shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring box?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rmkwebdesign

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/11/2007 2:37:00 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
No biggie...
32.gif
the dreaded arts and crafts time.

Make a template tracing the outside of the heart base. The outside measurement will be a tad larger....that is what you want-larger will fit snug. Get some foam...regular green upholstery foam will do. Cut it to the shape of the heart template and then to the height of the bottom of the base...dry fit it, make sure the foam tucks under the inside of the bottom lip. And the lid closes.

Remove the heart shaped foam...and cut a slice across from 9 o''clock to 3'' o''clock/from the top through to the bottom. Not all the way through but about 3/4 of the way down. Take a piece of velvet you have bought at the fabric store...where you got the foam...fold the fabric and place the fold between the two pieces of foam-the 9 to 3 slit you made with your exacto knife. One side of the fold will overlap the other. This will form the slit where the ring shank...(that lovely to die for ring shank that holds that magnificent stone...that is in MY setting...) will sit, erect and firm and secure. When it is opened all you will see is the stone...and about the top 1/3 of the shank.

Again dry fit all, once you are satisfied, take spray adhesive glue and spray foam and fabric backing...carefully meld the two. All that is visible when you open the heart is a fold of velvet that makes a uniform slit from 9 to 3 and flat stretched rich velvet.

I would glue the velvet to the foam...not the box. It will be a tight fit and it shoud stay in place on it''s own...if not...a simple piece of carpet tape on the bottom should make it stay. Spray Adhesive glue should be used over hot glue on the velvet part. No clumps or burns to the velvet.

Arts and crafts..this is no biggie. Really... you want the box...you can easily make it work. Honest. Find another box at home and try this technique, before you buy the box. You spend $10 at walmart...and about half an hour later...you will have the confidence to do this to the Limoges treasure box.
You will go from
32.gif
to this
36.gif
in no time!!

DKS

Or just a pouch inside to hold the ring...would work too! As others have suggested.
Interesting! Thanks.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
can''t help at all with the box...but just wanted to say...that is ring BEYOND FABULOUS!!!! seriously one of the most gorgeous rings/settings I''ve ever seen...just stunning...she''s not going to pay any attention to what box it comes it, cracker jack would even work
2.gif

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Forget the box. It doesn''t matter. Look at that ring!!!!!! !!!!

!!!!!!!
30.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Oooooookaaaaayyy... does this beauty have it''s own thread? that isn''t related to boxes...? cos it SHOULD have!!

I just have to say that I ADORE the flat prongs. SO elegant.

Love the box you chose too.

sigh.....

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
first let me just say that ring is PHENOMENAL!!!

second, YOU are phenomenally romantic and thoughtful to even THINK about and search out a special ring box to offer your ring in. there are many beautiful choices!

and third, i just wanted to mention one idea: if you go with a seashell/beach-themed box, you could always place it in the sand as the banner goes by and then say something cute like ''hey, look a sandollar!'' or seashell or whatever. or just be like, ''hey what is that in the sand?'' and have her bend down to retrieve it and as she opens it go down on one knee.

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. I just thought of something.

Do you guys think the Tiffany "Limoges" heart box is going to be branded Tiffany''s inside? I dont want her to think its a Tiffany ring.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Mystery...

Someone will have to call Tiffany and ask. I have no idea. If anything, it might have it on the bottom like "Limoges made for Tiffany". Surely not inside. I bet if it was inside it would be so tiny...at that particular time she wouldn''t notice. If you were giving the item to her wrapped as a gift in itself...she may assume that. Is your plan to hand her the box, opened? With my (sorry-I realize this is getting old) THE ring exposed? If so...it wouldn''t matter if the font were huge she won''t see it.

I really like the idea of a valuable/quality name brand treasure box. She will hold it and caress it many times over the years. So, if you really like it, don''t let that printing IF it is there-to change your mind. I realize you have to do some work on it...so if you have some hesitation in that department...that is a different story.

Rainy daze is onto the shell theme ...so Heres a pretty sparkly one... to consider. Her idea wedged in the sand is pretty cool. This one would really glimmer. But be ready for backlash from the board...they really like your Limoges choice. You know this is now A GROUP DECISION. Sorry, you lost your rights after you posted the images!!!!
2.gif

It can be found here: http://www.jeweledboxes.com/store/pc/Seashell-Jeweled-Box-7p88.htm

DKS

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You know...I just realized that the size of the box is paramount in your little ruse. It can''t be so huge that it won''t fit in your pocket...so the clamshell maybe right for this event..

Maybe a better bigger box to follow later?

Arh Arh matey, you could always drag a pirate treasure box onto the beach.

DSK

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s one stunner of a ring! Sheesh, if it were me I''d worry about her flinging the box aside completely once she spies that gorgeous ring.
30.gif
But seriously, I''m loving the idea of the Limoges box. In fact, this whole thread has made me decide I need something like that too, because I do take my ring off at night. Good luck, there are so many gorgeous ideas in this thread.

96TL

Shiny_Rock
I''m gonna have to go down to Tiffany''s and look at it (if they have it). That seashell is very nice! At least I have a few other options. Thanks DKS.

Also, I figure since its going to be late October, I''ll probably have a light jacket on. I should be able to fit it in my pocket.
2.gif

rmkwebdesign

Rough_Rock
Hey folks, a brief update. I went to Tiffany''s this weekend to see the Limoges box we''d been speaking of, the heart box with gold trim, platinum plating.

I was VERY surprised to see how tiny the box is. The photo on the web looks huge. I tried to stand an e-ring upright in the box, and there was not enough room for the lid to close. So, there''d be NO way to put in foam to stick the ring in inside. For that box to work, there would just barely be room enough to lay the ring down flat in the box.

So, I decided not to buy it, cause it wasn''t really fitting the final look I wanted. Just wanted to let folks know, in case they might be considering ordeing the box from Tiffany''s online.

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Thanks for the info. It does look huge in the picture.

dutch

Rough_Rock
I like this idea & think I might attempt it myself. There are a few on the Tiffany''s website that appear larger:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=19237524&search_params=t+box-s+0-p+13-l+-h+-c+-r+-x

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=11396275&search_params=t+box-s+0-p+11-l+-h+-c+-r+-x

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=19237559&search_params=t+box-s+0-p+13-l+-h+-c+-r+-x

But I really like the platinum box previously mentioned. Could it be modified to allow the ring to sit slightly angled? I noticed there are some ring boxes constructed this way. Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results