shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-cutting an 8.63 r b into an old cut

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Lykame! It took me a minute to figure out how to start a new thread but after going to Rocky Talk I figured it out. The stone is GIA certified but we cannot locate the certificate and we don't have a number for it. It was done many moons ago. The info was hand written down on an old piece of paper in the safe. Who knows where the document went. The color is M and the clarity grade is SI1 . The inclusions are tiny pinpoints so I am not sure if that would impact cutting. GIA would have to redo it and it is like over $800.00.I figured if I recut,I would spend the money then to get new paperwork on it.It is not insured because it lives in the safe except when I pull it out to look at it.I don't mind the stone as is but I love the old chunky, pillowy look of the old diamonds..I have other family stones,much smaller, old mine cut 1.31 vs I color set in a ring ,and old European cut 1.37 vvs1 G color and a transitional 3.35 G SI1 also in a ring . Additionally,two have gone to my daughters for their engagement rings. Some smaller in necklaces and a platinum pin with lots of old cut stones I only wear in the winter.

As far as willingness of loss of the diamond weight,I would have to have someone tell me what I am looking at. Since I do not understand the nitty gritty of how diamonds are cut, I have no clue how they do it..

I am trying to read other threads and learn more about different things on here.Thanks for the info on other threads. So much to see and read , it is overwhelming.I went to the safe and pulled out one of the shelves for you and took pic.I'll try and get you some more pics of this diamond we are chatting about when I return from dinner this evening.These are family pieces I love and wear. There are others and of course ,some that I will never wear because they are not my style.Now perhaps one can understand why I want this diamond redone, to go with my other pieces.I would then want an old setting,too! 20200627_162959.jpg

I'm dying slightly. These need at least one thread in The Show Me The Bling forum if you're able to. What a collection!

I feel like I would like to call the world in here... Who else would appreciate these goodies? @missy @mrs-b @yssie... Er... Everyone? :lol:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Lykame! It took me a minute to figure out how to start a new thread but after going to Rocky Talk I figured it out. The stone is GIA certified but we cannot locate the certificate and we don't have a number for it. It was done many moons ago. The info was hand written down on an old piece of paper in the safe. Who knows where the document went. The color is M and the clarity grade is SI1 . The inclusions are tiny pinpoints so I am not sure if that would impact cutting. GIA would have to redo it and it is like over $800.00.I figured if I recut,I would spend the money then to get new paperwork on it.It is not insured because it lives in the safe except when I pull it out to look at it.I don't mind the stone as is but I love the old chunky, pillowy look of the old diamonds..I have other family stones,much smaller, old mine cut 1.31 vs I color set in a ring ,and old European cut 1.37 vvs1 G color and a transitional 3.35 G SI1 also in a ring . Additionally,two have gone to my daughters for their engagement rings. Some smaller in necklaces and a platinum pin with lots of old cut stones I only wear in the winter.

As far as willingness of loss of the diamond weight,I would have to have someone tell me what I am looking at. Since I do not understand the nitty gritty of how diamonds are cut, I have no clue how they do it..

I am trying to read other threads and learn more about different things on here.Thanks for the info on other threads. So much to see and read , it is overwhelming.I went to the safe and pulled out one of the shelves for you and took pic.I'll try and get you some more pics of this diamond we are chatting about when I return from dinner this evening.These are family pieces I love and wear. There are others and of course ,some that I will never wear because they are not my style.Now perhaps one can understand why I want this diamond redone, to go with my other pieces.I would then want an old setting,too! 20200627_162959.jpg

What a truly magnificent collection! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
The 8.63 is a family stone? Would you mind telling us some history on it? Was it your grandmother’s or something?
Yes ,it was my husbands mothers. Most of what I have and wear came from my family, is really old and mostly all European .She had mostly newer jewelry and some old pieces from her mother.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I'm dying slightly. These need at least one thread in The Show Me The Bling forum if you're able to. What a collection!

I feel like I would like to call the world in here... Who else would appreciate these goodies? @missy @mrs-b @yssie... Er... Everyone? :lol:

Thank you Lykame. I love having pretty jewelry to wear and I especially cherish these family pieces and wear them .I have newer pieces from my hubby's mom besides the diamond we are chatting about but they just sit. Not sure what forum that is you mentioned but I will try and look tonight.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely vintage collection :))

I'm almost tempted to say that it might be better to consider selling the 8ct stone as-is and then commission a new, custom, old-style stone - there will always be a buyer for a large old stone!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
What a truly magnificent collection! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Lykame has helped me out today on how to post and start a new conversation, not to post in old threads.I had no idea there were so many things to talk about on here.Lots of really good info and jewelry artists etc I had no idea existed.I am hoping to find a jeweler on here too that can repair very old antique pieces of jewelry,replace missing stones etc that are extremely fragile..

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The show me the bling forum is just a subsection of Pricescope:

So is the pearls forum:

Basically lots and lots of entertainment and awe inspiring content!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock

I'm almost tempted to say that it might be better to consider selling the 8ct stone as-is and then commission a new, custom, old-style stone - there will always be a buyer for a large old stone!

OoohShiny, the thought literally makes me want to pass out .I am so grateful to everyone for the advice and referrals I have received here today. Monday morning ,I will check with the diamond cutters and report back.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

I would worry that on the second hand market she would lose a lot of value selling it although I understand your idea! She may not make the money to get what she could get with a recut. Depending on the cut she aims for and the fact she's looking at transitional she may be able to recut this one with not so great weight loss. I suspect even if she were to fall closer to eight carats (hopefully not below) buying a 'new' diamond at that weight would be... Er... I have no idea. A lot. :lol:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
OoohShiny, the thought literally makes me want to pass out .I am so grateful to everyone for the advice and referrals I have received here today. Monday morning ,I will check with the diamond cutters and report back.

We wait with baited breath.

Please keep us updated!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
The show me the bling forum is just a subsection of Pricescope:

So is the pearls forum:

Basically lots and lots of entertainment and awe inspiring content!

Lykame,I had no idea there would be so much to see and know. I came here initially looking for jewelry artists for settings for my wedding set diamond upgrade. I then returned to make my first post and ask about a recut on this diamond we are talking about today and it has turned in to a whole other discussion about other pieces some folks asked me about today .I am completely overwhelmed but I am determined to look at those other threads you have mentioned. Thanks again for all your help in navigating today .WHEW!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Lykame,I had no idea there would be so much to see and know. I came here initially looking for jewelry artists for settings for my wedding set diamond upgrade. I then returned to make my first post and ask about a recut on this diamond we are talking about today and it has turned in to a whole other discussion about other pieces some folks asked me about today .I am completely overwhelmed but I am determined to look at those other threads you have mentioned. Thanks again for all your help in navigating today .WHEW!

Honestly it's a pleasure. :)) Delighted to help.

mewing

Rough_Rock

Wow! That's some serious bling!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I would worry that on the second hand market she would lose a lot of value selling it although I understand your idea! She may not make the money to get what she could get with a recut. Depending on the cut she aims for and the fact she's looking at transitional she may be able to recut this one with not so great weight loss. I suspect even if she were to fall closer to eight carats (hopefully not below) buying a 'new' diamond at that weight would be... Er... I have no idea. A lot. :lol:
I don't need to purchase any more diamonds ,just looking to recut this one or perhaps leave it aloneThe whole reason I found this place was googling for a custom jeweler for hand made ring settings.I wanted old but could not find one so I am going for an antique replica.,even though my wedding diamond upgrade is not old cut. I found an artist on here after seeing a ring I loved on this website and will share it when it is completed.I am excited and nervous but if it turns out half as beautiful as the one I saw here,I'll be happy.I am thrilled I found this place, Thanks to all for being kind and super helpful.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond in @diamondseeker2006's avatar is an August Vintage Round. These stones are usually cut to a depth of about 67%, so to re-cut your diamond to those specs would result in severe weight loss.

Your diamond is very shallow compared to traditional old cuts, and relatively shallow compared to most transitional cuts. However there are one or two absolutely beautiful OECs here that have depths similar to yours, so there is hope you can re-cut without too much loss.

My advice would be to wait until you know much more about OEC facet patterns and the flavor you prefer. There are many threads here that discuss this very thing. You need to be a lot more educated before you let a cutter anywhere near your very valuable diamond!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not just sell that stone as is, then purchase an older cut style stone with proceeds? :think:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I think the diamond in @diamondseeker2006's avatar is an August Vintage Round. These stones are usually cut to a depth of about 67%, so to re-cut your diamond to those specs would result in severe weight loss.

Your diamond is very shallow compared to traditional old cuts, and relatively shallow compared to most transitional cuts. However there are one or two absolutely beautiful OECs here that have depths similar to yours, so there is hope you can re-cut without too much loss.

My advice would be to wait until you know much more about OEC facet patterns and the flavor you prefer. There are many threads here that discuss this very thing. You need to be a lot more educated before you let a cutter anywhere near your very valuable diamond!
Thank you,Peter. I had no idea that the older stones had patterns.i just knew there are many I am attracted to and others, not so much. I am overwhelmed with all the information I need to know, to make a decision on something I thought would be simple, I am in no hurry but knew I needed to start somewhere, so thank you for the advice.I just want to wave my magic wand and have it look like what I see in my mind.I know what I like I just don't understand all the moving parts needed to get there. I will keep researching here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh thank you @Lykame for calling my attention to this delicious thread. Beautiful antique bling ❤️ @Tinkybell. Wear in health and blingy joy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, what lovely pieces you have! Truly stunning pieces!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Tinkybell Fancy color pearls are never matched - it is impossible [judging by a century of so worth of harvestes piled up - not the sort of thing one forgets any detail of.] The necklace contains a serious collection of such pearls.

The pearl ring I might have dreamed about! Taffin made these sideways settings famous lately [eg. www], but there have always been 1900s examples around, just a few.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
@Tinkybell Fancy color pearls are never matched - it is impossible [judging by a century of so worth of harvestes piled up - not the sort of thing one forgets any detail of.] The necklace contains a serious collection of such pearls.

The pearl ring I might have dreamed about! Taffin made these sideways settings famous lately [eg. www], but there have always been 1900s examples around, just a few.

Thank you AV_. I do love pearls but do not know much about them. I especially love them with diamonds .I have strands of just pearl necklaces but two that I have are mixed with gold and one platinum. One with just tiny baby pearls and one that has baby pearls and other color stones.They are a bit long but I double/triple them and hang a brooch/pin from them usually .I'll post a picture but I maybe should be in th 20200628_112121.jpg 20200628_112313.jpg e pearl discussion.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I am assuming AV_ you are talking about this pearl ring. I did visit the link you mentioned with the sideways setting.Here are a few pictures of the pearl ring. It is a pretty color but has a blemish on the underside of it. I am not sure what it is 20200628_121148.jpg 20200628_121034.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The pearls in the first long chain necklace (pearls and platinum only) look very fine to me.

The pearl is the ring, looks startingly bright - extremely, likely why it was singled out for a ring despite any other detail; and this bright nacre is often associated with organic deposits which is what the spot might be; I am guessing based on having broken a few natural pearls with such details, but there is so much to see in them, not I, nor anyone could have seen everything.

_

ref. www - nb. the drop - bright & baroque, & the colors of pearls - perhaps pinctada [it is dicey to tell - a few attempts to make such identifications precise enough have not succeeded yet, mine included]; the same shop offers pearl chains like yours, they will know what it is.

@yssie

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, please please start a new thread in Show Me The Bling section, with lots of lovely detailed pictures of all your beautiful pieces! If you have the time, that would make a lot of PSers VERY happy!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I am assuming AV_ you are talking about this pearl ring. I did visit the link you mentioned with the sideways setting.Here are a few pictures of the pearl ring. It is a pretty color but has a blemish on the underside of it. I am not sure what it is 20200628_121148.jpg 20200628_121034.jpg

@Tinkybell, I don't spend a huge amount of time on the pearl forum (I'm scared of falling into that trap, which you learn on here is a slippery slope). However, that pearl's lustre is insane, I personally haven't seen anything like it for pearls in that range of shade. It's stunning. Stunning!

I agree with @Alex T. You would have an avid audience that's for sure.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
The pearls in the first long chain necklace (pearls and platinum only) look very fine to me.

The pearl is the ring, looks startingly bright - extremely, likely why it was singled out for a ring despite any other detail; and this bright nacre is often associated with organic deposits which is what the spot might be; I am guessing based on having broken a few natural pearls with such details, but there is so much to see in them, not I, nor anyone could have seen everything.

_

ref. www - nb. the drop - bright & baroque, & the colors of pearls - perhaps pinctada [it is dicey to tell - a few attempts to make such identifications precise enough have not succeeded yet, mine included]; the same shop offers pearl chains like yours, they will know what it is.

@yssie

Yes,AV_ the color of the drop you listed is quite similar. It is a crazy combination of bronzey,grey,pinkish.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, please please start a new thread in Show Me The Bling section, with lots of lovely detailed pictures of all your beautiful pieces! If you have the time, that would make a lot of PSers VERY happy!

Alex T.I keep hearing mention of that thread so I am going to take a few minutes and go there now to see what it is all about.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
@Tinkybell, I don't spend a huge amount of time on the pearl forum (I'm scared of falling into that trap, which you learn on here is a slippery slope). However, that pearl's lustre is insane, I personally haven't seen anything like it for pearls in that range of shade. It's stunning. Stunning!

I agree with @Alex T. You would have an avid audience that's for sure.
Lykame,I am going to check out that thread and the bling thread this afternoon.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I am new at this and chimed into an old thread last night for my first post. Lykame suggested I post a new one and would hopefully get some much needed advice.I have an 8.63 round diamond .measures 13.48 x 13.65 x 7.82
Table is 59%
Depth 57.7%
Crown 33%
Pavillion 40.4%
Girdle v.thin - medium
culet vs
Good cut,good polish ,good symmetry
I LOVE old cut diamonds and would like to recut this one .I am hoping to find someone that can cut stones the old way. I am not sure if I will lose too much weight and end up with a much smaller stone .I have smaller old cut stones in various pieces of heirloom jewelry so I'd like to keep this as close to size as possible. I have no idea what it takes to recut diamonds but I would like to learn so I am ready to hear from anyone kind enough to give advice.I am posting a picture of mine and one of my inspiration cut.Diamondseeker2006 has an incredibly beautiful stone. She was on the last thread I posted on. 20200626_193000.jpg

This was a few rings ago, but I had Single Stone cut my ideal H&A into an OEC and they were amazing. Here is the thread for reference:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results