shape
carat
color
clarity

Request for kitty dust...

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1352861743|3305983 said:
i was going to ask about prednisone/prednislone.
subq can help....how much every other day?
how long is the wait for improvement before doing the ultrasound?
was an x-ray done?
ok, this is me personally: i am extremely proactive with my cats. i know the ultrasound is pricey but have you considered asking that it be done now? the reason i suggest this is that she appears to be in decline. perhaps a resolution re the cancer issue would help you make necessary treatment decisions?

there is a feline cancer support group on yahoo that i participate on when necessary.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-cancer/

also a feline heart diseasae support group as well.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

re assisted feeding
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

re feline kidney disease
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

great way to obtain info, guidance, and support. i found the cancer support group in March when my Rusty cat as diagnosed with lung cancer. it was invaluable to me when he died 3/26......

meds and subq can buy some time for her to regain strength, especially if she will eat. baby food [w/o onion/garlic] in chicken or turkey is something to try.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

i really am so very sorry you are going through this. she is beautiful. it hurts so much because you love so much. and i see her love for you in her eyes. you have both been blessed to travel a road together for 16 years. this may be her time to travel on. if this is so, she will not have left you but will dwell in your heart and in your soul. and she is blessed to have had you in her life, to provide the care and nourishment and love to live so long and so well.

sometimes the hardest thing we can do is love....love enough to let them go. not easy. never is easy. and doesn't get easier with age or no matter how many times one goes through this. with love comes responsibility. the easy part is over. the hard work now begins....letting go so that she can let go. say all the things you've ever wanted to say and never did. say all the things you've said and that bear repeating. do this for yourself....and for her. because sometimes our fur babies need to know its ok to do what they need to do........

again, i am so very sorry.....

Thank you so much for the links, and for your kind words and concern. As far as meds go, we are increasing her prednisolone from .25ml 1x/day to .25ml 2x/day. We will give 75ml of the lactated ringers SQ every other day for now, but the vet says this may change based on the results of the GI and thyroid panel. She's also getting 1.5ml of lactulose 2x/day, .05ml of methimazole transdermally 2x/day, .5ml of Cisapride 1x/day, and .05 to .1ml of mirtazapine transdermally 1x/day.

It's hard to believe she's on so many meds... :(sad

We have some baby food (turkey, no onions) but she hasn't been eating it as much as she has the tuna. Yes, x-rays were done, of her abdomen and her chest. Her kidneys are small, but that's to be expected. I could see the mass that the vet felt, but like she said it's hard to tell what it really is without an ultrasound. I think we will give it a few days to a week before we decide on the ultrasound. Ultimately, if it is cancer, DH and I have already decided not to do any aggressive treatment, but just rather to support her and make her as comfortable as we can until it's time. She's been through so much already and I really don't want her last days to be filled with stress, trips to the vet, vets, techs, injections, etc. I want them to be peaceful and surrounded by our love.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Sending healing thoughts your way Lil M.i do Movie Zombie in the suggestion that you get the tumor diagnosis sooner rather than later and visit the yahoo groups she recommended. I own a natural pet food store and have had quite a few customers over the years whose kitties have multiple health issues and were undergoing treatment. Many had success with getting their cats to eat Fussy Cat which is a canned food. I have had most of the area vets sending clients to me for this line when their cats won't eat. Check with your local independant natural pet food stores many should carry it.
Please keep us updated.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I will keep that in mind if her appetite does not improve. I am hoping that the meds will help, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is Eq doing today? I am sorry to hear the prognosis isn't as positive as hoped. Still, I'm continuing to keep Eq and you in my thoughts, with lots of healing kitty dust sent your way. Aachoo! Sorry, some kitty dust flew out of my bag.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh LM I'm so sorry to read this :(sad

She's such a beautiful lady. Worrying for a pet's health is so painful.. tons and tons of dust coming your way!! I hope today was okay?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
******dust******dust******dust****** for your kitty. I just don't know what else to say. One of mine is having some problems too. It's very upsetting to see them declining.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Sorry it took me so long to come back here and give an update. The vet called me yesterday and informed me that EQ's thyroid level was up to 3.5 (it was 2.2 the last time they checked), so we have increased her methimazole dosage to help with that. Also, her pancreatic level was really high, so she's got pancreatitis (an inflammation of the pancreas), which *could* be what the mass is, but again, still unsure. They added yet another medication, Cerenia, that we'll be giving for 4 days, then every other day for another 4 doses. It's an anti-nausea medication that's also an anti-inflammatory, so hopefully that will help with her pancreas.

She's eating a little better. Not great, but at least she's getting something in her. DH and I successfully administered the subcutaneous lactated ringers today. That was pretty stressful, but we did it correctly, so I'm glad for that. She's still being very lethargic. Just laying around, on the couch mostly. Yesterday morning and this morning she just laid on the rug in our bathroom next to me as I got ready for work. She never does that. I think she just wants to be near me right now. I think it makes her feel safe.

I will continue to keep you posted. Thanks again for all your support and dust! It truly means a lot!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit, have you tried baby food for Eq? Our cat Billy had pancreatitis (as well as diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiac myopathy) and his appetite was awful during the pancreatitis flare ups. However, the one thing he would eat was baby food. I cannot remember the brand or specific type but we bought them all and on different days he would eat different flavors depending on his mood. Just wanted to mention it because it did help his appetite. Also, another thing he would eat was fresh turkey white meat. My dh would cook a turkey and cut off pieces for him. So those were the 2 foods he had any taste for during that time.

Sending more dust and hugs to you both.

ETA: DId they do an ultrasound of the abdomen?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Oh, what a sweet baby she is! Sending happy and healthy thoughts her way.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Missy, we have given her baby food in the past (Gerber, meat only, no onions) and I do have some. She is not very interested in it, though. I put that and tuna on a plate for her (trying to give her some choices) and she seems to prefer the tuna, or at least the tuna water.

She has just been laying on my lap all night, and I've been petting her. She just seems so tired... :(sad

I took this pic this morning. You can see how little she is...
eqbathroom_0.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i've had to think the baby food with a bit of water to make it palatable for my sick kitties.

also, there is a product called FortaFlora that sometimes attracts sick kitties to eat.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found that pouring either a little clam juice or chicken broth over soft food will encourage my kitty to eat when she's being finicky.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
She is an adorable kittie! So petite. I'm hoping that the mass is from an enlarged pancreas. That is a manageable condition largely controlled by diet & antacids once the inflammation is under control. Here's an informative website for you. http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Pancreas.html

Has she ben prescribed any pain relievers? She is probably very uncomfortable. Ask your vet about this.

Please keep us updated. Sending healing thoughts to Eq.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Poor little thing, she is very petite. I really hope the medications lift her spirits and bring back her appetite. It's so difficult seeing the ones you love uncomfortable and down. Hugs for you, LM.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Waaah! I hate to see kitties in trouble! ;(

Much much dust for you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She really is petite.. I really hope she gets her appetite back, at least a little. ::HUGS:: to you and your DH, and a gentle scritch for the pretty little lady :(sad

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
DH got home before I did today, and sent me a text that said "I've never been so happy to see a hungry cat!" and then proceeded to tell me that not only did EQ eat her food, but she also ate some of her brother's (Peanut). Then, later, he sent me another text that said "Now I know she's feeling better. She's eating tortilla chips! :) )

So, she seems to have her appetite back! :appl: I think she actually ate some food in the middle of the night last night, too, because when I got up this morning, all of the food that I had left for her was gone (the tuna and the baby food) and all of Peanut's food was gone, too. Peanut doesn't normally eat the food, just licks the juice, so I know it wasn't him.

I'm optimistic! :twirl:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like good news. :)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1353112022|3308296 said:
DH got home before I did today, and sent me a text that said "I've never been so happy to see a hungry cat!" and then proceeded to tell me that not only did EQ eat her food, but she also ate some of her brother's (Peanut). Then, later, he sent me another text that said "Now I know she's feeling better. She's eating tortilla chips! :) )

So, she seems to have her appetite back! :appl: I think she actually ate some food in the middle of the night last night, too, because when I got up this morning, all of the food that I had left for her was gone (the tuna and the baby food) and all of Peanut's food was gone, too. Peanut doesn't normally eat the food, just licks the juice, so I know it wasn't him.

Yay! Very good sign. Is there an emoticon for a happy dance? Eq is such a doll! My Electra is little like that - we call her Mini Cat.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1353112022|3308296 said:

That's FANTASTIC news!!!! I'm super happy to hear it :bigsmile:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is amazing news and I am so happy for you!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Eq really is such a sweet beautiful kitty! Continued good luck and healing PS dust being sent your way!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'm so thrilled to hear your happy update! I can only imagine the relief you felt when you heard about the tortilla chips, lol. :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hooray! So glad to hear she is feeling better. Very happy for you & Eq!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I think I jumped the gun a bit and my optimism was short-lived, unfortunately. Eq seemed to be fine when I got home. We started to make dinner and get her meds ready, and when we came back out into the living room to get her for the meds we realized she had urinated all over the blankets on the couch where she was laying :(sad And just yesterday DH had noticed that the blankets we had on the couch before smelled like urine, so they had been washed. I didn't think anything about it at the time, but now, with it happening 2 days in a row, I'm wondering if she's becoming incontinent?

The vet called me earlier (before the urination incident) and we talked about the practicality of getting the ultrasound. Ultimately, we made a decision to bring Eq back to the vet in 2-3 weeks for another physical exam and x-rays. At that time, we will determine if the mass has decreased in size or not. If it has, we can safely assume it's pancreatitis and tweak our treatment. If it doesn't, we can assume it's cancer and make plans to make sure she is comfortable until her time comes to leave us...

I don't particularly like either option, and honestly, I had high hopes that this was just an acute episode and she'd be back to her old self by this weekend. Now, I realize that's not going to happen... :(sad

We all still appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers and responses. It means a lot to us all that my PSers are thinking of her! You guys are awesome! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. :(( Our last indoor cats both ended up with kidney failure and the incontinence was at the very end. As hard as it was, we had to make the determination that once they were miserable and had no real quality of life, it was time to let them go. I hope your kitty improves, I really do. But she has had a wonderful long happy life thanks to her loving family.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
DUST DUST DUST for your sweet little kitty, Eq. Lil Misfit - I'm hoping the magic of PS dust works on your precious furbaby. If only they could talk - tell us what they feel, what would help them be comfortable, ask how they'd like us to handle this dilemma for them.... if only.

I hope you feel a tad better knowing you have support and advice and you are actively working to do whatever you can, to make her life as comfortable as possible. I hope it goes smoothly....

DUST DUST DUST and a really REALLY big {{{HUG}}}

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Peanut, our 7 year old Maine Coon, has been very protective of Eq lately. I took this cute pic of them in the bathroom just now. :love:
peanut_watching_over_eq.jpg

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, cute picture. Sending lots of dust to Eq, you, your husband and Peanut.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1353123506|3308479 said:
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. :(( Our last indoor cats both ended up with kidney failure and the incontinence was at the very end. As hard as it was, we had to make the determination that once they were miserable and had no real quality of life, it was time to let them go. I hope your kitty improves, I really do. But she has had a wonderful long happy life thanks to her loving family.

Well spoken, DS. Big hugs to you LM.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="Lil Misfit|1353122018|3308456.......The vet called me earlier (before the urination incident) and we talked about the practicality of getting the ultrasound. Ultimately, we made a decision to bring Eq back to the vet in 2-3 weeks for another physical exam and x-rays. At that time, we will determine if the mass has decreased in size or not. If it has, we can safely assume it's pancreatitis and tweak our treatment. If it doesn't, we can assume it's cancer and make plans to make sure she is comfortable until her time comes to leave us...

I don't particularly like either option, and honestly, I had high hopes that this was just an acute episode and she'd be back to her old self by this weekend. Now, I realize that's not going to happen... :(sad

We all still appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers and responses. It means a lot to us all that my PSers are thinking of her! You guys are awesome! :love:[/quote]

she is miserable now.
losing control over urination is a sign of further decline.
why does your vet want to wait 2-3 weeks for another physical exam and x-rays?
have you called him back to tell him about this new development?
having been through this situation many times i can say that at times we have to be very very proactive for our fur babies.
i believe this is one of those times.

i sincerely hope you do not wait 2-3 weeks for a nother physical exam, x-rays, and/or ultra sound. the sooner you have a diagnosis and the more often she is monitored, the better quality her end of days and the better info you have to make quality decisions for her. with what you are describing there is absolutely no way i'd wait to get more info. i've been down this path so many times and am currently dealing with my 18.5 year old cat's multiple health issues. what you are describing here in your posts is difficult for me to read....because it cuts too close to the bone. please rethink waiting to take further action.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results