shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers, how long have you been married or for the single people, how long was your longest relationsh

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies and gents. I''ve been reading a lot of threads about splitting up and divorces, and I''m curious see what is the longest you''ve been together with someone. I''m a hopeless romantic, and I hope this thread will inspire people to strive to work on their relationships.....

I''ve been with my husband for 12 years, married for almost 10.

We''ve had our ups and downs and almost called it quits a couple years ago, but we both made changes, and are going strong. Hope to stay together another 10 (I''m only going to shoot for 10 at a time
2.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Been together 5 years - married for 3. We''re very happy!
1.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 12:51:19 PM
Author:jaysonsmom

We've had our ups and downs and almost called it quits a couple years ago, but we both made changes, and are going strong. Hope to stay together another 10 (I'm only going to shoot for 10 at a time
2.gif
You're hilarious!

I have been with my husband unofficially: 1 year, officially: 11 months, and we've been married 10 days.

My longest relationship was 3 years, not counting the on-and-off 3 years prior to that.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Been together 4 years, married for 2. I''ve been hearing about recent divorces within my circle of friends and it makes me sad.
8.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I have been together for 10 and married for almost 2. Before that, my longest relationship was probably less than 2 years. I like DH so I think I''ll keep him for at least another 10.
9.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
DH and I have been married for 7 months, but together for a little over 3 years.

If you ask him, it feels a whole lot longer.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I have been together for 7 years and married for almost 1 year.

Before that my longest relationship was a year and a half, I think.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
DH and I met 11 years ago next month and have been married for 2.5 years. We met when we were still teens, so I went through college, started my career, etc. with DH by my side. Our biggest snag was when DH was afraid to commit, but we''ve moved ahead and I''m excited about all of the next steps in our (near) future!

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
My relationship with my FI is my longest. We''ve been together for 2 years and 3 months and will have been together 2 years and almost 9 months when we are married later this year.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve been together for 6 years, married for 2 years.
I can''t wait for the next 50+ years!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been with my husband for 4 years and 2 months. Married for 22 months. My longest relationship before my husband was just over 2 years.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Been together for 15 years and married for almost 12 years.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
been together for 8 years, definitely been through some ups and downs, broke up for 6 months last year (mostly b/c he wasn't ready to commit) married since October and are now TTC. We are very happy
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif
He's two years older than me, and I always say I want to live to be 100, so he needs to be 102:) Which means we're shooting for the next 69-70 years
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Been together for 28 years , married for 24 and still going strong.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My longest relationship lasted for 7 years (though, in retrospect, it probably ought to have lasted about a tenth as long).

I''ve known my husband for almost 7 years: for 3 we were best friends, for one we were dating, and for two and change, we''ve been married, give or take. :)

His longest relationship prior to me was 7 years, too: I imagine when we get to 7 years together, we''ll have to celebrate especially hard!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is my longest relationship (although all of my previous relationships were pretty long). He is absolutely wonderful and I couldn''t imagine being married to anyone else. He''s perfect for me!
30.gif

We''re celebrating two anniversaries in July: together for 7 years and married for 5 years!
9.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies and gents. I''ve been reading a lot of threads about splitting up and divorces, and I''m curious see what is the longest you''ve been together with someone. I''m a hopeless romantic, and I hope this thread will inspire people to strive to work on their relationships.....

We''ve had our ups and downs and almost called it quits a couple years ago, but we both made changes, and are going strong. Hope to stay together another 10 (I''m only going to shoot for 10 at a time
2.gif
That''s so great that you are able to compromise and make changes for your marriage. Would you be willing to share any of your experiences or suggest anything for maintaining a long lasting marriage?

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
My longest relationship was 9 years (18 - 27).

E B

Ideal_Rock
Together for almost 7 years, married for almost 3 (well, in 4 months).
1.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I have been together for 4.5 yrs, married for 6 months!

Before him, my longest relationship was 2yrs.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Been with DH for 18 months, married for 4 months. He figures we have another 85 years to go as he is living until he is 120...and then of course he did specifically vow for eternity as well. I don't have the same confidence in my own length of life, but do in our own longevity together. It's exciting and I feel very blessed!

Longest relationship before that was 5 years, but most of my relationships have been in the 2 to 5 year range. None of them every quite felt right to follow through to marriage with though (with the exception of one of my earlier relationships who passed away quite suddenly - we may have married but I think I would have been too young really to be truly ready).

I am not a hopeless romantic (though I am not unromantic either!) and have never had a problem being willing to put the effort into a relationship (or into myself as a person). Unfortunately it took me a few years (and life lessons) to learn that there is a big difference between taking on all the work on myself and butting my head against a brick wall, and working as a team together continuously so it never really is something that can really be labeled "work" per say. That, and it took me a while to find someone else who also was committed to same (and of course with whom it just felt absolutely right!).

With DH, even the work does not feel like work. It comes naturally to work together and even becomes enjoyable as we always learn more about each other in the process. I picked a great one (as did he..ha!)
30.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve known him for 10 years, we''ve been together for 6 and married for almost 4.
5.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Twenty Five years this Sept. I believe I''ve earned the Medal of Honor!
2.gif
12.gif

cheers--Sharon

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Together for 16 years, married for 13 years in July. We met and had a LDR on separate continents for the 3 years till we were married. We committed from day 1!

Still in love and I adore the thought of being with him forever. He is truly my other half.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We''ll celebrate our 15th anniversary in July.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I have been together for almost 6 years and married for a year and 3 months. Over the last 6 years we have only continued to grow closer, and I''m very excited about spending the rest of my life with him and seeing where life takes us!
1.gif

We met when I was 16 and he was my first boyfriend - so he is my longest and only relationship.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
We''ve been together for 5.5 years, married for 2 weeks and 6 days.
5.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 1:23:07 PM
Author: tigian

2.gif
That''s so great that you are able to compromise and make changes for your marriage. Would you be willing to share any of your experiences or suggest anything for maintaining a long lasting marriage?

Wow, this will be hard to condense. We were from different sides of the railroad tracks, his family (poor, less educated, alcohol and pot habits, bad manners, cursing etc) and I was raised by strict upper middle-class parents (Christian schools, minding P''s and Q''s, higher education a must). But I fell in love and married him because he was smart, witty, and took risks, and we both loved kids.

I went into the marriage with the thought that he would be a makeover project. When he didn''t act the way I wanted, I gave him the cold shoulder and stopped being a "wife" to him. This made him feel neglected so he turned to drinking more and even to smoking pot behind my back. It became a viscous cycle and we fought a lot, and talked about our differences a lot, and both wanted out.

Two years ago, I put my foot down, and went away with the kids for a weekend to “think”. I decided that happiness stemmed from within oneself. So I decided to start attending church with my kids, and raise them the way I wanted them raised, surrounded myself with supportive friends, and built a warm and safe environment for myself. I also decided to ease up on my husband, and didn’t point out each drink he took or each time he smoked, and I tried to be a more loving wife (in the bedroom) no matter how much effort it took. I told him what I was doing was because we have kids together, and I want him to be there for my kids. Surprisingly, he wanted to do whatever he could for the kids too, and he realized my effort, so he started attending a support group for addictions (through my church) and started doing more family things with me and the kids, and started putting more effort to making me happy because a happy wife creates a happy household (IMO). So I guess my advice would be for the more spiritually mature partner to stop the viscious cycle through forgiveness, and hope that the other partner will follow and see the light.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been with FI just over 3yrs now (wow, that's a long time!). Engaged for 2 (by the time we get married we'll have been engaged longer than we dated, actually). Definitely my longest (and healthiest) relationship... I was not known for dating the same guy for any length of time in college.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 1:32:33 PM
Author: RaiKai

I am not a hopeless romantic (though I am not unromantic either!) and have never had a problem being willing to put the effort into a relationship (or into myself as a person). Unfortunately it took me a few years (and life lessons) to learn that there is a big difference between taking on all the work on myself and butting my head against a brick wall, and working as a team together continuously so it never really is something that can really be labeled ''work'' per say. That, and it took me a while to find someone else who also was committed to same (and of course with whom it just felt absolutely right!).

With DH, even the work does not feel like work. It comes naturally to work together and even becomes enjoyable as we always learn more about each other in the process. I picked a great one (as did he..ha!)
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results