color
clarity

PS Book Club

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, I'm in!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'll be off to find my copy of the book today. I agree a month for a book is ample time for many.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'll pick up a copy of Moonstone as soon as possible as well! I'm excited to join the group :bigsmile:

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
I'm off to get it!! I'm so excited about this book club!! :read:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I didn't mean less than a month per book - my suggestion was to read books in sections and meet to discuss those sections, rather than reading the entire book and meeting to discuss once it's finished. In my book club experience, people forgot half the book by the time we met, but if we met more frequently we could discuss some of the things that happened early on.

Those are just my thoughts. Finishing a book a month could be difficult for me with time commitments and depending on the book (and because I'll be reading other books at the same time), but meeting more than once a month would not - but that's just me. If others can't meet until the book is finished that's fine with me too.

Aryana

Shiny_Rock
I would like to join, too! I've never joined a book club before so I'm not completely positive how they work, but I'll learn as we go along. I'll pick up a copy of the book as soon as I can.

Haven that is wonderful news about your father-in-law. Organ transplants are a miraculous thing. Best wishes for continued positive progress!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Sounds great!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yay, the Moonstone looks great! I'll pick it up this week.

I think reading a book a month and meeting once a week to discuss a section of the book is a great idea. So if, for example, the Moonstone had 20 chapters, we could discuss chapters 1-5 in week one and so on. It will be fun at the end to discuss the book as a whole and to see how our perceptions changed as the story progressed.

Weeknights I agree are good, although time might be an issue with all the different time zones...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Porridge said:
Yay, the Moonstone looks great! I'll pick it up this week.

I think reading a book a month and meeting once a week to discuss a section of the book is a great idea. So if, for example, the Moonstone had 20 chapters, we could discuss chapters 1-5 in week one and so on. It will be fun at the end to discuss the book as a whole and to see how our perceptions changed as the story progressed.

Weeknights I agree are good, although time might be an issue with all the different time zones...

I like this format, as we can see how our perceptions shape up as we read and discuss developments, formulate theories, etc. Personally, I find this makes a good book great (and helps me slog through duller books!). Perhaps we could do discussions every week and then a large meeting once a month?

Because of time zones, I am not very fond of having a fixed time meeting. I would prefer if we just opened up a thread in the Library board and people posted as usual.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven,

Wonderful idea!

I'd love to join a book club that meets in person, but my schedule just shifts too much and I can't commit to going at a set time...

Is there going to be a place where we can talk about the book as we read or is it just specified times where everyone comes together?

Anyway,
I plan to get Moonstone and start reading. I don't get as much time to read as I'd like since I have work and school but I'll certainly try to keep up. (if you don't see me at a scheduled meeting I've got my head in calculus or computer programming :knockout: )

ETA: I think LD's idea is pretty good. A thread to discuss as we read would certainly help with time zones & work/school schedules.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Toopatient - From what I am gathering we will have a discussion thread in the Library. I am not sure though if it will be one per book? Or one for the entire thing.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
If we are breaking it up into sections, maybe we should have different threads (e.g. Moonstone chapters 1-10, Moonstone chapters 11-20 etc) so that there aren't any "spoilers"--- once you've gotten to chapter 10, feel free to post (but don't post stuff that happens in chapter 11!)

Some books have natural "section" breaks, others we may want to divide up by chapters. I just wouldn't want people to NOT participate since they haven't finished the book yet.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool idea. I just got the Sony touch reader. I like it so far.

Haven, I am glad to hear your FIL is doing better. PS get well dust coming his way.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockzilla said:
If we are breaking it up into sections, maybe we should have different threads (e.g. Moonstone chapters 1-10, Moonstone chapters 11-20 etc) so that there aren't any "spoilers"--- once you've gotten to chapter 10, feel free to post (but don't post stuff that happens in chapter 11!)

Some books have natural "section" breaks, others we may want to divide up by chapters. I just wouldn't want people to NOT participate since they haven't finished the book yet.

I think this would work well! As someone else mentioned, it might be hard to meet at a set time every week/month/whatever due to everyone's differing schedules, time zones, etc. So if we do a thread for each section of whatever book we're reading, everyone could participate as they get to that point in the book. =)

ETA: On a related note, I'm trying to upgrade the OS on my HTC Hero so that I'll have a new enough version to run the Kindle app for Android. The process is DRIVING ME CRAZY, so if anyone has any hints or tips, I would VERY much appreciate them!!! :wacko:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is hopping!

Not sure if I can join the book club, but I wanna join the discussion on how to have a PS book club. :rodent:

Seriously, have fun...I'll try and read what's on the list, but I hate reading on any type of schedule. :sick:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
Because of time zones, I am not very fond of having a fixed time meeting. I would prefer if we just opened up a thread in the Library board and people posted as usual.
Oh yes, great idea. It would be more relaxed this way. I had worried a fixed time might get a little frantic, trying to keep up with posts and get opinions out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like breaking it up into different threads is a popular option, so let's go with that.

I'm not usually good with strict weekly reading schedules, so I'm going to say right now that I may not be popping in to the threads until we get to the very end of the book.

I don't have a copy yet, so I'm not sure how best to break it up. Anyone have suggestions? I'll be going to the library in a bit.

Yay for the PS Book Club!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm excited...will be picking up the book this weekend!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My copy is on its way! I left it at my parents' house and my mom agreed to send it over so I didn't have to buy a new copy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
My copy is on its way! I left it at my parents' house and my mom agreed to send it over so I didn't have to buy a new copy.
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm so excited to read a book with my fellow PSers!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
If you have a Kindle, The Moonstone is available for $1.59. That is what I call a bargain :read:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Btw, I love love the idea of having threads for sections of the book so we don't have to meet at a certain time. So convenient!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm off to download it to my Kindle now! I just finished what I was reading, so this is perfect timing! I'm excited!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kindle peeps. I just went over to download it and found a free Kindle edition. I know the editing is sometimes funky on these- it's from 2006. I downloaded it and figured I'd check it out. If it's awful, I can always download the $1.59 version.

On a side note, I score two free books that look decent while I was over there. :bigsmile:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I just got it from the library today - still waiting on my kindle...

If you do have a kindle or e-reader, there are several websites you can get it for FREE - project gutenberg for one...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Yay--can't wait to download Moonstone on my Kindle and start reading! I'm so excited the PS Book Club is happening!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I just realized I wasn't clear as to where I got my free Kindle edition. It was on Amazon. There's a free edition and a pay edition.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered my free kindle edition of Moonstone. I'm sharing my kindle with my daughter this month, so I don't know how much time I'll actually get to read!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just picked up The Moonstone from the library. Can't wait to start reading! Where are we going to meet to discuss it?

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really fun idea! I love to read, and I would love to take part. I don't know if I can do it this time around, since things are very up-in-the-air with me right now. But I will definitely join in when I get settled into a new place/job. I'm more of a library person, and I'm just waiting to move so I can get a new library card!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results