shape
carat
color
clarity

Rich blue Montana sapphire - thoughts? Tips? Newbie to colored stones!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Montanas are very trendy right now! You could also look at mountainmommagems on Instagram. She deals exclusively with Montana sapphires. I have never dealt with her before but she does appear to have a large inventory.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone is a big purchase for me, and so honestly - it sounds like you would you recommend steering clear from this vendor? Not trying to be dense. To my layperson eyes, it looks like a great sapphire, which is why I asked on Pricescope to make an informed purchase!

This is also the first time I’ve purchased a gem online. I know a return might happen but I’d like to avoid it if I can. This person charges a $100 restocking fee which seems like a hefty penalty for not liking a stone. I liked this stone a lot but don’t want to get duped.

Sorry to burst your bubble and contribute to the overwhelm. I have been in your shoes and made mistakes. Everything that looks too good to be true is. I have seen nearly identical big, royal blue, unheated Burmese cab sapphires on IG recently. One was $70K -- miles out of my league. The other was $7K and I knew it would look nothing like the photos.

I'm not sure when I will buy online again, although there is one gem vendor and one antique jewelry dealer from whom I would buy from again. This realization has saved me some money.

Re-stocking fee means "I'm tired of all the returns I get." I would never buy from anyone who had a re-stocking fee. Asking me to pay for return postage? Sure. Asking me to pay for their misrepresentation? Nah.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to burst your bubble and contribute to the overwhelm. I have been in your shoes and made mistakes. Everything that looks too good to be true is. I have seen nearly identical big, royal blue, unheated Burmese cab sapphires on IG recently. One was $70K -- miles out of my league. The other was $7K and I knew it would look nothing like the photos.

I'm not sure when I will buy online again, although there is one gem vendor and one antique jewelry dealer from whom I would buy from again. This realization has saved me some money.

Re-stocking fee means "I'm tired of all the returns I get." I would never buy from anyone who had a re-stocking fee. Asking me to pay for return postage? Sure. Asking me to pay for their misrepresentation? Nah.

You know what would burst my bubble? Spending what I consider a decent chunk of change on a stone...and when it arrives, tearing open the package with glee only to reveal a dull, faded denim blue stone...and then having to figure out how to print out a return slip and get it to the post office during a pandemic, and adding insult to injury...paying a $100 penalty for being tremendously disappointed.

I'd much rather hear feedback on a forum before I've made a purchase - seems much less low stakes to me! LOL. I appreciate the candor from everyone. I am still relegated to an online purchase, but not from this vendor, at least not until I know more of what I am looking for and have more experience under my belt. May I ask, who is the gem dealer you are referring to?

The restocking fee is a huge turn off for me and pushed me over the edge into "no, this won't do", honestly. I am realizing after all of this that I may save up for a slightly nicer stone, because I am not really finding what I am looking for in my budget and I don't want to get something I am not enamored with...

This was one I was also looking at - it is a very rich, deep color and darker than I expected to like - but I love how unusual it is, and the cut. Need to ask for a video.

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p338/2.09_ct_Blue_Green_Sapphire.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.59.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.59.36 PM.png
    292 KB · Views: 35

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was one I was also looking at - it is a very rich, deep color and darker than I expected to like - but I love how unusual it is, and the cut. Need to ask for a video.

That's a pretty stone and he does a nice job. I have a very included pastel-blue unheated Ceylon from him (in this size range) with a nice Portuguese-cut pavilion that mostly hides all the junk in it. Price on your seems OK. It's undersaturated and on the green end of things but I bet it's still pretty in daylight, Precision-cut really helps the appearance and I love that shape. I made a nice bezel-set with a similar pastel precision-cut geometric-looking sapphire and that helped darken it -- turned out to be a really nice ring for a family member.

He has a short return window, if memory serves, so check the weather report and make sure cloudy days are in the forecast :)

Not sure why I'm doing all the talking here -- others have a lot more experience buying sapphires online...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So - I am really close to pulling the trigger on the stone from Finewater.

I got images in other lighting - it is DARK - but has a wonderful, velvety color. I love distribution of green, and violet....I really, really like it. It is rich, mysterious and kind of strange.. I have one major concern.

Gary recommends a prong setting, not bezel. I planned on a bezel setting, like the Annie setting from CVB. Would the sides being cut out prevent this stone from losing its color, and going black? I feel so torn.

I don't know prongs styles very well - I hate claw prongs, and prongs that snag on things. Are there thick prongs, flat edged that aren't snaggy that would also let light into this stone?

The photos are a mix of outdoor and indoor lighting conditions...

Definitely need help :???:

0927Outdoors.jpg 0927Indoors3.jpg 0927Indoors2.jpg
0927Indoors1.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely an outdoor daylight stone, imo. Bezel will make it dark. From the dimensions (it's pretty shallow), I initially thought bezel would be perfect but I suspect seller is correct that it would need a little more "air" to show it off.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think you are right. It is too dark. I want to love it. I love the cut, the size - everything else.

Does anyone want to go shopping for me? LOL

I upped the budget...$1.5. If it is a smidge over...it's not out of question.

This is HARD because I feel like I don't know what I am looking at. First world problems...

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe look at this? Paler and color-zoned and heated -- the 2.06-ct one -- very pretty, imo.

This vendor has honest comments and photos, in my experience (n = 1).

He has nice stuff. I confess I forget what your original criteria were...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So - I am really close to pulling the trigger on the stone from Finewater.

I got images in other lighting - it is DARK - but has a wonderful, velvety color. I love distribution of green, and violet....I really, really like it. It is rich, mysterious and kind of strange.. I have one major concern.

Gary recommends a prong setting, not bezel. I planned on a bezel setting, like the Annie setting from CVB. Would the sides being cut out prevent this stone from losing its color, and going black? I feel so torn.

I don't know prongs styles very well - I hate claw prongs, and prongs that snag on things. Are there thick prongs, flat edged that aren't snaggy that would also let light into this stone?

The photos are a mix of outdoor and indoor lighting conditions...

Definitely need help :???:

0927Outdoors.jpg 0927Indoors3.jpg 0927Indoors2.jpg
0927Indoors1.jpg

I have a dark spinel from finewater that I still love. He’s great to deal with. But I understand the dark hesitation.

Since you are thinking about CVB’s Annie for the setting, have you reached out to her with your stone requirements to see if she has anything that might fit the bill? Sometimes she runs specials with discounts if stone and setting are bought together- doesn’t hurt to ask.
Pick something a bit lighter than your ideal and realize her CA natural light might be more favorable than where you reside ( sigh - the midwest USA grey skies).

@Queenie60 do you happen to have pictures of your gorgeous teal sapphire before setting, to compare to your avitar in CVB’s zephyr, so OP can see?

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'd normally be open to sourcing a stone directly from Caysie, but I can't afford both a stone + setting right now...so was thinking I should focus on a stone. I'd rather let the stone dictate the setting style I end up with, as opposed to the other way around, if that makes sense. I thought that the Annie would look awesome with that particular stone from Finewater, which I see now is too dark.

I have been a bit all over the place, so no surprise my criteria has been as clear as mud. I am looking for:

$1.5k give or take
7mm + (ideally)
Cushion, oval, or round
Teal, blue/green, would make an exception for a really killer blue stone, but really don't like lots of violet
Don't like lots of color shift
Mid-tone - as rich / saturated as I can afford!
Don't mind some inclusions
Don't care if its heated

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Maybe look at this? Paler and color-zoned and heated -- the 2.06-ct one -- very pretty, imo.

Hmm - it is nice, I don't mind some zoning - but this one is a little "watery" looking for me...if the secondary color in the zoning was anything other than white.... there's a cool teal cushion, but it is too small for sure (less than 6mm)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to chime in & plug Aussie parti-sapphires a bit more as I think they are often good value and tend to have less grey modifier.

Coolamon Sapphires - worst website ever but they have AMAZING stock which I've been lucky enough to handle personally at a local gem show. Call or email them and tell them what you want.

A few other options: Doug from Bespoke Gems has some beauties and can also cut to order. Also try Jamie from https://firstclassfacets.com/ or Langford Gems or Pebble Sprout Gems.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to chime in & plug Aussie parti-sapphires a bit more as I think they are often good value and tend to have less grey modifier.

Coolamon Sapphires - worst website ever but they have AMAZING stock which I've been lucky enough to handle personally at a local gem show. Call or email them and tell them what you want.

A few other options: Doug from Bespoke Gems has some beauties and can also cut to order. Also try Jamie from https://firstclassfacets.com/ or Langford Gems or Pebble Sprout Gems.

WOW - these are great. Hadn't heard of any of them. Reached out to First Class Facets, their gems made me GIDDY - I love almost everything on their site... looks like Pebble Sprout isn't taking orders internationally...I'm in the USA

Going to look into all of these. :kiss2: THANK YOU

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just going to point out that restocking fee does not necessarily equal "I'm tired of people being unhappy with the way that I've represented my product". It could mean that. It could also be as simple as "I'm tired of losing money on buyers' remorse through no fault of my own". I don't mind a restocking fee when a vendor is responsive and is willing to answer my questions and provide more info/photos prior to sale.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just going to point out that restocking fee does not necessarily equal "I'm tired of people being unhappy with the way that I've represented my product". It could mean that. It could also be as simple as "I'm tired of losing money on buyers' remorse through no fault of my own". I don't mind a restocking fee when a vendor is responsive and is willing to answer my questions and provide more info/photos prior to sale.

Completely fair and I appreciate the input! I think for me I wasn't working under the assumption that this vendor has loads of returns - he seems to move a ton of stock, and fast, and was perfectly responsive - should clarify, it was turn off because I am a first-time online gemstone buyer and don't feel confident in my own judgment. I'd also ideally not return something to begin with...but it's hard to say for sure and don't want to penalize myself for lack of experience and feel I may set myself up for it if a choose a vendor with a harsher return policy when there seem to be plenty of vendors with nice stones that may be a better fit as a first time buyer and feel safer than an IG vendor, with no website, one I can't leave a review for, and was worried I'd really have no recourse if something went wrong. Also steering clear of pre-loved jewelry and eBay. I'd potentially revisit this vendor in particular once I have more experience under my belt, but that may be a few stone purchases from now or something much less expensive / precious to me.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Completely understand all your thoughts :)) Just wanted to address that one topic since another poster made some rather unilateral presumptions. Good luck with your search - please share what you end up choosing!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

funnily - although I was initially not as drawn to it I kept coming back to this one. I know I have to concede somewhere - and I find the size and cut appealing. The vendor sent some videos. The white streak reminds me of a horizon - where the water meets the sky.

2.06 Bicolor Indoors
- taken in various lighting conditions indoors to show how the stone's behavior changes. All indirect sunlight (i.e. shade) with no artificial lighting on.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

2.06 Bicolor Outdoors
- taken outdoors in the garden, but at all times either in shade of the patio or the trees around.

1) https://youtu.be/D_O147HXwNM
2) https://youtu.be/RTJVbTWdZUA
3) https://youtu.be/aMaRPpQ4CHQ
4) https://youtu.be/VxvMblqpknY

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
funnily - although I was initially not as drawn to it I kept coming back to this one. I know I have to concede somewhere - and I find the size and cut appealing. The vendor sent some videos. The white streak reminds me of a horizon - where the water meets the sky.

2.06 Bicolor Indoors
- taken in various lighting conditions indoors to show how the stone's behavior changes. All indirect sunlight (i.e. shade) with no artificial lighting on.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

2.06 Bicolor Outdoors
- taken outdoors in the garden, but at all times either in shade of the patio or the trees around.

1) https://youtu.be/D_O147HXwNM
2) https://youtu.be/RTJVbTWdZUA
3) https://youtu.be/aMaRPpQ4CHQ
4) https://youtu.be/VxvMblqpknY

I see the attraction to this stone. I think that is a minority opinion here on PS.
I’d only recommend it if you are sure it’s quirky unconventional beauty appeals to you for what it is. Not what it’s a possible placeholder /substitute for.

plus- I’d remember if my geographical location for natural light doesn’t resemble his, to take that into consideration.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I see the attraction to this stone. I think that is a minority opinion here on PS.
I’d only recommend it if you are sure it’s quirky unconventional beauty appeals to you for what it is. Not what it’s a possible placeholder /substitute for.

plus- I’d remember if my geographical location for natural light doesn’t resemble his, to take that into consideration.

Didn't even think about regional differences with sunlight - boy there's so many variables! Makes complete sense.

And you are right - I need to mull over it. I have a feeling that I am going to be very slow to make a decision, honestly. I'm weighing saving even more to get the size I am after and not making too many concessions as I feel I might be. This is a funky stone - I just can't tell if it is the one I am after. I am usually no so horribly indecisive.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

These are good points.

It is quirky. Hard to tell how much it will look funky vs cheap, but it's well-cut and generally pretty so I'm leaning to the pretty. The price is attractive; it's not anyone's "dream" sapphire. His words have helped me as much as the pictures.

Latitude does matter -- but I think of that more when buying rubies and pads and maybe Kashmirs (which I do not do) and there is no way to get that right-overhead pure sun except near the equator. Think of when you are holding your hand out right in front of your face and the gem is face-up. The only way most of us will see that is if we tip the stone 45 degrees and stand with our back to the sun (= latitude 40 - 45 degrees). This stone will look best in diffused daylight, imo.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Good points. If the stone wasn't international - I honestly would feel less hesitant. Do think I like it though...wondering if a bezel would bring out the color in any way.

Interesting RE latitude - my hope is to move to Arizona from the awful, gray Midwest in the next 2 years...maybe better for my jewelry :confused: - although there is NOTHING diffused about the sunlight in Phoenix...

I have a question for everyone - I am seeing a price difference of $1.3k between two stones that are so similar in size and seemingly color, region, etc. - can anyone explain the difference for me? I see the cut is slightly different...

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1319
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p346/2.06_ct_Unheated_Blue_Sapphire.html

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a question for everyone - I am seeing a price difference of $1k between two stones that are so similar in size and seemingly color, region, etc. - can anyone explain the difference for me? I see the cut is slightly different...

The age-old question!

Gary's (second one) is more violet and, imo, a more attractive color but not by a lot -- and it may even have more gray. Maybe a little closer to a precision-cut and, by the description, less included but likely not noticeably so.

Both look nice to me and would seem like fair purchases. I don't know how fairly represented the color is in the GemFix one. A bit of difference in tone or saturation could make one the clear winner IRL. Look at them side-by-side?

I think either would be fine in Phoenix -- since you'll mostly be indoors :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Good points. If the stone wasn't international - I honestly would feel less hesitant. Do think I like it though...wondering if a bezel would bring out the color in any way.

Interesting RE latitude - my hope is to move to Arizona from the awful, gray Midwest in the next 2 years...maybe better for my jewelry :confused: - although there is NOTHING diffused about the sunlight in Phoenix...

I have a question for everyone - I am seeing a price difference of $1.3k between two stones that are so similar in size and seemingly color, region, etc. - can anyone explain the difference for me? I see the cut is slightly different...

It is a bit arbitrary in all honesty.
It comes down to fine variances of cut qualities/color/clarity.
In the end it depends on if it's worth paying for perceived perfection, either by agreed metric, or your own eye.
Most are inifinitesimal differences to the non connoisseur.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My monitor shows Finewater’s handshot to be more of a medium and gemfix is stated to be light medium.
Personal experience with both companies and their photography was pretty darn accurate.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The age-old question!

Gary's (second one) is more violet and, imo, a more attractive color but not by a lot -- and it may even have more gray. Maybe a little closer to a precision-cut and, by the description, less included but likely not noticeably so.

Both look nice to me and would seem like fair purchases. I don't know how fairly represented the color is in the GemFix one. A bit of difference in tone or saturation could make one the clear winner IRL. Look at them side-by-side?

I think either would be fine in Phoenix -- since you'll mostly be indoors :)

LOL - my hope is I will be OUTDOORS for more of the year as I practically hibernate all winter in Illinois!!! Naturally in Phoenix, I hope to be lounging in temperature controlled swimming pools in the early summer mornings when it is upwards of 115 but yes - indoors mostly then! :lol:

And fascinating that those small differences make that big of a price difference! Gary's stone definitely grabs me more - but wasn't sure if that is because of better photography...not sure if I can swing buying both and comparing, honestly. I know a lot of PSers do that but boy that feels suuuper scary to me and I think my fiance would have a heart attack

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Post #1022-1025, MainSequence does a pretty thorough write up on 4 blue sapphires with her various lighting and vendor shots. You can see how the vendor shots are accurate, but you also see they shift and behave differently in various lighting environments.
You have to accept this.
Or find the proverbial needle in the haystack. They exist, but aren’t common. I’d imagine they are priced appropriately as well.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Post #1022-1025, MainSequence does a pretty thorough write up on 4 blue sapphires with her various lighting and vendor shots. You can see how the vendor shots are accurate, but you also see they shift and behave differently in various lighting environments.
You have to accept this.
Or find the proverbial needle in the haystack. They exist, but aren’t common. I’d imagine they are priced appropriately as well.

Super super helpful post. Thanks for sharing. I liked aspects of all 4!!! The whole thread is amazing

Definitely understand that lighting impacts color / performance hugely. It seems like it is a matter of choosing what you light you live in most and you really only can tell in person!

voce

Ideal_Rock

The Gemfix stone looks sleepier, and looks to have slight inclusions on the bottom left, while Gary's sapphire had superb clarity, he rates it IF. I'd expect Gary's stone to be sparklier in the light.

deco1

Rough_Rock
I've bought from this seller after seeing him recommended here.

Higems

The caveat is that he's not in the U.S., but his photos are the most representative I've seen anywhere online (I've bought from many on the recommended vendor list). Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Best of luck in your search.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy. I do a lot of photography. Every image you see is manipulated. As I've tried to explain on many threads, cell phone photos are among the worst offenders -- they automatically boost saturation, contrast, you name it. It makes your pictures look "good" to your eye. ("This camera is great!") Super-blue sky in those landscapes = super-blue sapphires. Plus, many web sites automatically do you the same "favor" when photos are uploaded (Facebook, for one). Along those lines, every IG gem account is just videos of the world's most saturated royal blue sapphires. Please. Also, even then, they are mostly shot outdoors on a cloudy day with nice, cool, even overhead light -- which, imo, is the most flattering light for blue sapphires. I live in that light so that's fine by me, but most of the world does not.

I started a post a few weeks ago of all the ways I can make a gem look better (before and after) but then thought better of it. It's incredibly easy to make a gem look stellar; it's really hard to make your photos actually match the real appearance of the gem.

I shoot in RAW, which is a highly modifiable format that is designed to capture and preserve as much information as possible (think 30 Mb instead of 3 Mb). That leaves the most "headroom" for adjusting the exposure and pulling details selectively out of shadows and suppressing the burned-out highlights, etc. But the unedited pictures are bland, flat, and lifeless because they are actually less contrasty and less saturated than real life. So every single photo shot by a pro or by a decent amateur requires careful editing. With a good RAW file, you can make anything look like anything.

Have you seen senior portraits lately? Every kid is face-tuned into a model. It's kinda like that.

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I think a post on CS photography would be extremely valuable either as part of the new buyer's thread or another pinned post. I'd also love a primer on modifiers. I just don't see things in some of the photos but I know screen and medium matter. I just dont always know why.

@annagene12 Take an look (it's a rabbit hole but a worthwhile one) on the vendor vs PS photos post. It has been the most instructive post for buying CS for me at least. Yvonne's stones tend to be as represented if not better. Precision Gems appear to be very close, but I don't own one so can't say with 100% certainty. I also have a few purchases from Brad at Gen Trader and thus far the color has been exactly spot on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results