shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Carpet Bling

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a huge R Z fan. She has squinty little eyes and always makes a duck face. I have liked her in certain roles but did not think she looks great now. Cameron Diaz also did not do it for me last night, another dress like a big tablecloth and minimal make up and jewels. Toned down is fine, but blah is not great on the biggest night in Hollywood. I love to see some of the craziness, makes it more fantasy like to me.

I like Anne because she is chic and not stick thin. She has some curves. I love her doe eyes and I love the dark hair and pale skin with dark eyes.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 4:41:00 PM
Author: MC
Date: 2/25/2008 2:25:05 PM

Author: coatimundi

But...what up with the post pregnancy shrinkage phenomenon? This is most

troubling.
38.gif

Sick of all the SKELETORS
I know this will come across as b*tchy, but comments like calling those women 'skeletors' isn't appropriate IMO. Bashing weight in all shapes and sizes just isn't cool

Whoops--sorry if I offended. I meant it to be a weird funny, as is my sense of humor. Not bashing weight at all, but definitely commenting on the weight game of Hollywood. I don't think it's good at all. I could've have said it in a gentler way, though.

DF, I think AH has a lovely healthy body as well. She also has a lovely profile.

Also, I am naturally very skinny. My friends have called ME "Skeletor." I'm just used to this kind of humor, that's all.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 5:05:47 PM

I know this will come across as b*tchy, but comments like calling those women ''skeletors'' isn''t appropriate IMO. Bashing weight in all shapes and sizes just isn''t cool

Whoops--sorry if I offended. I meant it to be a weird funny, as is my sense of humor. Not bashing weight at all, but definitely commenting on the weight game of Hollywood. I don''t think it''s good at all. I could''ve have said it in a gentler way, though.

DF, I think AH has a lovely healthy body as well. She also has a lovely profile.

Also, I am naturally very skinny. My friends have called ME ''Skeletor.'' I''m just used to this kind of humor, that''s all.
I wasn''t offended, just annoyed because I too am thin and get comments occasionally. One time I walked in on a group of ladies discussing how I didn''t have any hips.
20.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 5:13:23 PM
Date: 2/25/2008 5:05:47 PM

I know this will come across as b*tchy, but comments like calling those women 'skeletors' isn't appropriate IMO. Bashing weight in all shapes and sizes just isn't cool

Whoops--sorry if I offended. I meant it to be a weird funny, as is my sense of humor. Not bashing weight at all, but definitely commenting on the weight game of Hollywood. I don't think it's good at all. I could've have said it in a gentler way, though.

Also, I am naturally very skinny. My friends have called ME 'Skeletor.' I'm just used to this kind of humor, that's all.
I wasn't offended, just annoyed because I too am thin and get comments occasionally. One time I walked in on a group of ladies discussing how I didn't have any hips.
20.gif

Oh MC! That sucks! Sorry to annoy you--I obviously struck a nerve--I really regret my comment!

I've had the same thing happen--ladies discussing my lack of hips. Basically commenting on how I'll have trouble with childbirth etc. People can be so rude. Sorry if I was one of the rude ones.
8.gif

I hear that kind of stuff all the time, and yes, it gets so old. I can't help that I have a bony sternum!

eta: (I guess it's sad, but I have gotten used to my best friend calling me SKELETOR!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 4:45:51 PM
Author: Selkie
Was Ellen Page wearing something like a Diamonds-by-the-yard necklace? I like them (DBTY) in person, but they seem so minimalist compared to all the ginormous chokers and bib necklaces out there.

TGal, my husband introduced me to the brilliance that is Eddie Izzard several years ago, and I lurve him too. We''ve been watching The Riches on DVD, which led me to watching like two hours of clips from his stand-up on YouTube over the weekend (I''ve only heard them on CD before, so never had the visuals, which is so important). I could not stop laughing and I decided I needed an EI sig, pronto. It was that one, or ''I''m covered in BEES!''
Those are both good lines, but "cake or death" is probably the signature line from that act. I can pretty much recite Dress to Kill by heart. Glorious is also very good!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 12:37:17 AM
Author: Selkie
I mean, seriously, people. This woman is 63.
She was gorgeous, but I would have loved to have seen her wearing diamond and ruby earrings instead of diamonds only.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 8:31:48 AM
Author: diamondfan
Diablo Cody was a former exotic dancer. She rocked her own look which is great. I am glad she won, the screenplay was adorable and I loved Juno. Oscar likes it quirkiness sometimes. Notice that not one big studio movie won big nor did one American take home an acting statuette? Pretty cool. I did think Clooney could do it for acting, he was superb...but DDL is always spot on.

I think Anne Hathaway has a winsome atypical beauty.

Hated Jessica Alba''s hairdo. Dumpy and old looking for a young girl.

I LOVED Amy Adams dark green dress and long wavey on the one side red hair. She looked great.
Just wondering what you meant by this comment DF?
33.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I think all the PR folks got drunk last night. My inbox at work is normally full of publicity photos the morning after an event like this. (Sometimes I even get photos in the middle of these things while I''m still at work.) This morning ... nothing.
39.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nan, I kinda don't get what you could be thinking I meant!? I liked that the voters did not play it safe, that they went outside of the box. I liked that Oscar was so international and gave superb performers from other countries nods. The Oscars is a very American thing, but it is watched by people all over the world. I just love that they were ackowledging the artists and performances without reference to nationality. A French girl winning for a movie about a French cabaret singer, maybe unknown to many Americans, a film which was not a huge commercial success? Javier Bardem, winning for an offbeat role as a serial killer, thanking his mom, an actress herself back in the day, in Spanish? I loved it. That was great to me. The two European singers from Once winning best song, it was so heartwarming to me. No offense to Menken and his partner, but that song was so lovely, and I did not think the Disney stuff was that special. I LIKE that the Oscars were about the performance and not what country someone was born in. They also gave awards to non big studio blockbusters and quirky performances and I think that is wonderful. Diablo Cody, being herself, having her movie be the only one that hit blockbuster status, this little indie movie, her first...that touched so many people...It shows that one does not have to fit one mold to get recognition from the Hollywood peers. I also LOVED when Hillary Swank won for Boys Don't Cry a few years ago. It was a tough film to watch, really controversial on one hand, but she was just so amazing in the role and I did fear that the subject matter would put off some of the more traditional Academy voters. Same when Charlize Theron won for Monster, another tough role. I love a great musical or Hollywood blockbuster like anyone, and we have some of the most incredible actors and movie makers in the world here in the US, but I am glad that it is not a closed society. I grew up with family in the industry and know a lot of stuff about what the community was like back in the day. I think that the evolution of things is a positive step.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
didn''t read the comments but did look at all the pictures! thanks for posting them!

movie zombie

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Not a fan at all of Nicole''s necklace ''it'' wore her rather than her wearing ''it''
Loved Hilary''s earrings so much
30.gif
30.gif
. If I had these babies I would''nt need a whole lot more!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG LOVED Helen Mirren - she is definitely one of my favorite actresses, and I thought she looked SMASHING. So hard to believe she''s 63
6.gif
23.gif

And I''m firmly in the "fan of Anne Hathaway" camp. I don''t think she looks stuck up at all, and I think she''s lovely looking in an unconventional way. Of course, I''m biased, because if there was ever a star that I might resemble a little bit it would be her
3.gif
Especially the coloring - its rare to see stars rocking the pale skin and dark features and hair, and so I always like to see that, it makes a nice contrast to all the bronzed starlets out there.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just watched the E fashion police show.

Mixed comments. No one liked Renee Z or Cameron D. They really hated the hair on some of the girls, hair that did not look done. Red dresses and one shouldered gowns were the hit of the night.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 8:29:18 PM
Nan, I kinda don't get what you could be thinking I meant!? I liked that the voters did not play it safe, that they went outside of the box. I liked that Oscar was so international and gave superb performers from other countries nods. The Oscars is a very American thing, but it is watched by people all over the world. I just love that they were ackowledging the artists and performances without reference to nationality. A French girl winning for a movie about a French cabaret singer, maybe unknown to many Americans, a film which was not a huge commercial success? Javier Bardem, winning for an offbeat role as a serial killer, thanking his mom, an actress herself back in the day, in Spanish? I loved it. That was great to me. The two European singers from Once winning best song, it was so heartwarming to me. No offense to Menken and his partner, but that song was so lovely, and I did not think the Disney stuff was that special. I LIKE that the Oscars were about the performance and not what country someone was born in. They also gave awards to non big studio blockbusters and quirky performances and I think that is wonderful. Diablo Cody, being herself, having her movie be the only one that hit blockbuster status, this little indie movie, her first...that touched so many people...It shows that one does not have to fit one mold to get recognition from the Hollywood peers. I also LOVED when Hillary Swank won for Boys Don't Cry a few years ago. It was a tough film to watch, really controversial on one hand, but she was just so amazing in the role and I did fear that the subject matter would put off some of the more traditional Academy voters. Same when Charlize Theron won for Monster, another tough role. I love a great musical or Hollywood blockbuster like anyone, and we have some of the most incredible actors and movie makers in the world here in the US, but I am glad that it is not a closed society. I grew up with family in the industry and know a lot of stuff about what the community was like back in the day. I think that the evolution of things is a positive step.

I think she thinks the same thing I thought before I read it again...

Anyway, when I first read it I thought you meant that you were happy that no Americans got awards, i.e., you dislike Americans. When I read it the second time I was able to see that you meant that you were happy that the awards went to who deserved them regardless of nationality. Just the way you phrased it implied something other than what you intended.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was late, and I was just praising the fact that things have evolved over time in this industry. I was viewing it as a positive inclusive thing not an anti American thing. That was the farthest thing from my mind, negative when I was being more open.

I felt that mostly all the performances were really deserving from the clips I saw. (I admit I did not see all the films). But I just felt really satisfied with the fact that it seemed the Oscars were given to performances that were a bit unique. All the nominees are talented. And I would have loved George Clooney to get win for his role, it seemed to be a great acting job. (He is sort of Cary Grantish to me and his roles are often more suave than hard hitting). Daniel Day Lewis won before, but they were really looking at this performance. There were some tough and not too likeable characters and these actors made it work. And so while I am as patriotic as they come, I was just happy to see that some of the old guard in Hollywood who make up the voting members, have, of late, and again last night, been willing to not go the safe or expected route. Our paper today in Philly made a huge point of mentioning that very same thing, that it was an international crew last night accepting statues, and films not backed by huge studio financing as well that really did well.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Oscars. I always look forward to the gowns and bling. I want Heidi Klum and Helen Mirren''s dresses. I''m so serious.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 11:12:03 PM
Just watched the E fashion police show.

Mixed comments. No one liked Renee Z or Cameron D. They really hated the hair on some of the girls, hair that did not look done. Red dresses and one shouldered gowns were the hit of the night.
I love this show, they crack me up with some of their comments.

Since I didn''t get to watch the Oscars this is where I caught most of the footage. I must say that I totally agreed with them on Renee and Cameron. Both of them so stunning too...it was a shame. But I actually liked Nicole''s necklace. In a picture not so much but as she was walking and you could see the movement and I thought that was very beautiful. I think the problem was that it was a very dramatic piece, over the top, and well Nicole is very proper and soft spoken so it didn''t look right. I''ve got to give her credit though, being pregnant and all, it really did take the conversation away from her tummy!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
777, remember when that girl Debby said Nicole''s necklace looked like diamonds threw up on her neck?

Kimora was actually nicer than I thought she might be. That guy Peter pretty much hated everything except Heidi Klum and Penelope Cruz and Kerri Russell. I actually thought the top of Kerri''s dress did not fit well at all.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 3:12:20 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Oscars. I always look forward to the gowns and bling. I want Heidi Klum and Helen Mirren''s dresses. I''m so serious.
9.gif

Katherine Heigl, Helen Mirren, and Amy Adams'' dresses (and complete looks in general) really stood out for me. I REALLY LOVE Hilary Swank''s earrings as well. Nicole Kidman''s necklace did nothing for me, and as someone mentioned, it looked too busy. I haven''t seen a lot of the movies nominated yet but I was happy for Diablo Cody.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 8:19:26 AM
777, remember when that girl Debby said Nicole''s necklace looked like diamonds threw up on her neck?

Kimora was actually nicer than I thought she might be. That guy Peter pretty much hated everything except Heidi Klum and Penelope Cruz and Kerri Russell. I actually thought the top of Kerri''s dress did not fit well at all.
Lol, I didn''t catch that, but I will say I wasn''t too thrilled with what they were wearing!

I thought it was hysterical when Kimora defended Andre Leon Talley for putting Jennifer Hudson in that hideous bolero last year, I''m still laughing at that!
And Peter never has anything good to say. I see where he comes from but I don''t always agree with much that comes out of his mouth.
I loved the show so much more when Joan and Melissa Rivers did it. I just have to take one look at Joan and start laughing, and she was funny too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
She said it at the end when they were picking the best and worst. They ALL hated DDL. He did look a bit disheveled to me but...

The general sense I got was skin color and dress commments, things not looking good on complexions, not enough make up or hair too casual, or dresses the were not flattering to figures. It seems people want the glamour, one of the people on the show said it looked like a couple of the stars went to play tennis, did not shower, and just put their hair up and put on some lip gloss. I would hate to get picked apart on television, and I certainly did not agree with all of their views, but I think we like it when we see the glam and the effort, this one day of the year.

I did not like J Hudson''s dress this year or last. The white one did not fit her bust. Also, though I think Jennifer Garner is stunning and I loved her makeup and bling, I did not disagree that she could have used some color. In the past she has worn some gorgeous colored gowns, and they brighten her up. Black is safe, but can be harsh too, and even a gorgeous navy or dark grey could have worked if she wanted to stay in the dark tones.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I thought it was funny because they did keep saying that they wanted to see color, glamour, etc... but then Peter shoots down Katherine Heigl for being all of the above saying he was tired of the "old Hollywood glamour" look. He just couldn''t make up his mind. Same went for Kelley Preston in that Canary Yellow #. Kimora said she was glad to have seen the color...just not on her... I felt like they contradicted themselves a bit too much. I did agree about Renee and Cameron 100% though. Like I said, it was a shame because they are both stunning and the dresses were all wrong, especially Renee''s, but they could have both used a hairbrush and some makeup for sure. It would have at least helped Cameron!

I actually really loved Jennifer Garners dress. I know black is safe, but I adored the way it was constructed. The bottom just looked liked it floated! Her walking out to present the first award was the only part of the Oscars that I caught and I just thought it was so timeless not to mention well designed!

I also did not like Jennifer Hudson''s look again this year. It fit worse in the back. Peter was funny though when he said there was just nothing she could do about it, it is what it is... But I have seen her look amazing, I just wouldn''t let Andre dress her again and I think she will be fine!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too loved the cut and style of Jennifer Garner''s dress, and I did not mind that is was black. I did see his point that it was a tad harsh on her skin.

As for the hosts of the fashion police, well, I saw their point here and there. Color is great, but you must take your skin tone and hair color etc into account. Not all shades of all colors work on all skin tones. I liked both Anne H and Katherine H in red, their reds were different from each other on my tv. KH''s looked more tomato and AH''s was a bit more cherry. And Helen Mirren''s was a bruy red to me, enhanced by the satin of the dress. Kelly Preston''s yellow-ish dress did not flatter her. It made her skin tone too yellow. I do believe certain colors pop on you and really bring out the good things in your coloring, while the wrong undertone can really wash you out. Some colors are tougher to wear. I have a friend with black hair, dark eyes and some olive in her skin. She looks amazing in orange. Me? I look like I am in liver failure. That and bright yellow look terrible on me, though I like those colors in general.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with you on coloring! One shade off can make a world of difference. I did like Kelley Preston''s dress but...again...the hair and makeup could have used a little work. I think if it were done right it could have helped her pull it off.

Another amazing red was Heidi Klum! Wow was that dress drama, and they loved it. I wasn''t so sure, I loved the top, but I wasn''t too crazy about the train thing on the bottom. She always looks so polished.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else read Go Fug Yourself? http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/.
HI-larious fashion commentary, they've got a section dedicated to Oscar fashions.

ETA: Warning: Very Snarky Attitudes (VSA) in the above-linked site

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great site Selkie!

Now, I know this isn''t exactly bling but I literally sighed when I saw this. I told my FI what I had seen and he just rolled his eyes.
9.gif

sigh.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Heeeee! Intern George! (that''s what the Fug Girls call him...running joke). Yeah. Colin Farrell needs to take style lessons from George. I just saw Michael Clayton the other night, and was so impressed with his acting.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mmmmmm, dashing comes to mind, no? I thought all of the acting was great in Michael Clayton but I didn''t like the movie at all.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really see him as our generation''s Cary Grant type. LOVE HIM.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 10:00:14 PM
I really see him as our generation''s Cary Grant type. LOVE HIM.
DF, he REALLY is. He''s got the looks, the confidence, the wry humor. I just saw "Operation Petticoat" and was thinking that despite my general dislike of movie remakes, I''d love to see George Clooney reprise one of his roles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results