shape
carat
color
clarity

Quiz time...whats wrong with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 11:23:05 PM
Author: Harriet
P.S. Do you like Faberge? I''m currently in love with a bowenite bear at Wartski''s.
I love The work of Carl Faberge!!!The animal carvings that came out of his work shops are nothing short of perfect!I also am equally fond of his enamelled pieces.The other designer that I love to own...Anything from the house of Rene Lalique...his jewels and glass designs paved the way for other modern jewelry designers for decades to come.

Question...The name or discription of the first Faberge egg and who recieved it and for what occasion?...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
sorry... we hadnt answered the question before mine...

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
There seem to be no takers...

OK, I'll make it easier - multiple choice. The noble lady was...

A) Octavia Augusta
B) Cecilia Metella
C) Cornelia Africana

and the statue (which does not portray her, but America) is in...

A) Columbus, OH
B) Rome, NY
C) Boston, MA

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:31:04 PM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 11/4/2008 11:23:05 PM
P.S. Do you like Faberge? I''m currently in love with a bowenite bear at Wartski''s.
I love The work of Carl Faberge!!!The animal carvings that came out of his work shops are nothing short of perfect!I also am equally fond of his enamelled pieces.The other designer that I love to own...Anything from the house of Rene Lalique...his jewels and glass designs paved the way for other modern jewelry designers for decades to come.

Question...The name or discription of the first Faberge egg and who recieved it and for what occasion?...
I''m with you on Lalique too.

Hen; wife of Alexander III; Easter.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mauboussin is finally opening here!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, they opened their first US operation in 1929.

Plus ça change...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know. They have impeccable timing, don''t they?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
If one had a friend at Mauboussin and could know about their plans a year or so in advance, it would be very useful...

BTW - I hope you don''t mind me asking, but where is "here"?

And lastly - it''s C and A to the history question (to give this thread at least a semblance of legitimacy)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not at all. I live in New York.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
This fun thread has been silent of late. Here''s an easy question: What''s the difference between enamelling and plique a jour?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
The same difference there is between "fruit" and "banana"...
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Your turn!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
OK - this is going to require some lateral thinking. How is one of the Finance Ministers of the Sun King (Louis XIV of France) connected with Art Deco jewelry? (hint: squirrels...)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve already given up.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Second hint: the garden designer at Versailles designed another garden before that of Versailles...

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/20/2008 4:09:01 PM
Author: HollyS
Princess cuts were created in the 1960''s.

What''s even funnier about this scene is that the ring in question is a Tacori! A princess center with sapphire side stones. They advertise it in their catalog as the ''Monica''.
I thought that Princess cuts weren''t introduced until around 1985.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Third clue: The finance minister in question had a rather sorry end after he gave a party to celebrate completion of his new house...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still no answer?
40.gif

If anyone here likes Mauboussin, I''m sorry to disappoint you. I finally made it to their new store. Not only was the plique a jour gone, the gems, diamonds, and craftsmanship were iffy.
14.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Nicolas Fouquet was the Superintendent of Finances for Louis XIV. He gave a big party in his chateau in Vaux-le-Vicomte in 1661, following which, instead of getting the much hoped-for place of Prime Minister, he was imprisoned. (Complete story here: http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/histoire-chateau-Nicolas-Fouquet.php)

Skip 250 years, and the jewellers Georges Fouquet and his son Jean were considered pre-eminent in the design of Art Nouveau (Georges) and Art Deco/Modernist (Jean) jewellery. As far as I know, no relations of the unfortunate courtier, but still an interesting (?) coincidence.

Oh, and the squirrels? Fouquet in French means squirrel.

Re: Mauboussin - I suspect it''s the same as with Tiffany, Cartier and Van Cleef. Mass-production may enable many more to have "the name", but the quality and originality of the pieces of old is still way too high to be replicated cheaply. Which doesn''t stop any of the above to request premium prices even for modest work, but...

Futurmrss

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 8:23:03 PM
Author:jewelerman
I am watching an old episode of Friends on T.V....Chandler and Phebe go into a jewelry store to fing an engagement ring...the salesperson asks the manager ''where is the 1920s princess cut diamond ring at?''What is wrong with this statement?!....
Did they really say "where is the ring AT?" The preposition at the end of a sentence drives me crazy as well.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 8:09:07 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Re: Mauboussin - I suspect it''s the same as with Tiffany, Cartier and Van Cleef. Mass-production may enable many more to have ''the name'', but the quality and originality of the pieces of old is still way too high to be replicated cheaply. Which doesn''t stop any of the above to request premium prices even for modest work, but...
Mass-produced pieces notwithstanding, Cartier, Van Cleef and Tiffany still make exceptional pieces, albeit fewer of them. I was extremely disappointed by Mauboussin because they had none of their traditional pieces and apparently have no plans to make them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 8:09:07 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Nicolas Fouquet was the Superintendent of Finances for Louis XIV. He gave a big party in his chateau in Vaux-le-Vicomte in 1661, following which, instead of getting the much hoped-for place of Prime Minister, he was imprisoned. (Complete story here: http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/histoire-chateau-Nicolas-Fouquet.php)

Skip 250 years, and the jewellers Georges Fouquet and his son Jean were considered pre-eminent in the design of Art Nouveau (Georges) and Art Deco/Modernist (Jean) jewellery. As far as I know, no relations of the unfortunate courtier, but still an interesting (?) coincidence.

Oh, and the squirrels? Fouquet in French means squirrel.

Re: Mauboussin - I suspect it''s the same as with Tiffany, Cartier and Van Cleef. Mass-production may enable many more to have ''the name'', but the quality and originality of the pieces of old is still way too high to be replicated cheaply. Which doesn''t stop any of the above to request premium prices even for modest work, but...
I really admire the work of Georges Fouquet and his son Jean.......im sorry to hear that Mauboussin isnt creating the quality that we have see from yesteryear in the collections of collectors like Mary Pickford(her Mauboussin rubies are real stunners)or Joan Crawford(her sapphires are legendary)....in fact this brings up my next question ....
MOVIE STAR JEWELRY QUESTION...
Joan Crawford was know for her passion for sapphires and pearls...she bought from Mauboussin and other famous jewelers...but who was the one jeweler who she purchased most of her important pieces from...example...her large citrine and yellow gold snake chain pieces from the late 1930s....we havent discussed this jeweler yet.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yard?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
That would have been my guess too. But it''s a guess!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 11:13:00 AM
Yard?
very good!cant get anything over on you guys....who has the next question?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet - your turn, methinks.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me think for a while. I can''t come up with questions of your level.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here goes: The chandelier design was popular a few years ago (e.g. earrings). When was it invented? What was it known as?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Can you help us a bit? There are 18th century earrings that are basically a chandelier design (i.e. stones in tiers mounted suspended or en tremblant) - I doubt you are referring to those, since I don''t think an "invention" date can be traced other than in very generic terms...
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results