shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With health issues T had from stress when I introduced Hugo, they were apart until Hugo was about 8 or 9 months old. Then I had to verrry slowly introduce them because Hugo was SO THRILLED to have a cat playmate he was playing with/attacking T whenever I tried to have them together. I had to exercise him on my own to tucker him out and then put them together. It took about two months before I could let them alone. So at least to me the trouble you are having introducing Oliver does not seem unusual. Sometimes people are able to plop young cats into an established household with no problem and other times it takes a longer time. But I wouldn’t worry yet.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, could you put Oliver in a carrier then bring the carrier into the room where all other cats are. Then Interact with the other cats while Ollie watches. Then bring him back into your bedroom. Do that a couple times a day before letting him out “off cage” with them. ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, could you put Oliver in a carrier then bring the carrier into the room where all other cats are. Then Interact with the other cats while Ollie watches. Then bring him back into your bedroom. Do that a couple times a day before letting him out “off cage” with them. ?

Ha! Great minds. That’s exactly what we’re doing now and I just let him out of the playpen which we placed in the living room about 90 minutes ago. He was crying so hard. He’s running around now and we’ll see how it goes. Thanks for checking in and I hope you’re doing well ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I think that’s a great idea about the playpen and the carrier. It may be Oliver is asserting dominance as little as he is..He’s trying to find his order in the pack...The other kitties are being submissive..so they are under him in the order of the pack...By putting him in a carrier or in the playpen they would be dominant over him.. When Bailey was a baby I was told by the vet to sit next to him and eat in front of him first. He had to wait until I was finished. Then I would feed him. It was showing him that I was Alpha. I have no idea if it works that way with cats. Maybe you can let him out but if he scratches he goes immediately back in the carrier or playpen. These may be silly ideas but just brainstorming here..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - are we at 4 weeks yet? I am seriously holding my breath. We must be within a day or two, yes? Holding you all in my prayers.

And Oliver - seriously - get your shit together, man. For what it's worth, Missy - we see this in dog rescue all the time - dogs join a pack and are pushy-shovey - they take a while to find their place and throw their weight around in the meantime. They normally settle down if given clear guidelines by their owners as to behavior. Takes a little while tho.

Sending you all hugs. How do you feel about going back to NYC?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean Borris is alpha in our house as Daddy's little girl (imangine smilie thingy)
I always feed the cats first because i have trouble getting tea on the table before 7pm and cats would be dialing up the SPCA to complain about malnourished

Gary complains he has to wait, i tell him it says in the bible to feed animals first (i think it means to buy their food first) he rolls his eyes
but if Borris is full or out walking off her meal she is less likely to eagle eye my plate !
Tibby is a gentleman and always waits to be asked but Borris will sit on the arm of my chair and gets within a hair's breath of my dinner
especially if its chicken

oh well its not like we take our fur children out to resturants !

Missy, oh girl you are brave getting a harness !
Borris is a gentle girl who never lifts a claw in anger but I'd never risk my skin getting a harness on her
i hope young Master Ollie is ok with it
but if its best for Tommy then little Ollie will have to suck it up,
its a releaf he's good with Fred

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, Fred melts my heart. There's just something about him.

He is a special kitty. He was a blood donor kitty at a vet clinic as no one would adopt him and they decided to keep him sparing his life at the shelter but put him to work as a blood donor kitty for other cats needing surgery at the clinic. When Greg and I found out about him we adopted him despite his having bad asthma. That was over 17 years ago. And until now he has had a relatively peaceful life. I am sad about what we put him through due to adopting Oliver but I know it is what it is and I cannot change that past but praying we can give him a quality future for however long we are able to have him here with us. We adore him. He is a good baby.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With health issues T had from stress when I introduced Hugo, they were apart until Hugo was about 8 or 9 months old. Then I had to verrry slowly introduce them because Hugo was SO THRILLED to have a cat playmate he was playing with/attacking T whenever I tried to have them together. I had to exercise him on my own to tucker him out and then put them together. It took about two months before I could let them alone. So at least to me the trouble you are having introducing Oliver does not seem unusual. Sometimes people are able to plop young cats into an established household with no problem and other times it takes a longer time. But I wouldn’t worry yet.

Thank you @distracts. I am hoping we can make this work. After all this it would be horrible to have to give Oliver back to Elaine. It amazes me that a little kitten can rule over the other older cats. Tommy is an alpha cat but somehow with Oliver he is not. :/

Glad you made it work with Hugo and T. Happy endings rock.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So as I wrote we started doing this already with Oliver and it didn't go too well yesterday but we are going to continue and hope it will help. He cried the whole time in the playpen and the other cats ignored him so no one was sniffing anyone. And when we let him out he started chasing Tommy. Who basically just ran and hid. And Oliver is very food motivated and if food is around nothing else matters and he is never satiated. We cover all the food when we bring him out of the bedroom and that is also hard on the other cats as they graze all day long. Not sure how we are going to handle it when we let him out for good. But we will continue taking this one day at a time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I think that’s a great idea about the playpen and the carrier. It may be Oliver is asserting dominance as little as he is..He’s trying to find his order in the pack...The other kitties are being submissive..so they are under him in the order of the pack...By putting him in a carrier or in the playpen they would be dominant over him.. When Bailey was a baby I was told by the vet to sit next to him and eat in front of him first. He had to wait until I was finished. Then I would feed him. It was showing him that I was Alpha. I have no idea if it works that way with cats. Maybe you can let him out but if he scratches he goes immediately back in the carrier or playpen. These may be silly ideas but just brainstorming here..

Thanks Joanne. Everyone ignored him when he was in the playpen last night. What I did was I let him out and as soon as he attacked Tommy we put him back. A few times we did that and then I just put him back in the bedroom where I joined him and got ready for bed. It was tough going as he was either constantly chasing Tommy or growling and we hope today is better. We had him out with the other cats for at least 5 days in a row for an hour or 2 but yesterday was the first day we used the playpen. Glad it worked out so well with Bailey. Right now I wish we just had dogs to contend with lol. They seem way more manageable than our cats at the moment.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, oh girl you are brave getting a harness !
Borris is a gentle girl who never lifts a claw in anger but I'd never risk my skin getting a harness on her
i hope young Master Ollie is ok with it
but if its best for Tommy then little Ollie will have to suck it up,
its a releaf he's good with Fred

We didn't start with a harness yet as my sister said do the playpen/carrier first and see how it goes. I don't think Oliver will be happy with a harness and he can be a little hellion and very difficult to control. For an 8 lb cat he is very strong!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - are we at 4 weeks yet? I am seriously holding my breath. We must be within a day or two, yes? Holding you all in my prayers.

And Oliver - seriously - get your shit together, man. For what it's worth, Missy - we see this in dog rescue all the time - dogs join a pack and are pushy-shovey - they take a while to find their place and throw their weight around in the meantime. They normally settle down if given clear guidelines by their owners as to behavior. Takes a little while tho.

Sending you all hugs. How do you feel about going back to NYC?

Thank you @mrs-b. I hope Oliver settles down. It is compounded by the fact we kept Oliver isolated for a full 5 plus months. I know that didn't help matters but at the time it was what we felt we had to do. Now we are all (especially Oliver) paying the price. I so hope you are right and with time they all settle down. Greg and I are doing our best to give clear guidelines but cats are funny animals.

Thank you for asking...I am anxious about returning to NYC mainly because Greg is getting surgery and of course I am concerned for his well being. Surgery is nerve wracking even if it is just knee replacement surgery. And all this it will be on me for a while while he is recuperating. I just hope the surgery goes well for him. Plus the layout of our home is quite different in NYC and not sure where we can isolate Oliver if need be.

Yes today is 4 weeks but I am not even sure the vet kept the cultures as she felt 3 weeks was sufficient. I might call today but am not sure I am up for it. I have a periodontal appointment today too so lots of things happening and I am sort of scared to call the vet's office. I found out she wasn't checking daily (as I felt she should have) but instead checked at 10 days and then at 3 weeks and as I wrote above not sure she kept the cultures. :/

Thank you for the hugs and sending you (((hugs))) too. I would love to hear (either online or off) any bling updates you have from your NYC visit.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck Missy
we have our fingers and toes and paws and tails all crossed for you

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: Greg called the vet office and today we are officially RW free! Woohoo! I won't lie- I am still not feeling completely relieved and still feeling somewhat anxious but I hope it is true and they are and will remain RW free. Thank you to everyone here. I truly appreciate your generous support over all these months.

Fred, Tommy, Bobby and Oliver send their purry love to each and everyone of you.

Oliver this morning. When he is sleeping he is an angel.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.51.06 PM.png

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
source.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome news Missy! I am so excited to hear that. :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update: Greg called the vet office and today we are officially RW free! Woohoo! I won't lie- I am still not feeling completely relieved and still feeling somewhat anxious but I hope it is true and they are and will remain RW free. Thank you to everyone here. I truly appreciate your generous support over all these months.

Fred, Tommy, Bobby and Oliver send their purry love to each and everyone of you.

oh Missy
this is indeed great news
i hole your day was wounderfuly relaxing
you both deserve a medal for the last almost half year
its sure been an ordeal
what a wounderful Christmas present to be RW free
and no more shampooing
the kitties are going to be sooooo happy
im sooooo happy and released for you all

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg MISSY! I am SO THRILLED!

Thank you @distracts and thank you for supporting and encouraging and helping me the whole way through. XOXO.

Yassssss....RW : beaten by two heroes!!!!! Congrats, your hard work and persistence paid off!!

Thank you very much @kipari. I don't feel like a hero though we do feel like we have been through a war. One we are still fighting but it has taken a different turn. Now onto socializing this little baby who is part sweet :halo: and (a big) part devilish. :twisted: Just ask Tommy. But as with everything challenging taking it one day at a time.

Thank you @JPie. Appreciate your support and encouragement through all of it. I remembered your bug analogy and it helped.

HI:

OH MANOMAN! Such sweet news! I am raising my glass to you and Greg tonight!!!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you dear Sharon. You are a true friend and I appreciate all your caring support. Very much. Cheers to you.

cheers.gif

That is awesome news Missy! I am so excited to hear that. :appl:

Thank you so much Marcy and thank you for always being here for me offline too. You are a good friend.

This thread is a master class on how to figure out what you can do, manage what you can control, and persevere. You are an inspiration @missy ! Congratulations - this is such good news.

Thank you @facetgirl. It really helped having your caring support and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. When things get to be overwhelming it is amazing how the kindness of others makes such a difference.

oh Missy
this is indeed great news
i hole your day was wounderfuly relaxing
you both deserve a medal for the last almost half year
its sure been an ordeal
what a wounderful Christmas present to be RW free
and no more shampooing
the kitties are going to be sooooo happy
im sooooo happy and released for you all

Dear Daisy thank you. And lol let's not get ahead of ourselves. I am not sure I want to stop the shampooing though Greg has expressed that very same desire::). My sister says we can stop the daily cleaning and shampooing but I am hesitant to do so...though I know it would be a big relief to Greg if we could stop. I guess we have to stop sometime. After all these months I just don't want it to come back yanno?

But onward and forward and we are heading back to NYC in just 2 weeks so I guess we should stop as in NYC we cannot bathe them this way. It would be almost impossible to do it there. Maybe just continue for the next 2 weeks? I am talking out loud please ignore me.

We are taking care of Tommy now and his hyperthryoidism and in fact bringing him all the way to Great Neck this Saturday for his follow up since he has been on the thyroid meds for almost 3 weeks now. I think we are going to have to increase his dose of meds but will see what the blood work shows. Maybe we can just stop the shampooing and give everyone including my dh a break. Thank you for all your months of cheerful support and encouragement. Hope everyone is doing well by you.

thankyoufromthecats.gif

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Best. News. Ever! So happy for you all but sending continued healthy vibes your way that it remains so! You guys beat a very formidable foe. Persistence and vigilance won out! Congratulations!
Sweet Ollie! ♥️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best. News. Ever! So happy for you all but sending continued healthy vibes your way that it remains so! You guys beat a very formidable foe. Persistence and vigilance won out! Congratulations!
Sweet Ollie! ♥

Dear Slick, thank you. Thank you for being such a good friend. Always here for me (on and offline) despite your many serious challenges this past year. And I am continuing to send bucketloads of healing dust your way and big hugs and much love.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy to hear this news. I have been reading this thread all along, and commiserating with you all the way!
Good job to you and Greg for being steadfast in the fight!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thoughts and prayers Greg is ok
this is not the way to end the year

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results