shape
carat
color
clarity

Professional opinion on lab diamond

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to settle my anxiety on the diamond we chose. I did extensive research on lab diamonds, HPHT vs CVD, diamond proportions, etc. When it was time to make the final decision, this stone kept catching my eye over all of the others. It is IGI excellent, which is totally outside of what I was looking for (ideal proportions and beauty without the "True Hearts" markup in price). There are so many ideal stones on James Allen's website that look better than some TH, IMO. This is one of them. One thing that I was concerned with was the blue tint often found in HPHT diamonds since my eye tends to gravitate towards warmer whites rather than cooler ones, which is one reason I chose this one. Even though it is excellent rather than ideal, my eyes kept going back. Especially since it scored 0.9 on HCA (EX, EX, EX, VG with a total score of EX)!

This ring is ordered, has been produced and is in QC now preparing to be shipped and I am having second thoughts. Since I can't seem to stay off the internet, I have now developed a fear that I should've went with an ideal for the best light return, even though this one caught my eye over the others. Can someone please let me know if we made a good choice? I don't care how it is listed on the report as far as cut grade, I just want the most sparkle for our money. Am I getting hung up on words or does this stone seem exceptional for an excellent cut? Thanks!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping to settle my anxiety on the diamond we chose. I did extensive research on lab diamonds, HPHT vs CVD, diamond proportions, etc. When it was time to make the final decision, this stone kept catching my eye over all of the others. It is IGI excellent, which is totally outside of what I was looking for (ideal proportions and beauty without the "True Hearts" markup in price). There are so many ideal stones on James Allen's website that look better than some TH, IMO. This is one of them. One thing that I was concerned with was the blue tint often found in HPHT diamonds since my eye tends to gravitate towards warmer whites rather than cooler ones, which is one reason I chose this one. Even though it is excellent rather than ideal, my eyes kept going back. Especially since it scored 0.9 on HCA (EX, EX, EX, VG with a total score of EX)!

This ring is ordered, has been produced and is in QC now preparing to be shipped and I am having second thoughts. Since I can't seem to stay off the internet, I have now developed a fear that I should've went with an ideal for the best light return, even though this one caught my eye over the others. Can someone please let me know if we made a good choice? I don't care how it is listed on the report as far as cut grade, I just want the most sparkle for our money. Am I getting hung up on words or does this stone seem exceptional for an excellent cut? Thanks!

The angles fall right in the PS sweet spot for balanced light return. If you saw it and love it, you can be confident.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I keep telling myself that I chose this one over the others for a reason and to just trust it. I haven't seen it in person yet. Only the video on the site.

I bet it will be beautiful and you'll love it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You picked an excellent one! I think you're going to love it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Melissa Dillingham!
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I'm seeing some possibile indications of crown and pavilion digging, reducing some light return under the table and causing some spots of darkening around the perimeter of the crown.

Screenshot_20231210-203324-994.png

Definitive? No...might merely be the way the video presents the diamond and it may very well be just fine.
Was this one priced around $4700?

When you receive it and if anything just seems a bit off with it, then we can definitely assist with finding some alternatives if you're interested.

Example (this one way get sniped by an anonymous lurker in short order):
I found this one listed at LooseGrownDiamond priced at $2695 and listed at Brilliance priced at $2598 after 20% discount code.

(360 rotational video here)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I'm seeing some possibile indications of crown and pavilion digging, reducing some light return under the table and causing some spots of darkening around the perimeter of the crown.

Definitive? No...might merely be the way the video presents the diamond and it may very well be just fine.

When you receive it and if anything just seems a bit off with it, then we can definitely assist with finding some alternatives if you're interested.

I found this one listed at LooseGrownDiamond priced at $2695 and listed at Brilliance priced at $2598 after 20% discount code.

I think some of that may be the photographer wearing a brownish/dark shirt. An ASET image would be very helpful to confirm.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock

It was just under $4700. In all of my research, I never heard of painting or digging so I had to look it up. If that is the case, is it possible that is the reason for a decrease in cut grade? If it doesn't perform as I think it should, I would love some help! I wish I would've known about this forum a few weeks ago.
Also, would an ideal grading keep me safe from things like this that isn't obvious to the average consumer?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
It was just under $4700. In all of my research, I never heard of painting or digging so I had to look it up. If that is the case, is it possible that is the reason for a decrease in cut grade? If it doesn't perform as I think it should, I would love some help! I wish I would've known about this forum a few weeks ago.
Also, would an ideal grading keep me safe from things like this that isn't obvious to the average consumer?

Possibly, but even ideal grading is not a guarantee of a good performing diamond. There are many ways diamond cutters can cheat the system.

But in your case I think it’s most likely just the video setup that JA uses. BN uses a similar video setup and they make diamonds look like that sometimes. I bought a diamond that looks similar to yours in the video but it checks out in person just fine. 947837

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
I think some of that may be the photographer wearing a brownish/dark shirt. An ASET image would be very helpful to confirm.

I sure hope so! Would a local jeweler be able to help with ASET scope with the stone being mounted already?

Possibly, but even ideal grading is not a guarantee of a good performing diamond. There are many ways diamond cutters can cheat the system.

But in your case I think it’s most likely just the video setup that JA uses. BN uses a similar video setup and they make diamonds look like that sometimes. I bought a diamond that looks similar to yours in the video but it checks out in person just fine. IMG_1352.jpeg

Thank you for your response and that's good to know. I'm hoping to see it through some scopes during the return period to be certain (also hoping to get good results with the stone being mounted already). I appreciate all of the feedback! I really wish I would've known about this forum sooner.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure hope so! Would a local jeweler be able to help with ASET scope with the stone being mounted already?

Most local jewelers will not have an ASET scope, but you can buy one yourself.

Evaluating the stone's performance in lots of different lighting conditions and looking for edge-to-edge brightness will also be helpful.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Most local jewelers will not have an ASET scope, but you can buy one yourself.

Evaluating the stone's performance in lots of different lighting conditions and looking for edge-to-edge brightness will also be helpful.

Thank you! I'll definitely be testing it in all different types of lighting and will purchase an ASET as well. Would an ideal scope be helpful as well or just the ASET will suffice?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Just curious...but if you need a little plastic device to notice a defect......how important is the defect?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you! I'll definitely be testing it in all different types of lighting and will purchase an ASET as well. Would an ideal scope be helpful as well or just the ASET will suffice?

Please don't take my question above as questioning the desire to get a really well cut stone. Of course that's important.
This quote brings up an important point- any diamond will look better in some lighting environments than others. Tilting the diamond will produce differing results...
My point? Use your eyes. They are the only tool that really counts

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Please don't take my question above as questioning the desire to get a really well cut stone. Of course that's important.
This quote brings up an important point- any diamond will look better in some lighting environments than others. Tilting the diamond will produce differing results...
My point? Use your eyes. They are the only tool that really counts

I am not at all offended by your question. It's actually a good one and to be honest, I would have second guessed myself if it were a flawless stone cut by the greatest diamond cutter in the world! I need to see it in person before I question its performance on paper. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome!
It's an interesting dynamic.
Diamonds are expensive and a source of much interest. Therefore, detailed discussions are a natural result.
From my perspective, it can easily turn into a case of TMI.
Don't let yourself loose the reason you want a diamond in the first place...it's an amazing little rock.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

The ASET gives more information than the IS, so no point in getting an IS as well. The ASET/IS simply makes it easier to spot issues if you don’t have a known well cut diamond to compare with side by side.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
The ASET gives more information than the IS, so no point in getting an IS as well. The ASET/IS simply makes it easier to spot issues if you don’t have a known well cut diamond to compare with side by side.

Thanks! I may just wait to see how it performs in person and just use an ASET to answer any questions I still may have as far as light return.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Awesome!
It's an interesting dynamic.
Diamonds are expensive and a source of much interest. Therefore, detailed discussions are a natural result.
From my perspective, it can easily turn into a case of TMI.
Don't let yourself loose the reason you want a diamond in the first place...it's an amazing little rock.

TMI indeed! Man how I wish I would've known about this forum a few weeks ago! I went as far down the rabbit hole I could go on lab diamonds and it's pretty fascinating but had no where to ask questions. I've learned so much over the last couple of days reading this forum.

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I keep telling myself that I chose this one over the others for a reason and to just trust it. I haven't seen it in person yet. Only the video on the site.

I just pulled the same move as you! Your story sounds like me telling my ring adventure and how I wound up with a round brilliant 2.13 ct, Ideal cut, G, VS2, IGI stone with the solitaire setting I picked out that will be here tomorrow. I said the same thing. Even with all the knowledge I learned on here and the do’s and dont’s, I didn’t ask for opinions either on here before buying it or posting the videos either. But it felll in Kim’s parameters and looks its weight face up. Got a 9.3 on its cut score. And like you said something just felt right so I pulled the trigger on my own. You’re going to love yours! I just know we both will love what we did cause we bought with a sign telling us too from our hearts taken the knowledge we had learned from here as welll!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given that you sound like a diamond novice, I am guessing that even if there were minimally better cut diamond in existence, and even if you had it side by side with this one to compare, you would not be able to see the difference. Most diamonds are cut like crap, but this one is cut very very nicely. It will probably blow you away in the right lighting, especially compared to most commercial cut junk. Look at it in lots of lighting environments when you get it. And enjoy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it is a dark shirt reflecting. As you see the diamond turn it is also reflecting a lot of black from all the facets. I would not be concerned.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
I just pulled the same move as you! Your story sounds like me telling my ring adventure and how I wound up with a round brilliant 2.13 ct, Ideal cut, G, VS2, IGI stone with the solitaire setting I picked out that will be here tomorrow. I said the same thing. Even with all the knowledge I learned on here and the do’s and dont’s, I didn’t ask for opinions either on here before buying it or posting the videos either. But it felll in Kim’s parameters and looks its weight face up. Got a 9.3 on its cut score. And like you said something just felt right so I pulled the trigger on my own. You’re going to love yours! I just know we both will love what we did cause we bought with a sign telling us too from our hearts taken the knowledge we had learned from here as welll!!!

Mine should be here tomorrow (the date kept changing from the day of the original post). I'll be updating this post as soon as I can see it perform under different lighting conditions. I can't wait to hear about yours!

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Given that you sound like a diamond novice, I am guessing that even if there were minimally better cut diamond in existence, and even if you had it side by side with this one to compare, you would not be able to see the difference. Most diamonds are cut like crap, but this one is cut very very nicely. It will probably blow you away in the right lighting, especially compared to most commercial cut junk. Look at it in lots of lighting environments when you get it. And enjoy!

I will probably spend at least the better part of a day testing in different lighting conditions once it gets here, which should be tomorrow (it's finally shipping today). I can't wait and am pretty sure it will blow me away and make me feel bad for doubting it! Thanks for this! I'll be updating this thread once I get it and am able to test it in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I will probably spend at least the better part of a day testing in different lighting conditions once it gets here, which should be tomorrow (it's finally shipping today). I can't wait and am pretty sure it will blow me away and make me feel bad for doubting it! Thanks for this! I'll be updating this thread once I get it and am able to test it in person.

Looking forward to your review...and hopefully LOTS of pictures and videos! :D

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Mine should be here tomorrow (the date kept changing from the day of the original post). I'll be updating this post as soon as I can see it perform under different lighting conditions. I can't wait to hear about yours!

Again, same with me! The date keeps changing as to when it will be arriving. in my last post I thought today....but postponed again. Def keep us posted! I can't wait to see both of ours!! LOL. Wiitng stinks

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Looking forward to your review...and hopefully LOTS of pictures and videos! :D

Hey! Still in process of getting pics and videos with the holidays and such. It looks great, but I am highly considering ordering another loose diamond to compare while I'm still in the return period. I am looking into GCAL 8x diamonds just to be safe that I'm getting the best cut possible without seeing in person. What are your thoughts on this and is there anything specific I should look for in these (optical brilliance and optical symmetry images)? I'd post examples, but there are only a very small amount of HPHT stones that fall into my specs and one has already been sold since yesterday!
My biggest concern at this point is that I'm pretty certain we've overpaid, so trying to get other options while we have a chance to change our minds. Even if its light performance is amazing (and it really is great), I feel like we can get an even better cut for far less than what we paid for this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results