shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Cut Diamond Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all, I have a quick question for those of you who are knowledgeable about diamonds (i am not). I saw a lovely ring in a local jewelry store and the salesperson told me it had a rose cut diamond in the middle. It was a round bezeled diamond (i think around 1.3-1.5 carats) with two beautiful light blue sapphires bezeled on either side.

The price of the ring seemed way too reasonable compared to others i have seen, so my question is this....It had a lovely cut around the edges, but you could see straight down through the middle of the ring, as if the center was glass. I thought perhaps a poor cut had contributed to the affordability, but they told me no and that''s the way it was supposed to be cut. Is this normal for a rose cut diamond? I know they a very old cut....

I have found a similar looking cut online and will post for reference. FYI - I know the stone in this picture is yellow, but the one i saw was quite white...

Thanks in advance for your time in explaining!

rose cut diamond.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yep, that''s normal. Rose cuts are facted on top but almost flat on the bottom. They''re spready but shallow. Real shallow.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the prompt reply! Are they typically less expensive as a result of the cut or no?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2008 2:21:19 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Yep, that''s normal. Rose cuts are facted on top but almost flat on the bottom. They''re spready but shallow. Real shallow.
Some great rose-cuts have depth.

Depth.JPG

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2008 2:30:16 PM
Author: violet3
Thanks for the prompt reply! Are they typically less expensive as a result of the cut or no?

A number of factors can contribute to the price of rose cuts:

-new or antique? (lots of newly cut rose cuts on the market now, many of which are being represented as old)
-the usual color/clarity factors
-carat weight will be far lower than you expect for the face up size. If it faces up like a 1.5 carat, it weighs a lot less - probably under a carat.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 2:41:22 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 9/4/2008 2:21:19 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Some great rose-cuts have depth.
Sorry, semantics. You''re talking TOTAL depth, I was using the term shallow to indicate the diamond BELOW the girdle.

You''re correct, your pics are deep...just deep as in tall crowns.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results