shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-styling a diamond ring, maybe adding a new Ruby?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm looking for design ideas, as my husband is keen for me to re-set his mother's old engagement ring so that I will wear it (as a RHR) more often, I like the idea too! This is taking priority over anything else I've been planning!
We've both decided it should be set with a Ruby and preferably with the gold reused in the new ring.
The old ring is a traditional three stone diamond ring, centre 0.25ct White and eye clean, the outer two diamonds are @ 0.15ct each and I believe the same quality.

Ive considered another three stone, using two diamonds and adding a Ruby but that would mean using the larger stone for something else, but I'm not sure about splitting them up. The best idea so far is of a five stone using the old three and adding another new matched diamond and a Ruby, I quite like this idea but have no idea as to what shape of Ruby to choose. Probably not a round though!

Does anyone have any images of a ring like this, with any shape of Ruby?
I'd love some better suggestions for what to do with it, while keeping the three diamonds together, I'm open to adding a few more if needs be.

Thank you.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! What a special project. A 5 stone ring sounds like a great idea. Or a 3 stone and turn the larger stone into an elegant pendant.
Can you post a pic of the current ring?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Acinom, Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
Here's a photo, it's not good as it's night here and I can't get the gadget to focus properly, it's a very pretty twinkling ring IRL (please excuse my seriously rough hands)!
At the moment I'm thinking I'd prefer to keep them together, but a pendant is worth considering, if I did I think I'd have to halo it or something as its a 0.25ct centre stone.

Do you know of any images of five stone rings where the centre is a ruby?
Thank you.

_1543.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm, cannot really find a 5-stone with ruby center...
The current setting looks great on your hand in terms of dimensions. A 5 stone will look great as well.

_1544.jpeg

_1545.jpeg

_891.png

_1546.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Acinom, they are beautiful rings and it's very kind of you to find the photos for me. I particularly like the first two you posted, I love the cushion shaped Mege Ruby. I think scale is going to be important, I'm not sure if my finger could manage a cushion with two pairs of side stones..but the jeweller will be able to tell surely...I do like it!

Thank you Lovedogs, that ring is stunning! It's playing the five stones 'the other way' to what I was initially thinking of, I thought that arrangement would look like an eternity ring..but in that image it doesn't. It might be more affordable too, two smaller Rubies instead of one large one, could be good!

Thank you both so much for helping.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 5 stone ring idea adding 2 rubies between your three diamonds. I think that would look fabulous.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
So glad that lovedogs posted an example of a 5 stone with 2 rubies. It will be easier and more affordable to find a pair of 3.5 to 4 mm rubies than a larger center stone ruby. Also this way you get to keep all of the original diamonds.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I think it's a great idea to add to rubies which enables you to use the same diamonds. I love the look!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1452989336|3976982 said:
I like the 5 stone ring idea adding 2 rubies between your three diamonds. I think that would look fabulous.

I agree, and would maybe consider rubies in a different shape than round ... e.g., maybe baguettes that would appear like vertical "bars" between the diamonds. I have some loose diamonds and bag rubies that I can take a picture of to show what I mean. Will post them after bit.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will check back tonight for pictures. The baguette rubies sound like a great idea.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Goodness! It's been ages as I'd forgotten that I'd posted this...I'm so sorry for not thanking everyone for their kind input.
Thank you Marcy, Sungura, Acinom, JoCoJenn and Pregarious.
JoCoJenn, if you still have the loose diamonds and baguette Rubies you mentioned I'd love to see a photo.

I keep revisiting this ring and what to do with it, because I'm working on another project at the moment I took this ring along with me and the jeweller said they are great very bright and white diamonds...which Is great as I'd always thought they were as they flash and twinkle like mad in all lights and are whiter than my own engagement ring.

The jeweller thinks two rubies set between them is definitely the way to go,but I do think he tends to be rather conventional/traditional and I quite like the idea of being more modern and unusual while retaining the elegance. So any other suggestions would be interesting.

I don't know much about Rubies. So what do I need to consider when choosing Rubies?
He will get them in for me, but do I ask for certificates of any particular type and do I choose purely on their colour and how much I "love" them ?

Thank you for your help and the great images and links so far.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results