shape
carat
color
clarity

Red/Pink Spinel Hunting

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dear friends! I am back for your help on a spinel this time. I do not like the neon pink Mahenge color or the jedi materials. I do not like the dark ruby like red either... I saw these two stones, and I kinda like them. Are these good colors?

5ct Burma cushion

4.5ct Pamir oval

@fredflintstone Both are in the $4.5K range. In your opinion, are they fairly priced? Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once spinels go over the four carat mark, they really jump in price. That being said, Yavorskiy is on the more expensive side. Maybe you should get quotes from other dealers for the same colors??

As for them being “good” colors, you should make sure you see them in both indoor and outdoor lighting to make sure they do not get too brownish. That color tends to go a bit brownish in some lighting.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I always struggle with spinels shifting colour on me, and picking up more grey or brown than I would like in nighttime lighting. I have noticed the really flourescent red and hot pink dont really do this so much but everything else can (and often will) shift. That colour looks like it would go a bit muddy under flourescent lighting.

If I didnt want mahenge material I would have tried for something that was straight pink or pink orange and highly saturated (no brown, no grey), just in a lighter tone. In my experience it can then shift towards peach in indoor lighting. I would also have made sure the store had a good return policy (as my chances of using it were high).

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I always struggle with spinels shifting colour on me, and picking up more grey or brown than I would like in nighttime lighting. I have noticed the really flourescent red and hot pink dont really do this so much but everything else can (and often will) shift. That colour looks like it would go a bit muddy under flourescent lighting.

If I didnt want mahenge material I would have tried for something that was straight pink or pink orange and highly saturated (no brown, no grey), just in a lighter tone. In my experience it can then shift towards peach in indoor lighting. I would also have made sure the store had a good return policy (as my chances of using it were high).

LOL... on your comment about the return policy! I bought a big malaya, which people on this forum say has color shift (and I kinda liked it as in some lighting it shift to a more cinnamon color). Some thread / PSers specifically said spinel do not shift colors, so it is interesting to hear that view. I guess it is definitely an intricate balance unless you pay $5,000 / carat for some top-notch materials. Most spinel I saw in the $1,000 / carat range have an unavoidable grey / brown tone...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are notorious for color shifting imho. Some shifts are quite pleasant, and some, not so much.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL... on your comment about the return policy! I bought a big malaya, which people on this forum say has color shift (and I kinda liked it as in some lighting it shift to a more cinnamon color). Some thread / PSers specifically said spinel do not shift colors, so it is interesting to hear that view. I guess it is definitely an intricate balance unless you pay $5,000 / carat for some top-notch materials. Most spinel I saw in the $1,000 / carat range have an unavoidable grey / brown tone...

They might have meant compared to a lot of read garnets they shift a lot less. But red garnets can look awful in dim lighting so that is not saying much.

Really neon red and neon pink dont shift much (if theyre saturated enough). But even a typical stone that is sold as 'neon pink' and is indeed flourescent and lights up neon in the sun, can and still will shift in my experience. You have to grt used to buying one where you like the colour it shifts to. I agree with TL spinels shift a lot. Pricing has been quite high since the changes to gem export/mining in tanzania a few years ago. Now mayamar is in civil unrest and it is covid. I imagine its difficult at the moment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you need to look at these in person to decide. I expect these to shift to either salmon (orangish) or cinnamon (brownish) under different lighting. As long as you like the shift, then it is a good colour (personal preferences and all).

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
All my spinels shift to some degree (and i have probably more than 50) including my mahenge, but I LOVE that about them! I say they are moody like me, lol. As mentioned upthread, that vendor is on the higher side, but is very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if any of their stones were the one for me.

I think the ones you posted are absolutely lovely. From what I understand spinels larger than 4 cts are getting harder to find and more expensive.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
All my spinels shift to some degree (and i have probably more than 50) including my mahenge, but I LOVE that about them! I say they are moody like me, lol. As mentioned upthread, that vendor is on the higher side, but is very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if any of their stones were the one for me.

I think the ones you posted are absolutely lovely. From what I understand spinels larger than 4 cts are getting harder to find and more expensive.

Has the spinel price in general gone up a lot over the years? I am wondering if I can still get a beautiful loupe clean 4-5ct stone in the $5K range in 6-10 months...As @qubitasaurus mentioned that the unfortunately civil unrest in Burma and the Mahenge export restriction prob tighten the supply on top of the COVID disruption... Wonder if that's just temporary, and maybe we will see more supply later...

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Has the spinel price in general gone up a lot over the years? I am wondering if I can still get a beautiful loupe clean 4-5ct stone in the $5K range in 6-10 months...As @qubitasaurus mentioned that the unfortunately civil unrest in Burma and the Mahenge export restriction prob tighten the supply on top of the COVID disruption... Wonder if that's just temporary, and maybe we will see more supply later...

What supply will be in the future is always a crap shoot, we never know if and when a new find is discovered or if it will dry up. I've been collecting spinels for 15 or so years and they have drastically gone up in that time. I remember when 5 cts could be found for <1k and when they were practically giving away the greys. I think when the Mahenges hit the market by storm the world was introduced to how beautiful this species is. If I were to guess I would say they won't be getting cheaper especially the pinks and reds, and especially loop clean >4 cts. That is one reason I couldn't pass up my recent 4.65ct pe-loved red even though it wasn't my perfect shade.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given you dont want a popular colour. It may be a better bet just to keep hunting at the moment.

But cast a wider net and just see what the range of prices actually are. Only thing is you'll have to be persistent with checking people's policies, and may even need to deal with a few international returns.

I think there are quite a few here (main issue being that youll have to deal with difficulty of properly vetting for inclusions and colour shift)

(This one has a small window, but its apparently loupe clean.)

I think it certainly wont be simple to find a spinel priced moderately reasonably, but it shouldnt be impossible either.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I had a good experience with Yavorskyy buying a much smaller spinel. His stock seems to be much nicer material (a lot of the spinels I see on IG and other places look very included) and better cut than others. They also offered me 10% off when I (cheekily!) asked about best pricing.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity and cut is excellent on both. That colour is at the lower end in terms of price - which should be in your favour as that’s the colour you’re looking for. The more vibrant hues are pricier.

But I think these are very expensive compared to what you could get from other vendors.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Clarity and cut is excellent on both. That colour is at the lower end in terms of price - which should be in your favour as that’s the colour you’re looking for. The more vibrant hues are pricier.

But I think these are very expensive compared to what you could get from other vendors.

Any other vendors you’d recommend? Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like this color...but I assume that window is a big issue? o_Oo_O

I would not buy a pricey pink spinel without a lab report, or from a dealer I didn’t know well. They’re synthesizing all colors of spinel these days, especially pinks.

By the way, thst stone is falsely advertised as precision cut. If it were, it would not have a window.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is 4ct the real cut off for a big spinel?

Would you sacrifice clarity for color in large stone (say 5ct+)? Thank you!

I’m pretty shocked at how expensive that stone is. It’s not a highly desired pinkish red, but a purplish pink with some brown. For that price, I’d want a much larger gem or at least a vibrant pink or red that fluoresced in the sun, which this one does not appear to do.

I think the original stones you posted are expensive, but a better value than this one, and sold by a highly well known and reputable dealer. I also worry about that lab report (never heard of that lab).

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My favorite stone!
Spinel certainly has transformed into an 'it' stone. It's being pushed on the unique engagement ring market and the prices reflect it. The prices on the gem rocks site are too high. If you can offer a counter then maybe it would be worth it.
Yavorskyy is on the higher side but he caters with boutique color/cutting. Everyone is catching up to his pricing now. If you're going to pay the prices you should get the clarity/cut quality that goes with it.
Regular small vendors will probably come down some on price if the popular push doesn't cement spinel prices where they are, but there is no certainty that they won't. Spinels just aren't particularly cheap anymore...See what she can find you- she has some really pretty stones
or maybe these vendors

Last edited:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Could you all share some photos of the most desired spinel colors? It seems to be really hard to compare stones due to the color shift in different lighting environments.

Is this considered a good color? The video is quite lovely. Does clarity or color affect the spinel pricing more?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m pretty shocked at how expensive that stone is. It’s not a highly desired pinkish red, but a purplish pink with some brown. For that price, I’d want a much larger gem or at least a vibrant pink or red that fluoresced in the sun, which this one does not appear to do.

I think the original stones you posted are expensive, but a better value than this one, and sold by a highly well known and reputable dealer. I also worry about that lab report (never heard of that lab).

Thank you! Yeah, rule of thumb is that it never hurt to negotiate. But good to know that’s not a good color. Quite brilliant though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Yeah, rule of thumb is that it never hurt to negotiate. But good to know that’s not a good color. Quite brilliant though.

Well if you like that color, that’s what is important, but it's equally important to pay a fair price as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you all share some photos of the most desired spinel colors? It seems to be really hard to compare stones due to the color shift in different lighting environments.

Is this considered a good color? The video is quite lovely. Does clarity or color affect the spinel pricing more?

It’s a pretty stone, but you said at the beginning, you don’t like neon or hot pink or red spinels. Those gems are considered more trade ideal and top color.

My personal rule of thumb with red of pink spinels is that if it can be mistaken for a red or pink garnet, I’ll pass. Not that I dislike red or pink garnets, but hey can be had for much less in price for a similar size spinel. I also only like red or pink spinels with strong fluorescence.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It’s a pretty stone, but you said at the beginning, you don’t like neon or hot pink or red spinels. Those gems are considered more trade ideal and top color.

My personal rule of thumb with red of pink spinels is that if it can be mistaken for a red or pink garnet, I’ll pass. Not that I dislike red or pink garnets, but hey can be had for much less in price for a similar size spinel. I also only like red or pink spinels with strong fluorescence.

I see... I actually like that color. But I don’t like the neon pink material like those classics Mahenge ones...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My favorite stone!
Spinel certainly has transformed into an 'it' stone. It's being pushed on the unique engagement ring market and the prices reflect it. The prices on the gem rocks site are too high. If you can offer a counter then maybe it would be worth it.
Yavorskyy is on the higher side but he caters with boutique color/cutting. Everyone is catching up to his pricing now. If you're going to pay the prices you should get the clarity/cut quality that goes with it.
Regular small vendors will probably come down some on price if the popular push doesn't cement spinel prices where they are, but there is no certainty that they won't. Spinels just aren't particularly cheap anymore...See what she can find you- she has some really pretty stones
or maybe these vendors

Is this a good color: https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...kistan-pinkish-peach-spinel-gemstones-1381497

The vendor said one small dot under the loupe at 20x. It is red under the UV too! Thank you!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I personally find it very pretty. But I happen to really like pinky peachy colors. I also like unusual colors. My only worry is too much of any modifying color making it muddled in some light. Did the vendor show you any other images in different lighting conditions?
What does it say to you? Is it your color?
Never buy anything that doesn't sing to you- because that's the point. When you look down you sigh with contentment.
That being said:
There's a seven day return so if it doesn't perform the way you want, back it goes. You won't know what works for you until you see it in hand. Lots of factors in play effect how a stone looks/performs. You may have to buy and return a few stones. That's perfectly okay- it's a pretty typical part of the process. :))

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I personally find it very pretty. But I happen to really like pinky peachy colors. I also like unusual colors. My only worry is too much of any modifying color making it muddled in some light. Did the vendor show you any other images in different lighting conditions?
Never buy anything that doesn't sing to you- because that's the point. When you look down you sigh with contentment.
That being said:
There's a seven day return so if it doesn't perform the way you want, back it goes. You won't know what works for you until you see it in hand. Lots of factors in play effect how a stone looks/performs. You may have to buy and return a few stones. That's perfectly okay- it's a pretty typical part of the process. :))

Here you go. It looks that it could be more pink under sunlight because of the UV? Thanks. What's a reasonable price for this you think?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be extremely wary buying something so expensive from an overseas vendor without any prior knowledge of them (e.g people on the forum having good experiences, etc). Retirning to Thailand will be a nightmare if you dont like the stone.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That being said:

These are prob similar to the original Yavorskyy's stones... These are from Pamir Gems, but they are both way more expensive than the Yavorskyy's @.@!!! They are oversea too, but seems to have a good inventory.

5.03ct pink:

4.68ct pink_1:
4.68ct pink_2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results