carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Bobby!

First,

I'll post the addresses I found relating to your question. I'm still working out the definitions, frankly.

Crown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(headgear)

Circlet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circlet

Tiara:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiara

Diadem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadem_(personal_wear)

Second,

There are pearls on this crown that are thought to have belonged to Elizabeth I, just as you say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSyLLWZ5jp8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theroyalforums.com%2Fforums%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D841267%26postcount%3D48&feature=player_embedded

(you've posted this before, I think)

I don't have any specific information about these pearls, but if I find any, I will post it right away.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In reply to MY first question - When I thought a little I remembered of a panting of Cornelia Africana where she wears some kind of headgear, similar to the traditional Russian kokoshnik. After a breaf research of tiaras used in more rescent times, the first pantings of Queens and Princesses wearing one were from around 1730s and IMHO they look like hair pins and turban ornaments/aigrette.

And now 2nd question - Thanks, Danny for the links. I''ve read the articles before, but unfortunately no years and mentioned. You are right that I posed it the video. I''ve forgenten it, so thanks for refreshing my memory:)

Bogdan

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, that''s an interesting observation.

For my own understanding, I''ve narrowed the definition of tiara down to this:

"In modern times, however, a tiara is generally a semi-circular band, often metal, and decorated with jewels, which is worn as a form of adornment. It is worn by women around their head or on the forehead as a circlet on very formal or high social occasions."

The next thing I have to do is figure out a working definition of "circlet."
3.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Danny!

I think the best explanation for what a circlet means is "A circlet is a crown with neither arches nor a cap (internal covering)." I also think that the man on your avatar wears a circlet.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is something new, that I think hasn''t been discussed yet. This is a favourite picture of a favourite royal - Queen Mary of Romania. She was a very wise, inteligent and interesting woman, that incorporated the genes of two great monarchs - Mary was the granddaughter of Victoria of the UK (via the Duke of SCG and Edinburgh) and Alexandar II of Russia (via his only daughter GDs Maria Alexandrovna). The first time I heard about HM was when me and my parents visited her residence in Balchik (now tne botanical garden). I don''t have much memories, because I was 5 or 6 year old, but I remember her marble throne and how GREAT I felt when I sat on it. I hope I''ll visit the Palace agin soon and in some way I''ll be able to pay my tribute to one of the most beloved European consorts.

Now the photo - You can see Mary wearing a beatiful pearl & dianond tiara, once in possesion of Carol I''s consort Elisabeth of Wied; HM also wears a long single pearl strand and a pearl-diamond brooch. The most spectacular and unique piece here is her devant de corsage. I doubt I''ve ever seen such jewel - a diamond and gem set cross, suspended grom a brooch with large oblong stone (a sapphire IMO) with diamond frame.
Does anybody know what happend with the devant de corsage? Is it still in a vault or the stones were reset/sold? Eveen if you don''t know, it would be nice to see your opinions and comments.

Bobby

Marie128.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 6:11:19 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Hi, Danny!

I think the best explanation for what a circlet means is ''A circlet is a crown with neither arches nor a cap (internal covering).'' I also think that the man on your avatar wears a circlet.

Hi, Bobby!

Thanks!

Please look at this sentence, from Wikipedia for me. This is why I am confused. It says,

"In modern times, however, a tiara is generally a semi-circular band, often metal, and decorated with jewels, which is worn as a form of adornment. It is worn by women around their head or on the forehead as a circlet on very formal or high social occasions."

33.gif

So my question is: can a tiara be a circular band? It usually is "a semi-circular band" but it can be a circular band (or a circlet). Is this correct?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 6:59:13 PM
Here is something new, that I think hasn''t been discussed yet. This is a favourite picture of a favourite royal - Queen Mary of Romania. She was a very wise, inteligent and interesting woman, that incorporated the genes of two great monarchs - Mary was the granddaughter of Victoria of the UK (via the Duke of SCG and Edinburgh) and Alexandar II of Russia (via his only daughter GDs Maria Alexandrovna). The first time I heard about HM was when me and my parents visited her residence in Balchik (now tne botanical garden). I don''t have much memories, because I was 5 or 6 year old, but I remember her marble throne and how GREAT I felt when I sat on it. I hope I''ll visit the Palace agin soon and in some way I''ll be able to pay my tribute to one of the most beloved European consorts.

That must be a great memory!

Now the photo - You can see Mary wearing a beatiful pearl & dianond tiara, once in possesion of Carol I''s consort Elisabeth of Wied; HM also wears a long single pearl strand and a pearl-diamond brooch. The most spectacular and unique piece here is her devant de corsage. I doubt I''ve ever seen such jewel - a diamond and gem set cross, suspended grom a brooch with large oblong stone (a sapphire IMO) with diamond frame.

Does anybody know what happend with the devant de corsage? Is it still in a vault or the stones were reset/sold? Eveen if you don''t know, it would be nice to see your opinions and comments.

I don''t know anything about it but it''s an extraordinary picture of it!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 12:22:51 AM
Author: Imdanny
Date: 6/7/2009 6:11:19 PM

Hi, Danny!

I think the best explanation for what a circlet means is 'A circlet is a crown with neither arches nor a cap (internal covering).' I also think that the man on your avatar wears a circlet.

Hi, Bobby!

Thanks!

Please look at this sentence, from Wikipedia for me. This is why I am confused. It says,

'In modern times, however, a tiara is generally a semi-circular band, often metal, and decorated with jewels, which is worn as a form of adornment. It is worn by women around their head or on the forehead as a circlet on very formal or high social occasions.'

33.gif

So my question is: can a tiara be a circular band? It usually is 'a semi-circular band' but it can be a circular band (or a circlet). Is this correct?

Hi, Danny!
Hi,everyone!

Here is my explanation in pictures:
First is the Delhi Durbar diadem - This is the tiara in the British collection that's most sismilar to a circlet (or even a crown), because it is a full circle.

Insight_nov05_mailbox_tiara_large.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A favourite picture of young Queen Elizabeth with the Fringe tiara, that was a wedding gift from Queen Mary. The picture shows the tiara''s side, and it''s clear that it''s a 3/4 of a full circle.

e448.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And one with the Papyrus Tara worn around the forehead. I think that way of wearing tiaras was popilar in the 1920s - 1930s, and/or the Art Deco period. I think that when the photo was taken QEQM was still Duchess of York.

cookie_order.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is what Queen Silvia of Sweeden wore in Netherlands this year. This is a part from a much larger picture, where the two Queens kiss each other. I can''t remember the name of the tiara, but the caption is great.

jhfgkn.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Now a circlet - Queen Mary wearing her regal circlet that is actually the base of her crown. You can also see QV''s stomacher(at least the central part of it) and the Chips.

queenmaryinkinggeorgediadem.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And finally a "bird side view" of QV's Regal circlet:
Not being from an Enlish speaking country I'm often confused with the exact meaning of some words and centances, but IMO that's what the Wiki author meant with his words. I also hope my posts helped you.
Bobby

rcirc701.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 7:50:00 AM
Now a circlet - Queen Mary wearing her regal circlet that is actually the base of her crown. You can also see QV''s stomacher(at least the central part of it) and the Chips.
What an AWESOME photo of Queen Mary! Wonder what all of that bling weighs????
23.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 6:59:13 PM

Bobby
Such a beautiful woman....thank you for sharing her with us!
36.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 11:27:48 AM
Author: loriken214

Date: 6/8/2009 7:50:00 AM
What an AWESOME photo of Queen Mary! Wonder what all of that bling weighs????
23.gif

Lori
ETA: I don''t mean carat weight....I mean weight in measurement....how heavy was all of that to lug around?

Didn''t Diana say certain tiaras gave her a headache?

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 11:31:32 AM
Author: loriken214

ETA: I don''t mean carat weight....I mean weight in measurement....how heavy was all of that to lug around?

Didn''t Diana say certain tiaras gave her a headache?

Lori

You''re right, Lori! The Princess of Wales complained that the Lover''s Knot tiara gave her headache, that''s why she wore the much lighter Spencer tiara. There is a pic of Diana where she fixes her tiara. It''s a nice one, but I can''t find it. May be so has it and would be kind enough to post it.
Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bobby! Yes, that helped! Can you please tell me more about this piece: "Delhi Durbar diadem"? Does it have other pieces that go with it? Who did it belong to first? Why was it created (for a race?). You''ve mentioned it before so I''m hoping it''s OK to ask you.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Danny!

The term Delhi Durbar means "Court of Delhi", and is an event that commemorates the coronation of the King/Queen of GB. There were three Delhi Durbars - in 1877, 1903, 1911. Only George V and Queen Mary attended their Durbar ceremony. There is a set of jewels presented to Queen Mary for the occasion. This set or parure includes: The diadem, a necklace with diamonds and large emeraldsand a large hexagonal curved emerald set in diamonds. Thse jewels were presented by Maharanee of Patiala on behalf of the Ladies of India. Her Majesty also had two emerald and diamond brooches, a set of earrings, a choker(remodeled in 1920 and later worn by Diana) and a bracelet that incorporated some of the Cambridge emeralds. The rather large didem was originaly set with Coullian V a 18,8 ct heart shaped diamond, and some pear shaped Cambridge emeralds topped it, they were later removed and set in other jewels. The diadem was given to the then Queen Elizabeth and she wore it during GV and hers visit to India, I think. In rescent times HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall has worn it. The necklace, 2 of the brooches, the earrings and the bracelet were worn by QEII in her earlier years as Queen. I think it was last year when QEII wore the large emarld pinned on her shaulder witha matching green outfit.
Here you can find more information and detailed pictures of some of the mentioned pieces.

I think this picture is from the Durbar with the original setting ot all the jewels:

marydurbartiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This picture shows the Fift Coullian as centerpiece of the diadem and the choker in its currant form.
BTW the pendands, hanging from the necklace(a Cambridge emerald and Coullian VII-8.8ct), can be removed.

HU061519.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A leter photograph, that shows the necklace without the pendants and the Vladimir Tiara in its emerald versino. IMO some of the stones, that are now drops of the tiara, are the ones that topped the DD Diadem almost 100 years ago.

queenssplitMOS1901_468x338.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't find a picture of QEQM wearing the tiara, so next in time is this photo Queen Elizabeth II and Nelson Mandela, most probably taken in BP. I chose this one among several others, because it shows more of the jewels from the beatiful parure.

queen.and.nelsonmandela.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And currently the last wearer of the diadem - The Duchess of Cornwall. The queen loaned it to her new daughter-in-law in 2005 for the Norwegian state visit in London.

DoCDD.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a group photograph ot the parure with only the grand tiara missing. Here is what GettyImages says about the caption: "LONDON - JULY 25: Queen Elizabeth II''s dresses are reflected in a glass case displaying The Vladimir Tiara and The Delhi Durbar necklace at Buckingham Palace on July 25, 2006 in London. Celebrating the Queen''s 80th birthday, the largest ever exhibition of 80 gowns and jewellery from the 1940''s to the present day, worn by her majesty on private and official engagements, will go on show to the public in the State Rooms during the summer opening of the palace."
I must add that the huge emerald brooch was worn as center of the Fringe tiara for a visit to the opera.

71513192.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Probably that's the picture of the diadem's original owner, Queen Mary, that shows all the pieces from the parure* in their original form.

* I don't think the word parure is the most proper, due to the fact that it consists of several pieces that were Fat Mary's property and were later given/inherited to/from QM, and others that were presented by the Ladies of India. All these were later worn together, and that's why it's frequantly called The Delhi Durbar(sometimes Emerld) parure.

While seaching for pics of the jewels I also found one of QM where the Cullian VII pendant is repleced by CIII - the pear shaped chip. Unfortunately it(the photo) is of poor quality, so I most probably won't post it.

QM_DD&CE.GIF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is an interesting one: the grand diadem set with the Chips, instead of the emeralds and Cullian V. At first that made me confused which is the orinaginal versin - the one with the emerald spikes, or this one??? After I thought a little, now I'm sure the emralds are the originals, mostly because of the other emerald pieces from the gift.

QMv209-11.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And the last pic I found in my files - the hexagonal emerald with the fringe tiara:

QMv203-11.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was sure I have a clearer and bigger version of the above photograph. After a breaf rasearch I found it:
The Art Deco bar brooch is now owned and worb by the Gloucesters.

122813337679611411.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
From all that posts and photos, I hope you remember that I said the large brooch has been worn by QEII, and here is the proof:
From the file''s name I asume that this was taken in early/late 2007 state visit of Abdulah of Saudi Arabia.

QEII-20071101-StateVisitAbdullahofS.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is the last one I''ve found. I think it was taken in the 1970s, probably in an African or Asian country? Anyone knows?

56799936.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results