shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Cut Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock

A couple of years ago my grandmother gave me her engagement and wedding band set. Considering my wedding is coming up in Oct, I really wanted to wear her ring on my right hand. Taking it to a few jewelers, it was come to the the conclusion that the setting could not be fixed, that it would be better to have the diamond reset.

When I went to have it set, the jeweler told me the ring was well over 100 years old, much older than the proposed 55+ years that my grandmother had worn it, and that it was a rose cut.

I can''t seem to find too much info on rose cut stones. Is this a different name for another antique cut?

Can anyone share some info or lead me in the right direction? :) Thanks!!!

9.gif

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. It doesn''t quite look like those pictures. It does have some depth to it, so it doesn''t quite seem to look like "glass" in the middle like the ones pictured.

Hard to tell when I don''t have it in hand at the moment.

Thanks so much for the info!!!
36.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the rose cut is still set it may have a foiled backing or an empty space below it creating an illusion of depth. Rose cuts can have a high or low dome but every one of them has a totally flat bottom, no pavilion. You need a special setting made to make one look its best. Modern prong settings are not going to make it look like it should although a see through effect is acceptable for some people. Most original rose cuts had a backing to reflect light back to the eyes.

Rose cuts were also backed with lampblack in some countries to give them a darm face and make the surface reflections more observable. Most British and French pieces had shiny backings or reflector backs.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much! I think they might be mistaken, given that information. There is no backing of any kind, I''ve now seen the stone in and out of the setting. Also the back is not flat - looks like when I have the diamond back I''ll either upload a pic, or do some searching through here for other possibilities of cut. I do know it was cut at least 80 years ago, if not longer than that. And its not brilliant cut.

Thank you all for your information! This website and the members are invaluable!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results