shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers. Please be reasonable, courteous people off-forum. Please?

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
When my dog was a puppy, I used to get strangers coming up to me at the pet store and at the dog park asking to buy her. I was like...just...go buy your own?? Plenty of dogs out there!

I've had multiple people tell me they want my dog. Not a dog like my dog. No, my dog.

She's mine, and yes - she's awesome. Maybe if they had been the smart one and rescued her from the animal control shelter instead of me, then they could have had the awesome dog.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really dislike compaign animals treated like commodities

What about that kinda ugly unloved mut at the SPCA that will be the perfect loving family dog (or a shy moggy right in the back)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I've seen "inspired by" rings, where the asker made a point not to make an exact copy by adding their own twist to the design. I've also seen the asker request the owner's permission out of courtesy.

That said, I don't doubt there will be many lookalikes that were created but not posted in PS.

I'm sure there are plenty of lookalikes, but this particular thread is about people who message you privately to buy YOUR ring. Not to copy it. They want the one you have and don't want to make their own.

One person made me so uncomfortable I couldn't even respond to her email. She included very private, very personal medical history as the reason why I should sell my ring to her, because it would help her process her grief. It was a guilt trip and I felt so terrible, like I was a bad person for not wanting to sell. But at the same time, she said it so nonchalantly like she just wanted to buy something pretty to "feel better". I wrote an email and never sent it.

Ugh that must have been so uncomfortable. I mean, I sometimes might add a personal tidbit like "I'm looking for an early birthday present for myself" just so the seller knows I'm not a looky-loo. But this is just so OTT. Not responding to that person was definitely the right call!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to come back and say I know some of us joke about dibs in the colored stone forums. I do, and I would love to play in a few people's jewelry boxes too, but to actually try to get someone to sell me a piece? thats a No dawg.

I've had multiple people tell me they want my dog. Not a dog like my dog. No, my dog.

She's mine, and yes - she's awesome. Maybe if they had been the smart one and rescued her from the animal control shelter instead of me, then they could have had the awesome dog.

Gigi is quite the looker. She's also my wild child, but she is also very particular of who she wants near her. Both my girls are that way (somehow they picked this up from me I guess...lol)

I had an offer for her. I asked if they was high.

:(2
Here in NZ i read brindle dogs and white cats are the hardest for the SPCA to rebome :(2

My cats just find me

Seems to me most will want a brindle or blue in the states. black dogs and cats are extrmely hard to rehome. My oldest girl is black, super glossy coat, sweetest, most contrarian dog you could ever meet...lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to come back and say I know some of us joke about dibs in the colored stone forums. I do, and I would love to play in a few people's jewelry boxes too, but to actually try to get someone to sell me a piece? thats a No dawg.

Gigi is quite the looker. She's also my wild child, but she is also very particular of who she wants near her. Both my girls are that way (somehow they picked this up from me I guess...lol)

I had an offer for her. I asked if they was high.

Seems to me most will want a brindle or blue in the states. black dogs and cats are extrmely hard to rehome. My oldest girl is black, super glossy coat, sweetest, most contrarian dog you could ever meet...lol

Humans are so shallow judging animals on looks
Your furbaby was an excellent match for you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure there are plenty of lookalikes, but this particular thread is about people who message you privately to buy YOUR ring. Not to copy it. They want the one you have and don't want to make their own.

Sorry that was me that went off on a tangent
(Ive been meaning to ask for a while but havn't been brave enough to start a thread)

And yes it is definatly a separate issue to what you bring up which i personally find rather distasteful that this is going on through PS contacts

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My response was to @Daisys and Diamonds ’s question, not a comment to the OP nor her situation.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my dog was a puppy, I used to get strangers coming up to me at the pet store and at the dog park asking to buy her. I was like...just...go buy your own?? Plenty of dogs out there!

Exactly! Had a woman try to buy my dog off me while we were at an outdoor garden center. Followed me around for awhile too after I turned her down. Pretty sure my sweetie dog and I were both starting to growl.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly! Had a woman try to buy my dog off me while we were at an outdoor garden center. Followed me around for awhile too after I turned her down. Pretty sure my sweetie dog and I were both starting to growl.

Gotta watch those garden centre shoppers
When i worked for the rural servicing company we had two staff cats who were very freindly and it was always a worry someone would nick one of them

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to know who these nervy people are. I really do. Am I the only one who wants to know?

And more importantly...

adoptplease.jpg

savethemall.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It is definitely a problem on internet forums that anyone can participate, in whatever way they choose (for a while at least). There are always a few you'd rather not interact with, for good reason. To me, this forum is among the best, though. It's a far more mature acting crowd than many other forums, and with good moderating.

I think of it like a bar or other public space you'd go in real life to socialize or just hang out and observe. You'd enjoy talking to your favorite regulars but of course you'll steer clear of the weirdo in the corner haha.

Of course, too often online I just can't resist giving a nice snip to the weirdo in the corner if they annoy me too much. Then I could slap myself for it, especially when they say something back. Even more so when their stinky little friends join in. When, oh when, will I learn to stay away from the weirdo in the corner. :p

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I want to know who these nervy people are. I really do. Am I the only one who wants to know?

And more importantly...

adoptplease.jpg

savethemall.jpg

My brother and his wife just adopted a senior! She's a 14-year old cat who ended up in a shelter, because her elderly owner went into a nursing home. My brother and I have always adopted, but adopting a senior is super special.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My brother and his wife just adopted a senior! She's a 14-year old cat who ended up in a shelter, because her elderly owner went into a nursing home. My brother and I have always adopted, but adopting a senior is super special.

Ive noticed at the SPCA here the prices are more to adopt a kitten or puppy, less for an adult and less again for a senior

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am glad PS does not have a private messaging function.

DK :))

It is shocking how many people would demand answers in a very rude way to question that reading the forum for 20 min would answer .
Then there were others who were super nice so it was really a mixed experience.
I did meet some super people that I still talk to today and I miss that part of it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im sad the PM function was cut presumably for reasons including this
The PM function on my Springsteen forum has made me so many freinds over the years
I guess at the end of the day it has a smaller focus and as such is eaiser to police

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im sad the PM function was cut presumably for reasons including this
The PM function on my Springsteen forum has made me so many freinds over the years
I guess at the end of the day it has a smaller focus and as such is eaiser to police

I think it’s a form of protection as lots of people are posting pictures of often extremely expensive and valuable items. Less chance for a passer-by to go “phishing”. It often amazes me how much people are willing to reveal on what’s essentially an open forum. Don’t need to be logged in to see the details of their lives!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie your pearls are true treasures and I am so glad you shared their beauty.
They are to the best. Best ever.
I think it’s ok to say “oh, let me be first in line if you want to sell” or “can I come and play in your jeweller box” if it’s said respectfully and as a way to express your admiration of another’s beautiful piece of jewellery but to presume that its ok to message privately and try and arrange a purchase when theres never been a suggestion that the piece is for sale - NO.
Some people seem to think that with enough $$$$ they can have anything and everything they want.
Some things are never for sale.
Some people sold their soul a long time ago.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It amazes me how some folks have no scruples. No boundaries. @Bron357 pointed out it is one thing to openly "hint" that you'd like to be "first in line" but another matter altogether to in private, actively solicit a purchase! SMTB is NOT a call for offers!

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One person made me so uncomfortable I couldn't even respond to her email. She included very private, very personal medical history as the reason why I should sell my ring to her, because it would help her process her grief. It was a guilt trip and I felt so terrible, like I was a bad person for not wanting to sell. But at the same time, she said it so nonchalantly like she just wanted to buy something pretty to "feel better". I wrote an email and never sent it.

That is just terrible. Inconceivable really...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It amazes me how some folks have no scruples. No boundaries. @Bron357 pointed out it is one thing to openly "hint" that you'd like to be "first in line" but another matter altogether to in private, actively solicit a purchase! SMTB is NOT a call for offers!

cheers--Sharon

:lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah! One guy was very adamant about it and even insisted on giving me his phone number if I changed my mind. I took his number just so he would walk away and leave me alone. Never called him of course, doggy is turning 9 this year :) this was when she was about 13 weeks old.

One time, I was on my way to work and complimented someone's dog, saying they looked nice and well behaved- then they asked me if I wanted to take her. They were 100% serious too! I declined lol.

Oh dear. That's just as bad, but going in the opposite direction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results