shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, lovely indeed. Thank you so much.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Ursula''s site claims that some of the smaller Cullian diamonds are set in a long chain worn by Queen Mary. The present Queen, Elizabeth II, refuses to wear it, complaining that "it gets in the soup".
My Question is: Has anyone seen that diamond chain?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 5:40:09 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Ursula''s site claims that some of the smaller Cullian diamonds are set in a long chain worn by Queen Mary. The present Queen, Elizabeth II, refuses to wear it, complaining that ''it gets in the soup''.

My Question is: Has anyone seen that diamond chain?

While looking at some pics in the internet I found this picture of Queen Mary. HM wears an unidentified diamond choker and a long chain. Do you think that the chain is the one with the Coullians? What about the choker? Any info who owns it? Is it still "alive"?

queenMary_unknown.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is another official photograph of Queen Mary. IMHO these jewels look great with both Queens. I wish Elizabth II wore some of her grandmother''s diamod necklaces more often, or at least loaned them to her daughters-in-law.

78949981.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bobby, I don't know anything about the necklaces to which you refer...but I love the way they look in the photos you posted. Thank you for doing that (posting the photos)! What struck me immediately is that both are really collar-type necklaces that would feel snug around the neck. Perhaps the present queen does not like the feeling of such a tight necklace. (I am speculating without an iota of evidence simply because the style struck me so strongly.)

Like you, I admire the look very much and had I access to them, I assure that I would wear them!

Again, I thank you for bringing them to our notice. They are lovely indeed! :)

AGBF
34.gif

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting these pictures of Queen Mary, Prince, I''ve never seen them before. And AGBF, the style that Queen Mary is wearing was started by her mother-in-law, Queen Alexandra. Alexandra had a childhood scar on her neck that she was very self-conscious of, and she started wearing rows of chokers and rivières to cover it. Interestingly, it became a fashion sensation and a style very, very typical of the late Victorian/Edwardian period. Here''s a picture of Alexandra while she was still Princess of Wales.

alex21.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another of Alexandra with one of her "dog-collar" styles, as they were called (and copied!).

143011.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Aaaaaaand one more example of the dog-collar style that carried through into the next generation--Queen Alexandra''s daughter, Queen Maud of Norway, took after her mother. She was also a trend-setter in Norway, and much of her style was influenced by her mother.

qmaud.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Danny and Shadowed rain, for your replies and the information about Queen Alexandra. I didn''t know aout the childhood scar on her neck, I thought that chokers and dogcollars were worn because of the fashion at that time.

I don''t know if you''re aware of one of the latest "royal family reunion" - the wedding at Coburg. For those of you who are not, here''s a short description: The Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Hubertus) and Miss Kelly Rondestvedt were married on the 23 May in Coburg at the Pfarrkirche (Parish church) St Moritz. Among the 400+ guests that attended the wedding were: TM The King & Queen of Sweden, TM The King & The Queen of Bulgaria (titular), Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria, the Hereditary Prince and Princess of Wrede, Prince Manuel of Bavaria, the Duke of Bavaria, Prince and Princess Konstantin of Bulgaria, the Prince and Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe, Prince and Princess Leopold of Bavaria, Duchess Tatiana of Oldenburg, Prince Georg-Friedrich of Prussia, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, the Prince and Princess of Leiningen, Prince and Princess Karl-Emich of Leiningen, Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor.
After the wedding ceremony TH The Hereditary Prince and Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha got into a carriage for a ride through the streets of Coburg to Schloss Ehrenburg. Later reception was held at Schloss Callenberg.
I was surprised that Princess Kelly didn''t wear a tiara, but insted she wore another heirloom - the necklace that Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany gave to his bride Princess Helene of Waldeck-Pyrmont in 1882.

PPE09052318.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo of Princess Helen, Duchess of Albany from her wedding with the necklace.

Duchess of Albany.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, thanks. I liked seeing the same necklace in the two pictures from different eras. Would you please explain what "titular" means in this context? Thanks in advance.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/26/2009 12:00:30 AM
Author: Imdanny

Bobby, thanks. I liked seeing the same necklace in the two pictures from different eras. Would you please explain what 'titular' means in this context? Thanks in advance.

I'm not Bobby, but I suspect he means that the royal family is not actually in power. When a royal family is forced out of the country or is no longer accorded legal power, royalists still keep track of them, even if they are geographically displaced. After World War II, Bulgaria became a Communist State. In the 1990's it became a parliamentary democracy, but the monarchy was never legally restored. I will await Bobby's answer and see if he confirms that what I said is what he meant :).

AGBF
34.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 12:23:44 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
5/26/2009 12:00:30 AM

Bobby, thanks. I liked seeing the same necklace in the two pictures from different eras. Would you please explain what ''titular'' means in this context? Thanks in advance.

I''m not Bobby, but I suspect he means that the royal family is not actually in power. When a royal family is forced out of the country or is no longer accorded legal power, royalists still keep track of them, even if they are geographically displaced. After World War II, Bulgaria became a Communist State. In the 1990''s it became a parliamentary democracy, but the monarchy was never legally restored. I will await Bobby''s answer and see if he confirms that what I said is what he meant :).

AGBF

34.gif

Good morning, everyone!

Thanks for explaining the meaning of titular. I don''t think I''m able to explain it so clearly. Although I''m 17 and I acknowledge the new government, I support them mostly, because they are a nice family & ARE part (at least their ancestors) of the Bulgarian history. BTW what I like about royal families in general is that they are a united & in most cases a good looking family that is always together at majour occasions, and they seem to support themselves. And least but not last they have gorgeus jewels, that we all enjoy looking at, exploring, etc.

P.S.: SDL, Looking forward to hearing what you understood about your husband''s friend family
2.gif

Bobby

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
That''s fascinating, SanDiegoLady! I am, personally, rather jealous...let us know how that dinner goes and what you might find out
9.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a closeup of Queen Silvia and her jewels - a diamond bar brooch, a twisted multi strand pearl necklace and mauby new aquamarine and diamond studs. HM also wore a two raw pearl bracelet and a bangle(diamond perhaps).

I realized that the Duchess of Albany her snake bracelet. More info can be found here.

ppe09052321.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 6:50:32 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Here is another official photograph of Queen Mary. IMHO these jewels look great with both Queens. I wish Elizabth II wore some of her grandmother''s diamod necklaces more often, or at least loaned them to her daughters-in-law.
WOW...GOT ROCKS????
23.gif

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of Empress Michiko of Japan with some nice jewels: a honeysuckle all diamond tiara, my favourite type of necklace - a riviera with a diamond pendat and a pair of diamond earrings. The picture was taken during the imperial couple's state visit to Sweden in 2007. I have to say that the Japanese royals are not my favourite and I don't know much about them and their jewels, but that tiara is definitely an impressive and favourite piece.

Now here is my question - Why is the Honeysuckle pattern/design so popular? There are at least three other tiaras (two in the British collection and the other in the Danish) I now that have the same motive. What does the Honeysuckle stand for?

07052361.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bobby,

Could it be that it's a nature motif and it doesn't stand for anything in particular? I don't know.

In the US we use the word "titular" as a stand in for "real." Eg. "So and so is the titular head of the whatever it's called political party." It does not imply that the person has an office when used this way, only that the person is the "real" head of that party. It can be used this way even when there is an office holder who might be said to be the head of the same party. I haven't heard it used to describe royals which is why I asked about it, but I'll take your word that it's used this way. Maybe there would be a titular head of the Romanov family, or the Hapsburg family. It's going to take me a while to get used to using it in this way but I will.

Thanks for the picture!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just adore all the old pictures of royalty decked out in their tiars, chokers and jewels. There''s just a different quality about those pictures.

This is the first I''ve seen the Japanese royal family wearing any diamonds. They just seem so low key with jewellery most of the time.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/27/2009 7:11:04 PM

In the US we use the word 'titular' as a stand in for 'real.' Eg. 'So and so is the titular head of the whatever it's called political party.' It does not imply that the person has an office when used this way, only that the person is the 'real' head of that party.

I hope that we can have a good natured discussion about words, Danny, because they are my true love. I truly prize language above diamonds and gold and enjoy discussions about grammar and syntax more than discussions about jewelry!

It is my belief that the word, "titular" means "in title". (I have not looked this up.) If someone is the "titular" head of The Riverside Quilters League, then she is the nominal head of that group. She is the head according to title. She holds the title. She is the one who is called, "President of The Riverside Quilters League". Whether she is the real head of The Riverside Quilters league is another question altogether. Because in English being called, "the titular head" carries with it the implication that one is only the titular head of something and not someone who holds real power. In English the use of the word "titular" usually implies that the person holds an office in name (or title) only.

Bobby used the word titular in this description: "TM The King & The Queen of Bulgaria (titular)". That makes sense to me, because their majesties the King and Queen of Bulgaria are King and Queen of Bulgaria in name only. They do not actually rule Bulgaria nor are they formally or legally recognized by Bulgaria in any way.

AGBF
34.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Deb, thanks for the help with the definition!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:41:43 PM

Date:

In the US we use the word ''titular'' as a stand in for ''real.'' Eg. ''So and so is the titular head of the whatever it''s called political party.'' It does not imply that the person has an office when used this way, only that the person is the ''real'' head of that party.

I hope that we can have a good natured discussion about words, Danny, because they are my true love. I truly prize language above diamonds and gold and enjoy discussions about grammar and syntax more than discussions about jewelry!

It is my belief that the word, ''titular'' means ''in title''. (I have not looked this up.) If someone is the ''titular'' head of The Riverside Quilters League, then she is the nominal head of that group. She is the head according to title. She holds the title. She is the one who is called, ''President of The Riverside Quilters League''. Whether she is the real head of The Riverside Quilters league is another question altogether. Because in English being called, ''the titular head'' carries with it the implication that one is only the titular head of something and not someone who holds real power. In English the use of the word ''titular'' usually implies that the person holds an office in name (or title) only.

Bobby used the word titular in this description: ''TM The King & The Queen of Bulgaria (titular)''. That makes sense to me, because their majesties the King and Queen of Bulgaria are King and Queen of Bulgaria in name only. They do not actually rule Bulgaria nor are they formally or legally recognized by Bulgaria in any way.

AGBF
34.gif
Spot on.
Prince Kardam for example (the eldest son of Tsar Simeon II) is sometimes styled as if being a crown prince by courtesy only. That''s the situation with his parents as well.
On a different note, I am glad Kardam is feeling better after the car accident and I wish him a full and speedy recovery!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 6:55:12 AM
Author: AdiS
Date: 5/27/2009 11:41:43 PM

Date:

In the US we use the word ''titular'' as a stand in for ''real.'' Eg. ''So and so is the titular head of the whatever it''s called political party.'' It does not imply that the person has an office when used this way, only that the person is the ''real'' head of that party.

It is my belief that the word, ''titular'' means ''in title''. (I have not looked this up.) If someone is the ''titular'' head of The Riverside Quilters League, then she is the nominal head of that group. She is the head according to title. She holds the title. She is the one who is called, ''President of The Riverside Quilters League''. Whether she is the real head of The Riverside Quilters league is another question altogether. Because in English being called, ''the titular head'' carries with it the implication that one is only the titular head of something and not someone who holds real power. In English the use of the word ''titular'' usually implies that the person holds an office in name (or title) only.

Bobby used the word titular in this description: ''TM The King & The Queen of Bulgaria (titular)''. That makes sense to me, because their majesties the King and Queen of Bulgaria are King and Queen of Bulgaria in name only. They do not actually rule Bulgaria nor are they formally or legally recognized by Bulgaria in any way.

AGBF

34.gif
Spot on.

Prince Kardam for example (the eldest son of Tsar Simeon II) is sometimes styled as if being a crown prince by courtesy only. That''s the situation with his parents as well.

On a different note, I am glad Kardam is feeling better after the car accident and I wish him a full and speedy recovery!

Hi, Danny!

I hope Deb''s posts made it clearer to you what TITULAR means when it comes to non ruling kings, grand dukes, etc. For further information you can check the Wikipedia article about Titular ruler.

I''m glad that the Prince of Turnovo is feeling better now and wish him to recover quickly.
Talking about Prince Karadam, here is a picure of him and his wife Princess Miriam with her wedding tiara and a big necklace with big stones. Do you know what the stones in the jewel are?

50837648.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I don't stop to ask directions and I don't look up words unless I am forced to do so. I thank you, Bobby, for the link to Wikipedia, which provided a link to the Merriam Webster on-line dictionary. Merriam Webster defined "titular" succinctly and far better than I could have (of course).

Main Entry
1 tit·u·lar
Pronunciation: \ˈti-chə-lər, ˈtich-lər\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin titulus title
Date: 1611
1 a: existing in title only ; especially : bearing a title derived from a defunct ecclesiastical jurisdiction (as an episcopal see) b: having the title and usually the honors belonging to an office or dignity without the duties, functions, or responsibilities
2: bearing a title : titled
3: of, relating to, or constituting a title
— tit·u·lar·ly adverb

AGBF
34.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
>>

Those stones look like they might be Angel Skin or Coral something or the other !!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 2:22:33 PM
Author: bebe
<<<Talking about Prince Karadam, here is a picure of him and his wife Princess Miriam with her wedding tiara and a big necklace with big stones. Do you know what the stones in the jewel are? >>>

Those stones look like they might be Angel Skin or Coral something or the other !!

Thanks for the response, bebe. I was thinking about corals but wasn''t sure. I haven''t heard about that Angel Skin stone, is it a kind of coral?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results