shape
carat
color
clarity

Professional opinion on lab diamond

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Definitely! After yours and Kim N's comments, I went ahead and ordered the 1.81 since they wouldn't place on hold. But now that I look at the others that you and Kim N suggested, they are way more per carat without the scope images. Does this mean they would be better quality? And how would someone like me know if there are any concerns of leakage just based on the images of the stone itself? Sorry for all the questions, but this is pretty interesting stuff!

Not necessarily better quality, but Kim N (and many other wonderful PS'ers) and I do scrutinize as best as we can things like material quality (graining, clouding), cut precision (check for things like pavilion twist, over-obstruction, paddling), and overall optical performance. :)

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Not necessarily better quality, but Kim N (and many other wonderful PS'ers) and I do scrutinize as best as we can things like material quality (graining, clouding), cut precision (check for things like pavilion twist, over-obstruction, paddling), and overall optical performance. :)

Yes you do! I don't doubt any suggestions that you all give. I just don't know how to choose from the choices given. o_O
It comes down to the 1.81 that I just purchased (which can be canceled), 2.12, 2.16 and 2.07. I don't mind losing a little size for quality, but don't want to if I don't have to.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes you do! I don't doubt any suggestions that you all give. I just don't know how to choose from the choices given. o_O
It comes down to the 1.81 that I just purchased (which can be canceled), 2.12, 2.16 and 2.07. I don't mind losing a little size for quality, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Video:

Grading report:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Melissa Dillingham, you're in the wonderful position of being faced with several excellent choices. Here are some things to consider.

Although extra images are helpful, there are ways to rule out stones without them. Even without the extra images, the experts here were able to see that some of the stones weren't great. Pavilion twist can be assessed from the rotating videos. Some of the obstruction and leakage can also be seen by experts without those extra images.

At this price point, I assume you're going for a stone which will give you great bang for your buck. You're not necessarily going for a "perfect" stone, in which case you're in a higher price bracket and looking at branded stones like Jann Paul, Brian Gavin, Whiteflash, etc.

If all the extra images would give you peace of mind, Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem has all the machines and can personally give you all of the reports - ASET, Sarin, etc. He's got a 2.17 E VS1 for $1995, and he's a PSer.
https://www.distinctivegem.com/prod...-2-18ct-e-vs1-igi-ideal-cut-lab-grown-diamond

One thing to consider is Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS) which is very real. The 1.81 is great buy right now, but really think about whether or not it's the best long term buy. We get accustomed to a new stone quickly ... and then many wish they had spent just a little more and picked something a tad larger. As we say here, the pinch of the price only ouches you once, and then you enjoy your stone forever.

Bang for your buck is a combination of a great stone, right price and peace of mind. The data/images/angles/prices can only bring you so far. This hopefully will be a lifelong loving relationship, not just with the stone but also with the memory of the process.

I wrote a lot - hopefully it didn't confuse you even more. We're all excited for you! You've got so many great options!

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Have you seen this one? I’m sure Rhino would be happy to provide you with any information you want.

@Melissa Dillingham, you're in the wonderful position of being faced with several excellent choices. Here are some things to consider.

Although extra images are helpful, there are ways to rule out stones without them. Even without the extra images, the experts here were able to see that some of the stones weren't great. Pavilion twist can be assessed from the rotating videos. Some of the obstruction and leakage can also be seen by experts without those extra images.

At this price point, I assume you're going for a stone which will give you great bang for your buck. You're not necessarily going for a "perfect" stone, in which case you're in a higher price bracket and looking at branded stones like Jann Paul, Brian Gavin, Whiteflash, etc.

If all the extra images would give you peace of mind, Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem has all the machines and can personally give you all of the reports - ASET, Sarin, etc. He's got a 2.17 E VS1 for $1995, and he's a PSer.
https://www.distinctivegem.com/prod...-2-18ct-e-vs1-igi-ideal-cut-lab-grown-diamond

One thing to consider is Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS) which is very real. The 1.81 is great buy right now, but really think about whether or not it's the best long term buy. We get accustomed to a new stone quickly ... and then many wish they had spent just a little more and picked something a tad larger. As we say here, the pinch of the price only ouches you once, and then you enjoy your stone forever.

Bang for your buck is a combination of a great stone, right price and peace of mind. The data/images/angles/prices can only bring you so far. This hopefully will be a lifelong loving relationship, not just with the stone but also with the memory of the process.

I wrote a lot - hopefully it didn't confuse you even more. We're all excited for you! You've got so many great options!

You're right. My problem is peace of mind from knowing that I overpaid after the fact. I literally stumbled onto this forum a couple of days after ordering what I thought was my dream ring. And it is beautiful, don't get me wrong. If he gave me this ring as a surprise, I would be over the moon and never question a thing! But I did all the research and had no one to ask questions to prior to purchasing. Oh how I would've LOVED to get everyone's opinions and recommendations during the research process! I know I would've picked the perfect stone the first time and I wouldn't be doubting myself right now.

So part of this is me wanting to learn. Me playing the game of finding the perfect stone and checking to see how I did. I admit that I got ahead of myself with purchasing the 1.81. After I saw "fantastic" and "beautiful diamond" from the pros, I wanted to snatch it up before someone else did. I have those eyes that see flaws and once I see them, it's all I see. I hate that my brain picks everything apart like that and strives for perfection, but it does. I believe this is why the images are important to me so that I can see perfect symmetry for myself. It's not that I'm doubting the pros at all, I'm just wondering how someone like me with an untrained eye can spot certain things that aren't in the proportions and the grading report. I guess I need to see it too.

Shrinkage is something that I'm a little afraid of because I understand its very real. Especially since I've been looking at this 2.09 for about 10 days now. My main objective is to get the most bang for my buck but I'm nowhere near my budget cap with the 1.81, so it seems silly to downgrade in size. Even though I'd rather have quality over carat weight any day, I know I don't have to.

I tried to see the one you sent but couldn't pull it up. I was probably too late.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock

Video:

Grading report:

This is gorgeous! You're killing me over here with all of these great choices! I'm going to need to cancel the order on the 1.81. I know I'm at a decent price point where I don't have to settle, so I'm not going to. I hope you saw my previous reply about not doubting the recommendations from you and the others... I'm just the one who is interested to know "why" and "how".

Is this the most bang for my buck or should I splurge for one of the VVS1s that y'all suggested? I paid $4600 for the 2.09 stone that I have now, so I'm fine with the price of the other stones suggested that were much better quality than this one.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous! You're killing me over here with all of these great choices! I'm going to need to cancel the order on the 1.81. I know I'm at a decent price point where I don't have to settle, so I'm not going to. I hope you saw my previous reply about not doubting the recommendations from you and the others... I'm just the one who is interested to know "why" and "how".

Is this the most bang for my buck or should I splurge for one of the VVS1s that y'all suggested? I paid $4600 for the 2.09 stone that I have now, so I'm fine with the price of the other stones suggested that were much better quality than this one.

Since you've been looking at the 2.09 for over a week, I wouldn't go any smaller than that. 0.2mm is around the point where the eyes can detect a size difference, so I suggest sticking with 8.25mm or bigger.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.17 that 0-0-0 and 0515vision posted has been sold, but here's another one to consider.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

This most recent one I posted should have great fire under direct lighting due to its proportions and angles. VS1 is perfectly safe. Material quality looks great.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
This most recent one I posted should have great fire under direct lighting due to its proportions and angles. VS1 is perfectly safe. Material quality looks great.

Thanks. I have the 2.01 that you sent on hold for me. When I went to cancel the 1.8, they offered to switch out stones and charge us the difference so I looked at what they had today. I saw this and noticed it's quite more per carat than the 1.81. I was wondering your thoughts as to why. Would a color and clarity bump cost that much more ($1511/ct for $3142 vs I think $1060/ct for the 1.81)? And is there any blue nuance going on at all?

https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332860027

We'll likely be going with your recommendation of the 2.01. The only reason I'd go with this one would be ease of transaction unless you think the quality is exceptional. They're both on hold at the moment.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I’m not an expert, but I’m not seeing blue nuance in the 2.08.

As far as pricing is concerned, I stand by my comment that diamond pricing is just shy of arbitrary. These vendors don’t “own” the stones on their sites. They work with many vendors, and those vendors price independently. The website company then has to build in profit on top of the vendor price. Some of the super experts here can tell when stones are from the same cutter, but most of us have no ability to distinguish stones from different vendors.

Pricing also jumps when crossing the whole carat mark. That is, the jump from 1.96 to 2.01 will feel substantial bc ppl like the feel of the next carat size. This was problematic in mined diamond cutting bc it was advantageous to cut suboptimally in order to preserve precious carat weight.

Ooooo you’re getting close! Excited for you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I have the 2.01 that you sent on hold for me. When I went to cancel the 1.8, they offered to switch out stones and charge us the difference so I looked at what they had today. I saw this and noticed it's quite more per carat than the 1.81. I was wondering your thoughts as to why. Would a color and clarity bump cost that much more ($1511/ct for $3142 vs I think $1060/ct for the 1.81)? And is there any blue nuance going on at all?

https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332860027

We'll likely be going with your recommendation of the 2.01. The only reason I'd go with this one would be ease of transaction unless you think the quality is exceptional. They're both on hold at the moment.

Looks.like a solid diamond, but the price per carat is substantially more than the 2.01, so the 2.01 wins, in my opinion.
You're protected by a return policy, and Adiamor has the 2.01 listed so have them price match it:

Screenshot_20231230-190202-198.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to throw one more option into the mix. 8.5mm for a little over $1900. Designated H&A on the report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results