shape
carat
color
clarity

Quiz time...whats wrong with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
That''s gotta be WWII. Many rare and precious metals were strictly controlled during the war years including platinum which has a multitude of uses in chemical processes and electronics.

This might be a bit left of centre...

What is the name of the first documented owner of the Black Prince''s Ruby?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 8:19:58 PM
Author: Pieface
That''s gotta be WWII. Many rare and precious metals were strictly controlled during the war years including platinum which has a multitude of uses in chemical processes and electronics.

This might be a bit left of centre...

What is the name of the first documented owner of the Black Prince''s Ruby?
The first owner of the large (170 carat-ish)red spinel that i am aware of is The black prince Edward of Wood stock who named the stone thought to be a ruby after him self in 1367.Its now in The crown of Queen Elizabeth of England set above what i believe is the oval cut Koh-i-noor(106-ish carats.)....

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 1:20:33 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Maybe this is too easy, but...

Why is it difficult to find platinum jewellery made between 1938 and 1946?
because of the war.metals were controlled by the goverment.
So here is the next quiz question...Since metals were goverment controlled....what metal was often used in costume jewelry in these years and why did some of the costume jewelry rival its genuine counterparts for quality...

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...I got a couple of owners prior to your Englishman Jewelerman.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 1:34:40 AM
Okay...lets hear em...

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 1:43:36 AM
Author: jewelerman
Date: 10/1/2008 1:34:40 AM

Okay...lets hear em...

I''ll go to the owner prior to the Black Prince...Don Pedro of Seville is said to have exchanged the gem with the Black Prince for mercenary services. I''ll leave who Don Pedro acquired the gem from for someone else to have a guess (or a google
2.gif
)

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 12:57:13 AM

So here is the next quiz question...Since metals were goverment controlled....what metal was often used in costume jewelry in these years and why did some of the costume jewelry rival its genuine counterparts for quality...
Not all metals were. Platinum was specifically controlled since it is used as a catalyst in the production of nitrogen-based explosives (such as TNT).

I'm not sure about the metal, but many famous names produced "costume" jewelry during the '40s, given the low availability of gemsones and precious metals, and low levels of income. I'm stumped on this one
2.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
First "recorded" owner of the Black Prince Ruby was Abu Said, emir of Granada, who was robbed of the stone and murdered by Pedro the Cruel. However, this is rather speculative/legend, since the first document mentioning the Ruby (or spinel) is dated 1415, well after the Black Prince''s death. At that time, the stone was in possession of Henry V of England. So, take your pick...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

Palladium.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Well admittedly my one is up for debate
3.gif
I just love that period. The Moorish presence in Spain is a favourite and their architecture is the shizzle! Hope I can get to Spain one day to enjoy in person.

I''m not sure about the metal question but I''d trust Harriet to have it pegged down.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 4:41:38 AM

Not all metals were. Platinum was specifically controlled since it is used as a catalyst in the production of nitrogen-based explosives (such as TNT).

I''m not sure about the metal, but many famous names produced ''costume'' jewelry during the ''40s, given the low availability of gemsones and precious metals, and low levels of income. I''m stumped on this one
2.gif
Silver is the metal used by better costume jewelry companies because base metals were being used in ammunitions plants.The reason that better costume jewelry rivaled its genuine counter parts is because many master gem cutters , master metal smiths and gem setters were refuges from war torn Europe and found homes in America.Some found work at these costume jewelry companies cutting glass, designing and making jewelry, and setting fakes as if they were the real thing.Sometimes you can find a piece that incorperates a couple of dozen hand cut glass gems each set in multi prongs rather then glued in...some in sterling and some in plated base metals.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Google said "palladium."
25.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 9:16:15 PM
Author: Harriet
Google said ''palladium.''
25.gif
I WANT TO HEAR MORE!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother had (and now I have) some Georg Jensen USA pieces (they are described in another thread) that are made out of sterling silver. They were made during the war (World War II) when there was little or no communication between Denmark and the United States. Later the Georg Jensen company repudiated some of these pieces. In fact, I do not know that they recognize my mother's flatware pattern. Clearly, sterling silver was a very popular material from which jewelry was made. My mother had these pieces and also had barrettes for her hair made out of sterling silver that she must have bought during the war. I remember seeing them in her jewelry box as I was growing up. Why she had so much silver jewelry never occurred to me!

In this thread I describe the sterling Georg Jensen jewlery and accessories my mother owned from the 1940's:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georg-jensen-jewelry.25634/

Deborah
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:22:14 AM
Author: AGBF

My mother had (and now I have) some Georg Jensen USA pieces (they are described in another thread) that are made out of sterling silver. They were made during the war (World War II) when there was little or no communication between Denmark and the United States. Later the Georg Jensen company repudiated some of these pieces. In fact, I do not know that they recognize my mother''s flatware pattern. Clearly, sterling silver was a very popular material from which jewelry was made. My mother had these pieces and also had barrettes for her hair made out of sterling silver that she must have bought during the war. I remember seeing them in her jewelry box as I was growing up. Why she had so much silver jewelry never occurred to me!

In this thread I describe the sterling Georg Jensen jewlery and accessories my mother owned from the 1940''s:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georg-jensen-jewelry.25634/

Deborah
34.gif
I have always appreciated pieces created by the danish and swedish designers.The early turn of the century pieces by Jensen are very attractive and collectors love them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
New Quiz question...
Who own the 33.19 carat Krupp Diamond...what is its history and what was paid for it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor. It came from Vera Krupp''s (the wife of a steel magnate) estate. Richard Burton paid $305,000 at Sotheby''s.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 12:36:42 PM
Elizabeth Taylor. It came from Vera Krupp''s (the wife of a steel magnate) estate. Richard Burton paid $305,000 at Sotheby''s.
vera Krupp''s husband made huge amounts of money from owning the amunitions plants that made the amunition for Germany during the second world war.Liz Taylor says its perfect that Vera''s flawless diamond be owned by a jewish girl.At the time this was the most paid for a diamond at auction until the purchase of the Taylor-Burton diamond(1.5 million).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Next question?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
quiz question...1950s movie star jewelry....Joan Crawford,Loretta Young, and Liz Tylor all collected pearl jewelry from this famous jeweler who specialized in un-usual pearl jewelry....who was the jeweler... and for extra points... what famous turn of the centurry jeweler gave them a start in the gem trade?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
William Ruser; Maboussin.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 3:44:35 PM
William Ruser; Maboussin.
GOOD ANSWER...HALF RIGHT...William Ruser...im impressed that you picked the great french Jeweler Maboussin who the movie stars like Mary Pickford loved...but im looking for an American Jeweler...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seaman Schepps?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmm... I''m thinking Harriet got it more like three-quarters than half-right the first time around. But it''s a hunch, since I''m not sure.

Trabert & Hoeffer, who in 1929 bought Mauboussin''s US-based inventory and rights to the name in the US, trading as "Trabert & Hoeffer - Mauboussin".

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! I was just to lazy to write all that out. Really. Mauboussin is opening a boutique here and I can''t wait to windowshop.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 5:30:23 PM

Hmmm... I''m thinking Harriet got it more like three-quarters than half-right the first time around. But it''s a hunch, since I''m not sure.

Trabert & Hoeffer, who in 1929 bought Mauboussin''s US-based inventory and rights to the name in the US, trading as ''Trabert & Hoeffer - Mauboussin''.

Okay...I am getting some conflicting information...the answer i was looking for was the American Jewelry company Marcus & CO. who Ruser had ties to early in his career....but researching Harriet''s answer i found on the net that he managed Trabert & Hoeffer....so Harriet get huge points for correctness...next question...Seaman Schepps made his most popular jewelry during the 1940s...what material from the sea did he use for earrings(not coral) that became a huge hit with jewelry collectors like the dutchess of windsor...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baroques.
P.S. That's one jeweller that I can't bring myself to appreciate.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 12:05:41 AM
Baroques.
P.S. That''s one jeweller that I can''t bring myself to appreciate.
I am impressed by his use of sea shells in his jewelry...wrapped in gold wire with pearls,diamonds and colored gems like sapphires or citrines...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 1:04:06 AM

Date: 10/10/2008 12:05:41 AM
Baroques.
P.S. That''s one jeweller that I can''t bring myself to appreciate.
I am impressed by his use of sea shells in his jewelry...wrapped in gold wire with pearls,diamonds and colored gems like sapphires or citrines...
Harriet you turn to come up with the quiz question!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait, is my answer correct or incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results