shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers with big diamonds... DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 6:39:59 PM
Author: Addy
I don''t think it has anything to do with being materialist and greedy. Are you bored? I think more about rings and what I have or don''t have when I don''t have anything to do that keeps my attention.
Not bored as such. I do have a lot of time on my hands and I spend most of it on PS. I think its easy to look at the big diamonds and think I would like one. Then other times I think I am being a bit greedy and I should just be grateful for what I have. I upgrade quickly which probably makes me look very shallow and not easy to please.

I just asked my husband what he honestly thinks about me upgrading. He said he thinks the size I have now is as big as he would like to see me wear, taking into consideration where we live. He said he would rather buy me another diamond, a different shape, and start the whole process again. He knows I like upgrading and doesn''t want to stop me doing it.. but is concerned about my safety wearing such a big stone.

He says there is nothing wrong with me having lots of different sets to wear as long as the diamonds aren''t too big.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Yup I get DSS.

I have upgraded a few times. I started with a 1.3 then to a 1.76 and then over the 2ct mark. I have had a few different stones in te 2ct range that have been around the same mm in size. I thought 2ct would be enough but I know I would love to go up to 3ct some day. I just don''t think that it will be a good financial decision anytime in the near future. We are trying to pay off our house so in a few years we can build our dream home.

My curb for DSS is I wear my e-ring alone without my w-band. That seems to really make it appear bigger on my finger. At least in my mind it does. I also let my mom or some friends wear it when we are out so I can see it on someone elses hand. BOY that really makes it seem big!! It is neat to see your ring on someone elses finger, what it looks like to them when you are wearing it. I love watching it sparkle for a whole different view!!

My ering is in the shop right now getting it''s latest upgrade so after not wearing it for a while I am sure it will look big for at least a week when I get it back!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Maise- first thought is, if you can afford it and have talked it through with your DH, do it. But
only if it makes you happy. (that would be the correct statement to make. the nice one.)

Second thought is- I don''t think you''re shallow but I do think PS is the devil. Ok, not the devil but an enabler.
11.gif
So if diamond size was something you were never concered with prior to joining, this place shouldn''t have you constantly going for something bigger.

So I won''t enable you!! Your diamond already IS big, gorgeous and sparkly!! Bigger won''t make it any prettier.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:10:29 PM
Author: KtIceRN
Yup I get DSS.

I have upgraded a few times. I started with a 1.3 then to a 1.76 and then over the 2ct mark. I have had a few different stones in te 2ct range that have been around the same mm in size. I thought 2ct would be enough but I know I would love to go up to 3ct some day. I just don''t think that it will be a good financial decision anytime in the near future. We are trying to pay off our house so in a few years we can build our dream home.

My curb for DSS is I wear my e-ring alone without my w-band. That seems to really make it appear bigger on my finger. At least in my mind it does. I also let my mom or some friends wear it when we are out so I can see it on someone elses hand. BOY that really makes it seem big!! It is neat to see your ring on someone elses finger, what it looks like to them when you are wearing it. I love watching it sparkle for a whole different view!!

My ering is in the shop right now getting it''s latest upgrade so after not wearing it for a while I am sure it will look big for at least a week when I get it back!
I love seeing my ring on my daughters hands. She has tiny fingers and it makes my diamond look huge! I guess its the equivalent to me wearing a 3ct diamond!

What are you having done to your ring?
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:19:30 PM
Author: elle_chris
Maise- first thought is, if you can afford it and have talked it through with your DH, do it. But
only if it makes you happy. (that would be the correct statement to make. the nice one.)

Second thought is- I don''t think you''re shallow but I do think PS is the devil. Ok, not the devil but an enabler.
11.gif
So if diamond size was something you were never concered with prior to joining, this place shouldn''t have you constantly going for something bigger.

So I won''t enable you!! Your diamond already IS big, gorgeous and sparkly!! Bigger won''t make it any prettier.
1.gif
We have always saved up for my upgrades. Its not money we should be spending on other things, nobody goes without because mummy has a new ring
9.gif

There is a lady who works in our local post office. She has a beautiful wedding set. The diamond must be around .30ct and I just love looking at it. Its in an unusual setting and it just sparkles so brightly. Maybe my husband is right, I should get a few different rings and change them about. That way when I put my 1.5ct on it will look huge to me!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:25:03 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 4/12/2009 7:10:29 PM
Yup I get DSS.

I have upgraded a few times. I started with a 1.3 then to a 1.76 and then over the 2ct mark. I have had a few different stones in te 2ct range that have been around the same mm in size. I thought 2ct would be enough but I know I would love to go up to 3ct some day. I just don't think that it will be a good financial decision anytime in the near future. We are trying to pay off our house so in a few years we can build our dream home.

My ering is in the shop right now getting it's latest upgrade so after not wearing it for a while I am sure it will look big for at least a week when I get it back!
I love seeing my ring on my daughters hands. She has tiny fingers and it makes my diamond look huge! I guess its the equivalent to me wearing a 3ct diamond!

What are you having done to your ring?
1.gif
I think we should come up with finger lipo for all PSers with DSS!!
2.gif

My latest upgrade.

I just couldn't pass this stone up. I am hoping to have it this week!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:29:30 PM
2.gif

My latest upgrade.

I just couldn''t pass this stone up. I am hoping to have it this week!!!
Its going to be beautiful! I''m so pleased to see someone who has upgraded a few times too! Makes me feel a lot better! I bet you are really excited to get your ring back!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 7:32:46 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 4/12/2009 7:29:30 PM
2.gif

My latest upgrade.

I just couldn''t pass this stone up. I am hoping to have it this week!!!
Its going to be beautiful! I''m so pleased to see someone who has upgraded a few times too! Makes me feel a lot better! I bet you are really excited to get your ring back!
You are not alone with the upgrades...I just keep mine off the radar sometimes.
10.gif
This time I had to share going from a J to a slightly bigger eyeclean H with barely any extra cash bing used. I must say I was proud of my find. Now I can''t wait to get it back from them.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:35:56 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 4/12/2009 11:33:30 AM
Author: risingsun
I need help
6.gif
My first engagement ring was .5 ct, which is was quickly upgraded to .8 before the wedding. At my tenth anniversary, the plan was up upgrade to a 1ct. By that time I wanted a 1.25. We found a wonderful 1.23, after joining PS. Within 18 months, I have my present ring--1.62 ct. I'm already talking about the next upgrade
23.gif
I'm think that I should just halo the stone and be done with it, except I love my setting. I'm not a well woman. DSS sets in on the ride home from the jeweler's
38.gif
HI:

Your ring is very beautiful! I vote no halo! (not that you were asking....
9.gif
)

cheers--Sharon
Many thanks to canuk-gal, beau13, MissGotRocks, and Maisie
2.gif
I needed some of my friends to talk some sense into me! I have actually checked into a small upgrade, but haven't found what I wanted. The jump to 2ct is too much at this time
6.gif
I really love my set and would like to stop lusting after more
31.gif
I've had an injury to my right arm and any money will be to trade in my rocket of a red sports car
39.gif
Perhaps I can have some bling bevel set in the steering wheel and yes I have lost my marbles
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lump me in with Lynn...sicko #2 chiming in here. My stone at 2.32 is big but it's not huge. DSS...always. I have to wear my e-ring alone sometimes to remind myself it's actually kinda big. 3.5 would prob be my ideal. BUT that is expensive and we have lots of other priorities...so I tend to be like 'eh whatever' for now. There are lots of other things that I am thinking about other than spending significant cash on a bigger diamond, esp since chances are as some others noted, who really KNOWS where it ends. Big for one person, huge for another, small for another...only you know how you are going to be with a bigger diamond and even then sometimes people who THINK they know don't really know. But I do think about it, and sometimes my hub asks me about if I want to go bigger...sweet but just not in the cards right now.
9.gif

Funny though...people tell me all the time they think my diamond is huge. I have had most people think it's 3c. I have one gal at work who loves my set so much that when she talks to me and I gesture with my hands she just watches my hands move around. It's hilarious. Whenever people say it's big I always stop and go..REALLY???? It's def all about what is in one person's head vs another.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 8:44:29 PM
Author: Mara
Lump me in with Lynn...sicko #2 chiming in here. My stone at 2.32 is big but it''s not huge. DSS...always. I have to wear my e-ring alone sometimes to remind myself it''s actually kinda big. 3.5 would prob be my ideal. BUT that is expensive and we have lots of other priorities...so I tend to be like ''eh whatever'' for now. There are lots of other things that I am thinking about other than spending significant cash on a bigger diamond, esp since chances are as some others noted, who really KNOWS where it ends...
Haha! Yeah, Sicko 1 and Sicko 2, that''s us! -->
37.gif
37.gif

This darn thing called "life" (and oh, let''s not forget the blasted budget!) sure is getting in the way of our 3.5+''ers, huh???!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 4:52:26 PM
Author: elle_chris
Hey Violet
35.gif

I''m turning my 5 stone into one. Slowly accumulating the stones. It''s going to take a bit of time but it''s a fun project
1.gif
It''s going to be the mother of all eternities.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 9:17:56 PM
Author: Lynn B

Lump me in with Lynn...sicko #2 chiming in here. My stone at 2.32 is big but it's not huge. DSS...always. I have to wear my e-ring alone sometimes to remind myself it's actually kinda big. 3.5 would prob be my ideal. BUT that is expensive and we have lots of other priorities...so I tend to be like 'eh whatever' for now. There are lots of other things that I am thinking about other than spending significant cash on a bigger diamond, esp since chances are as some others noted, who really KNOWS where it ends...
Haha! Yeah, Sicko 1 and Sicko 2, that's us! -->
37.gif
37.gif

This darn thing called 'life' (and oh, let's not forget the blasted budget!) sure is getting in the way of our 3.5+'ers, huh???!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
You know it girl...! So fess up, cuz I prob already know... how many times when you were working on the kitchen did you think.....holy crap what size could THIS get me? Life may be getting in the way with other priorities but I still catch myself from time to time...like when we did our small remodel to our new place to reconvert garage etc, I was like DAMN there is my upgrade to 3.5c!!! Boooo. hahaha.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Mine is 2.57 and it didn''t seem huge to me - at all.
20.gif

So I reset with a halo and split shank. Bingo!
36.gif
That was what it needed. Now I adore the size and do not want a bigger one. The reset had the effect of providing the millimeter size I found most pleasing on my hand as well as a more interesting setting that makes me look at it from many angles. Before I had a basic six prong solitaire and frankly I think it could have been 4 carats and would not have done the trick.

The reset was not cheap but I figure we saved thousands by eliminating an upgrade and got me out of the never-never land of DSS.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can wear a RB of up to 5 ct without looking silly, but I''m not sure I want to -- my love lies with coloured gems. I have, however, spoken with Lesley about upgrading to 3 tcw earrings.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Maisie- I just meant in general (not specific to you or anyone else.) It''s something I abide by myself.

Harriet- 3ctw?? that''s pretty LARGE. can your ears hold those babies up
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have big fat ears.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Leon said that?? wth.. lol

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. He even measured my ear lobes.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
WHAT?? what for??

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
To figure out how large my studs should be. He arrived at a figure greater than 3tcw. Oh, and he also checked my neck to figure out whether I can wear a necklace. He cracks me up.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
i was seriously considering using him for my eternity but you''re scaring me. I don''t want him measuring my fingers only to find out they''re too fat for him to work with
23.gif

(threadjack over)

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered the posibility that our eyesight isn''t as good as it used to be? Making a new pair of glasses might be a cheaper alternative to stone upgrades... Heh.
31.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My current e-ring is .64 ct but I'm upgrading to a 2.06 ct ring [hopefully] by the end of the month!

When I first saw the diamond I thought it was downright ginormous! But after staring at it for the last two weeks I've become more used to the size of it. It still looks pretty dang large but not as impossibly huge as when I first laid eyes on it.

I'm sure that over time I'll get more used to the size, though I can't imagine ever thinking of it as too SMALL. But maybe you should ask me in 10 years or so?
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HERE ARE THE BASIC RULES....

for E-ring....(center stone only) you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or 4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc... and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size.

for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your e-ring "center stone".

for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your e-ring "center stone"

for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your e-ring "center stone"

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for E-ring....(center stone only) you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or 4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc...
and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size.for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your e-ring "center stone".
for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your e-ring "center stone"
for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your e-ring "center stone"

With rules like that, thank God I''m an anarchist
2.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 1:45:38 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

for E-ring....(center stone only) you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or 4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc... and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size.

for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your e-ring ''center stone''.

for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your e-ring ''center stone''

for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your e-ring ''center stone''

Ha ha! These are the silliest rules I''ve ever heard of. My engagement ring is a .47 centre. To go by this my earrings could never be larger than .35 ctw, or .17 each. Right now I wear .66 ctw earrings almost daily and am hoping to get some 1.2-1.5 ctw earrings within the next two to three years.

And if we go by the ring I actually wear most - it''s a .33 centre stone diamond ring. Each one of my earrings weigh the same amount.

I''m breaking the rules all over the place!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:38:22 AM
Author: peaches
My current e-ring is .64 ct but I''m upgrading to a 2.06 ct ring [hopefully] by the end of the month!

When I first saw the diamond I thought it was downright ginormous! But after staring at it for the last two weeks I''ve become more used to the size of it. It still looks pretty dang large but not as impossibly huge as when I first laid eyes on it.

I''m sure that over time I''ll get more used to the size, though I can''t imagine ever thinking of it as too SMALL. But maybe you should ask me in 10 years or so?
31.gif
Wow thats quite a jump! You are going to love that new diamond!!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lump me in with Lynn...sicko #2 chiming in here. My stone at 2.32 is big but it's not huge. DSS...always. I have to wear my e-ring alone sometimes to remind myself it's actually kinda big. 3.5 would prob be my ideal. BUT that is expensive and we have lots of other priorities...so I tend to be like 'eh whatever' for now. There are lots of other things that I am thinking about other than spending significant cash on a bigger diamond, esp since chances are as some others noted, who really KNOWS where it ends. Big for one person, huge for another, small for another...only you know how you are going to be with a bigger diamond and even then sometimes people who THINK they know don't really know. But I do think about it, and sometimes my hub asks me about if I want to go bigger...sweet but just not in the cards right now.
9.gif

Funny though...people tell me all the time they think my diamond is huge. I have had most people think it's 3c. I have one gal at work who loves my set so much that when she talks to me and I gesture with my hands she just watches my hands move around. It's hilarious. Whenever people say it's big I always stop and go..REALLY???? It's def all about what is in one person's head vs another.
I think the problem with me upgrading is not the upgrading itself, but more the time frame in which I have done it. Instead of taking time to make sure its the right move, I just go rushing headlong into buying the new stone/setting. People like you Mara and also Lynn seem to have worn the previous stone for some time before upgrading. Maybe I need to just take time to enjoy this stone and not be worrying about the next jump so soon.

My husband doesn't have a problem with me buying anything but he did say last night that he thinks the diamond I have is large enough. Hmmm... lets see what I say to him next time he wants a bigger tv!

I know he will buy me a bigger stone if I want one but I will think it through properly before I do anything else.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it really hard to think through exactly what I want. On PS we see so many stones of all sizes and colours and have access to some great jewellers. On our hands rings look different and lots of times we can''t see the rings on our hands until we buy them. I''ve said on here many times that had I known what I know now I wouldn''t have choosen my original engagement ring. We had a limited budget and size was my primany concern. I''ve since discovered that size and finger coverage aren''t the same thing. What I was actually looking for was finger coverage. And I found it in a smaller stone.

You want big, fair enough. I think it''s really easy to want to upgrade when you aren''t able to try on something and it doesn''t look quite how you want it to on you. Are you actually experiencing DSS or just not quite getting the look you were aimming for in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results