shape
carat
color
clarity

RC signature antique ring style & buying a diamond online

hod

Rough_Rock
I'm beginning to look at engagement rings and feeling both overwhelmed by choices and underwhelmed by designs. Ring Concierge's signature antique ring in yellow gold caught my eye -- I looked around jewelers in DC (where we live) to see if they carried anything similar and no dice. I want to try that style on to make sure I actually like it in person. Hard to tell when all of RC's examples are of 3+ ct center stones. Does anyone have recommendations on any DC jewelers who might carry something similar? Or other jewelry designers that carry similar styles to look at?

I want either a round or old European cut center stone, 2+ cts with a budget of $18k for the diamond. We saw some beautiful stones at the stores we visited -- but is it cheaper to buy online? I'm wary of buying a diamond sight unseen. If we were to buy a diamond online, how much would it typically cost to design a ring with a local jeweler (similar to the RC style)?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 8.45.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 8.45.46 PM.png
    359.1 KB · Views: 74

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweler pricing can vary wildly based on location, skill, fame, etc. Between $1k-3k for a setting like that would probably be usual, but that's a pretty big range. There are certainly places that would charge more, but probably not many that would charge less.

What does the side look like?

To get an idea, I'd ask at jewelers if they have any settings for round stones with NSEW (cardinal direction) prongs, with a yellow band and white gold or platinum head. That won't get you the exact thing but will get you in the ballpark. Whether you like NSEW prongs or the more traditional corner prongs, and whether you like a two-tone or solid color ring are probably the make-or-break elements of the design. You can also ask if they have anything with a tri-wire shank to check that you like the shank.

I know James Allen opened a showroom in DC recently so you may want to check online there since I think they can call in diamonds and settings for you to see in person with an appointment.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend copying a designers work.. except Ring Concierge's "Signature Antique" is actually a genuine antique and not a design she created.
David Klass has made this ring before - the CADs have been posted before for that rendition of it so I'm reposting them here to help. This one is made for a 7mm stone so you can get a sense of the look with a smaller centre.

I'd buy a loose stone and ask DK to make this or travel up to New York and go see Adam at Old World Diamonds for the loose stone and also see if his bench would make this.
I wouldn't got to James Allen if you want old cuts - Adam has a reputation for beautiful stones and a huge inventory and also for being a super nice person. You have a healthy budget for a >2ct OEC/OMC. You should be able to get a good one!

8642CE4A-FC2A-40C4-A536-96FF52477D35.jpeg

OFY

Rough_Rock
Her ring is originally from gray and Davis, they have a replica on their site right now with a 1.5ct center (too lazy to link on mobile). You can take a look there to get a sense of what it looks like in a smaller size.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Her ring is originally from gray and Davis, they have a replica on their site right now with a 1.5ct center (too lazy to link on mobile). You can take a look there to get a sense of what it looks like in a smaller size.
Here we go ...http://www.grayanddavis.com/new-products/milp2jdmiuzkuf4imdiu8sazdyih71

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend copying a designers work.. except Ring Concierge's "Signature Antique" is actually a genuine antique and not a design she created.
David Klass has made this ring before - the CADs have been posted before for that rendition of it so I'm reposting them here to help. This one is made for a 7mm stone so you can get a sense of the look with a smaller centre. I'd buy a loose stone and ask DK to make this.

8642CE4A-FC2A-40C4-A536-96FF52477D35.jpeg
This setting that @foxinsox posted with this stone:
August Vintage New European 2.217 ct K VS1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results