shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend a custom jeweler/designer for me....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

archangel

Rough_Rock
hey everyone, thanks for all the help with the diamond selection. i need help with a setting now.

please recommend me someone online or in NY who is very good in workmanship and price.

thanks..

i know about Quest jewelers but any others?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many, it depends on what you are looking for. But the best price usually doesn't equate to the best workmanship, so make sure you see finished pieces from anyone you choose that hasn't been vetted by PS members.

Some reliable people that do great work:

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct's prices are usually very good and he does beautiful work.

Maytal Hannah is in LA but also does beautiful work.

Mark Morrell does very fluid beautiful stuff, he's in MA.

Leon Mege of course isn't necessarily the best price point (or the right designer for everyone), but his craftsmanship is impeccable.

Those are a few that come to mind immediately...

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 6:08:59 PM
Author: neatfreak
There are many, it depends on what you are looking for. But the best price usually doesn''t equate to the best workmanship, so make sure you see finished pieces from anyone you choose that hasn''t been vetted by PS members.

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct''s prices are usually very good and he does beautiful work.

Mark Morrell does very fluid beautiful stuff, he''s in MA.

Leon Mege of course isn''t necessarily the best price point (or the right designer for everyone), but his craftsmanship is impeccable.

ERD outsources and so does Leon on much of hhis work now. it can make the process problematic for many reasons. Mark Morrell is probably a good bet in this area

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 9:28:31 PM
Author: bgray

There are many, it depends on what you are looking for. But the best price usually doesn''t equate to the best workmanship, so make sure you see finished pieces from anyone you choose that hasn''t been vetted by PS members.

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct''s prices are usually very good and he does beautiful work.

Leon Mege of course isn''t necessarily the best price point (or the right designer for everyone), but his craftsmanship is impeccable.

ERD outsources and so does Leon on much of hhis work now. it can make the process problematic for many reasons. Mark Morrell is probably a good bet in this area
Leon Mege states on his website, "All work is done on premises by the team of highly skilled artisans. We do not outsource any work to subcontractors and other shops. Leon is personally supervising every piece of jewelry made in the shop and spends a lot of time training new jewelers."

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 9:57:01 PM
Author: swingirl

Leon Mege states on his website, ''All work is done on premises by the team of highly skilled artisans. We do not outsource any work to subcontractors and other shops. Leon is personally supervising every piece of jewelry made in the shop and spends a lot of time training new jewelers.''
this is not true and i know this for a fact. he was forced to go outside when his business exploded about 4 years years ago................

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just because it''s outsourced doesn''t mean that they don''t do a good job...it depends on whether the OP wants a "designer" or a skilled bench person to execute a design idea.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
NEATFREAK "Just because it''s outsourced doesn''t mean that they don''t do a good job...it depends on whether the OP wants a "designer" or a skilled bench person to execute a design idea"

Of course --I agree. I said that because working closely with someone on a custom design can be more cumbersome if the work is being done elsewhere. Thats what happened with my project with LM.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
We have selected to use Maytal Hannah but considered all the others mentioned in this thread. Although she isn''t in NY, we haven''t had a problem communicating with her. She has been very responsive, accomadating and sweet. I can''t comment on her work yet but she has many happy customers on PS. Her price was very competitive and she seems to have more time for us compared to the others.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash.

I win.
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 2:52:30 AM
Author: somehowcollide
Whiteflash.

I win.
36.gif
Ha ha lol, beat me to it!
For price and ease to work with on custom, its hard to beat Whiteflash imo.

archangel

Rough_Rock
the design that i liked was from whiteflash but i had my own modifications for it...

i think they said it was too close to their original.. i liked their champagne design. i modified the prongs which i figured was bout 20% of the design but i guess not. i got a quote from Quest jewelers for my modifications on the ering and her band. He quoted me $1500 for the ering and $1200 for the band.. which is a domed band with a scattered pattern of diamonds... all in satin finish and platinum.

i will try maytal hannah and mark from engagement rings direct on monday. i have a feeling that that mark morrell and leon is gonna charge alot more. how is marks morrell''s pricing? is it competitive with quest?

thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 10:13:28 AM
Author: archangel

i will try maytal hannah and mark from engagement rings direct on monday. i have a feeling that that mark morrell and leon is gonna charge alot more. how is marks morrell''s pricing? is it competitive with quest?

thanks

Well, it sounds like you want a benchperson. Leon and Mark M. are both artists and probably are not good choices for someone who knows exactly what they want and how they want it unless your aesthetic matches theirs.

And yes, Mark M. is usually more expensive than others because as I said he''s a designer.

archangel

Rough_Rock
yes i have done alots of photoshop work and i know exactly what i want. so a benchperson, who would be a good choice for both price and work?

1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 12:12:46 PM
yes i have done alots of photoshop work and i know exactly what i want. so a benchperson, who would be a good choice for both price and work?

1.gif

Yes. A GOOD benchperson!
2.gif
Which IMO is exactly what Mark at Engagement Rings Direct has. I am very happy with my ring which was custom made to my specifications by one of Mark's benches.

I have also heard good things about Quest too though.

archangel

Rough_Rock
i will call him tomorrow and see what he can do..

has anyone gotten their stuff mark and have some pics?

Thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 6:43:14 PM
i will call him tomorrow and see what he can do..

has anyone gotten their stuff mark and have some pics?

Thanks

The ring in my avatar is custom by Mark @ ERD. There are MANY gorgeous rings on this forum that were made by him. Do a search for ERD custom or some variation of that and I am sure you''ll have hours of fun!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have scoured 47th street (including jewellers who are not on the street level) and have not found anyone better than Leon Mege. In my opinion, he''s very fairly priced for the quality he delivers.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 6:52:41 PM
Author: Harriet
I have scoured 47th street (including jewellers who are not on the street level) and have not found anyone better than Leon Mege. In my opinion, he''s very fairly priced for the quality he delivers.

True, but the OP already knows exactly what he wants and how he wants it, thus I think Leon may not be the best choice for him in this situation...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon is receptive to innovation. My Tsavorite ring, for example, was not designed by him and he enjoyed the engineering puzzle that it posed. I've also brought him other designs which he was happy to execute.

archangel

Rough_Rock
since cost is a huge consideration, and what i know of leon from this forun, he might not be tha way to go... is there another place like Quest jewelers in NY with similar policy like free replacement of the melee stones and free ring resizing.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Leon is inconsistent at best both to deal with and the end result. may i suggest mctiegue and mcclelland. based out of barrington ma but they have a nyc office. best quality you will ever see. tremendous to work with--creative but no ego and very reasonable

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 7:18:44 PM
Leon is receptive to innovation. My Tsavorite ring, for example, was not designed by him and he enjoyed the engineering puzzle that it posed. I''ve also brought him other designs which he was happy to execute.

Innovation yes. But what the OP wants is basically a slightly modified Whiteflash Champagne ring. From what I have seen and heard Leon hates nothing more than the word replica, which is really what the OP wants...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
bgray,
I''ve honestly never found Leon inconsistent as a person or a jeweller.

neatfreak,
True, true.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 9:21:48 PM
since cost is a huge consideration, and what i know of leon from this forun, he might not be tha way to go... is there another place like Quest jewelers in NY with similar policy like free replacement of the melee stones and free ring resizing.
archangel,
Try: http://www.vanguard-jewelry.com/ The work is done by a father-and-son pair who used to be benchmen at Tiffany (a friend who worked at Tiffany verified that). Their work and prices are good.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 11:09:45 PM
bgray,
I''ve honestly never found Leon inconsistent as a person or a jeweller.

neatfreak,
True, true.
that may be your experience and thats great but there are many here who have had negative experiences as well.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
And many who have had positive experiences. Let''s not turn this into a thread about Leon. We''re here to help archangel.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i said what i said based on her needs. (and i felt he didnt fit her needs) you kept responding.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I disagreed with you on the subject of Leon exactly once. I recommended Leon to archangel until he/she said that he/she did not want to work with him, and then I provided the name of another jeweller.

Archangel,
Vanguard does not mind replicating another party''s design.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say both Vanguard and McTeigue & McClelland work is beautiful (at least on their website). I just went to droll at their websites. Vanguard work is so delicate and feminine. McTeigue & McClelland work is so creative and artistic. It is too bad we don''t hear about them as often on PS.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 1:04:48 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I just wanted to say both Vanguard and McTeigue & McClelland work is beautiful (at least on their website). I just went to droll at their websites. Vanguard work is so delicate and feminine. McTeigue & McClelland work is so creative and artistic. It is too bad we don''t hear about them as often on PS.

M&M does beautiful work.

They''ve been featured in quite a few high-end fashion mags (W likes their pieces). Here''s a 2005 NY Times article about small boutique jewelers that includes references to M&M (you might have to sign in to read the piece).
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/27/fashion/thursdaystyles/27GEMS.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results