shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Brilliant ACA or Premium Select

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
HI Pricescope Community,

I am in the process of searching for a round diamond. I have read through many threads on here and feel like I am becoming more knowledgable about diamonds and I thank you all.

I am posting 2 different diamonds and I would like all of your expert opinions. I know that everyone may say get the ACA, but honestly I feel the GIA is more impressive. What do you think, am I missing something?
Right now, I am looking for a 1.3 G VS2 diamond because unfortunately, money is a huge factor. I am very light sensitive and am looking for a white diamond, so I don't really want to go below a G.

Here are the two diamonds that I am interested in. I will also post the setting that I like. Your opinions are appreciated.
G VS2 ACA
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092180.htm
G VS2 Premium Select
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4107653.htm
Setting
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...s/french-set-diamond-engagement-ring-2548.htm

Thank you :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you say the GIA is more impressive?

I think the images look incredibly similar. Can you ask WF to send you IRL pics or videos of both stones?

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
It looks to me that the GIA doesn't have as many inclusions and appears a bit whiter. ?

I think the images look incredibly similar. Can you ask WF to send you IRL pics or videos of both stones?

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock

Also, I didn't know they could send IRL pics and videos, thank you for the info.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both are beautiful diamonds and will look great in the setting. I agree with lovedogs and would ask WF to send you videos of both stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I didn't know they could send IRL pics and videos, thank you for the info.

yes, they definitely can!

It looks to me that the GIA doesn't have as many inclusions and appears a bit whiter. ?

I don't see any differences in color or clarity, but maybe videos or pictures would show any differences between the two.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @lovedogs and @marcy ...both stones look beautiful. Ask for side-by-side photos. Ask WF why the GIA stone did not make the ACA line.
If its not something that bothers you and you dont see any difference in the pictures they send then save yourself $500 and go with the GIA.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I, too, am very color sensitive. These both look to be beautiful diamonds, as others have stated. For whatever it is that designated the GIA stone to not be ACA I personally do not feel you will see the difference IRL. If anything, I think the only "difference" that you could potentially see is a variation in color. While AGS is definitely strict on cut, I think they are not so much on color. I have seen an AGS0 cut grade in G color that looked like a GIA I color. My jeweler who is an AGS jeweler and carries AGS0 stones has also questioned clarity grades on their reports. You said you are color sensitive. And for some reason you seem to feel that the GIA stone has better color and clarity. Also, you are of the mindset that GIA is "better"... or that you feel more comfortable with a GIA report over an AGS report. I totally understand where you are coming from. I think Love Dogs gave great advice to see if you can get other images (maybe little video of diamond on their hand with a stone holder???) and also feedback as to why it didn't make ACA. But I think that in your mind you will always think the GIA stone had better clarity and color and you feel most comfortable with a GIA lab report in which case if you get the AGS stone you will always "wonder" if you made the right choice. It isn't like the GIA stone is a bad cut by any stretch! But try to get more "real life" images as Love Dogs suggested because the color of the ACA may, in fact, be on par with the color of the GIA stone and if you are willing to spend the extra $ for it, you will have the comfort of knowing that there is no question whatsoever, you will have the best cut you can get.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the difference of roughly $500, I would personally go for the ACA. No doubts, no worries.

All of the super ideal cut stones are graded by AGS for all of the super ideal cut vendors here. They don't round numbers and are light performance based. You know exactly what you have. Ask WF to take pictures for you - they will be happy to oblige!

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Yes, after brightening the screen on my computer, I could really see the difference in light performance. I am definitely going with the ACA.

Thank you :appl:
For the difference of roughly $500, I would personally go for the ACA. No doubts, no worries.

All of the super ideal cut stones are graded by AGS for all of the super ideal cut vendors here. They don't round numbers and are light performance based. You know exactly what you have. Ask WF to take pictures for you - they will be happy to oblige!

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
You guys have been great with opinions & advice, so I have another diamond that I have found. It is an Expert Selection and seems to be almost as brilliant and sparkly as the ACA. I'm just wondering what you think. It is a $1,400 difference which is important to me, I could use that extra money to put into work that my house needs. Give me your honest opinions please.

Here is the one that I LOVE ACA G VS2:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092180.htm

Here is the Expert Selection H VS2:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4049810.htm

I wanted to stay at a G but this H looks pretty good to me. What do you think?

Thanks =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get the side-by-side pictures? What did WF say about the two stones?

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
Did you get the side-by-side pictures? What did WF say about the two stones?
I didn't yet this is a different stone. The ACA is the same stone but now I'm comparing it to an Expert Selection stone. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Expert Selection.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are both going to be beautiful and likely very, very similar looks as far as light performance. This comes down to color tolerance. I’d ask their opinion on the H color grade and see if they can compare the two. If you aren’t color sensitive or concerned about whether the H may be borderline I in color, I’d go with the H. Like you said you can do a lot with the $1400 saved, you get the same upgrade benefits whether you buy ACA or ES, and both have the same AGS 000 pedigree. Can’t go wrong from a cut perspective.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask WD why the expert selection above missed the ACA brand
I suspect it was something minor or borderline. If you aren't color sensitive I would go with the expert selection both are very nice stones.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the Premium Select the most out of the three diamonds you're considering. It's a really good example of the PS line (some PS stones are sort of "meh" from a cut perspective) and it does look a bit whiter/more colorless in the videos than the other G and the H, but really hard to tell in WF videos. And finally, it's a bit cheaper than the G/VS2 ACA, so a nice middle ground between the G ACA or dropping to an H and sacrificing color. :)

Agree that you should try and get photos of the 3 diamonds pavilion up against a white background to see which one looks the most colorless.

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
They are both going to be beautiful and likely very, very similar looks as far as light performance. This comes down to color tolerance. I’d ask their opinion on the H color grade and see if they can compare the two. If you aren’t color sensitive or concerned about whether the H may be borderline I in color, I’d go with the H. Like you said you can do a lot with the $1400 saved, you get the same upgrade benefits whether you buy ACA or ES, and both have the same AGS 000 pedigree. Can’t go wrong from a cut perspective.
I saw someone post on here their ACA that was an I in color and I was surprised at how white it looked. If the H looks as good as that stone did then I will be very happy!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Count me as a fan of the ES line at WF. Haven’t looked at the stones you called out, but if you don’t ‘need’ the super-ideal/branding (not putting them down AT ALL), the ES/PS stones are a great value (assuming the cut is good, etc), and these product lines also qualify for WF’s generous upgrade program. So if funds are tight/needed elsewhere now, it’s a great option to go with an ES/PS diamond now, as WF is a reputable vendor who you can - later when funds are available - work with to easily upgrade to an ACA or other color/clarity combo you want.

FWIW my avatar pic shows my WF ES diamond; and you can read about my journey & see more pics/videos by searching my older threads. I LOVE my ES and have no intention of ever upgrading it, but nice to know I could if I change my mind.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H ES looks great as well. I would ask WF to do a video for you comparing the H ES and G ACA. I totally trust their opinions so ask them anything you are concerned about - color, sparkle, fire, cut etc.

iwantadiamond

Rough_Rock
:wavey: Count me as a fan of the ES line at WF. Haven’t looked at the stones you called out, but if you don’t ‘need’ the super-ideal/branding (not putting them down AT ALL), the ES/PS stones are a great value (assuming the cut is good, etc), and these product lines also qualify for WF’s generous upgrade program. So if funds are tight/needed elsewhere now, it’s a great option to go with an ES/PS diamond now, as WF is a reputable vendor who you can - later when funds are available - work with to easily upgrade to an ACA or other color/clarity combo you want.

FWIW my avatar pic shows my WF ES diamond; and you can read about my journey & see more pics/videos by searching my older threads. I LOVE my ES and have no intention of ever upgrading it, but nice to know I could if I change my mind.
Thank you for the information, and your ring is gorgeous!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results