shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommended PriceScope RBC proportions - project to establish some guidelines

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There being no great objections I propose this as is.
True that at the extremes lower girdle and star facets can be an issue, but since it is likely most people will stick to the green zone - for now I think the KISS rule should apply.
Next question - where should this sit so it is accessible?
1599808248669.png

I noticed on this latest version of your chart the 40.5° PA was changed to 40.4°. To me the obvious question is why isn't there a 40.2° option? Adding that option and explaining on the top line why it's not desirable might be informative.

I would also move the bottom line of the chart to be directly under the colored section. When I first looked at the chart I found myself wondering why certain table sizes were better for Earrings and Pendants!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I noticed on this latest version of your chart the 40.5° PA was changed to 40.4°. To me the obvious question is why isn't there a 40.2° option? Adding that option and explaining on the top line why it's not desirable might be informative.
I would also move the bottom line of the chart to be directly under the colored section. When I first looked at the chart I found myself wondering why certain table sizes were better for Earrings and Pendants!
I think most experts here would say this is going too far.
This was made with all locked on 40.2.

Can you explain what you mean by drawing on the chart please prs?
1599952331204.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
40.4 even with 36.5ca is pretty boarderline in itself.
it needs very long lgf% to avoid issues in a ring.
58+ tables are also an issue.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
40.4 even with 36.5ca is pretty boarderline in itself.
it needs very long lgf% to avoid issues in a ring.
58+ tables are also an issue.
As Karl has mentioned before -at the extreme combinations one needs to be more careful with lower and upper facet lengths as well as table sizes.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shooting a ray into the lower girdle facets with a very very shallow stone - now the lower girdles are black and the mains have gone red again - does this help PRS?
1599865669610.png

Garry, thank you for this very informative and interesting post. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I see it, with a constant CA of 34.5°, at a PA of 40.8° only the mains show obstruction, but as PA decreases below 40.4° both the mains and lowers show obstruction and the entire area under the table becomes dark. (Is this called a nail head?) As PA continues to decrease both facets remain dark until the mains start to come out the other side into the late Bruce Harding's "Area B" At this point we have the exact opposite effect where the mains are light and the lowers are dark!

BH Chart Diamond 2A.jpg

I'm not sure if 40.4° is the obstruction PA to be avoided no matter the CA, or if the obstruction PA varies along with CA.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry Garry, but I don't understand your question.

You wrote "I would also move the bottom line of the chart to be directly under the colored section. "

I don't know what your asking?

"When I first looked at the chart I found myself wondering why certain table sizes were better for Earrings and Pendants! "
Larger table sizes sacrifice fire a little for brightness. Brightness is the key to great looking earrings and pendants. It is hard to get great lighting for fire into earrings and pendants - in my experiance I see fire way more in rings because of the angles of common lighting incidence.
Also shallower diamonds are way more available in large table sizes.

Reactions: prs

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wish Bruce was still here to help explain, but great point Peter.
Consider these 2 videos
https://youtu.be/DsZ2yUxuThQ 39.2 to 41.2 pavilion variation locked on 57% 34.5
https://youtu.be/nmMRwuUip2Y
tilted
to show right eye view
Those videos are only valid at one small distance range; change the distance and it changes as does changing the size of the object doing the obstructing.
Put on a black cowboy hat and how your diamond looks changes.

Basically at ~40.45 degrees for the pavilion angle the distance from the viewer that the mains stay dark greatly increases then it reverses itself if you go even lower.
A steep crown angle can help a little and long lowers make the arrows smaller so its a smaller area that stays dark.

What is considered "ideal" for a near tolk h&a is dark arrows until about 1/2 arm length and then turn bright.
If they stay dark to far away they just make the diamond look dark.
An oec with the same response would look to dark up close due to the big mains.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, thank you for this very informative and interesting post. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I see it, with a constant CA of 34.5°, at a PA of 40.8° only the mains show obstruction, but as PA decreases below 40.4° both the mains and lowers show obstruction and the entire area under the table becomes dark. (Is this called a nail head?) As PA continues to decrease both facets remain dark until the mains start to come out the other side into the late Bruce Harding's "Area B" At this point we have the exact opposite effect where the mains are light and the lowers are dark!

BH Chart Diamond 2A.jpg

I'm not sure if 40.4° is the obstruction PA to be avoided no matter the CA, or if the obstruction PA varies along with CA.

Bruce Harding used 2D section simplification in his work Faceting limits 1975 year . He did not study raytracing in 3D model, he did not calculate any head obscuration for halves.
Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 09.28.08.png

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suppose that to comment on those proportions one would have to have seen lots of diamonds in each of those six combinations. Likely why you aren't getting much response from non trade prosumers.

I know AGS is highly regarded, and our super ideal vendors use them exclusively. An AGS "Ideal" cut grade is seen as a sign of perfection. So I wonder why their 2008 cut chart includes more "Ideal" combinations than Garry's chart.

Screenshot (60).png

Karl has told me that obstruction might be AGS's achilles heel, so maybe that explains the 40.4, 36.0-36.5 combos, but what about their PA 41.5 to 41.8 combinations? I'm no expert, as has been pointed out at great length in my OEC thread. :mrgreen2: Just trying to play Devil's advocate and hoping to learn something.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suppose that to comment on those proportions one would have to have seen lots of diamonds in each of those six combinations. Likely why you aren't getting much response from non trade prosumers.

I know AGS is highly regarded, and our super ideal vendors use them exclusively. An AGS "Ideal" cut grade is seen as a sign of perfection. So I wonder why their 2008 cut chart includes more "Ideal" combinations than Garry's chart.

Screenshot (60).png

Karl has told me that obstruction might be AGS's achilles heel, so maybe that explains the 40.4, 36.0-36.5 combos, but what about their PA 41.5 to 41.8 combinations? I'm no expert, as has been pointed out at great length in my OEC thread. :mrgreen2: Just trying to play Devil's advocate and hoping to learn something.

AGS over does obstruction - and in their images showing hearts they over over do it.
they use some silly US military vision distance - I think 8 inches as the obscuration test.

Dropping down to the crown angle that sits with 41.8 and 41.9 degree pavilions is risky for chipping girdles.
Diamonds cut to those proportions tend almost always to have thinner girdles and when appraising ones that have been worn for a decade or more we see around half of them have chipped or abraded girdles.
Those diamond usually come from sawn tops.
They can be even brighter for pendants and earrings, but generations later will end up in rings - they are not forever :(

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AGS over does obstruction - and in their images showing hearts they over over do it.
they use some silly US military vision distance - I think 8 inches as the obscuration test.

Dropping down to the crown angle that sits with 41.8 and 41.9 degree pavilions is risky for chipping girdles.
Diamonds cut to those proportions tend almost always to have thinner girdles and when appraising ones that have been worn for a decade or more we see around half of them have chipped or abraded girdles.
Those diamond usually come from sawn tops.
They can be even brighter for pendants and earrings, but generations later will end up in rings - they are not forever :(

OK, that's news to me, but now I understand. My wife's diamond has a very thin-medium girdle (2.5%) :eek-2: :eek-2: :eek-2:

However your excellent explanation is not self evident from the chart. Maybe it might be a good idea to add a girdle thickness line. At least that thickness is staring the consumer in the face on every GIA cert, and it will be much easier for them to determine if they have a potential problem.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, that's news to me, but now I understand. My wife's diamond has a very thin-medium girdle (2.5%) :eek-2: :eek-2: :eek-2:

However your excellent explanation is not self evident from the chart. Maybe it might be a good idea to add a girdle thickness line. At least that thickness is staring the consumer in the face on every GIA cert, and it will be much easier for them to determine if they have a potential problem.

GIA's grading system is great for girdle thickness under 10ct diamonds Peter.
Very few people are buying less than XXX that come here.
I am very happy if they drop down to VG X X for the left side of the chart - it is only if they drop to GXX or FXX that there will be a problem, and I think those buyers are all shopping in Mauls.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have any preferences?
1599434077796.png

Are you asking about a preference for a facet pattern?

Yes - for the best range - not too fat - too much darkness, not too little - less fire and less bang bang sparkle,
A range

Garry, DW and I have found that our perception of beautiful facet patterns sometimes changes when we switch from close up to life size view.

MRB Facet Pattern PriceScope Garry 25%.png

In this life size view we prefer the stronger, more bold patterns towards the left hand side of your chart. Perhaps it's because our eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. =)2

Super-late replying here!

I was going to say that some of the patterning on the left hand side of the chart is appealing to my eyes, and prs's comment was far more astute than I was going to be! :lol:

Are we excluding them because GIA Excellent limits LGFs to 75-80%? (Well, with GIA rounding... ;-) :lol: )

If dropping to GIA VG X X (or whatever the order would be) would mean being able to get one of those left-hand-side pattens (and at a lower price than GIA XXX) it would cover the scenario where some buyers desire to aim lower than GIA XXX (because of budget/4Cs confilcts) and 'validate' their aims as being perfectly acceptable, as well as help widen the options available for recommendation on here, which IIRC both you and Serg have said should happen :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Super-late replying here!

I was going to say that some of the patterning on the left hand side of the chart is appealing to my eyes, and prs's comment was far more astute than I was going to be! :lol:

Are we excluding them because GIA Excellent limits LGFs to 75-80%? (Well, with GIA rounding... ;-) :lol: )

If dropping to GIA VG X X (or whatever the order would be) would mean being able to get one of those left-hand-side pattens (and at a lower price than GIA XXX) it would cover the scenario where some buyers desire to aim lower than GIA XXX (because of budget/4Cs confilcts) and 'validate' their aims as being perfectly acceptable, as well as help widen the options available for recommendation on here, which IIRC both you and Serg have said should happen :)
OhYes Shiny,
I was promoting this idea for many years when GIA first bought out their cut grade (6 years after HCA and pretty much a dead copy look tables up method).
But so many people howled me down. Not worth the fight.
This works really well for pendants and earrings.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OhYes Shiny,
I was promoting this idea for many years when GIA first bought out their cut grade (6 years after HCA and pretty much a dead copy look tables up method).
But so many people howled me down. Not worth the fight.
This works really well for pendants and earrings.

Thanks for the confirmation, Garry!

I shall note it for future search usage :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Screenshot (60).png

Hey prs,

May I ask if you have a link to the AGS charts like those in your post?

I and @act1980 have been looking for them in another thread :)

Thank yoooou!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There being no great objections I propose this as is.
True that at the extremes lower girdle and star facets can be an issue, but since it is likely most people will stick to the green zone - for now I think the KISS rule should apply.
Next question - where should this sit so it is accessible?
1599808248669.png

Hi Garry,

Just coming back to this question in bold, could it be useful to add the table to the HCA results page?

@act1980 has highlighted in another thread today that it is perhaps not clear whether the HCA tool is giving results for a stone that PS would usually recommend, (e.g. the green boxes and the yellow boxes in your table) or whether it is just confirming that the C/P angles do work together but other options might be preferred by the buyer (in terms of Fire or whatever).

Perhaps having the table on the results page somewhere, and somehow showing where the stone being analysed fits within it, would help HCA users understand if they need to be looking for different angle combinations in the stones they are choosing to submit to the HCA tool?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry,

Just coming back to this question in bold, could it be useful to add the table to the HCA results page?

@act1980 has highlighted in another thread today that it is perhaps not clear whether the HCA tool is giving results for a stone that PS would usually recommend, (e.g. the green boxes and the yellow boxes in your table) or whether it is just confirming that the C/P angles do work together but other options might be preferred by the buyer (in terms of Fire or whatever).

Perhaps having the table on the results page somewhere, and somehow showing where the stone being analysed fits within it, would help HCA users understand if they need to be looking for different angle combinations in the stones they are choosing to submit to the HCA tool?

Interesting idea OShiny!
The further from the green you are the more you are giving up one benefit and the more of the other benefit(s) you are gaining.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting idea OShiny!
The further from the green you are the more you are giving up one benefit and the more of the other benefit(s) you are gaining.

I think something to help understanding of the trade-offs could be a great addition :))

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey prs,

May I ask if you have a link to the AGS charts like those in your post?

I and @act1980 have been looking for them in another thread :)

Thank yoooou!

I got the 2008 charts from the AGS website, but currently I can only find the 2005 version. However here's a LINK to another site that has them. They are in pdf format.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the 2008 charts from the AGS website, but currently I can only find the 2005 version. However here's a LINK to another site that has them. They are in pdf format.

Thank you very much! :))

@act1980 - prs' link is what you were looking for.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
I have to admit that I'm still confused about table sizes. How is a larger table not good if both the crown and pavilion come within the ideal range?

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I have to admit that I'm still confused about table sizes. How is a larger table not good if both the crown and pavilion come within the ideal range?

I think because you see less of the facets, but don't quote me on that

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Upper Girdle Facets and the Star Facets that sit between the Table and the Girdle split light exiting the stone into rainbow fans - which is dispersion, which creates 'fire' when your pupil only sees one colour in that rainbow fan.

The larger the table, the smaller the facets that do this, therefore less fire is produced/seen..

The lower the crown, the more light exits the stone perpendicular to the UGFs/Star facets, meaning it is not split into rainbow fans / fire, meaning less fire is produced / seen.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
The Upper Girdle Facets and the Star Facets that sit between the Table and the Girdle split light exiting the stone into rainbow fans - which is dispersion, which creates 'fire' when your pupil only sees one colour in that rainbow fan.

The larger the table, the smaller the facets that do this, therefore less fire is produced/seen..

The lower the crown, the more light exits the stone perpendicular to the UGFs/Star facets, meaning it is not split into rainbow fans / fire, meaning less fire is produced / seen.

Thanks for that, makes sense! Is there an optimum table size then?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results