shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daune

Rough_Rock
My son was originally looking for an asscher or princess shape ring of 1.5 to 2. carats with a budget of not over $10,000. His girlfriend wants a ring that looks BIG. A friend told me that a rose cut ring looks much bigger than it actually is and a 2 carat ring would look like 4 carots. However I am having a hard time getting any info about rose cut diamonds. Does anyone know anything about them. Any advise would be appreciated.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
a rose cut is very different from a modern brilliant cut. It has triangular shaped facets across the top of the stone and a flat base usually. This is a very old cut of diamond and doesn''t give off the brilliance of the modern cuts. I think she''d have to see one first to decide if she likes it as her diamond would look much different from her friends'' diamonds who probabaly have modern cuts. As a vintage stone they can be quite beautfiul, just different. Not at all typical today, I don''t think I''ve ever seen one in a jewelry store anywhere.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The Indians are cutting rose cuts, so you *can* get them but I certainly wouldn''t buy one without showing the GF first. A rose cut is very glassy and will definitely not have anywhere near the brilliance of a modern cut.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
If she wants a big look, I''d go for a marquise over a rose cut...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they know what that looks like and love it, why not. It is true that rose cuts are tremendously spready-er than any other cut.

They don't look like any other diamonds either - rose cuts without backing are practically transparent - like some particularly transparent piece of glass. Someone who likes rose cuts, may also like diamonds in their rough state these days.

Also rose cuts are the least expensive per carat - so for 10k you may end up with more than 2 cts to begin with!

Here's what the beast looks like: Loose

03045-0338.P00.JPG

And round ones set in a fine modern necklace
9.gif
HERE

And in a ring (5 cts rose cut)

Ring_RoseCut_5180.jpg

And a couple of smaller ones (ignore Ebay - the shop is not half bad, only they don't have much of a website), just for example: ring and earrings.

If you still like what you see... there should be no problem finding a fine rose cut diamond.

These guys have allot of flair and mystery - but not much brilliance, and unless the wearer is prepared to promote heavily her unusual ring... this may be trouble anywhere but in a group of relatively sophisticated jewelry aficionado. From a post, I can't tell anything about this part.

My 2c

LargeRoseDiamonds.JPG

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
What do you all think about a sizable rose cut with a halo and pave shank? That could bring some sparkle to the ring but still showcase the unusual center stone.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
"A major advance in faceting came about with the introduction of the polishing wheel, or scaife, in the middle of the 14th century. This led the way for manufacturing brighter diamonds with increased facet pattern complexity. In this same era the rose cut (below) appeared. Its shape is basically flat and usually circular, with a faceted, domed top and plain bottom. This cut was well suited to the use of diamond fragments and the thinner forms of diamond rough called macles and flats. The major sources of this cut, which had many variations, were the diamond centers of Amsterdam and Antwerp, and were common until the early 1900''s."

rose2 copy.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 8:52:41 PM
Author: Kit
What do you all think about a sizable rose cut with a halo and pave shank? That could bring some sparkle to the ring but still showcase the unusual center stone.
IMHO, looking at the picture Ana posted above....it''d look too cocktail ringish...but thats just me. I do think that necklace link is beautiful however.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI ... Rose cuts were featured prominently in the latest issue of Town & Country Weddings (along with cushions & marquise) as "the next big thing"

Little did I know, they meant BIG literally!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, Rose-cut Diamonds are considered part of the antique Diamond family...

And as we all know, Antique in IN, and will probably stay IN for quite a while.

You sons GF might actually love this look, it is popular and classic!!!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

Aren''t there rose cuts that are also faceted on the bottom?

I have to admit that I have been thinking about rose cuts for a while (ever since I found this ring below, as well as some others at http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/). But I have been having a hard enough time trying to find a good old mine cut stone. I can imagine a two carati-ish rose cut of good color and clarity would be hard to find? Please feel free to prove me wrong!

About this ring: It has been sold
39.gif
, but I was wondering...Do you think it has been photoshopped so that you can''t "see through" the stones? It just looks odd to me.

3stonerosecut.jpeg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its much easier to find Rose-cuts than OMC''s
The Indians are cutting them by the pound, but to find a beautifull Rose-cut with nice symmetry is much harder to find.

The ring in you picture is a copy (and not a good one!!!) of a one of a kind created by JAR in Paris, which was sold at Christies auction in Geneva not to long ago.

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Please don''t do this to me- show me a cut I''ve never seen but can easily fall in love with!!!!! *concentrate, mantra* - must have cushion, must have cushion.....
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 5:52:48 AM
Author: fatafelice

Aren't there rose cuts that are also faceted on the bottom?

Some are. I think that is called a 'Dutch rose' - but the style does not help these stones become allot brighter - they are still rose cuts all the way. Sure enough, very lovely, in my book
1.gif

But I have been having a hard enough time trying to find a good old mine cut stone. I can imagine a two carati-ish rose cut of good color and clarity would be hard to find? Please feel free to prove me wrong!

Sorry... can't do much. DiaGem maybe?
2.gif
Among the sellers posting here, Icestore has some pieces with small rose cut diamonds. Maybe they could prove you wrong too.

About this ring: It has been sold, but I was wondering...Do you think it has been photoshopped so that you can't 'see through' the stones? It just looks odd to me.

No... the picture is so 'treated' such detail wouldn't show, IMO. But in real life rose cuts are sometimes backed - i'e there is a sheet of metal under them as there is on the back of a mirror - for the same purpose. The resulting 'diamond mirror' has 100% 'light return' of course, and the facets of the diamond break the light producing glitter just like they don on any other cut - rose cut diamonds with higher domes are more effective at this, I feel. Whether this was the case for the respective ring, no idea - I can only see the same picture you have and nothing more. Other rose rings at the same seller are backed.

My 2c

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 5:52:48 AM
Author: fatafelice

But I have been having a hard enough time trying to find a good old mine cut stone.

Contact Oldminer (Dave Atlas). His company wholesales older stones, so he might be able to tell you where to look. He helped me find my OMC.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really don't sell any diamonds or make a market in them any longer. A great source of Rose cuts and old cuts is Michael Goldstein located in 580 Fifth Ave. NYC. His firm is of the same name. I started Mike off into this business and he has done an excellent job of expanding the range of what he carries from Old Euro cuts into old mine cushions, rose cuts and briolettes.

Nearly all rose cuts are backed up by foil or some reflective material or they would look very watery. They can be attractive, but hardly compete for beauty with more normally cut diamonds.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a photo of a rose cut diamond that I was emailed by Ari Madilian at Singlestone.com. He is very knowledgable and deals exclusively with old cut stones. I believe that this stone was much whiter in person than shows in the photo... more to follow!

singlestonerose.JPG

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
another view

ssrose2.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 5:18:51 PM
Author: tiger007g
Here's a photo of a rose cut diamond that I was emailed by Ari Madilian at Singlestone.com. He is very knowledgeable and deals exclusively with old cut stones. I believe that this stone was much whiter in person than shows in the photo... more to follow!

Wow, wow, wow!
30.gif

I'm not sure I would call that a rose cut - perhaps 'table cut' because of the large flat facet on top (rose cuts typically end in a point). The ring must have story... The shape of this stone reminds me of some unusual vintage jewelry using diamonds such as these to cover watch faces, small pictures and what not (hence another obscure name: 'portrait cut' diamonds). I'd bet it takes a true expert to tell this sort of story.
34.gif

Thanks for the picture treat. It looks rather large - what is the weight and grades? And price? (if this is better left untold, a ballpark clue by PM would be good too).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2006 5:23:49 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 1/26/2006 5:18:51 PM
Author: tiger007g
Here''s a photo of a rose cut diamond that I was emailed by Ari Madilian at Singlestone.com. He is very knowledgeable and deals exclusively with old cut stones. I believe that this stone was much whiter in person than shows in the photo... more to follow!

A table cut ??
9.gif
Wow, wow, wow!
30.gif

Thanks for the picture treat. It looks rather large - what is the weight and grades? And price? (if this is better left untold, a ballpark clue by PM would be good too).
Hi Ana, I believe this diamond is what is called a Portrait Cut

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 5:28:52 PM
Author: DiaGem

... writing while the previous post was getting the due edit. These are sort of unusual, no? Never seen one in a ring before
10.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2006 5:31:55 PM

... writing while the previous post was getting the due edit. These are sort of unusual, no? Never seen one in a ring before
10.gif
Sorry, didnt mean to offend...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 5:50:46 PM

Date: 1/26/2006 5:31:55 PM

Sorry, didnt mean to offend...
Oh... no... it isn''t that bad. I should be listening to you. Got carried away this time (''bet there were many more times... all not wanted, really).

It is quite common to keep a post open for quite long, covering what others are posting in the meantime. Technical glitch
38.gif

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Wish I had more info. on the stone to share!

I was enquiring about antique cushions (part of my seemingly never-ending search) and he thought it might be a cut that would also spark my interest... I assume it is a pretty sizeable stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results