lovely!!!!

I have some pictures of their jewels, mosty tiaras, but almost no information obout them. As you know the Romanov''s jewels were confiscated by the bolsheviks. Of course many jewels "escaped" Russia and were sold in order to raise money, so that the (former) royals could lead a proper life.

I''m not sure about this picture, but it may be a groop shot taken after the fall of the Empire. The first tiara (pearls and diampnds) is still in the City Museum in Moscow, the second was posted earlier, ¹ 5 is an all diamond tiara, 6 is with diamonds and sapphires, 7 is a laurel leaf or Ears of Wheat tiara with yelow diamonds. You can also see the Imperial and the Small Imperial Crowns, as well as the orb and the Scepter withe the Orloff diamond. On the first row there is also a large diamond breast ornament.

79724600qrjqzuph3uh.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is the first tiara from the group picture.
I know almost no Russian, but it''s close to the Bulgarian. Here is what I undersood from the the Museum''s website - the tiara is created in 1841 by Nikolai I for his Empress, Alexandra Feodorovna. This tiara has 25 large pearls and is in the traditional Russian kokoshnik style. This tiara is called The Russian beauty.

This is the site with the information (in Russian) and pic there you can see other jewels with royal provenance - Link

P.S. - If anyone else knows russian and what I unedstood and wrote here isn''t correct, please fell free to correct me.

korona.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is the sapphire and diamond tiara. I''ve heard a rumours that the stones were emeralds and that it was worn together with an emerald and diamond devant-de-corsage, that was dismantled by the Bolsheviks.

82455831ffmdfqph4le.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is a 1907 portrait of Empress Alexandra weraing the jewel. As you can see the stones are shown as dark blue - sapphires.

Empress_Alexandra_Fyodorovna_1907..JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is the breast ornament that I mentioned earlier:

76999671nyzhvnphg.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This tiara has been worn by all the Grand Duchesses on their wedding days(includinfg the foreign princesses that married into the family). The central stone is a large pink diamond (13 ct I think). Maybe someone else has more information about the piece.

76999775meyfg8fg.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Cherry earrings also used at Romanov weddings. The earrings were recently discused on RJWMB, but I''m not sure if the discussion is still available. I hope posters like Josefine can help with some information about these heavy and impresive jewels.

cherryearrings2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna at her wedding to Prince Niklai of Greece. The Grand Duchess was the mother of Princess Mariana, Duchess of Kent. Elena wore the Nuptial tiara and crown!, the diamond breast ornament, the cherry earrings and a necklace with large diamonds, part of the Fund's collection, I think.

As far as I know that's how all the brides looked on their weddings:

helen_wedding.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Empress Maria Fyodorovna wearing the kokoshnik tiara, that was the inspiration for Queen Alexandra's 25th wedding present. HIM also wears the necklace used for the wedings. The other picture that I have of her wearing it is at her son's coronation in 1896. Her daughter-in-law Alexandra never wore the necklace.

maria_jewels.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Empress Alexandra with one of her tiaras and many preal rows. Don''t you think there''s a big resemblance between Alix and her grandmother Victoria?

item.1350EmpAleix.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is the last picture - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna wearing pearl jewellery including the famous tiara, that now is in possession of Elizabeth II:

Mariemecklenburg1854.jpg

russian1

Rough_Rock
Hello All - what a great site and especially this forum. Thought it would be nice to contribute too for all of those who love Royal Jewels. The picture posted earlier by prince.of.preslav is indeed a photo taken by the Bolsheviks after the down fall of the Czar. The purpose was two fold - 1. to catalog what they had come across and 2. to prepare for sale these jewels as the Bolsheviks were so desparate for cash. While many were sold off thank God the Coronation regalia was saved from the block. As was pointed out earlier you can clearly see the Imperial Crown of Russia made for Catherine the Great as well as the Imperial Orb also made for her. The crown contains 4936 diamonds and a 398.72 carat Red Spinel just below the cross. Under the crown you can see the imperial badge called the Star of the Order of Saint Andrew which is covered totally in diamonds - there is also the Diamond Chain of the Order of Saint Andrew totally in diamonds sort of circleing around the Imperial crown. There is also I believe to the right of the Ears of Wheat tiara the famous Romanov stick pin - center blue diamond surrounded by white diamonds. It is believed that the center stone is actually a piece of the now famous Hope Diamond. I will try tomorrow to start posting the pics I have of the Russian Crown jewels.
26.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 6:34:14 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
This tiara has been worn by all the Grand Duchesses on their wedding days(includinfg the foreign princesses that married into the family). The central stone is a large pink diamond (13 ct I think). Maybe someone else has more information about the piece.
This has to be my most favorite tiara!!!!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:51:36 PM
Author: russian1
Hello All - what a great site and especially this forum. Thought it would be nice to contribute too for all of those who love Royal Jewels. The picture posted earlier by prince.of.preslav is indeed a photo taken by the Bolsheviks after the down fall of the Czar. The purpose was two fold - 1. to catalog what they had come across and 2. to prepare for sale these jewels as the Bolsheviks were so desparate for cash. While many were sold off thank God the Coronation regalia was saved from the block. As was pointed out earlier you can clearly see the Imperial Crown of Russia made for Catherine the Great as well as the Imperial Orb also made for her. The crown contains 4936 diamonds and a 398.72 carat Red Spinel just below the cross. Under the crown you can see the imperial badge called the Star of the Order of Saint Andrew which is covered totally in diamonds - there is also the Diamond Chain of the Order of Saint Andrew totally in diamonds sort of circleing around the Imperial crown. There is also I believe to the right of the Ears of Wheat tiara the famous Romanov stick pin - center blue diamond surrounded by white diamonds. It is believed that the center stone is actually a piece of the now famous Hope Diamond. I will try tomorrow to start posting the pics I have of the Russian Crown jewels.
26.gif
Welcome to PS Russian1!
35.gif

I look forward to learning about the Russian Crown jewels!!!
36.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 6:46:05 PM
The all diamond Romanov Nuptial crown:
What a beauty!!!! Thank you, Bobby, for posting these amazing photos....such history!!!!
36.gif

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:51:36 PM
Author: russian1
26.gif

Welcome to Pricescope, russian1!
I hope you'll have a great time here.

I'm looking forward to see your pictures.

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2009 6:55:47 PM
Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna at her wedding to Prince Niklai of Greece. The Grand Duchess was the mother of Princess Mariana, Duchess of Kent. Elena wore the Nuptial tiara and crown!, the diamond breast ornament, the cherry earrings and a necklace with large diamonds, part of the Fund''s collection, I think.

As far as I know that''s how all the brides looked on their weddings:
She looks so happy - NOT!!

That pink diamond on the crown above is unbelievable!!
30.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Elena Vladimirovna was engaged to Prince Max of Baden, later titular Grand Duke of Baden, but he canceled the engagement. Then after two years of considering the proposal of Prince Nicholas her mother finaly agreed Elena to marry a poor prince with no chances for inferitng the throne. That might be a reason for the look on her face. Another reason might be that she wanted to look serious. At photographs I usually try to look serious too and sometimes the result is a rather sad or even angry look on my face. This may be the case with Grand Duchess Elena.

Here is the entire photo of the Imperial Jewels. Now you can see The Nuptial & Small Diamond Crowns. L-R tiaras: Diamond Fringe, an unidentified one, The Nuptial, the Diamond and Turquoise tiara (part of parure) and Empress Alexandra's Diamond and Sapphire tiara (part of a wedding gift parure from AIII and MF). The necklace that the GDss wore on their wedding days is also pictured.

file0021fv4.GIF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I think this is the Diamond Chain of the Order of Saint Andrew that is also in the group photo. Of course in real life it's much, much bigger:

collieringorewap110yq3.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The diamond diamond star of the order with the motto "Çà âåðó è âåðíîñòü" (For Faith and Loyalty):

toiel17951800ingorewap78xo3.jpg.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Russian Fild tiara of Maria Feodorovna, wife of Paul I. The original was sold in 1929 by the Soviet Government.
Here is a Link to a grat site, where you can find a copy of the tiara that is now part of the Diamond Fund.
Note that the original central stone was a large white sapphire, not a yellow diamond.

Tsarina20Maria20Feodorovna27s20Tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Empress Alexandra wearing a tiara made for Elizabeth Alexeievna (nee Louise of Baden). This all diamond tiara is ¹5 in the group shot:

Alexandra_Fjodorowna.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 9:50:59 AM
Hi!

I really like the Baden Fringe tiara and I think it suits The Crown Princess really well. When I first understood about the upcoming wedding I thought it''d be nice to see this tiara on Victoria''s head (like Elizabeth II in 1947). Later I learnet that the Cameo tiara is kind of wedding tiara for the Bernadottes. I hope we''ll see it again as a necklace in the near future.

I have a question - On the GREMB this picture was posted in a discussion about a state visit from Holland to Sweden. What necklace is the Queen wearing? May this be the large amethyst necklace, that now is a tiara?

Thanks,

Bobby
It just got to be the amnethyst necklace that the wonderful Queen Louise (nee Mountbatten) is wearing! I can''t think of anything else!
Thank you for that wonderful picture!

robinj

Shiny_Rock
After seeing all the tsarist russian jewellery, nothing else measures up! At least not in grandeur.
6.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results