shape
carat
color
clarity

Quiz time...whats wrong with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smokey Quartz?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
time for a new question. what wil be the next big jewelry trend?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aren''t you the one with the crystal ball?
9.gif
I don''t know, especially with an economy like this. But, some rags are saying that marquises are in.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 10:42:53 AM
Author: Harriet
9.gif
I don''t know, especially with an economy like this. But, some rags are saying that marquises are in.
maybe we will all get out the lovelies we have had for years and rediscover liking what we have. i have things i still love but just don''t get out. i have been thinking about them for sometime.

i have never owned a marquise so i may be so out of luck?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 11:45:21 AM
Author: crown1

Date: 9/26/2008 10:42:53 AM
9.gif
maybe we will all get out the lovelies we have had for years and rediscover liking what we have. i have things i still love but just don''t get out. i have been thinking about them for sometime.

i have never owned a marquise so i may be so out of luck?
A year ago i noticed that young women were starting to ask for marquises again in settings that were either edwardian or 1950s in style and always in white metal...the 1970s yellow gold with marquises styles didnt fly...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 1:23:56 AM
Vulcanite? I give up. This subject creeps me out.

Btw, doesn''t the rolling ring pre-date Cartier? It was a traditional Russian wedding band.
Sorry the subject creeps you out...so i will tell the answer...amethyst,agate,and grey pearls were popular after the first period of mourning.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew nothing about the mourning jewelry, but I did know something about the colors that women wore when they went out of deep mourning into lighter mourning in England. I believe that I must have absorbed it by osmosis from the constant reading and rereading of Georgette Heyer novels, because I cannot otherwise explain why I would know that lavender was a color that one might wear when she put off her black gowns and simply went into black gloves!

How did you learn about the jewelry worn during mourning, jewelryman? In what countries and cultures did the same rules for jewelry (stones) apply?

Deborah
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 1:03:45 AM
Author: AGBF

I knew nothing about the mourning jewelry, but I did know something about the colors that women wore when they went out of deep mourning into lighter mourning in England. I believe that I must have absorbed it by osmosis from the constant reading and rereading of Georgette Heyer novels, because I cannot otherwise explain why I would know that lavender was a color that one might wear when she put off her black gowns and simply went into black gloves!

How did you learn about the jewelry worn during mourning, jewelryman? In what countries and cultures did the same rules for jewelry (stones) apply?

Deborah
34.gif
Lots of reading over many years...most of this information i cant even attribute to sources any more because its been to long and too many books,people or websites to remember which info came from where...but there are good antique books written that have complete sections on mourning jewelry...queen Victoria pretty much set the standard and rules for the Victorians who i think pretty much invented this type of restrictive dressing.I think it would be interesting to learn if there are other cultures that had these restrictions.Now there have been other restrictions of the wearing of jewelry or gems...example...in certain parts of Europe in the 15th century it was against the law to wear jewelry or certain gem stones...there was a law in England at one time early on that stated that only Royals could own diamonds and that women could go out in public wearing only a certain number of pearls....i will try to find the sources again for exact dates ect...fun stuff!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
new quiz question...what un-usual gem was in movie star Gene Harlow''s engagement ring in the 1930s...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
9/27/2008 1:25:20 AM
Author: jewelerman

queen Victoria pretty much set the standard and rules for the Victorians who i think pretty much invented this type of restrictive dressing.

The author whom I mentioned, Georgette Heyer, writes about the Regency Period (the period during which George III was unable to rule and the Prince Regent ruled in his place). As you know, George III was the king during our revolution. The Regency Period was in the first years of the nineteenth century, the very early 1800''s, so it predates Queen Victoria. The mourning dress for women had already been established by then; it is reflected in Ms. Heyer''s books which are most carefully researched. How long before the Regency Period these modes were established, however, I do not know!

Deborah
34.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
150 carat cabachon sapphire?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Jean Harlow--star sapphire?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 12:01:44 PM
Author: coatimundi
Jean Harlow--star sapphire?
CORRECT...large round blue star sapphire....its hard to stump this crowd!
Since we are talking non-traditional engagement rings...What gem stone did the Duke of Winsor present to Wallace Simpson...and from what famous jewelry company...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Mogul Emerald. Cartier.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 12:14:37 AM
The Mogul Emerald. Cartier.
The huge deep green emerald was made by Cartier and cost $10,000 ...a pretty penny in the 1930s...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
next question...In victorian and Edwardian society it was considered vulgar to wear what gem before 5pm....

Rosa

Shiny_Rock
I will hazard a guess: Ruby, b/c red was the symbol for passion (???)

Thanks for posting the info about colors allowed to be worn during different phases of mourning - I didn''t know about that but it makes sense.

Along that same idea, a long time ago I read that until the 20th century, red and pink clothing were exclusively worn by men, b/c red represented blood, war (think Mars, the red planet, named for the Roman god of war), and sexual passion. Blue was the color for women, b/c it represented fidelity, faith (think of the expression "true blue") and note that artists from the middle ages onward always depicted Virgin Mary, Mother of God in paintings wearing blue. I''m sure there are other reasons as well, like what pigments were available for dying clothes and so forth, and to the painters of the artworks, but just thought you all might find this interesting.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 10:01:18 AM
Author: Rosa
I will hazard a guess: Ruby, b/c red was the symbol for passion (???)

Thanks for posting the info about colors allowed to be worn during different phases of mourning - I didn''t know about that but it makes sense.

Along that same idea, a long time ago I read that until the 20th century, red and pink clothing were exclusively worn by men, b/c red represented blood, war (think Mars, the red planet, named for the Roman god of war), and sexual passion. Blue was the color for women, b/c it represented fidelity, faith (think of the expression ''true blue'') and note that artists from the middle ages onward always depicted Virgin Mary, Mother of God in paintings wearing blue. I''m sure there are other reasons as well, like what pigments were available for dying clothes and so forth, and to the painters of the artworks, but just thought you all might find this interesting.
Rosa,
Sorry, but its not ruby....thanks for posting the additional information...interesting.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
9/28/2008 2:25:53 AM
next question...In victorian and Edwardian society it was considered vulgar to wear what gem before 5pm....

I''m assuming diamonds? One didn''t wear them in the country, after all. A woman didn''t wear them until she was married. They were for formal occasions....

Deborah
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 2:44:35 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
9/28/2008 2:25:53 AM

I''m assuming diamonds? One didn''t wear them in the country, after all. A woman didn''t wear them until she was married. They were for formal occasions....

Deborah
34.gif
Well done!Diamonds were only worn after 5pm...when one dressed for dinner or to go out.It was appropriate for a young and unmarried woman to wear jewelry made of small pearls or cameos given to her by her parents.A plain gold wedding band was worn during the day(Later gems like turquiose,opal,pearl, cameo and garnet were considered appropriate on a day time band)It was inappropriate to wear jewelry that wasnt recieved from husband,family or as a thank you or wedding gift from close associates(Queen Victoria was well known for giving jewelry as thank you gifts).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
new quiz question...
What period of time is jewelry characterized with themes of neo-classical bows,wreaths, arrows, and garlands... that use open,lacey setting made of platinum.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 3:41:12 PM
Author: Addy
Art Nouveau
Sorry...Art Nouveau is an earlier period,but a good try.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Art Deco?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Post dates this period...sorry...think garlands wrapping around pearls,diamonds and light blue sapphires paired with delicate open work filigree in platinum made popular by Cartier and Tiffany & Co...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Victorian?? I know the style but can't think of the proper name. Ughh. But do love it... T&C did amazing pieces...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 12:47:38 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Victorian?? I know the style but can''t think of the proper name. Ughh. But do love it... T&C did amazing pieces...
Sorry...you are going backward...i know you know the right style...i personally like the inspiring old sapphire pieces by Cartier in this style and period...the style was short lived compared to some and Deco replaced it in popularity.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jewelerman :)

I''ll plump for Edwardian period

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 2:13:39 AM
Author: Pieface
Hi Jewelerman :)

I''ll plump for Edwardian period
WINNER!Who has the next quiz question?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe this is too easy, but...

Why is it difficult to find platinum jewellery made between 1938 and 1946?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results