shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-cutting an 8.63 r b into an old cut

This was a few rings ago, but I had Single Stone cut my ideal H&A into an OEC and they were amazing. Here is the thread for reference:

Oh my goodness gracious!That is amazing! What a gorgeous diamond and setting.There is something about that cut that just gives me goosebumps! What size diamond did you start with and how much did you lose? Mine is also a tad yellow but will cutting make that more prominent or less? Or no change? I know a lot of older stones have a bit of color to them so with mine having color,it may look pretty with that cut.. Yours looks pristinely white!!!I have so many questions but I cannot thank you enough for showing me this ring! I am truly blown away!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness gracious!That is amazing! What a gorgeous diamond and setting.There is something about that cut that just gives me goosebumps! What size diamond did you start with and how much did you lose? Mine is also a tad yellow but will cutting make that more prominent or less? Or no change? I know a lot of older stones have a bit of color to them so with mine having color,it may look pretty with that cut.. Yours looks pristinely white!!!I have so many questions but I cannot thank you enough for showing me this ring! I am truly blown away!

Glad I could help resurface this! I haven’t been on here in SO long so maybe it was destiny that I checked back in! :)

I think I was one of the first people on PS to venture something like this. I really didn’t love that stone as an H&A, and when I went to Single Stone they made the suggestion. It terrified me, but I felt it was worth a shot. It was nowhere close to the size of yours - it was 8.8mm.

I lost very, very little weight, and it was all from the underside. There was no impact to the spread / visual size whatsoever. The stone looked so, SO much better as an OEC. The warmth really suited it!

I would 100% trust Single Stone to do this job if you decide it’s the direction you want to go. They were truly amazing and their work is phenomenal. Settings are pricey there but so gorgeous. I was also the world’s most annoying customer and they were so patient with me the entire time!

I ended up trying out two different SS settings and then went to the Victor Canera halo that’s in my avatar. I’m now in the market for a larger old cut, a real antique stone this time!

Keep us posted re: what you decide!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Glad I could help resurface this! I haven’t been on here in SO long so maybe it was destiny that I checked back in! :)

I think I was one of the first people on PS to venture something like this. I really didn’t love that stone as an H&A, and when I went to Single Stone they made the suggestion. It terrified me, but I felt it was worth a shot. It was nowhere close to the size of yours - it was 8.8mm.

I lost very, very little weight, and it was all from the underside. There was no impact to the spread / visual size whatsoever. The stone looked so, SO much better as an OEC. The warmth really suited it!

I would 100% trust Single Stone to do this job if you decide it’s the direction you want to go. They were truly amazing and their work is phenomenal. Settings are pricey there but so gorgeous. I was also the world’s most annoying customer and they were so patient with me the entire time!

I ended up trying out two different SS settings and then went to the Victor Canera halo that’s in my avatar. I’m now in the market for a larger old cut, a real antique stone this time!

Keep us posted re: what you decide!
I can't thank you enough for chiming in! I just finished reading through your whole thread and the recut thread. I am amazed. This is a family piece and I would wear it as a right hand ring or a pendant. I wear mostly antique family jewelry pieces so I thought this diamond would look really pretty recut to look older and set in something antique style My wedding diamond was upgraded for my 30th anniversary .I love it although it is not an antique cut. It is a r b, H and A,GIA 3 x excellent, G color, SI1 and 10cts.I found an artist on here that is currently making me an antique style setting.I hope it will look like I expect. He had an inspiration piece,stunning and my dream piece but the diamond in that setting was 3.5 carats smaller and he said he needed to make my setting beefier to give it more presence and larger side stones.,a larger version for my diamond. I am nervous and hope it looks like the drawing. He said he would absolutely redo it if I do not like it. I had never heard of most of the artists on here but I am so glad I found this place when I googled for a setting and a recut on the family diamond .Nothing to try on,or feel on my hand which is scaring me but I have to trust it. I will post pictures if I am thrilled .I am a few weeks out still. I will work on this recut in the mean time and will reach out to the referrals I have received on here. Thank you again for all your help and insight. Fingers crossed !.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I can't thank you enough for chiming in! I just finished reading through your whole thread and the recut thread. I am amazed. This is a family piece and I would wear it as a right hand ring or a pendant. I wear mostly antique family jewelry pieces so I thought this diamond would look really pretty recut to look older and set in something antique style My wedding diamond was upgraded for my 30th anniversary .I love it although it is not an antique cut. It is a r b, H and A,GIA 3 x excellent, G color, SI1 and 10cts.I found an artist on here that is currently making me an antique style setting.I hope it will look like I expect. He had an inspiration piece,stunning and my dream piece but the diamond in that setting was 3.5 carats smaller and he said he needed to make my setting beefier to give it more presence and larger side stones.,a larger version for my diamond. I am nervous and hope it looks like the drawing. He said he would absolutely redo it if I do not like it. I had never heard of most of the artists on here but I am so glad I found this place when I googled for a setting and a recut on the family diamond .Nothing to try on,or feel on my hand which is scaring me but I have to trust it. I will post pictures if I am thrilled .I am a few weeks out still. I will work on this recut in the mean time and will reach out to the referrals I have received on here. Thank you again for all your help and insight. Fingers crossed !.

Oh my gosh that sounds amazing! I can’t wait to see the pics! What amazing pieces you have to work with… They will be beautiful no matter what!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Random tease - www , these good people know old cuts & make them all the time very well, worth taking a look.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Random tease - www , these good people know old cuts & make them all the time very well, worth taking a look.
Wow AV_! Absolutely gorgeous. So they recut as well? Twosanguinehearts mentioned singlestone and I've jotted down these folks and two others referred here. I am hoping I can get some positive info without losing too much diamond.Traveling today but I will check back in later today.Thanks everyone! I am so grateful for the wealth of information so many of you are willing to share!I love having all these new websites to visit and look at such beautiful things. None of this can be found in retail stores and I am not a fan of cookie cutter jewelry.I am on learning overload!

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would ask about recut or trade against another diamond of your choice.

-

[I am extremely curious about the potential recut! I.e., I know only so much to be curious about a cuter's opinion - which requires their having the stone & perhaps some cost as it is a substantial consultaion, etc.]

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Lykame! It took me a minute to figure out how to start a new thread but after going to Rocky Talk I figured it out. The stone is GIA certified but we cannot locate the certificate and we don't have a number for it. It was done many moons ago. The info was hand written down on an old piece of paper in the safe. Who knows where the document went. The color is M and the clarity grade is SI1 . The inclusions are tiny pinpoints so I am not sure if that would impact cutting. GIA would have to redo it and it is like over $800.00.I figured if I recut,I would spend the money then to get new paperwork on it.It is not insured because it lives in the safe except when I pull it out to look at it.I don't mind the stone as is but I love the old chunky, pillowy look of the old diamonds..I have other family stones,much smaller, old mine cut 1.31 vs I color set in a ring ,and old European cut 1.37 vvs1 G color and a transitional 3.35 G SI1 also in a ring . Additionally,two have gone to my daughters for their engagement rings. Some smaller in necklaces and a platinum pin with lots of old cut stones I only wear in the winter.

As far as willingness of loss of the diamond weight,I would have to have someone tell me what I am looking at. Since I do not understand the nitty gritty of how diamonds are cut, I have no clue how they do it..

I am trying to read other threads and learn more about different things on here.Thanks for the info on other threads. So much to see and read , it is overwhelming.I went to the safe and pulled out one of the shelves for you and took pic.I'll try and get you some more pics of this diamond we are chatting about when I return from dinner this evening.These are family pieces I love and wear. There are others and of course ,some that I will never wear because they are not my style.Now perhaps one can understand why I want this diamond redone, to go with my other pieces.I would then want an old setting,too! 20200627_162959.jpg

:oops2: thud!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I would ask about recut or trade against another diamond of your choice.

-

[I am extremely curious about the potential recut! I.e., I know only so much to be curious about a cuter's opinion - which requires their having the stone & perhaps some cost as it is a substantial consultaion, etc.]
Agreed. I have absolutely no idea how cutting works.I will report back.I may keep it as is and figure out how to wear it.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there are hard set rules about how recutting is priced, what guarantees are given etc. - all is to be said & done between you and the relevant company.

-

Perhaps relevant: one company notorious around here offers details of a related service - cutting to order from rough they source, as opposed to any material owned by the buyer: www , I wouldn't venture to guess what difference does this make! They do some very fine modern round brilliants & nothing else. I see no risk left to the buyer in this process.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
May I say you most likely earned yourself a place in PS hall of fame? Well, actually I am sure you just did. And I think I had a heart attack but never mind because your collection is to die for!!! I cannot even begin to comment on the history, the stones, the artistry of the pieces. Your Avatar collier, your dangle earrings and most defo that pearl ring made my heart stop beating, that ring have I mentioned that pearl ring? I am not easily getting over your collection. Huge congrats and please please we do want to see pix!!! And did I read that right? A 10 ct round in your engagement ring? Have I mentioned photos pretty please??? :kiss2::love::pray:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
May I say you most likely earned yourself a place in PS hall of fame? Well, actually I am sure you just did. And I think I had a heart attack but never mind because your collection is to die for!!! I cannot even begin to comment on the history, the stones, the artistry of the pieces. Your Avatar collier, your dangle earrings and most defo that pearl ring made my heart stop beating, that ring have I mentioned that pearl ring? I am not easily getting over your collection. Huge congrats and please please we do want to see pix!!! And did I read that right? A 10 ct round in your engagement ring? Have I mentioned photos pretty please??? :kiss2::love::pray:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am doing cartwheels with all this new found information, I had no idea was out there. So many amazing jewelry artists that I have never heard of .I did inherit a beautiful collection of antique jewelry and I love Art Deco and Edwardian the most. The Avatar necklace is the one of the oldest I received, along with a few other pieces, same age, in need of some TLC. Looking for a jeweler that can set stones and repair fragile, old pieces.

Yes,for our 30th Anniversary , we exchanged special pieces, each to the other. I received the diamond and a setting of my choice, which is currently being made by an artist I found right here. I wear my antique jewelry and I wanted a special and unique setting for the new diamond. I gave my Hubby a beautiful Rolex watch, which looks very handsome on him. This was a very special and rare occasion for both of us .I will post the diamond once it is in the setting .It is under construction as I type .I am so happy to be here and read and experience so many new things. There are not enough hours to see all that goes on here but I am intrigued by all the different topics of discussions.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
A quick update on the 8 + carat ,MIL diamond. When we picked up my new engagement ring from Steven last week ,I showed him the 8+ diamond and he told me NOT to recut. Yoram does not cut diamonds that are not his:( SingleStone said yes, he can do it but Lord, it is pricey. Steven has a person he uses that was extremely reasonable but as stated, Steven really discourages me from doing so .I guess for now ,I will put her back in the safe and do nothing. I did post the new ring in" Show me the Bling" forum. Not sure if that was the right place but I am new at this .I do know Steven will be creating some more pieces for me! I am still blown away at his talent. I am forever grateful to P S for the wealth of info on here. Steven will always be, My Cherry on Top !

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick update on the 8 + carat ,MIL diamond. When we picked up my new engagement ring from Steven last week ,I showed him the 8+ diamond and he told me NOT to recut. Yoram does not cut diamonds that are not his:( SingleStone said yes, he can do it but Lord, it is pricey. Steven has a person he uses that was extremely reasonable but as stated, Steven really discourages me from doing so .I guess for now ,I will put her back in the safe and do nothing. I did post the new ring in" Show me the Bling" forum. Not sure if that was the right place but I am new at this .I do know Steven will be creating some more pieces for me! I am still blown away at his talent. I am forever grateful to P S for the wealth of info on here. Steven will always be, My Cherry on Top !

very interesting!
Out of curiosity
Did you ask to have it evaluated for recutting as in a
Tweak to change its facet pattern to something else you might enjoy
Or a total recut to MBR/OEC/OMC?

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
very interesting!
Out of curiosity
Did you ask to have it evaluated for recutting as in a
Tweak to change its facet pattern to something else you might enjoy
Or a total recut to MBR/OEC/OMC?

SingleStone was going to tweek the back of the diamond mostly and he said if sent to GIA ,it would not come back as a true OEC but it would look good .He also stated it would go down to a 8.20 or 8.10 at the smallest, which I thought not too bad. He also stated it would look whiter with the chunkier facets for sure. Yorum will not do and Steven did not show his guy but would if I insisted. When I see the recut that @twosanguinehearts did ,it really makes me want to do it and set in cushion shaped setting like she did .I absolutely love the flower pattern in some of the old cuts but I think I would lose a carat or so but I am not opposed to that, since I already have the diamond. I'll chew on it for a bit.

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I'm REALLY late to this thread, but if you NEVER wear this 8+ carat diamond and it is only rated GIA "Good" on polish and symmetry, which is not even a well cut stone, then by all means I would have it recut into an OEC.

To recut into a nicely performing OEC the Pavilion ANGLE needs to be at least 41, according to Jonathan at AugustVintageInc.; Now www.distinctivegem.com . Too bad you cannot find the original certification. Is the number not inscribed on the stone?? (You have only posted the pavilion percentage on the stats of this stone.). It is shallow but not too shallow to get a good result from a recut. I would also contact Jonathan about a recut. In the past, Yoram cut all his August Vintage ideal cut stones, but don't know who he is using now for cutting.

If it was recut into an OEC which means you would wear it, then by all means, recut the stone. Do you really care what the weight turns out to be if the recut makes it into a well cut, beautifully performing LARGE diamond? Cut is king and if the stone stays in the safe unworn, then what is the point of owning it?? 13mm stone is such a huge diamond on anyone's hand.

I vote recut into an OEC and WEAR IT!! What is it like $200-300 per carat to recut? Hope you change your mind. Would love to see the results of a recut on this nice huge diamond.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SingleStone was going to tweek the back of the diamond mostly and he said if sent to GIA ,it would not come back as a true OEC but it would look good .He also stated it would go down to a 8.20 or 8.10 at the smallest, which I thought not too bad. He also stated it would look whiter with the chunkier facets for sure. Yorum will not do and Steven did not show his guy but would if I insisted. When I see the recut that @twosanguinehearts did ,it really makes me want to do it and set in cushion shaped setting like she did .I absolutely love the flower pattern in some of the old cuts but I think I would lose a carat or so but I am not opposed to that, since I already have the diamond. I'll chew on it for a bit.

I would reach out to Jonathan at Distinctive Gem and try to talk him into recutting it to an August Vintage Round, understanding that you would lose weight and diameter, but the result would be stunning.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I'm REALLY late to this thread, but if you NEVER wear this 8+ carat diamond and it is only rated GIA "Good" on polish and symmetry, which is not even a well cut stone, then by all means I would have it recut into an OEC.

To recut into a nicely performing OEC the Pavilion ANGLE needs to be at least 41, according to Jonathan at AugustVintageInc.; Now www.distinctivegem.com . Too bad you cannot find the original certification. Is the number not inscribed on the stone?? (You have only posted the pavilion percentage on the stats of this stone.). It is shallow but not too shallow to get a good result from a recut. I would also contact Jonathan about a recut. In the past, Yoram cut all his August Vintage ideal cut stones, but don't know who he is using now for cutting.

If it was recut into an OEC which means you would wear it, then by all means, recut the stone. Do you really care what the weight turns out to be if the recut makes it into a well cut, beautifully performing LARGE diamond? Cut is king and if the stone stays in the safe unworn, then what is the point of owning it?? 13mm stone is such a huge diamond on anyone's hand.

I vote recut into an OEC and WEAR IT!! What is it like $200-300 per carat to recut? Hope you change your mind. Would love to see the results of a recut on this nice huge diamond.

I have waivered back and forth on what to do. I do not care what the weight is and yes, I love old cut diamonds a whole lot! Re-cutting it is what I will do if I keep it to wear . The paperwork is lost and no numbers on the diamond but notes with it with all the information I have shared. I was quoted $5,600 for recut and many wont re cut a diamond they do not own. I will post an update if I do anything with it. Thanks for the info. I have not been on in a while so I have a lot to catch up on. Can't wait to see all the pretties I have missed.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness that is expensive for a recut! I was surprised the quote was so high. But I’ve never had a stone recut before.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have waivered back and forth on what to do. I do not care what the weight is and yes, I love old cut diamonds a whole lot! Re-cutting it is what I will do if I keep it to wear . The paperwork is lost and no numbers on the diamond but notes with it with all the information I have shared. I was quoted $5,600 for recut and many wont re cut a diamond they do not own. I will post an update if I do anything with it. Thanks for the info. I have not been on in a while so I have a lot to catch up on. Can't wait to see all the pretties I have missed.

Southwest Diamond Cutters in Dallas have done re-cuts for many PSers with great results. I think they would be a lot less than $5600.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness that is expensive for a recut! I was surprised the quote was so high. But I’ve never had a stone recut before.

I thought so too.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am new at this and chimed into an old thread last night for my first post. Lykame suggested I post a new one and would hopefully get some much needed advice.I have an 8.63 round diamond .measures 13.48 x 13.65 x 7.82
Table is 59%
Depth 57.7%
Crown 33%
Pavillion 40.4%
Girdle v.thin - medium
culet vs
Good cut,good polish ,good symmetry
I LOVE old cut diamonds and would like to recut this one .I am hoping to find someone that can cut stones the old way. I am not sure if I will lose too much weight and end up with a much smaller stone .I have smaller old cut stones in various pieces of heirloom jewelry so I'd like to keep this as close to size as possible. I have no idea what it takes to recut diamonds but I would like to learn so I am ready to hear from anyone kind enough to give advice.I am posting a picture of mine and one of my inspiration cut.Diamondseeker2006 has an incredibly beautiful stone. She was on the last thread I posted on. 20200626_193000.jpg

OMFG! What a ring! I love it, I would love to sit for hours and just ogle your collection. Mine consists of a few self-designed pieces and stuff I have collected over the years and MANY loose gems but I adore your pieces, lucky lady.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
OMFG! What a ring! I love it, I would love to sit for hours and just ogle your collection. Mine consists of a few self-designed pieces and stuff I have collected over the years and MANY loose gems but I adore your pieces, lucky lady.

Thank you

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologize if someone else brought this up. (I didn't have time to read through the whole thread). Would it be less expensive to recut for a better performing MRB, and save for a right hand old cut?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah admittedly the diamond I had recut was only about 1.2 carats but it was like $100. Maybe $150. I was surprised by how cheap it was. But both Yoram and Singlestone are a LOT more expensive I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results