shape
carat
color
clarity

Request for kitty dust...

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss, but remember she had a great life! She was much loved and passed in peace. You're in my thoughts.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Reading this has me in tears. Sorry for your loss.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are so very sorry about your kitty. Those photos brought our own experience back in vivid detail; we both got teary.

Hugs to you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry, LM. Condolences to you and Mr LM.

Up in heaven, I am sure your baby girl Eq is looking at you, knowing that her parents loved her so very very much.

I am in tears right now...BIG MASSIVE HUGS to you both...

Rest in peace, little Eq.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
You all are so awesome. I went to work today. It was hard. This morning while I was going through my normal routine I started to open up the cabinet where we kept all of her meds, then realized I didn't need to get them ready :(sad

And I believe she is watching over me, just like my grandmother. I don't know how many of you believe in the afterlife and spirits, etc. but my grandmother comes to me in my dreams sometimes, and EQ did the same thing last night. I also swear that I heard her jump off the bed yesterday. Maybe I'm grasping at straws...I don't know. But, these things make me feel better.

I keep waiting for it to get better. The pain is so raw and I'm so numb. Thank you all for allowing me to come here and talk about this.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
LM I'm so sorry for your loss...losing our little furry friends can be so hard, they play such an intimate role in our lives. I think you are doing a therapetic thing for yourself by putting Eq's pics around the house. I think that will help you still feel her in your home and in your heart.
You gave her a very loving life. I'm sure you'll both have many happy memories and the pain will lessen with time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LM, I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

You and DH gave Eq a wonderful life with a family that adored her - that it hurts so much is a bittersweet testament to how deeply you loved her. And I honestly believe that she knew that, and that she's happy and healthy now.

Lots of ::hugs:: and dust for peace and healing.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I was going through my phone today and came across this video I took of her enjoying some catnip about 1.5-2 years ago. I uploaded it to Youtube. it makes me smile :love: and I'm so glad I have it.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLeX6IUjHY

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry for your loss! Hang in there and try and remember all the good times you had with her!!!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing the video of EQ. I can see why it makes you smile, she certainly was enjoying the catnip! Continuing to think peaceful healing thoughts for you and your DH. It's obvious that she was so, so well loved by her family. :halo:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huge hugs M. Eq was a very lucky little lady indeed to have such loving parents in her life. I am so sorry for your loss.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I'm currently communicating with 3 jewelry designers on custommade.com to commission my custom memorial pendant. I'm hoping to have proposals from all 3 by tomorow so that I can make a decision and get started on this project. I will be sure to post updates to this process here, since this is, after all, a bling site! :wink2:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Do make sure the designers watch the video before they design. They need to see her doing the sine wave snake slither into ninja roll.

Such a graphic equalizer!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1354828661|3324726 said:
Do make sure the designers watch the video before they design. They need to see her doing the sine wave snake slither into ninja roll.

Such a graphic equalizer!

:lol:

So, get this. I got a proposal back from one of the jewelers. I don't even think she read my project design because she sent me back a description and photos of something that is not even remotely close to my vision.

This is how I worded my design idea:
"I would like a sterling silver or white gold cat silhouette pendant, with black rhinestones or onyx for the head and body, small diamonds to form a collar, a pink stone (perhaps a sapphire or tourmaline) for the nose, and 2 large vibrant yellow topaz (or yellow sapphires) for the eyes. I have attached a picture that is similar in style with what I want.

I would also like to have the back of the pendant engraved with the following "In Loving Memory of EQ 1996-2012"

The pendant should be about 2 inches high when completed. It should have a tail and whiskers as well.

I would also like for it to be a vessel in which to store a small amount of my kitty's cremains.

This is a memorial piece for my dear sweet 16 year old kitty who passed this weekend, so it is very special and therefore needs to be perfect. Thank you."

And here's the picture I sent:
catpendantidea.jpg

This is what she sent me back:
"I have attached a couple of images of what the pendant could look like.
I have tried to make something that fits within your marked budget. The pendant would be made of sterling silver and plated in a black ceramic. There would be a small pink stone as the nose. The eyes would be gold plated instead of being stones.
The more stones added to a piece- the more expensive it becomes.
Let me know if you would like to add stones or change anything- this is just a preliminary design to start with something visual and to give you an idea on price.

So for a pendant like this about 1" large with an engraving " EQ 1996-2012" on the back- the cost would come to $380

Looking forward to hearing back.
Chris"

With this photo:
chris_alix.jpg

:errrr: :nono:

WTF? Where are the diamonds? Where is the "In Loving Memory of"? Why is it 1" instead of 2"? The EYES are the most important part - why would she gold plate them? And $380? Is she for real? I could get something that like anywhere for less than $100! This woman must be on crack! The size of the gemstones I'm requesting are not that expensive. Hello! I'm a PSer!!! :rolleyes:

Needless to say I won't be going with her.

I have 2 other jewelers interested. One is going to pave set all the rhinestones and diamonds (and hopefully bezel set the eyes and nose - waiting to hear back about that) and charge me $450 + $1 per rhinestone. This sounds much more reasonable to me, although I think the price per rhinestone is inflated.

The other is looking into whether a solid piece of onyx can be sculpted to hold the gemstones. If so, I think I'm going to go with him. He was planning to just glue the rhinestones and I don't like that idea. So, if he can't get the sculpted onyx I'm going to go with the other jeweler.

Stay tuned. This is turning into quite the project!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Im all for the sculpted onyx or black jade. Tiny holes can be drilled with diamond drills. Each hole then could be threaded, or lined, with silver tube which would both secure it to the body and form a setting for a stone. This could be done all over. I would want the eyes to be cats eye chrysoberyl, but that's just me.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1354834373|3324838 said:
Im all for the sculpted onyx or black jade. Tiny holes can be drilled with diamond drills. Each hole then could be threaded, or lined, with silver tube which would both secure it to the body and form a setting for a stone. This could be done all over. I would want the eyes to be cats eye chrysoberyl, but that's just me.

That's a great idea, VL! I didn't even think about the cats eye chrysoberyl! I'm going to ask about that. Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was talking to Mike R about pave in wood jewellery and he said basically the same thing - the stones aren't actually held by the wood (or onyx), they're set into a metal lining.

Would you consider plain polished onyx for the body instead of pave all over? The eyes, collar, and nose would really stand out.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1354834917|3324844 said:

I was talking to Mike R about pave in wood jewellery and he said basically the same thing - the stones aren't actually held by the wood (or onyx), they're set into a metal lining.

Would you consider plain polished onyx for the body instead of pave all over? The eyes, collar, and nose would really stand out.

Yes, I am hopeful that that's what can be done. I would prefer that, actually, over the pave.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I did email Paul Michael Design about what VL said about the onyx, so I am hopeful he will respond soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Paul Michael can work it out for you LM! Either way it'll be a lovely tribute piece.

The first response was definitely disappointing - honestly, I think it was rather disrespectful too, you'd made it clear that this is in memory of a cherished pet and they just glossed over details that you specified as especially important :sick:

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1354664105|3322633 said:
And I believe she is watching over me, just like my grandmother. I don't know how many of you believe in the afterlife and spirits, etc. but my grandmother comes to me in my dreams sometimes, and EQ did the same thing last night. I also swear that I heard her jump off the bed yesterday. Maybe I'm grasping at straws...I don't know. But, these things make me feel better.

I believe it. My childhood cat passed on when he was 16 years old (I was 25). He "lingered" in the house for about a month after his passing. We could sense him and would often hear him (he was a siamese and had a very distinct voice). He also came to me in my dreams, just like EQ is doing for you. One morning, while I was still in bed, he was very "present" in my bed. I didn't see him, but I could smell him and feel his presence. It was so intense that I threw up. After that morning, he was gone for good. I believe that was his final goodbye. He was, and remains, the love of my life and I can't wait to see him again.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1354837524|3324893 said:
Lil Misfit|1354664105|3322633 said:

I believe it. My childhood cat passed on when he was 16 years old (I was 25). He "lingered" in the house for about a month after his passing. We could sense him and would often hear him (he was a siamese and had a very distinct voice). He also came to me in my dreams, just like EQ is doing for you. One morning, while I was still in bed, he was very "present" in my bed. I didn't see him, but I could smell him and feel his presence. It was so intense that I threw up. After that morning, he was gone for good. I believe that was his final goodbye. He was, and remains, the love of my life and I can't wait to see him again.

My DH has also said that he sees her out of the corner of his eye, and to be honest, I do too at times. Especially in the bathroom for some reason. I'm so sorry about your kitty. I feel the same way about EQ.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1354881804|3325296 said:
I created a memorial photo book for EQ on Shutterfly. Here's a link if you're interested in seeing it. :love:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbtmTFm4aMly

What a nice way to remember Eq :love: She obviously lived a very happy life and was loved to the fullest. She reminds me so much of my Peanut (and how funny that she had a brother named Peanut!). I love that you say she was the master of the "round fuzzy" =) They're extra cute when they sleep all curled up and cozy like that.

Also on the first page I think the year is wrong, it says she was born in 2012... just thought I'd let ya know!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1354883811|3325307 said:
Lil Misfit|1354881804|3325296 said:
I created a memorial photo book for EQ on Shutterfly. Here's a link if you're interested in seeing it. :love:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbtmTFm4aMly

What a nice way to remember Eq :love: She obviously lived a very happy life and was loved to the fullest. She reminds me so much of my Peanut (and how funny that she had a brother named Peanut!). I love that you say she was the master of the "round fuzzy" =) They're extra cute when they sleep all curled up and cozy like that.

Also on the first page I think the year is wrong, it says she was born in 2012... just thought I'd let ya know!

:-o OMG - thank you for letting me know about the error! I would have been so upset if it was incorrect! I called Shutterfly to cancel the order, made the correction and ordered it again.

Here is the *new* link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbtmTFm4aMm-&cid=SFLYOCWIDGET

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ugh....I'm getting quite annoyed that both of the jewelers that I am considering working with have not responded to me today. I really want to make a decision on which jeweler to go with, and had been hoping to do this by now, so, yea...I'm a bit peeved.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Neither one has responded to my messages the past 2 days. Im trying to stay positive, but I really want to get started on this project.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Honestly neither of them seems right for your project or your style. It might be best not to put time pressures on getting someone started. A little time spent finding the right person(s) could work out better. I dont know what part of the country you're in but Im guessing pgh area since the only one of those two jewelers who's website even stated where they are was in pgh. SO I took the liberty to search for a lapidary artist in that area and found this guy
http://www.headwaterslapidary.com/index.html
I was thinking perhaps he could carve the onyx or black jade and drill out the setting holes, and then maybe someone like Daniel M could do the metalwork? I dont know anything about this guy, just what I gleaned from his website. If he is not right someone will be, you will find them.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I found these not very good photos of a hand carved obsidian cat pendant on someone's blog

ob_cat1.png

ob_cat3.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results