shape
carat
color
clarity

Red/Pink Spinel Hunting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not spend more than Yavorskyy. He has great stones, and if he’s selling at a high premium, I would avoid anyone that sells the same material per carat, for a higher price.

I have a similar color spinel that floresces under UV flashlight, but not so much in the sun. You really have to evaluate in the sun.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And the daily hunt continues... I realize for what I’m willing to pay, I might have to settle for an eye clean stone for the color and weight I want... Is this stone too dark in saturation and tone?
9AC876EC-BEE0-46B3-B35C-299482A110B7.jpeg

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is potential for the stone to be dark in person. No chance to view it in person?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a stone that will do best under strong light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful flame colouration. Any still pics? I saw some stuff from the back, hard to spot from the front.

fredflintstone

Shiny_Rock
It is not I think that the stone's tone is too dark, but there is extinction in the cut. The stone could very well be medium toned. But with extinction, the dark areas you see in the stone can become worse in brighter light.

Sunlight is great, but to many that live in colder climates forget that indoor light is more important, as you going to be wearing jewelry indoors under artificial light or mixed with indirect sunlight much more than you will be outdoors, especially in the cold months.

Really though, it is all conjecture. Stones are always best judged in person; you can only go by a picture or video (which is better) so far. Sure, it can give you an idea, but they are so many other things such as the light it was taken in how strong the light was, the latitude it was taken in if outdoors, the angle it was shot at can make a stone look darker or lighter, the body and camera always block some light which can also look like extinction. Many variables here.

Just make sure whomever you buy has a good return policy and that they write that into your invoice agreement if you go through Paypal.

Most vendors are honest, but there always that one...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful flame colouration. Any still pics? I saw some stuff from the back, hard to spot from the front.

It is not I think that the stone's tone is too dark, but there is extinction in the cut. The stone could very well be medium toned. But with extinction, the dark areas you see in the stone can become worse in brighter light.

Sunlight is great, but to many that live in colder climates forget that indoor light is more important, as you going to be wearing jewelry indoors under artificial light or mixed with indirect sunlight much more than you will be outdoors, especially in the cold months.

Really though, it is all conjecture. Stones are always best judged in person; you can only go by a picture or video (which is better) so far. Sure, it can give you an idea, but they are so many other things such as the light it was taken in how strong the light was, the latitude it was taken in if outdoors, the angle it was shot at can make a stone look darker or lighter, the body and camera always block some light which can also look like extinction. Many variables here.

Just make sure whomever you buy has a good return policy and that they write that into your invoice agreement if you go through Paypal.

Most vendors are honest, but there always that one...

Thanks! I assuming you are talking about the stone I posted as a picture in post #33? That one was taken under a canopy outside the dwell of the miner. So it probably can qualify as natural light but not direct sunlight.

I hear everyone's point that you cannot really judge the stone unless its in your hand...I am trying my best to select the one that I want to see as exchanges/returns usually is a hassle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I assuming you are talking about the stone I posted as a picture in post #33? That one was taken under a canopy outside the dwell of the miner. So it probably can qualify as natural light but not direct sunlight.

I was referencing post 38 as flame and has potential.

fredflintstone

Shiny_Rock

I hear everyone's point that you cannot really judge the stone unless its in your hand...I am trying my best to select the one that I want to see as exchanges/returns usually is a hassle.

Yes, that picture.

Many times, taking pictures in direct sunlight overwhelms the stone and it closes up to the camera eye, even if it looks great to the human eye. Many stones do this.

As I wrote earlier though, it really is more important to see how the stone looks with artificial light, as that is where jewelry is seen the most and at night when jewelry is worn the most, dinners, parties, dates, etc..

Yes, returns are a hassle but a fact of life. If you don’t like a stone, you want to make sure it is as hassle free as it can be getting your money refunded.

Good luck to you. =)2

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Yeah...I may buy it...its 7ct+ for $6K, but prob needs more polish. Almost eye-clean but seems no major fissure.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.