shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-sizing question...(not sure if this is the right forum!)

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

Not sure where to ask this, (please let me know if it should be in another forum) but I just got a quote for resizing a thin platinum semi-mount (2.5 mm band) and removing the diamond from one ring and setting into the platinum semi-mount and it seems high, would like some feedback if possible.

For resizing the platinum band, from a 5 to a 6 - is $150.00

To remove the diamond from one setting and resetting it into the platinum band is $170.00 - so $320.00 total? is this a decent price?

The prongs are all in good shape - may have to be tipped with the reset. I know platinum is more $ than gold - but this seems high to me. I have used this shop in the past as they do their work on site and I don't like having my things sent out for work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Re-sizing question...(not sure if this is the right foru

It sounds high for where I live, but I don't think it is out of the norm. Is the platinum band totally plain? If so, I would think sizing would be less. But really, if you trust the jeweler and know their bench work is very good, then it would be worth it to me.

Oh, and to answer your question, all posts about stones, settings, repairs, insurance, etc. go in Rocky Talky. This forum is to show off your jewelry in pictures.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Since there is most likely going to be platinum added to the ring in order to go from a size 5 to a 6, no the cost is not out of line. When the stone is swapped from one ring to another, the prongs may look like they're in great shape to you, but if the stone is a little bit larger than the head that is already there and you want to re-use it, the prongs will need the retipping so that the prongs can accommodate the stone, and new seats need to be cut so that the stone sits properly, plus cleaning and polishing the ring. The charge is definitely within the normal range.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for the info! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results