shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset ering or get eternity band instead? I''m finally going forward!

Get eternity band to wear with current solitaire, or reset ering with sidestones?

• Round with half moons and pave shank, similar to this - get eternity later

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Micropave set like this, no shared-prong eternity

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl - I think that any of the settings listed are gorgeous -- but I wouldn''t reset your ring right now, I would get an eternity band. I think if you are still debating options, I would not reset it just yet. Get a beautiful band and only reset your diamond when you are sure of your preference - don''t rush yourself!
1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
well...I have the shared prong eternity and I love it. if you are unsure what setting to get now, get the eternity now. I do love the BLINGIEST setting you posted..that''s right up my alley. I love the way this kind of bling and the eternity look together.

This is a hard decision...I''m no help here. Sorry

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I like them all but my favorite are option 3 and 4
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I really like the look of the solitaire with an eternity band. I think a solitaire makes the diamond pop.

I have a three stone setting (it''s my temp. setting until I can figure out what I want in life) and I have a solitaire and the diamond seems to really "pop" in a solitaire!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 8:32:14 AM
Author: butterfly 17
I really like the look of the solitaire with an eternity band. I think a solitaire makes the diamond pop.

Ditto - I love the look of your set but I understand that you want a change it. I love my split shank but I'm hankering after a solitaire
20.gif

If I had to choose, I'd go with a reset with tapered baguettes - tthat way your centre stone will still be the focus of attention

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because you don't have a single MUST HAVE final setting for your e-ring picked out yet ... I vote for the shared prong eternity (or semi-eternity) band. ESPECIALLY because you have such a nice RHR plan for your existing wedding band/pink pave bands. I think those two looks (new wedding set & RHR set) will work well together & have a nice combo of BLING + subtle pave sparkle + stepcuts + bit of mixed metal. Its like a cornucopia of goodness, yet all flow together.

Among your other choices -- talk to Mrs Salvo about a full-on pave wedding set. It did not work for her & with how hands-on you are as a mom ... I think you wouldn't get as much enjoyment/wear out of THAT version of them as you do now with a simple solitaire.

The side baguettes ... my sister chose a similar setting and loves it. Its not what I'd pick for myself -- very, very, very classic. Verging toward snoooozzzzzzeeevile.
31.gif
11.gif

Side step cut or brilliant half-moons -- proportion is KEY. So many ways it can go wrong. Would not trust anyone but Leon probably ... to source & get the proportions perfect. Seems like that would run into the 4-5K range for high enough color stones + the custom setting. Keep this in your back pocket & ponder further ... LOL!

ETA: One other point -- I do NOT think that the Baguette HW style setting would ever look "right" with a shared prong eternity band of RBs (just my opinion)... and have my doubts about a Half-Moon three stone setting working with the shared prong band EITHER (especially if it has a pave band)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, you guys are no help - the first three poll choices are basically all split evenly
emwink.gif

Seriously, though, it''s tough to decide - just when I had thought that I was for sure going to go with the tapered baguettes, I showed my husband the pics, and he likes the half-moon sidestones the best ...

A few weeks ago I went to a jewelry store that had Martin Flyer and I tried on both his tapered baguette setting and a setting with halfmoon sidestones, and I loved both looks, but couldn''t decide ... I did like the look of a 2.5 mm shared-prong band with both, though, so that may be the best choice for now - something to bling up my solitaire, that I will still like when I get my sidestones, and it''s within my budget.

Maybe I will try to get a quote from Leon, and see what he says. If it''s going to be above $3500, I may have to wait on the reset. I''m afraid if I go with another designer and don''t like it as much, I will regret it ...

Maybe I need to take a trip to Tiny Jewel Box in DC this week and try on some designs again. I will let you guys know what I decide ...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
What different looks each has...I think I like the leon look best... but those tapered baggettes are yummy. Sorry I am ZERO help.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vespergirl, I had a similar dilemma recently so I thought I''d chime in... I''d been contemplating adding pear sapphire sidestones to my ering (or maybe pear diamonds - don''t know). I got some quotes, looked at hundreds of posts and photos, and then just couldn''t make the decision. But I knew I wanted some more "oomph" and always wished my eternity band was more substanstial. When I saw the new uternity band at WF (thanks to Annette!), I knew that was it. It will go with whatever I decide to do with my ering if and when I ever decide to change it. And it looks beautiful all by itself. So that''s what I did! Best of luck - can''t wait to see what you decide to do!

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the eternity band.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
eternity!!!

You''ve not had your RB solitaire long since you switched from your amazing asscher and if it were me, I''d keep my solitaire a little bit longer and go with an eternity then eventually add half moons to make an amazing 3 stone and you''ll have superbling!!

well.......that''s what I''d do.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 2:29:40 PM
Author: Po10472
eternity!!!

You''ve not had your RB solitaire long since you switched from your amazing asscher and if it were me, I''d keep my solitaire a little bit longer and go with an eternity then eventually add half moons to make an amazing 3 stone and you''ll have superbling!!

well.......that''s what I''d do.
This is a good point - the reason that I feel like I should keep the solitaire setting a little longer is because it was so expensive (it''s Veraggio), I''ve only worn it for 3 years, and if I switch out settings then it will just be sitting empty in my jewelry box. I''m thinking that maybe I can wear it for 2 more years, and then get the fancy Leon setting for our 5th anniversary ...

I need to get a quote from Leon, because once I know what the costs are of doing a 3-stone with him, that may make up my mind ...

RLG

Shiny_Rock
I dont know if this will help or not because it was from last year, but my three stone from leon (no pave) was around $2600. It has two traps he sourced, which I realize are not what you were looking for but maybe could give you an idea until you hear from him. For the record I love the tapered baguettes.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 3:16:37 PM
Author: RLG
I dont know if this will help or not because it was from last year, but my three stone from leon (no pave) was around $2600. It has two traps he sourced, which I realize are not what you were looking for but maybe could give you an idea until you hear from him. For the record I love the tapered baguettes.
Thank you, that is very helpful! I just looked up your ring, and it''s GORGEOUS. The price that you paid for a 3-stone is within my range, so that gives me some hope ;-)

I''m going to Tiny Jewel Box in DC this week to try on a bunch of styles, so hopefully I will have my mind made up before I go to Leon for a quote. If I can get him to reset my stone for around $3K, then the reset would still be in the running ...

BTW, I love your avatar! What a cutie!

RLG

Shiny_Rock
I am so glad I could help.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the tapered baguette, I just Love that look! very classic, and beautiful! doesn''t take away from your rockin'' stone! but adds such a nice presence.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ering reset. Then later figure out another wedding band. Especially since one of your options includes a totally different wedding band. That alone shows you aren''t completely convinced of the shared prong eternity.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper - My vote would be to do neither until you''ve figured out what you want for the whole set, then I''d do the e-ring first and follow-up with the wedding band at a later date. The reason is because you are looking at some very different styles. You have said the eternity band would go with everything, and while it might go with a lot of things, it won''t look right with everything. Suppose you decide you like the micropave look best for your e-ring? I''m not sure how that would look with an eternity band. You are talking about a good bit of money here, and I''d hate for you to buy a wedding band that then doesn''t go with the e-ring you choose in a couple of years (especially since you already have a lovely set of RHRs!). Why not take a few weeks/months to decide what you really like the best before committing? I know you are from the same area I am from and there are so many amazing stores there I think you could find jsut about every style out there to try on!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vesper - first, yay! how exciting!

second, i loveloveloeve the tapered baguettes so that got my vote. love it.

third, let me ask you this: is the eternity band the most important to you and you would rather choose/style the setting around it? or is the setting more important and you would rather choose a band around that?

if the setting is the most important, and you ultimately want your ''perfect'' setting, i agree with steph in that you should do that first because you never know what band will ultimately pair best with it. if you end up resetting after buying an eternity band, and the eternity you chose doesn''t work as well with the new setting (as evidenced by steph''s search) wouldn''t that put a damper on both pieces?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 6:06:03 AM
Author: babysteps
Vespergirl - I think that any of the settings listed are gorgeous -- but I wouldn''t reset your ring right now, I would get an eternity band. I think if you are still debating options, I would not reset it just yet. Get a beautiful band and only reset your diamond when you are sure of your preference - don''t rush yourself!
1.gif

I agree with Vesper... but it''s a very personal decision..

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock

Hi guys, I went and tried on some rings today, and I was surprised by what I ended up liking best. I went to Boone & Sons & Tiny Jewel Box in DC.

I tried on a bunch of tapered baguette settings, but wasn''t really in love. The ones that were in my price range were much smaller than I wanted, and didn''t really add a lot of extra "oomph" to my stone.

I did try on one ring with "bullet" sidestones that I liked, so that''s a possibility.

The star of the day, however, was a ring with half-moon sidestones and a bead-cut pave shank (only halfway around). It was a Martin Flyer that I tried on before, and it was a stunner. Even though it had brilliant-cut half moons (not step-cut) I was still in love with it. The problem is, the lowest I could get the price down to was around $5k, which is twice my budget. So, I emailed Leon for a quote today, to ask about making a 3-stone with either halfmoons, bullets, traps or shields, and also to let me know what the price would be if I added some pave to the shank and basket. If it''s more expensive than my budget, I''m just going to go with the eternity band for now and wait a couple of years to reset (5 yr anniversary!)

I realized today after trying on tons of rings that my favorite look was a 3-stone with an eternity band (I loved the look of the shared prong eternity with all the 3-stones I tried) so either way, I know that I will love the eternity band if I just end up doing that.

I was really surprised that I didn''t really love the look of the super-delicate thin-shank pave rings on my hand - it was good to try them on, so that I could rule them out.

Anyway, here''s a pic of a setting similar to the one I liked today - obviously Leon''s version would be nicer, but here''s the idea:

halfmoon2.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
keep us posted - can''t wait to see what you do!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 9:11:10 PM
Author: katiedid
keep us posted - can''t wait to see what you do!
Hey there,

I think that I have made up my mind - 90% sure that I''m going to go with a shared-prong eternity band. Even though I fell in love with the idea of a reset with sidestones, since I''m not 100% sure which sidestones I want, I''m going to wait for that project. My husband said that he''ll get me whatever reset I want, but he doesn''t want me changing my mind in a year after he pays for a Leon reset
emembarrassed.gif
I got super-excited about the idea of doing a reset after I saw how affordable Leon''s quote to me was, but I better wait until I''m sure, since I''ve changed my mind so many times.

I have been dying for a shared-prong eternity for the longest time, though, so I know I will love to have one of those, and it will look great with my solitaire. One of the reasons I really wanted a reset is because my current solitiare, while beautiful, is holding the stone crooked now, and the prongs are wonky (I had upgraded to a larger stone in the same setting, so this one needs a new head for it to properly fit). I was holding off on sending in back to Veraggio, because the repair may cost $300, and I was thinking I would just put that cash towards a new setting maybe, but my DH said that he''s fine with reparing this setting & getting the shared-prong band too, so that''s what I''m going to do.

It''s funny, because when I almost decided to ditch the solitaire setting, I started feeling very attached to it, and that''s when I realized that maybe I''m destined to be a solitaire girl for at least another couple of years
emwink.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good decision! Will you send the ring directly to Verragio yourself or will you go through Mervis?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:31:17 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Sounds like a good decision! Will you send the ring directly to Verragio yourself or will you go through Mervis?
I think that I have to go through Mervis - I''m not sure if I could work with Verragio directly, even though I would probably prefer to do that. The ring needs a new head, but I also want to have him make the prongs slightly different, if possible - I prefer more of a claw prong, and right now they are more "ball" shaped, which is thicker, and not as dainty. The couple of times that I ordered custom work through Mervis, they have messed up the orders, so I would really rather work with Verragio directly ...

I will talk to them & see if they can work with me ... I will keep you guys posted!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Vesper- Ok, confession time!
41.gif
Everytime you''ve mentioned a reset, I wanted to post "please don''t!" because I think you''re solitaire is perfect already! I think getting your prongs fixed and getting a blingy shared prong eternity band is awesome and my favorite of your choices!!
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:56:10 PM
Author: february2003bride
41.gif
Everytime you''ve mentioned a reset, I wanted to post ''please don''t!'' because I think you''re solitaire is perfect already! I think getting your prongs fixed and getting a blingy shared prong eternity band is awesome and my favorite of your choices!!
36.gif
Yay, thanks for the support!
emteeth.gif
I am really happy with the decision to just add the eternity band & fix the solitaire. After seeing all the Leon solitaires on here I''ve always thought that mine is kind of blech, but it won''t be once the prongs are fixed.

It''s traditional in my group of friends to add sidestones as a "milestone" anniversary gift, like 10 years, so even though I won''t wait that long probably, I think that waiting until we''re married at least 5 years is more appropriate
emembarrassed.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:29:35 PM
Author: vespergirl

Date: 3/26/2009 4:31:17 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
I think that I have to go through Mervis - I''m not sure if I could work with Verragio directly, even though I would probably prefer to do that. The ring needs a new head, but I also want to have him make the prongs slightly different, if possible - I prefer more of a claw prong, and right now they are more ''ball'' shaped, which is thicker, and not as dainty. The couple of times that I ordered custom work through Mervis, they have messed up the orders, so I would really rather work with Verragio directly ...

I will talk to them & see if they can work with me ... I will keep you guys posted!
Maybe Verragio is a company that you can deal directly with. I have the PrecisionSet mounting that I got from Mervis and you can''t send anything directly to them - it has to go through a jeweler. However, when I got my upgrade they agreed to reset the stone in the same mounting at Mervis. At the time I was very pleased because I didn''t want to send it out for a few weeks! It looks fine but sometimes I think it probably should have gone back to PS for reset because the side stones sit just a tad too far under the new stone. Every once in awhile I think I''ll go back to Mervis and look at mountings - just to see what''s new - but somehow just don''t. The last time I was there I saw a MartinFlyer mounting I liked but it really was just another version of what I have. I decided that didn''t make alot of sense but I did like it!

I''ll be interested to see what happens with your mounting - it really is pretty!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow I love your right hand stack!

I voted tapered baguettes. I just think it''s a beautiful look. They all are though. Can''t wait to see what you pick!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:56:10 PM
Author: february2003bride
41.gif
Everytime you''ve mentioned a reset, I wanted to post ''please don''t!'' because I think you''re solitaire is perfect already! I think getting your prongs fixed and getting a blingy shared prong eternity band is awesome and my favorite of your choices!!
36.gif

Ditto! Can''t go past a solitaire for elegance (imHo)!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results