shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers, how long have you been married or for the single people, how long was your longest relationsh

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 1:23:07 PM
Author: tigian

Date: 5/6/2010 12:51:19 PM
Author:jaysonsmom
Hi ladies and gents. I''ve been reading a lot of threads about splitting up and divorces, and I''m curious see what is the longest you''ve been together with someone. I''m a hopeless romantic, and I hope this thread will inspire people to strive to work on their relationships.....

I''ve been with my husband for 12 years, married for almost 10.

We''ve had our ups and downs and almost called it quits a couple years ago, but we both made changes, and are going strong. Hope to stay together another 10 (I''m only going to shoot for 10 at a time
2.gif
That''s so great that you are able to compromise and make changes for your marriage. Would you be willing to share any of your experiences or suggest anything for maintaining a long lasting marriage?
a lot of diamonds for the wife.
2.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:22:20 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Hi ladies and gents. I''ve been reading a lot of threads about splitting up and divorces, and I''m curious see what is the longest you''ve been together with someone. I''m a hopeless romantic, and I hope this thread will inspire people to strive to work on their relationships.....

We''ve had our ups and downs and almost called it quits a couple years ago, but we both made changes, and are going strong. Hope to stay together another 10 (I''m only going to shoot for 10 at a time
2.gif
That''s so great that you are able to compromise and make changes for your marriage. Would you be willing to share any of your experiences or suggest anything for maintaining a long lasting marriage?
2.gif
How long DF? No skirting the issue.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/6/2010 9:14:33 PM
Author: bebe

1-7-77

33 years married :)
You beat me! But that happens to be a very important anniversary for me. That is the anniversary of the day I flew to France to meet my husband. You married yours the day I met mine!

AGBF
34.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
We've been together 4 years, married for 4.5 months. I was an obnoxious 19yo college sophomore & he was an older grad student...piercings, tattoos & bad-ass.
30.gif
Now he's a nerdy pharmacist & I'm a heck of a lot more mature than I used to be, but we're a better 'fit' for each other than ever before. I can't wait for the rest of our lives!!

My longest relationship pre-DH was a whopping 60 days
3.gif

ETA: Not that 4 years is a super-long time to begin with, but time with DH has absolutely flown by. But in some respects, I feel like we've been together forever... that I've never been without him by my side. I'm curious to know how/if this feeling will change as the years go on.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 10:24:48 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

1-7-77

You beat me! But that happens to be a very important anniversary for me. That is the anniversary of the day I flew to France to meet my husband. You married yours the day I met mine!

Wait a minute! The day and month thing! Is that January the seventh or July the first? I flew to Paris on January 7th of 1977! By March I was married.

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe-you got married the year I graduated from high school
6.gif
DH and I have been married 30 years on 7-12-80. We got married at 20 years old! I am interested to know how old everyone was when they married.
DH and I went to a small christian high school and knew each other but never were even friends. We got together at a church youth group in 79 and married in l980.

He is my best friend and we are still crazy in love!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:30:31 PM
Date: 5/6/2010 10:24:48 PM

Date:

1-7-77

Wait a minute! The day and month thing! Is that January the seventh or July the first?

Deb/AGBF

34.gif
Deb, January 7, 1977 Friday night

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
We''ve known each other for 52 years and been married 47.
9.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:31:05 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Bebe-you got married the year I graduated from high school
6.gif
DH and I have been married 30 years on 7-12-80. We got married at 20 years old! I am interested to know how old everyone was when they married.

DH and I went to a small christian high school and knew each other but never were even friends. We got together at a church youth group in 79 and married in l980.

He is my best friend and we are still crazy in love!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I was born the year you two met! Happy early 30th anniversary to you!

DH and I were 35 and 30, respectively, when we married (we were 34 and 29 when we met...and turn 36 and 31 this summer).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/6/2010 10:33:30 PM

bebe-That is an amazing coincidence! I remember the day I flew because January 7 was my mother's birthday as well as Russian/Greek Orthodox Christmas! For years I used to keep track of the number of days from

when my husband and I met (the 8 of January) to when we became engaged the 19th (11 days). It is so long since I thought about this! He bought me a pair of coral earrings the night he asked me to marry him

in the Kam Lin Chinese restaurant where I ate shrimp egg foo yung (omelette aux crevettes) that night! The earrings were later stolen when our house in Old Greenwich, Connecticut was burgled back in around

1978 or 1979! That was a sentimental loss! We had no engagement ring until we took a train down to Italy and picked one out in Genova!

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/6/2010 10:43:09 PM
Author: isaku5

We''ve known each other for 52 years and been married 47.
9.gif
Congratulations, Isabel!

Deb
34.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I met my husband 20 years ago in February and we''ve been married 19 years at the end of June.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 10:24:16 PM
Author: Gailey

How long DF? No skirting the issue.
wife and i been together for 34 yrs. and have been married for 24 yrs. you wanna know about the mistress too?
innocentwhistle.gif

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
26 years this January! I was 17 and he was 19. I think any amount of time a relationship is intact is worth congratulations, staying together as you mature and change is not always easy and takes deliberate effort to maintain the relationship and as others have said not to let things slide. Looking forward to the next 26 years! (but hoping they don''t go quite so fast!) Seems like yesterday It was a frozen Minnesota January Sat afternoon and my brother who was giving me away put his tux in the trunk of his car then decided he needed to go through the car wash! Needless to say his car did not look so good after they had to pry the frozen trunk open with a crowbar!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been with DH for 11 years, married for almost one year. We''ve never had any huge relationship problems at all so hopefully that will continue in the future.

3.5 years... we will be dating 4 years by the time we get married :)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle,

We are also 30 years this summer!!! 8-9-80.
I need to make a list of all of us who have been married since the 80''s. My children think it was the most exciting time in history.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Pinktower, yeah for 1980!That summer, almost everyone we knew got married! It was the strangest thing! We went to a wedding almost every weekend..!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry, but the calculation for how long my DH and I have had a relationship is far too complex to post here. It generally requires a computer program unless you want to be at it all day.
3.gif
Yeah, it''s strange, don''t ask.

Technically I suppose you could say we''ve been married for almost 2 years? Together on and off in the last 30+ years for a total of 9+ years? Out of sight at times, but never out of mind. Bungee relationship. I think we got married out of sheer exasperation. "Geez....YOU again?? Oh ALRIGHT already, let''s just get married and be done with it."
3.gif
3.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:09:29 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 5/6/2010 7:08:15 PM
Author: Zoe

And HOW do you let things slide? I''m TERRIBLE at that. I don''t let things go, and I know it''s a bad habit. My husband actually noticed that I''ve become pickier and less tolerant about everything since we first met.

I don''t mean to pry, so don''t answer if you don''t feel comfortable.
Zoe, I can''t speak for how others do it, but for me, I''d say it''s an active, conscious choice to let them slide.

When Rich and I first lived under the same roof, it was an adjustment. We had varying standards for ''what''s good enough'' with respect to housekeeping and organization. Things that seemed important to me just didn''t even ping his radar. I''ve told this story before; when we were engaged, I''d gone to the kitchen and found (for what felt like the millionth time) an empty soda bottle on the counter. (He knows one of my pet peeves is crap on the counters). At that moment, I had a ''holy crap, can I reallly go through with this marriage'' moment, not just over the soda bottle but about ''how are we gonna live harmoniously?''

What it felt like to me was ''he knows he''s leaving it there and just doesn''t care that it bothers me.'' When I said something to him about it, he said ''oh, I didn''t realize it was there'', and I just didn''t get that. HOW can you NOT SEE that it''s sitting there??!! He said as calmly and matter-of-factly as you can imagine ''It wasn''t a purposeful thing; I don''t even recall setting it there, but if you point it out to me, I''ll be happy to take care of it. But it doesn''t bother me, so I don''t notice it.''

As we''ve been together, I''ve seen him really try to be more aware and conscious, and he succeeds better at some times and less at others. It''s not that those things have actually become any more important to him; he tries sheerly because he wants to make me happy. There''s a lot to be said for that, and I try to keep that in mind when I decide whether something is worth making an issue over. When he empties the dishwasher, he doesn''t separates the tablespoons from the teaspoons; they all get mixed in together. But really, is the world going to end if the spoons are mixed in? No....no it isn''t, and the fact that I do it that way doesn''t make it ''right''. What''s the worst thing that can happen if the dishwasher isn''t packed better? We have to run it a bit more often....definitely not world-ending.

I don''t want to spend the energy in constant ''nitpick'' mode; it would increase my stress level and certainly his. I know I wouldn''t like constantly being picked at, so I try to be mindful of that when I think about ''is this really worth the airtime?'' If I decide something isn''t worth the airtime, then I have to truly let it go, not just hold onto it for later - LOL.

He''s the person I like most in the world; he''s more deserving of a little bit of slack than anyone else. He takes a similar approach; he decides if something is mission critical before nitpicking me. Because we''re not continually finding fault with each other, I think we tend to be more responsive to each other when things do come up. It''s made day-to-day living much easier to the point that I feel we''ve really hit our groove.
Wow!!! What a great roadmap for one of the most difficult, but essential, ways to make a marriage work. Thank you for sharing that Allison!

And hubby and I married when I was 25, he was 27.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 8:52:33 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 5/6/2010 8:36:44 PM

Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 5/6/2010 8:30:40 PM

Author: Kaleigh

So do Canuck and I get a prize?? LOL!!!!
31.gif

I think AGBF gets the top prize for now....
Yes she does. So Deb , do you want a cake???
1.gif

Canuck and I will be happy to be runners up!!!! Right Sharon?? LOL!!!

Yes, runner up it will have to be!!! I think Isabel has us all beat!!!

But let us eat cake--and for me, I''ll wash it down with some bubbly!

cheers--Sharon

Diamond_Newb

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 2:46:39 AM
Author: lcom
26 years this January! I was 17 and he was 19. I think any amount of time a relationship is intact is worth congratulations, staying together as you mature and change is not always easy and takes deliberate effort to maintain the relationship and as others have said not to let things slide. Looking forward to the next 26 years! (but hoping they don''t go quite so fast!) Seems like yesterday It was a frozen Minnesota January Sat afternoon and my brother who was giving me away put his tux in the trunk of his car then decided he needed to go through the car wash! Needless to say his car did not look so good after they had to pry the frozen trunk open with a crowbar!
I totally agree. I just recently proposed to my GF of almost 11 years (May 21st)....we starting dating when i was 18 and she was 17...growing together has been amazing and i couldnt imagine life without her!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 9:17:14 AM
Author: canuk-gal

But let us eat cake--and for me, I''ll wash it down with some bubbly!

cheers--Sharon
Sharon...is that a polite way of saying Isabel is an old goat?
slap4.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I''ve only been married 4 and 1/2 months but this Sunday we will have been together 9 years
1.gif

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:47:31 PM

Date:
5/6/2010 10:33:30 PM

bebe-That is an amazing coincidence! I remember the day I flew because January 7 was my mother''s birthday as well as Russian/Greek Orthodox Christmas! For years I used to keep track of the number of days from

when my husband and I met (the 8 of January) to when we became engaged the 19th (11 days). It is so long since I thought about this! He bought me a pair of coral earrings the night he asked me to marry him

in the Kam Lin Chinese restaurant where I ate shrimp egg foo yung (omelette aux crevettes) that night! The earrings were later stolen when our house in Old Greenwich, Connecticut was burgled back in around

1978 or 1979! That was a sentimental loss! We had no engagement ring until we took a train down to Italy and picked one out in Genova!

AGBF

34.gif

What a romantic story!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 10:06:00 AM

Date: 5/7/2010 9:17:14 AM
Author: canuk-gal

But let us eat cake--and for me, I'll wash it down with some bubbly!

cheers--Sharon
Sharon...is that a polite way of saying Isabel is an old goat?
slap4.gif
HI:

Naughty DF--quit stirring the pot! I would never say--and my note did not imply--such a thing! Honestly! Congratulation to Isabel--and all us married/together folk!

cheers--Sharon

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 8:06:41 PM
Author: Imdanny
And the people who are gay and live in states where they can''t get married?
They should come here to Canada where they can get married in every province!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
DH and I will have been married 6 years in September and have been together 9 years altogether. I was married before for 12 years and by the time my first husband and I had been married as long as my DH and I have been we had been to marriage counselling for 3 sets of sessions. DH and I are so happy and we get along so well, he is my best friend and we have so much fun together
30.gif
- I thik the key is to pick the right partner!

tigian

Ideal_Rock

2.gif

2.gif
I would say that definitely helps!
9.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 1:13:32 PM

2.gif

2.gif
I would say that definitely helps!
9.gif
It certainly couldn''t hurt!!!!!
11.gif
11.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results