shape
carat
color
clarity

Rich blue Montana sapphire - thoughts? Tips? Newbie to colored stones!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I think a post on CS photography would be extremely valuable either as part of the new buyer's thread or another pinned post. I'd also love a primer on modifiers. I just don't see things in some of the photos but I know screen and medium matter. I just dont always know why.

@annagene12 Take an look (it's a rabbit hole but a worthwhile one) on the vendor vs PS photos post. It has been the most instructive post for buying CS for me at least. Yvonne's stones tend to be as represented if not better. Precision Gems appear to be very close, but I don't own one so can't say with 100% certainty. I also have a few purchases from Brad at Gen Trader and thus far the color has been exactly spot on.

LOL this is cosmic timing - I just started from pg.1 of that thread :lol:

I can't say I will ever have more time to aimlessly browse page after page of threads on PS than I do during shelter-in-place!!!

And totally agree - so far this thread is a gold mine!!!

May I ask - who is Yvonne? I see a lot of threads referencing first names of (cutters?) and not sure how to find them from there!

Thanks for your help / guidance

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I've bought from this seller after seeing him recommended here.

Higems

The caveat is that he's not in the U.S., but his photos are the most representative I've seen anywhere online (I've bought from many on the recommended vendor list). Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Best of luck in your search.

Thank you for the recommendation!!!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sorry, Yvonne is Cecile Raley Designs on Etsy. CRD SiteThere is an entire thread devoted to her work. She finds really lovely stones in gorgeous colors and are usually well cut, not necessarily precision though. But most of all her prices are reasonable for me as a newbie CS buyer. And her photos and descriptions are very good. She discloses windows, cutting challenges, zoning, and which photo is the most representative. She is also in Jersey which has less decent light than say Singapore or Australia, not sure that helps with her photos.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know folk recommended against Montanas - really struggling to find an Aussie stone that isn't too dark, or through a vendor that hasn't screeched to a halt because of the virus.

I kept combing through Gemfix - I saw this montana that seems to have a lovely color that immediately struck me - I don't mind color shift in itself - I just don't want the gray and listless quality I have occasionally seen with Montanas in photos

My fiance and I discussed - he actually feels somewhat against the idea of a heat treated stone (who knew he would be a purist???) So he'd rather spend $$ or even put something on layaway

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-290

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2:
sooo pretty - indeed a little small for my trucker hands but lovely to look at!

I feel you. Hence the overwhelming desire to halo. If your budget is larger she has a few 2 to 3 ct options. But I'd focus on the mm range as sapphire faces up a smidge larger than diamond. IIRC the .77 is 5mm similar to a 1 ct diamond.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know folk recommended against Montanas - really struggling to find an Aussie stone that isn't too dark, or through a vendor that hasn't screeched to a halt because of the virus.

I kept combing through Gemfix - I saw this montana that seems to have a lovely color that immediately struck me - I don't mind color shift in itself - I just don't want the gray and listless quality I have occasionally seen with Montanas in photos

My fiance and I discussed - he actually feels somewhat against the idea of a heat treated stone (who knew he would be a purist???) So he'd rather spend $$ or even put something on layaway

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-290

I think buying unheated Montana without gray is in itself a self-defeating goal. I've seen a lot of pictures on the web and own some Montana sapphires myself, unheated in the larger sizes and heated in the melee sizes. The unheated ones are the ones with gray, and as far as I know, Montana sapphires are heated to drive out the gray to make colors more saturated.

The stone you have picked from Gemfix looks lovely to me. It does have some gray, but a tolerable degree. See how it's described as silvery? In gems, silver is just a more appealing term for a lighter and pretty gray.

If unheated without gray is the criteria, then it's best to look to other sapphire origins. But for the unusual colors that are found in Montana sapphires, if you insist on unheated you should learn to tolerate a bit of gray. Otherwise, relax the unheated criterion. Good luck deciding.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I feel you. Hence the overwhelming desire to halo. If your budget is larger she has a few 2 to 3 ct options. But I'd focus on the mm range as sapphire faces up a smidge larger than diamond. IIRC the .77 is 5mm similar to a 1 ct diamond.

Yes I noted they tend to be very different in size! I definitely want 7mm+ - so it may mean more $$ :cry: I feel so strongly about the size - I just feel like dainty stones make my hands look huge

thanks for sharing her info...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think buying unheated Montana without gray is in itself a self-defeating goal. I've seen a lot of pictures on the web and own some Montana sapphires myself, unheated in the larger sizes and heated in the melee sizes. The unheated ones are the ones with gray, and as far as I know, Montana sapphires are heated to drive out the gray to make colors more saturated.

The stone you have picked from Gemfix looks lovely to me. It does have some gray, but a tolerable degree. See how it's described as silvery? In gems, silver is just a more appealing term for a lighter and pretty gray.

If unheated without gray is the criteria, then it's best to look to other sapphire origins. But for the unusual colors that are found in Montana sapphires, if you insist on unheated you should learn to tolerate a bit of gray. Otherwise, relax the unheated criterion. Good luck deciding.

I really appreciate the explanations- I don’t mind a little silvery - I realize that I just want the stone to be lively! I’ve seen some grey hued stones that look muddy and almost lifeless - not sure how else to describe it.

I really appreciate your input - everyone has been extremely helpful

I love this stone! Laura and Andrew let me know that their whole inventory is unavailable bc their building is closed - so will give me time to make sure!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
... IIRC the .77 is 5mm similar to a 1 ct diamond.

A one carat round diamond is actually more like 6.5 mm. A 5mm round (brilliant) diamond is 1/2 carat. Or maybe that's what you meant to say?

Sapphire is actually denser than diamond, and will face up smaller than a similar weight diamond. A 1 carat sapphire round can measure even less than 6mm.

But for sure, mm. measurements are a much more important consideration for colored stones than carat weight!

I don't know anything about this company, but I like their visual size comparison chart. Of course, its relevance also depends on the size of the model's hand! :D https://www.brilliance.com/education/diamond-size-chart

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I noted they tend to be very different in size! I definitely want 7mm+ - so it may mean more $$ :cry: I feel so strongly about the size - I just feel like dainty stones make my hands look huge

thanks for sharing her info...

Hmm...if you're looking into 7mm+, due to sapphire's density, you might have to look into the 2ct+ range unless you're okay with a pretty big window. As reference, both of my sapphires are just over 7mm+ despite between 2.03 and 2.21ct respectively.

I'd normally recommend going the wholesale route, but my understanding is that Sri Lankan sellers aren't really shipping overseas right now due to the country being shut down, so you might have to wait until summer to see a sapphire.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...if you're looking into 7mm+, due to sapphire's density, you might have to look into the 2ct+ range unless you're okay with a pretty big window. As reference, both of my sapphires are just over 7mm+ despite between 2.03 and 2.21ct respectively.

I'd normally recommend going the wholesale route, but my understanding is that Sri Lankan sellers aren't really shipping overseas right now due to the country being shut down, so you might have to wait until summer to see a sapphire.

That is super helpful to know - I feel all over the place as for color - but size and richness of the color is important to me. I have seen Ceylon and Montana sapphires that I like - either in the rich beautiful blue or blue / green direction, I love aspects of both - but mid tone, not super light or really dark. I think I do need the 2ct+ range...my budget is going to be maxed out at $3.3k.

Some of the really glowy beautiful blue sapphires I have seen you post on other threads are also lovely. Including your own!!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.16.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.16.59 PM.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 31

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
That is super helpful to know - I feel all over the place as for color - but size and richness of the color is important to me. I have seen Ceylon and Montana sapphires that I like - either in the rich beautiful blue or blue / green direction, I love aspects of both - but mid tone, not super light or really dark. I think I do need the 2ct+ range...my budget is going to be maxed out at $3.3k.

Some of the really glowy beautiful blue sapphires I have seen you post on other threads are also lovely. Including your own!!!!

I'm not sure about green-blue sapphires, but from my experience, I'd say that medium tone, highly saturated, and unheated sapphires command a pretty hefty pricetag. USD3.3K might be feasible, but you might have to buy from a wholesaler.

Just for reference, what do you think of this 2.5ct sapphire?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure about green-blue sapphires, but from my experience, I'd say that medium tone, highly saturated, and unheated sapphires command a pretty hefty pricetag. USD3.3K might be feasible, but you might have to buy from a wholesaler.

Just for reference, what do you think of this 2.5ct sapphire?

For a vivid blue like that - i will bend and get heated for SURE - i have no doubt that they command a premium unheated...that sapphire is soooo pretty! ideal color

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
For a vivid blue like that - i will bend and get heated for SURE - i have no doubt that they command a premium unheated...that sapphire is soooo pretty! ideal color

Probably at least USD4000 if I had to guess. I think the sapphire is now with a gem seller in China now, not with the wholesale seller, so the price has probs jumped up.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Probably at least USD4000 if I had to guess. I think the sapphire is now with a gem seller in China now, not with the wholesale seller, so the price has probs jumped up.

Have you worked with Higems or know any one that has?

He has one sapphire that could fit the bill, feels a little scary ordering internationally but I will see what the video is like, as he is sending me more photos / videos tomorrow and will check on other stock....it looks lovely....and is unheated, nice size, 8mm x 5.7mm x 5mm

IMG-1509.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

He has one sapphire that could fit the bill, feels a little scary ordering internationally but I will see what the video is like, as he is sending me more photos / videos tomorrow and will check on other stock....it looks lovely....and is unheated, nice size, 8mm x 5.7mm x 5mm

IMG-1509.jpg

I’ve not had the pleasure of dealing with that vendor- but others have mentioned them here before. Hopefully they chime in.
I’ll make a guess - that the outlined areas
5C3D0BA4-2B8B-41A9-9191-9262CDC1C05D.jpeg
Will be more defined and contrasting darker to the other areas, in less direct lighting that is used for this picture.
Whether that’s a negative to you, or something you are accepting of - is a ‘people vary’ kinda thing.
But I did realize that it was something I needed to see in person to understand and decide my taste on.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG-1509.jpg

I have! Bought my "jedi" spinel from them and am thrilled. The color was spot on to the photos, and I got more videos, different lighting pics, etc before I purchased. From that one transaction I would definitely recommend them.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ve not had the pleasure of dealing with that vendor- but others have mentioned them here before. Hopefully they chime in.
I’ll make a guess - that the outlined areas
5C3D0BA4-2B8B-41A9-9191-9262CDC1C05D.jpeg
Will be more defined and contrasting darker to the other areas, in less direct lighting that is used for this picture.
Whether that’s a negative to you, or something you are accepting of - is a ‘people vary’ kinda thing.
But I did realize that it was something I needed to see in person to understand and decide my taste on.

Ahh yes I see what you mean - I wonder if a video will be telling. I am also curious as to other sapphires they have in stock...they carry only royal blue / cornflower blue.

Would a stone like this have any of the "silk" or is it too hard to tell from one photo?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have! Bought my "jedi" spinel from them and am thrilled. The color was spot on to the photos, and I got more videos, different lighting pics, etc before I purchased. From that one transaction I would definitely recommend them.

That is a relief to hear! I just looked at your spinel - WOWZA!

Their prices are incredibly reasonable...and my fiance is pleased that the stones are unheated....they also offer returns, but no clue what a nightmare that would or wouldn't be if I am not in love...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a relief to hear! I just looked at your spinel - WOWZA!

Their prices are incredibly reasonable...and my fiance is pleased that the stones are unheated....they also offer returns, but no clue what a nightmare that would or wouldn't be if I am not in love...

Yeah. Vendor and I agreed that if I wanted to get the stone certified by gia or any lab that he would refund me if it came back as anything other than natural spinel. But to be honest I loved it so much I just had it set and never certified it. Also the inclusion pattern makes me pretty confident that it is legit. Obviously probably would have been smarter to wait and have him certify it, but I was impatient and loved the stone too much to wait :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
WOWZA - @Lilith112 that first gem you showed - is available - and might be in reach!!! :eek2:

He sent a video but can't upload....the last 3 photos are screenshots from videos....have you worked with them??

47B5A3B7-5B00-4220-A308-AEDB03752294.JPG
F1D553EE-7E0B-4663-A800-F70AA79DE0A2.JPG

IMG-1517.jpg

IMG-1520.jpg

IMG-1518.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no source of info for you on this vendor/stone
But my fingers are crossed for you that you can make it happen. Would love to see you get this and hear what you think IRL.
Only real advice I can give is for you to do your due diligence on what to expect from customs from Sri Lanka to where ever you are. And possibly vice versa.
I could find no easy way to ship a stone back to Sri Lanka from USA that didn’t involve filling out paperwork fraudulently, as was advised to do by that vendor.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m no source of info for you on this vendor/stone
But my fingers are crossed for you that you can make it happen. Would love to see you get this and hear what you think IRL.
Only real advice I can give is for you to do your due diligence on what to expect from customs from Sri Lanka to where ever you are. And possibly vice versa.
I could find no easy way to ship a stone back to Sri Lanka from USA that didn’t involve filling out paperwork fraudulently, as was advised to do by that vendor.

Thank you so much for your words - that situation you described sounds like a nightmare. If there are any particular experiences dealing with Sri Lankan vendors that I can read up on...I have never made a purchase abroad so am clueless about customs...I am all ears!

This vendor seems to have a US based retailer who might be able to liaise which would be ideal, I will ask that in the event it doesn't meet expectations, I could return it to the retailer. He is reaching out to the vendor tomorrow.

He won't sell me the stone until it is certified, so it is stuck in limbo which isn't the worst thing - gives me time to save money. What I do know is, when I look at it in videos - my heart goes pitter patter! It definitely stands out above the others I have seen!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your words - that situation you described sounds like a nightmare. If there are any particular experiences dealing with Sri Lankan vendors that I can read up on...I have never made a purchase abroad so am clueless about customs...I am all ears!

This vendor seems to have a US based retailer who might be able to liaise which would be ideal, I will ask that in the event it doesn't meet expectations, I could return it to the retailer. He is reaching out to the vendor tomorrow.

He won't sell me the stone until it is certified, so it is stuck in limbo which isn't the worst thing - gives me time to save money. What I do know is, when I look at it in videos - my heart goes pitter patter! It definitely stands out above the others I have seen!

Is the stone in questions from HiGems? I LOVE IT!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Is the stone in questions from HiGems? I LOVE IT!

Me too!!!! It’s a totally different stone from @gemoceanltd - I reached out on a whim and low and behold it’s available

I can’t stop looking at photos of it!!!! It’s the stone in the video Lilith112 shared above as an example...it seems to have the perfect mix of glow / sparkle, from my layperson eyes seems to have a great color and cut...but something might be evading my unscrupulous eyes!

The vendor was very nice to deal with - based in Sri Lanka. Once it’s certified untreated / unheated - and fingers crossed the US retailer this vendor works with is open to being intermediary - I think this is the one...

I will hopefully find out more tomorrow! I’m so excited. It’ll be hard to wait for it to be sent to a lab, who knows how long that will take as the whole country is on lock down but this strikes me as well worth the wait.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
WOWZA - @Lilith112 that first gem you showed - is available - and might be in reach!!! :eek2:

He sent a video but can't upload....the last 3 photos are screenshots from videos....have you worked with them??

Yes, I bought my pad from him. I enjoyed working with him a lot, and found his pictures to be very accurate.

Have you worked out a return policy.if something pops up? Also, you should double check and ask him about specific types of inclusions e.g. Feather, silk, chip, etc.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I bought my pad from him. I enjoyed working with him a lot, and found his pictures to be very accurate.

Have you worked out a return policy.if something pops up? Also, you should double check and ask him about specific types of inclusions e.g. Feather, silk, chip, etc.

Yes I will ask about returns and anything else with the stone tmrw - good idea. Thanks for the advice - good to know you had no issues - would love to see your pad!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe also ask which lab he is sending it too? Some of the srilankan ones are quite good, like gemalogical institute of colombo and emteem but others I would feel less comfortable with.

Congrats on finding something you love =)2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results