shape
carat
color
clarity

Quiz time...whats wrong with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
That was easy... it was on the New York Times (most of it anyway - Nov. 10, 1908).

On the fidelity stone question, I am stumped. Off to search we go.

Poor ladies - talk about holding toxic assets...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 4:45:10 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
That was easy... it was on the New York Times (most of it anyway - Nov. 10, 1908).

On the fidelity stone question, I am stumped. Off to search we go.

Poor ladies - talk about holding toxic assets...
okay I will talk...its blue sapphire!A stone associated with spiritual purity in earlier days.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 2:16:19 AM
Author: jewelerman
okay I will talk...its blue sapphire!A stone associated with spiritual purity in earlier days.
Just as well you did. I was coming up with opal...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 9:37:59 AM

Date: 10/26/2008 2:16:19 AM
Author: jewelerman
Just as well you did. I was coming up with opal...
WHO HAS THE NEXT QUESTION!Maybe this one will do for now...The Smothsonian displays a Tiara that once belonged to Nepolian''s wife Euginie...The tiara currently holds beautiful turquiose...what gems did it originally hold?...and for what occasion was the suit of jewelry made?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emeralds.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewelerman,
Are you sure you''re not referring to Marie-Louise instead?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Marie-Louise, second wife of Napoleon I was the person for whom the jewels were originally made. Eugenie - wife of Napoleon III - was the last royal/imperial owner, before the jewels were auctioned in 1887.

"After Napoleon married his second wife, the Archduchess Marie-Louise, two new matching sets of jewelry (called ‘parures’) entered the Imperial collection. On 16 January 1811, jeweller Francois-Regnault Nitot delivered to the Emperor a diamond-ruby parure (coronet, tiara, necklace, comb, earrings, belt and a pair of bracelets) and a similar emerald-diamond parure.

[...]

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History [now] has [...] the tiara of Marie-Louise’s emerald parure (the original 79 emeralds were replaced by turquoise after the 1887 auction)
" (from an essay on the French Crown Jewels, published on http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/miscellaneous/c_crownjewels.html)

An easy question now: Which famous jeweller never signed pieces, saying "my signature is my style"? (googling the quote is NOT valid!)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 5:37:43 AM

Marie-Louise, second wife of Napoleon I was the person for whom the jewels were originally made. Eugenie - wife of Napoleon III - was the last royal/imperial owner, before the jewels were auctioned in 1887.

''After Napoleon married his second wife, the Archduchess Marie-Louise, two new matching sets of jewelry (called ‘parures’) entered the Imperial collection. On 16 January 1811, jeweller Francois-Regnault Nitot delivered to the Emperor a diamond-ruby parure (coronet, tiara, necklace, comb, earrings, belt and a pair of bracelets) and a similar emerald-diamond parure.

[...]

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History [now] has [...] the tiara of Marie-Louise’s emerald parure (the original 79 emeralds were replaced by turquoise after the 1887 auction)
'' (from an essay on the French Crown Jewels, published on http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/miscellaneous/c_crownjewels.html)

An easy question now: Which famous jeweller never signed pieces, saying ''my signature is my style''? (googling the quote is NOT valid!)
Thanks for posting the additional info for Harriet..Ive heard the saying on the new question...I want to say L.C.Tiffany but my instint says it may have been Verdura...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the answer, but I cheated. Oops.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
It was not good ol'' Louis Comfort, nor Duke Fulco...

One more (big) clue: one of the favourite materials was blue/grey chalcedony.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
[I''m keeping my mouth shut.] Does anyone else love chalcedony?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly do (and so does my wife). We found this - by Andre' Vassort, then imported into the UK by Aspreys - which is an interesting ring... not in the same category as you-know-who, but a nice piece.

Aspreys Chalcedony 1.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Side view (this board is a pain, with only one attachment per post)

Aspreys Chalcedony 2.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
was one oest customers the duke of Winsor...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that ring yours? How unique!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - or rather it''s my DW''s... (we are a good team: joint selection, I pay, she wears, both enjoy the collection)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good arrangement. Will you speak to my hubby?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps I should set up a little training academy in jewellery appreciation...

Back to the thread - the mysterious jeweller is Suzanne Belperron. Next question - Harriet, it is your turn!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here goes:
Which house designed the honeycomb-bracelet? What was the design named?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Van Cleef and Arpels - Ludo Hexagone.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your turn!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Okay - time for a little creativity on the "jewellery" theme:

Who was the noblewoman that, when asked by her friends why she was always dressing modestly and not wearing any jewels, embraced her sons saying "These are my jewels!" (again, googling the quote is cheating!)

For extra points: where in the US is the same theme picked up in a public sculpture?

For extra fun: where is everyone? Come on gals & guys, we need you with questions and answers!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 3:32:50 AM
Perhaps I should set up a little training academy in jewellery appreciation...
Please do. I''ll be your first pupil.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should be the head teacher, actually... but for recalcitrant husbands, a bit of male bonding may help, so I''ll take their class.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t even answer your latest question!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
P.S. Do you like Faberge? I''m currently in love with a bowenite bear at Wartski''s.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
The craftmanship is always superb. Design-wise, I like the "simple" engine-turned and enamelled work with few stones more than the sumptuous pieces (maybe it''s because I don''t stand a chance of ever owning one?). Is the bear on a brooch or is it a stand-alone sculpture?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s scupted from bowenite and has the cutest widdle tail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results