carat
color
clarity

PS Book Club

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean said:
OK I recommend this book, not sure if you've ever heard of it.. "Twilight" ?? :lol: ;)) ;)) kidding.

I won't participate I don't think... but I would love to see some suggestions for books in here. I'm running out of books I haven't read... :mrgreen:

Bean, you are fired just for suggesting the T-word. Kidding! Your post was hilarious, though!

ETA: I guess I DO discriminate, what a hypocrite am I...I've not been able to get behind vampire novels for discussion purposes. I have certainly humored a friend or two by reading their loaned paperbacks of the Twilight series in recent years, though. Yeesh--I'm almost tempted to see that Vampires Suck movie due out soon! But, Bella seems cute in the books although I haven't been to see or rented a single film in the series. Some of my friends would die--shhh...don't tell.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I love this - can we read the same books as my local book club? hahaha

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not as enthusiastic or amenable to just signing on as some of you. I would love to "join" if you pick a book (or books...I am assuming that this will be ongoing) that I can read with pleasure. I am not about to read non-fiction books about gems, however! I like to read books about people! Some of the books already suggested sounded good (actually, I am referring to The Moonstone, which is one discrete book)! I like mysteries. I also like having something about which to talk, however! Good novels require points of discussion.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm certainly in and will read just about anything! PSers make up my "dream" book club!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Im in, I tend to read junk but if we were discussing it I would make the effort to read something with a little substance. So better hurry up and finish my current book about a highland warrior and heaving bosoms right? :tongue:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought- How about "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley? It is about King Arthur and that whole lot, but told from the perspective of the women. It's a great book and really gives some insight into women's lives and minds.... Also "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant was a fabulous book, also about women and their strengths, struggles, and triumphs.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'll join in, as I'll have a lot of free time coming up.

Could I suggest The Poisonwood Bible? Also anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

For Non Fiction... Dance of the Dissident daughter. It is so worth the read.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will definitely post that list soon! ABGF, the books I was thinking of aren't actually non-fiction, for the most part: they're mysteries, thrillers, and romances set in the world of gems. Everything from Elizabeth Lowell to Gerald A. Browne.

But if we're talking general fiction ... I would totally be up for a reading of Mists of Avalon! Alternately, I've been wanting to read Mary McCarthy's The Group for ages. It follows 8 women who graduate from Vassar in the 30s and 40s, and it inspired a rewrite called The Fortunate Age that I quite enjoyed. Now I want to read the original, and I'd love some company with which to do it .... Or, alternately ... any Tana French fans in the room? I am dying to get my hands on a copy of Faithful Place. :rodent:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with! Count me in.

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
I'm in!! We need to decide on a timetable too. Do we read a book a month, a week, a day :loopy: Ok, so maybe not one a day, after all we do still have to keep up with the everchanging PS threads! :D But heck, who needs sleep anyhow!! :rolleyes:

Ok, seriously now, what should be the first book??? :read:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I'll join in, as I'll have a lot of free time coming up.

Could I suggest The Poisonwood Bible? Also anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

For Non Fiction... Dance of the Dissident daughter. It is so worth the read.

I love Barbara Kingsolver!!! Prodigal Summer was also really good!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe said:
I will definitely post that list soon! ABGF, the books I was thinking of aren't actually non-fiction, for the most part: they're mysteries, thrillers, and romances set in the world of gems. Everything from Elizabeth Lowell to Gerald A. Browne.

Circe, those sound great!!! Since I am old, and have been reading all my life, I have read a number of the books mentioned. I won't be a spoiler, however. If you all keep it to good fiction, I will reread. (I am such a bigmouth that I will probably spout off if I hated a certain book, though. So far none of the ones mentioned that I have read fall into that category, though. In fact, I loved The Poisonwood Bible.)

AGBF

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, first I just want to tell you all how ecstatic I am that you're interested in a PS book club. I held off on posting about it for a while because I feared it wouldn't be well received. (And can I just say that it is infinitely easier to keep track of book recommendations on an online forum than it is via email? I need to create a forum for my real-life book club.)

Here are all of the suggestions made thus far. If there's a particular book you'd prefer to read first, let us know! (If I overlooked a book already suggested, or if you'd like to suggest another, let us know about that, too.)

I'm linking each to Amazon for all the Kindle folks.

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
http://www.amazon.com/Poisonwood-Bi...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109368&sr=1-1

Dance of the Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Disside...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109395&sr=1-1

The Mists of Avalon, Marian Zimmer Bradley
http://www.amazon.com/Mists-Avalon-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109430&sr=1-1

The Red Tent, Anita Diamant
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Nove...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109450&sr=1-1

The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins (Is that Amey's stone on the cover? ;)) )
http://www.amazon.com/Moonstone-Wil...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109472&sr=1-1

The French Blue, Richard Wise
http://www.amazon.com/French-Blue-R...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109540&sr=1-1

The Group, Mary McCarthy
http://www.amazon.com/Group-Mary-Mc...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109561&sr=1-1

Faithful Place, Tana French
http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Plac...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109611&sr=1-1

Gabriel Garcia Marquez
http://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-Garci...C/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1281109648&sr=1-2-ent

Elizabeth Lowell
http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Lowell/e/B000AQ50E0/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1281109670&sr=1-2-ent

Gerald A. Browne
http://www.amazon.com/Gerald-A.-Browne/e/B000AQ267O/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1281109687&sr=1-2-ent

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
I'm not as enthusiastic or amenable to just signing on as some of you. I would love to "join" if you pick a book (or books...I am assuming that this will be ongoing) that I can read with pleasure. I am not about to read non-fiction books about gems, however! I like to read books about people! Some of the books already suggested sounded good (actually, I am referring to The Moonstone, which is one discrete book)! I like mysteries. I also like having something about which to talk, however! Good novels require points of discussion.

Deb/AGBF

what she said.

mz

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in too. :appl:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a good idea to have the option to sit out if a book is something we don't think we'll finish. That is one of the things that has always held me back from joining regular book clubs here. If Bridget Jones' Diary was picked... honestly... I'd not be too excited to read it. Whereas if we picked something like The Mysts of Avalon, I'm more likely to read it AND offer a mindful discussion. Do you think this would be agreeable to everyone? I also wouldn't want the group to NOT pick a book just because I don't like it, and I'm sure others feel the same.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven said:
Here are all of the suggestions made thus far. If there's a particular book you'd prefer to read first, let us know!

The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins (Is that Amey's stone on the cover? ;)) )
http://www.amazon.com/Moonstone-Wil...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281109472&sr=1-1

I prefer The Moonstone. It is about a gem (apparently); it was suggested early in our discussion; and I have not yet read it. If we could stay with good fiction related to gems and gold, I'd be happier than if we read general fiction. (It would keep the reading list peculiar to Pricescope and it would also keep me from having to reread a lot of books!)

Deb/AGBF

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would love to! I've never had a successful real life book club, because it's so hard for people to find a time to get together. Maybe virtual will work better because I can stop in whenever I get a chance.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I think it is a good idea to have the option to sit out if a book is something we don't think we'll finish. That is one of the things that has always held me back from joining regular book clubs here. If Bridget Jones' Diary was picked... honestly... I'd not be too excited to read it. Whereas if we picked something like The Mysts of Avalon, I'm more likely to read it AND offer a mindful discussion. Do you think this would be agreeable to everyone? I also wouldn't want the group to NOT pick a book just because I don't like it, and I'm sure others feel the same.
Of course you can sit out if you don't want to read a particular book! I think the beauty of an online book club is that it is much easier to drop in and out than it is in a real-life book club.

And I completely understand that some don't want to join until you know what's being read, but for anyone who feels that way: This is your opportunity to have a voice in choosing what is read. Don't just sit back and hope we choose something that you'll enjoy, speak up and tell us what you'd prefer to read.

As anyone who has ever been involved in a "real" book club probably knows--everyone isn't going to be excited about every single book that's chosen to read. That is okay. You can sit it out, or you can choose to read the book and share your ideas about why you didn't enjoy it. The best discussions I've ever had about books were with people who had very different opinions on what we read.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Moonstone looks very good to me. I would like to vote for that one, as well.

The biggest drawback about an online book club is that it will be missing one major component: food. (And drink.) It will be interesting to see how different it feels to discuss the book without the cozy component of sharing a meal, and curling up on sofas with hot drinks afterward.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm in too! What will be the structure of the book club? Shall we "meet" at Library on a given date/time?

Haven said:
The Moonstone looks very good to me. I would like to vote for that one, as well.

The biggest drawback about an online book club is that it will be missing one major component: food. (And drink.) It will be interesting to see how different it feels to discuss the book without the cozy component of sharing a meal, and curling up on sofas with hot drinks afterward.

Haven, I promise to have a good snack whenever I sit to read and then enjoy a glass of wine as we are discussing the book :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
I'm in too! What will be the structure of the book club? Shall we "meet" at Library on a given date/time?

Haven, I promise to have a good snack whenever I sit to read and then enjoy a glass of wine as we are discussing the book :bigsmile:
I think it would be great if we could "meet" at a certain time. I loved the way the old election discussions felt when everyone was posting rapid-fire during the debates, it would be fun to try to convene at the same time, if possible.

I'm going to eat something during our meetings, too! That's a great idea!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:

Haven said:

I'm on board for The Moonstone, and for meeting at a certain time in the Library. Unfortunately, I'll be abroad for a couple weeks so I don't know how much I'll be able to post this time, but in general, I think this is a great idea. It might be hard to find one time that works for everyone, but maybe if we have a couple set times each week, people can pop in during the slot that works.

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
Octavia said:
fiery said:

Haven said:

I'm on board for The Moonstone, and for meeting at a certain time in the Library. Unfortunately, I'll be abroad for a couple weeks so I don't know how much I'll be able to post this time, but in general, I think this is a great idea. It might be hard to find one time that works for everyone, but maybe if we have a couple set times each week, people can pop in during the slot that works.

I think that is a great idea!! I second it!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of meeting times in the Library, and I will totally be noshing. We could share our eats, and discuss the book! I'll read Moonstone first if that is the decided! I'm up for anything really.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great :appl: if we do decide on the moonstone i found this free version on Project Gutenberg for those with e-readers...

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/155

sigh, now i really want my kindle ;( bleh, and it doesnt ship til August 27...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven said:
I think it would be great if we could "meet" at a certain time. I loved the way the old election discussions felt when everyone was posting rapid-fire during the debates, it would be fun to try to convene at the same time, if possible.

As soon as someone mentioned meeting at the same time I, also, thought of the debates! Although I was not one of the steady participants in the debates, I loved those threads! Sometimes I couldn't be present at the keyboard during the actual debates. I am not as good at multi-tasking as you younger women. I like to sit and think. That makes me more of a read-now-and-post-later person. I prefer to e-mail than to IM or chat or text. Actually I disabled IMs soon after seeing what they did to my life. (I felt driven to distraction. I had no peace. Wherever I went on the computer, people intruded on me!) And I never learned to text. I don't give out my cell phone number (which I also don't know) since I carry a cell phone only in case I have an emergency on the road. I really do not wish to be available to anyone. I liked the days when I had one telephone in the house and there was no answering machine and people knew they had to keep ringing because no one ran for the phone. If no one answered the phone, it was the job of the caller to call back later. I think I am digressing. I started out planning to discuss books. I think Haven said that anyone who had been in a book club knew that no member is always happy with all the books a club chooses to read. I certainly found that to be true. That's how I wound up being introduced to Maeve Binchy. And I foisted Georgette Heyer onto a bunch of women who didn't appreciate her!

Deb/AGBF

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to join! I vote for The Moonstone also.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I am also in! The Moonstone sounds very interesting. I have been in a book club before and I have been looking forward to finding another one to participate in. Thanks for throwing out the suggestion Haven!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results