shape
carat
color
clarity

Request for kitty dust...

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Hi PSers....my 16 year old baby, Eq, is very sick. She has been suffering with Irritable Bowel Disease for years, was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism last year, and has also been diagnosed with arthritis, cardiomyopathy, and kidney disease (stage II last time she had bloodwork done).

For the past few weeks we have watched her decline. She doesn't groom herself anymore, and her coat looks dull. She's matted on her chest from having lactulose (which we have to give her 2x/day) dripped on her when she turns her head. She won't let us clean her. She's been very lethargic, is not eating, is losing weight, and seems frail and weak. This morning she wouldn't even eat a small piece of cheese, and cheese is her most favorite thing in the world.

I'm extremely worried about her and terrified that this is it for her... ;( I was able to get an appointment at the vet today at 11:00am and am hoping that they can give her some IV fluids to give her some strength back, but at this point I am afraid that her kidney disease has progressed too far.

I could really use some prayers and kitty dust for her. DH and I don't have kids, and we have had Eq since she was a baby. In fact, before I brought her home at 12 weeks of age, I used to sleep on the couch of my friend whose cat was her momma, and she used to snuggle up and sleep with me. So, she's been my baby since she was born. And I don't think I am prepared to lose her. :(sad

Here's the most recent pic I have of her looking healthy, from a few weeks ago...
eq_2.jpg

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust for little Eq, LM. I hope the vet is able to make her feel better and more comfortable.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
This brought tears to my eyes and my heart hurts for you. Kidney disease in kitties can be scary but with the proper treatment, it seems like it can be maintained. My parents' cat was diagnosed with it over a year ago and he has a special diet and he visits the vet periodically to get IV fluids when he gets too dehydrated. He is doing really well. So hopefully this doesn't have to be it for your sweet Eq. But if it is, at least you'll know that she will be in a better place where she doesn't have to suffer. I know its terribly hard to consider the thought of this though.

Sending tons of dust and prayers and hugs to you. Please come back and let us know how the vet appointment goes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry about Eq. I also put down my Mimi at the grand old age of 16 due to kidney failure as well. It was heartbreaking to see her suffer (in my eyes) - her fur was no longer as fluffy and glossy, terrible constipation which caused bleeding, huge amounts of pee everyday, very little appetite even for her favourite foods, lethargy and more. It was the hardest decision and even when made, I cried all day and continued to question if I was making the correct decision. I still question myself to this day even though 2 years have gone by. In the mean time, I'm sending endless kitty dust your way.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hugs and truckloads of kitty dust. Handling sick pets that we love so very very much is hard. Listen to her, she'll tell you if it's time. :(sad

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you and kitty tons of PS dust. Poor little thing. I really hope your vet can do something to help her. Let's not lose hope. I will pray for kitty.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your kind words! It truly does mean a lot. I will keep you posted after our appointment today.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust for your kitty Misfit...

And sending her hugs and kisses too.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
More hugs and kitty dust. I know from first hand experience how hard it is to see our kitties suffering as they age. :(sad I really hope the vet is able to help her perk up!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LilMisfit - hugs to you and your hubby, and especially eq. <3

If the vet is able to stabilize her, you might want to ask whether hydrating her at home is an option. I did that for my Squeaky for several months, and it did seem to make him more comfortable.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitty dust and biggest hugs outgoing to you and Eq.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
*DUST*, love, hugs, and prayers going out for both Eq and you. We are here for you.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry EQ isn't feeling well. Dust outgoing for good news at the vet.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Lots and lots of kitty dust coming to you and your furbaby.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
lilmisfit So, at the vet, during the physical exam, she felt a mass in Eq's belly. Took a couple of x-rays to see if it was stool, and it's not, but she can't tell from the x-ray what exactly it is. Also took some bloodwork. Her kidneys aren't as bad as we thought. They are still running a thyroid and GI panel on her, and I should have those results in a few days. We gave her some subcutaneous fluids while there and I was shown how to do it myself (going to do it every other day). Basically, the vet suspects that the mass is a cancerous tumor and wants to see how she responds to the fluids and increasing her prednisolone to 2x/day. We are hoping that this will also increase her appetite (in addition to the appetite stimulant she is on). If she doesn't respond to the fluids and her appetite doesn't return, the next option is getting an abdominal ultrasound to determine if it really is cancer. So...not good news :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry the news wasn't better, LMF. Here's hoping the new regimen makes a huge positive change for eq!

Let us know if you need on-line moral support as you start the subQ's. As I said earlier, I gave them to one of my cats for several months... and as I recall, I got my moral support from MovieZombie!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry, LilMisfit. I hope Eq is feeling better soon.

I had a black kitty who needed two doses of fluids every day, and we gave them to her at home for a long time. The fluids, plus meds, improved her quality of life significantly. I was really scared about administering the fluids myself, but it became very easy after the first or second time. I warmed the bag up with my body heat before inserting the needle, that helped keep her from getting the shivers. Here's hoping Eq responds well to the fuilds and new meds.

Thinking of you all.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear Eq isn't feeling well. It's so hard to see our furry friends decline. I hope the new meds help, you get good follow-up news from the vet, and Eq feels better soon.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1352836395|3305585 said:
I'm sorry the news wasn't better, LMF. Here's hoping the new regimen makes a huge positive change for eq!

Let us know if you need on-line moral support as you start the subQ's. As I said earlier, I gave them to one of my cats for several months... and as I recall, I got my moral support from MovieZombie!

Thank you. I really appreciate that!

She ate a bit of tuna this afternoon, but is still very lethargic. All she does is lay on the couch and look pathetic. It makes my heart hurt. ;( And my head hurts from crying.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Here she is at the vet earlier today...looking very sad.
eqvet_2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so sorry about this...sending you and Eq buckets and buckets of PS healing ******dust******dust******dust******
She is such a sweetie Lil Misfit. As others have said giving subcutaneous fluids is not difficult and we are here for you if you need us to talk you through. Big hugs to you both!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I'm sending you lots of kitty dust, and I know your heart is breaking. We went through this with Margaret almost two years ago when she was 16. The vet removed a cancerous tumor from her spleen and she's still ticking. But I have to add that your baby is in worse shape than Margaret was when we decided on the surgery.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I am sending lots of hugs, prayers and dust.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. Just came back and saw the new picture of pretty Eq.

Whenever we have very ill pets DH always reminds me of something that helps me feel better, at least for the animals. He reminds me that they don't think in the same terms as we do, that they don't dwell on their pain and worry if this is the end. They focus on the here and now, and they do not fear what might come. We fear what might come, and we get sad about the possibility of loss, but your sweet kitty is just taking it one day at a time, and basking in the love you're giving her right now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1352852249|3305832 said:

Whenever we have very ill pets DH always reminds me of something that helps me feel better, at least for the animals. He reminds me that they don't think in the same terms as we do, that they don't dwell on their pain and worry if this is the end. They focus on the here and now, and they do not fear what might come. We fear what might come, and we get sad about the possibility of loss, but your sweet kitty is just taking it one day at a time, and basking in the love you're giving her right now.

Haven, I hope you don't mind me quoting you all the time lately-it's just your posts are very quotable- you always know exactly what to say and it is always so helpful.
I just wanted to second this wholeheartedly. Lil Misfit-Your darling Eq is just happy you are there and making her feel loved and safe and not worrying about her future.
Knowing this has always made me feel better and has gotten me through some difficult times with my dear furbabies.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very well said Haven. I'm going to have to remember that...

Lil Misfit, I'm sad to hear that things didn't go better at the vet but hopefully sweet little Eq will get some relief from the fluids and new meds and start to feel better. Sending more hugs to you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was going to ask about prednisone/prednislone.
subq can help....how much every other day?
how long is the wait for improvement before doing the ultrasound?
was an x-ray done?
ok, this is me personally: i am extremely proactive with my cats. i know the ultrasound is pricey but have you considered asking that it be done now? the reason i suggest this is that she appears to be in decline. perhaps a resolution re the cancer issue would help you make necessary treatment decisions?

there is a feline cancer support group on yahoo that i participate on when necessary.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-cancer/

also a feline heart diseasae support group as well.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

re assisted feeding
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

re feline kidney disease
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

great way to obtain info, guidance, and support. i found the cancer support group in March when my Rusty cat as diagnosed with lung cancer. it was invaluable to me when he died 3/26......

meds and subq can buy some time for her to regain strength, especially if she will eat. baby food [w/o onion/garlic] in chicken or turkey is something to try.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

i really am so very sorry you are going through this. she is beautiful. it hurts so much because you love so much. and i see her love for you in her eyes. you have both been blessed to travel a road together for 16 years. this may be her time to travel on. if this is so, she will not have left you but will dwell in your heart and in your soul. and she is blessed to have had you in her life, to provide the care and nourishment and love to live so long and so well.

sometimes the hardest thing we can do is love....love enough to let them go. not easy. never is easy. and doesn't get easier with age or no matter how many times one goes through this. with love comes responsibility. the easy part is over. the hard work now begins....letting go so that she can let go. say all the things you've ever wanted to say and never did. say all the things you've said and that bear repeating. do this for yourself....and for her. because sometimes our fur babies need to know its ok to do what they need to do........

again, i am so very sorry.....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1352845533|3305727 said:
Here she is at the vet earlier today...looking very sad.
eqvet_2.jpg

What a beautiful, sweet face. Precious little girl.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sending lots of kitty dust your way.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
missy|1352853486|3305850 said:
Haven|1352852249|3305832 said:

Haven, I hope you don't mind me quoting you all the time lately-it's just your posts are very quotable- you always know exactly what to say and it is always so helpful.
I just wanted to second this wholeheartedly. Lil Misfit-Your darling Eq is just happy you are there and making her feel loved and safe and not worrying about her future.
Knowing this has always made me feel better and has gotten me through some difficult times with my dear furbabies.

She does seem to just want to be near us. She didn't leave my side last night, except to lay on DH's lap when he got home. She also hung out with me in the bathroom as I got ready for work this morning.

She seems a bit more *bright eyed*. She ate some tuna (and came back later for more!) and drank some water. Now she is resting again. I am keeping my fingers crossed. We are going to give her more fluids tomorrow. Thank you again for your kind words and your continued prayers. It means a lot to me, and to her. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results