shape
carat
color
clarity

Rich blue Montana sapphire - thoughts? Tips? Newbie to colored stones!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So that's a good sign for the vendor. But a bad sign for that specific stone -- it's in the crown so probably not somewhere you want a chip. Had wondered why it was so cheap, so maybe not a complete surprise.

Totally agree. This is a dealbreaker for me personally

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I honestly don’t even know why I typed window!!! I meant bow tie!!! I agree it doesn’t look like a window - I honestly care less about windows, or uneven color, even wonkiness of other kinds, but something about bow ties really drives me nuts. I just find it really visually disruptive and it’s all I see when I look at this stone now.

I know this feels a bit high risk to buy abroad. I was really struggling to find something that made me AS excited, that was unheated in my budget in the USA - I know people buy stones from abroad but maybe not commonly first time - I started looking at stones from Australian vendors, Bayoto (based in Africa), so I figured...what’s the difference as far as risk goes??? I’ve ordered other products from international vendors, just nothing so expensive

I do have time, which is great. I feel like I’ve already looked at hundreds of stones online...this one stood out. Either way - it won’t be the last sapphire oh earth that I will fall in love with if it doesn’t work out LOL. The time to wait is probably a good thing for sure

So definitely your better off with a US vendor -- unlike lilith and me, you'll get better return options by going that route.

If you are looking at a vendor like bayoto who commonly only takes payment by wire transfer to nigeria (not paypal). Then yes definitely I think itd be better at the moment to use higems and oceangems. Your not flying blind with any of these vendors either -- as there are actually people here who have bought from all 3 and had good experiences. I wouldn't stress, time is on your side and you can pretty clearly see the pros and cons of all the options -- so you can sit back quietly and reach a good conclusion (remembering a good conclusion is what works best for you, not some formula the rest of us apply).

Again really if buying from srilanka direct, I do think it is worthwhile not over obsessing the details. Bowties dont show up all the time, if I remember correctly they're often caused by your body blocking some of the light onto the gem (and certain stones just have facet patterns which pick that up much more due to some destructive interferance). If you take the photo right they tend to go away. This is mainly about the light source in the photograph -- so no it is not an unscrupulous photo editing trick, it is just a property of optical bowtie the effect that when your body is not between the light source and the gem the bowtie can just go away. Which means you can't really vet for them properly till you get the stone in hand. And like the other thread said this is why we all rely on a good returns policy (lol its also probably why we write perplexing comments like 'take lots of photos so we can see how it looks in real life', as we're hoping the person taking the photos points and clicks a little indiscriminately so we can make a more educated guess about these issues). Ofcourse I would guess the oceangems stone wont have a bowtie (just a hunch mainly based on a guess that it has a lot of small inclusions which will scatter the light better). So this may be irrelevant to you -- but I am trying to say you should go with the flow a bit more if you buy in this manner (it could turn out not to meet some precisise vision of I want X but not Y).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So definitely your better off with a US vendor -- unlike lilith and me, you'll get better return options by going that route.

If you are looking at a vendor like bayoto who commonly only takes payment by wire transfer to nigeria (not paypal). Then yes definitely I think itd be better at the moment to use higems and oceangems. Your not flying blind with any of these vendors either -- as there are actually people here who have bought from all 3 and had good experiences. I wouldn't stress, time is on your side and you can pretty clearly see the pros and cons of all the options -- so you can sit back quietly and reach a good conclusion (remembering a good conclusion is what works best for you, not some formula the rest of us apply).

Again really if buying from srilanka direct, I do think it is worthwhile not over obsessing the details. Bowties dont show up all the time, if I remember correctly they're often caused by your body blocking some of the light onto the gem (and certain stones just have facet patterns which pick that up much more due to some destructive interferance). If you take the photo right they tend to go away. This is mainly about the light source in the photograph -- so no it is not an unscrupulous photo editing trick, it is just a property of optical bowtie the effect that when your body is not between the light source and the gem the bowtie can just go away. Which means you can't really vet for them properly till you get the stone in hand. And like the other thread said this is why we all rely on a good returns policy (lol its also probably why we write perplexing comments like 'take lots of photos so we can see how it looks in real life', as we're hoping the person taking the photos points and clicks a little indiscriminately so we can make a more educated guess about these issues). Ofcourse I would guess the oceangems stone wont have a bowtie (just a hunch mainly based on a guess that it has a lot of small inclusions which will scatter the light better). So this may be irrelevant to you -- but I am trying to say you should go with the flow a bit more if you buy in this manner (it could turn out not to meet some precisise vision of I want X but not Y).

I appreciate your words! I agree that the fact that people had good experience with these vendors makes me feel a lot better. I am not buying from Bayoto at this time - but might one day! that is mostly because he doesn't have quite what I am looking for although one day I would love a Pharaohs eye sapphire from him or an Aussie vendor :kiss2:

I appreciate the explanation about the bowtie. The bowtie was only the HiGems stone - the metal of the ring holder seemed to shine thru in videos but maybe an optical trick more than anything - I don't see anything like that with the OceanGems at all and am not worried about it for that stone - it looks perfect to me (even if its not perfect in the traditional sense). I am flexible on most things, honestly. I see beauty in lots of different colors, stones, and even like quirky stones that others may find unacceptable. My e-ring has little inclusions (and a warm buttery color), and I enjoyed looking at them under a loupe - I actually find them charming even though both traits are undesirable 8)

Agreed - I am in a lucky position and should relax - of course fighting it because I want a stone NOW lol but need to be patient. Also grateful to be able to even think about making such a big purchase right now as many others are not so fortunate. Everything that PSers have shared has been wonderful and generous.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed - I am in a lucky position and should relax - of course fighting it because I want a stone NOW lol but need to be patient. Also grateful to be able to even think about making such a big purchase right now as many others are not so fortunate. Everything that PSers have shared has been wonderful and generous.

It's better to wait a bit more for that perfect for you purchase than to have regrets down the road imo. Luckily, blue sapphire deposits aren't (currently) in danger of running out, unlike Brazilian paraiba or Russian alexandrite (already out), so that's also in your favor lol!

Regarding cert, I agree with @qubitasaurus that getting an AGL report is important. A few members have had experiences where their lab reports come back w/different results, e.g. heated vs. unheated, so that can be risk. I'd either wait, or ask for a conditional return if AGL comes back w/contradictory info. Just my two cents.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your words! I agree that the fact that people had good experience with these vendors makes me feel a lot better. I am not buying from Bayoto at this time - but might one day! that is mostly because he doesn't have quite what I am looking for although one day I would love a Pharaohs eye sapphire from him or an Aussie vendor :kiss2:

I appreciate the explanation about the bowtie. The bowtie was only the HiGems stone - the metal of the ring holder seemed to shine thru in videos but maybe an optical trick more than anything - I don't see anything like that with the OceanGems at all and am not worried about it for that stone - it looks perfect to me (even if its not perfect in the traditional sense). I am flexible on most things, honestly. I see beauty in lots of different colors, stones, and even like quirky stones that others may find unacceptable. My e-ring has little inclusions (and a warm buttery color), and I enjoyed looking at them under a loupe - I actually find them charming even though both traits are undesirable 8)

Actually if that is what you saw then it's more likely the higems stone has a tilt window -- something else which can be tricky to really pick up well from videos/photos.

You should be fine. But you just need to remember you're choosing to sit upstream in this process. The stone has passed through less hands, and is cheaper but the conveniences you get from buying from someone local to you are not there so much. And typically a lot of gems have quirks, so you'll have to accept and expect to a certain extent that there is high probability something will be an unexpected surprise. If you're feeling very forgiving of these surprises, as you seem to be with your daimond than it could be this is a great way for you to go. Ofcourse you should ask lots of questions to try to eliminate surprises, and you shouldn't feel compelled to keep it if you dont like the surprise you get. But you should be in the right mind set too. As if your feeling super picky this is not the way I'd advise you to go (in this case you should just pay a premium for a more local transaction with some of the benefits this offers).

One more thing ask about what happens if it goes missing in the post or takes a while to turn up. I have had an item I ordered in early March still undelivered (now at the end of april) from the US.

I sent another item EMS express post top priority (tracking and all the bells and whistles, delivery within 3-5 days) at the end of March. Due to all the bells and whistles I am excellently appraised of what happened to that package. It got as far as my local airport and then was placed in a hanger where it has been for more than a month. Because passenger planes are not flying from my country to the phillipenes and that is how EMS looks to have been delivering stuff. Top priority (and top $$$ shipping) did not help me at all.

Ofcourse I also got a package into wuhan during the middle of the lockdown there no problems. So it is luck of the draw.

Ask what happens if it goes missing, or just gets stranded in the post like most of my parcels currently are. There is a window after which you can no longer dispute charges through PayPal so you should be pretty aware that it may just vanish right at the moment (temporarily waylayed somewhere) and you may be left in this quandary of not knowing if you should dispute the charges with PayPal or not. Better if you and the vendor are both on the same page about this.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Actually if that is what you saw then it's more likely the higems stone has a tilt window -- something else which can be tricky to really pick up well from videos/photos.

You should be fine. But you just need to remember you're choosing to sit upstream in this process. The stone has passed through less hands, and is cheaper but the conveniences you get from buying from someone local to you are not there so much. And typically a lot of gems have quirks, so you'll have to accept and expect to a certain extent that there is high probability something will be an unexpected surprise. If you're feeling very forgiving of these surprises, as you seem to be with your daimond than it could be this is a great way for you to go. Ofcourse you should ask lots of questions to try to eliminate surprises, and you shouldn't feel compelled to keep it if you dont like the surprise you get. But you should be in the right mind set too. As if your feeling super picky this is not the way I'd advise you to go (in this case you should just pay a premium for a more local transaction with some of the benefits this offers).

One more thing ask about what happens if it goes missing in the post or takes a while to turn up. I have had an item I ordered in early March still undelivered (now at the end of april) from the US.

I sent another item EMS express post top priority (tracking and all the bells and whistles, delivery within 3-5 days) at the end of March. Due to all the bells and whistles I am excellently appraised of what happened to that package. It got as far as my local airport and then was placed in a hanger where it has been for more than a month. Because passenger planes are not flying from my country to the phillipenes and that is how EMS looks to have been delivering stuff. Top priority (and top $$$ shipping) did not help me at all.

Ofcourse I also got a package into wuhan during the middle of the lockdown there no problems. So it is luck of the draw.

Ask what happens if it goes missing, or just gets stranded in the post like most of my parcels currently are. There is a window after which you can no longer dispute charges through PayPal so you should be pretty aware that it may just vanish right at the moment (temporarily waylayed somewhere) and you may be left in this quandary of not knowing if you should dispute the charges with PayPal or not. Better if you and the vendor are both on the same page about this.

Interesting to know about tilt windows! If that’s all it is then it sounds like something that won’t bother me very much.

Yes this is all excellent to know with shipping. I too had a package coming from Slovenia that took an extra 6 weeks. Another from Romania that also took about the same.

I will clarify with the vendor for sure when the time comes to buy and ship. My preference is Fedex due to familiarity, so I can imagine that I can get it insured and add tracking and will push for as many precautions as possible but understand that shipping anything is a bit unstable right now and much more than normal. Thanks so much for the fair warning.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes you’re right! Blue sapphires like this aren’t going anywhere. Although I do feel very settled on the OceanGems stone if it all works out! It’s stunning to me and I can’t stop looking at photos!

Of course - I want a Paraiba next but may have to settle for something a little less exotic :lol:

thanks again for the advice

SapphireNut1

Rough_Rock
Trade
I haven't read all the replies, but speaking to the original stone, it's a heated rock creek sapphire. I send rock creek, montana stones out for heat treat every year, that's what they come back looking like.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Fun and unexpectedly early update

Sri Lanka released their lockdown for 2 days - the gem lab opened for half a day so the vendor rushed it over...I am not feeling that urgent but i am sure he is!

He sent some photos in indoor lighting...including underneath a table! Lol!

I am really excited about the stone and think the color looks beautiful...

Dimensions: 8.50*7.05*5mm

Under a table:

IMG-1587.jpg

IMG-1583.jpg

indoor/daylight lighting

IMG-1582.jpg

IMG-1580.jpg

Next to Pads to compare

IMG-1579.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1580.jpg
    IMG-1580.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 26

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Fun and unexpectedly early update

Sri Lanka released their lockdown for 2 days - the gem lab opened for half a day so the vendor rushed it over...I am not feeling that urgent but i am sure he is!

He sent some photos in indoor lighting...including underneath a table! Lol!

I am really excited about the stone and think the color looks beautiful...

Dimensions: 8.50*7.05*5mm

Under a table:

IMG-1587.jpg

IMG-1583.jpg

indoor/daylight lighting

IMG-1582.jpg

IMG-1580.jpg

Next to Pads to compare

IMG-1579.jpg

This is beautiful! Is this the one from Oceangem that you posted before?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm alarmed that those peach sapphires are being called pads. They have not a hint of pink my eyes can detect!

The blue sapphire does look very delicious, but I wonder if the picture has been doctored to make it look appealing, as the pads look so champagne/brown to me.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm alarmed that those peach sapphires are being called pads. They have not a hint of pink my eyes can detect!

The blue sapphire does look very delicious, but I wonder if the picture has been doctored to make it look appealing, as the pads look so champagne/brown to me.

Yeah - the pads aren't my cup of tea - he sent a few other photos of the pads, to my untrained eyes the smaller one looks browner/leans orange, the larger one has more pink but the cut leaves much to be desired IMO. Who knows what they cost so maybe not best comparison...

The report on the sapphire came back - I actually put down a deposit to reserve the stone, and we will wait to ship until normal shipping resumes in Sri Lanka. Taking a leap - fingers crossed that it all works out! :kiss2:

069CB479-E095-466C-8200-46F6800A1B18.jpeg IMG_1599.jpg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is clearly a doctored picture of the type that @LilAlex explained on her other thread. I hope you have a return policy worked out before you make the purchase transaction.

It could look as good irl, I just wouldn't take the risk without knowing I can return it for any reason. With Inken, I was willing to try the stones because of her generous return policy. I don't know what an IG vendor from Sri Lanka can offer.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is clearly a doctored picture of the type that @LilAlex explained on her other thread. I hope you have a return policy worked out before you make the purchase transaction.

It could look as good irl, I just wouldn't take the risk without knowing I can return it for any reason. With Inken, I was willing to try the stones because of her generous return policy. I don't know what an IG vendor from Sri Lanka can offer.

It is the close up image from the lab report (you can see it here...) not one the vendor took. It appears a bit over saturated compared to other images from the vendor

I have decided to move ahead with the stone. I am sure the return policy is nothing like that Inken offers, as this vendor is a wholesaler and not even typically direct to consumer - it would be difficult to return at all, even if the seller accepted, which I realize. If I didn't want it, I would have to privately resell on Loupetroupe.

It's part of the risk of working with a wholesaler, but another PSer reported a good experience with this vendor. If it blows up in my face, I will have no one but myself to blame for taking a leap of faith to afford the kind of stone I want which I would not have been able to from another vendor based in the USA with more generous returns and privileges that come with a higher markup.

I have seen so many images / videos of this stone - I feel good enough about it to accept the risk but realize the risks would make others uncomfortable!!!

Last edited:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
FedEx updated my tracking number stating that the package was undeliverable because it was the wrong address. I have discovered that they entered in the wrong street # into their system. They didn't even call me - thankfully I was faithfully tracking my item and called them! They were going to charge me for their data entry mistake to "update it to the correct address"...Yikes

A manager at FedEx finally helped me sort out the mess and updated my address in their system. Yeesh. The vendor did everything right on his end and even showed me a photo of my correct address that he filled out on FedEx paperwork!

So - should get the stone tomorrow. :dance: I guess there is always a risk when shipping. Nafees from gemoceanltd has been super responsive and helpful through this despite it being 9pm-10pm on his end.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It is here! It's here! I love it!!! Took photos in northern, southern and western exposure, all indoors - and one in artificial light.

It is a bright sunny day, but not a lot of bright light mid morning in my apartment....all taken with my iphone - so i know there are some features that boost color built in...but to my eyes, it is beautiful!

Southern exposure
IMG-1837.jpg
IMG-1830.jpg
IMG-1825.jpg
artificial, yellowish light
IMG-1831.jpg
northern exposure
IMG-1839.jpg
IMG-1837 (1).jpg
IMG-1834.jpg
dark hallway
IMG-1844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1842.jpg
    IMG-1842.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 38

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its lovely!!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Officially jealous!
It's better than good, it's velvety electric!

Module

Shiny_Rock
Happy for you! I enjoyed your journey!

voce

Ideal_Rock
It looks so beautiful in natural light! I'm happy for you. :appl: congrats!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, it's lovely! :D

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Couldn't have done it without you guys! love the velvety electric description :mrgreen: it reminds me of when swimming pools are lit up at night

and boy after weeks and months of let downs both personally and on a world scale - this was a very nice treat

I am so pleased with the outcome and relieved that the risk paid off - feeling very thankful right now

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 2.59.53 PM.png

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
The question now is, how will you set this beauty? :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oooh boy - I have given this a lot of thought. Of course i have! haha

We just spent a pretty penny on resetting my e-ring and buying wedding bands for myself and fiance (custom from Sholdt)...so it might be a while, might need to wait for cost of gold to go down a bit...hah! maybe first anniversary gift? We are eloping in September!

BUT that also gives me plenty of time to fantasize! i like modern and sleek...been eyeing Sholdt bezel settings again :mrgreen: - torn between 3 styles, all with their "fern finish"

Style Inspo 1
IMG-1854.jpg

Style Inspo 2
IMG-1853.jpg

Style Inspo 3
IMG-1851.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results