shape
carat
color
clarity

Professional opinion on lab diamond

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey! Still in process of getting pics and videos with the holidays and such. It looks great, but I am highly considering ordering another loose diamond to compare while I'm still in the return period. I am looking into GCAL 8x diamonds just to be safe that I'm getting the best cut possible without seeing in person. What are your thoughts on this and is there anything specific I should look for in these (optical brilliance and optical symmetry images)? I'd post examples, but there are only a very small amount of HPHT stones that fall into my specs and one has already been sold since yesterday!
My biggest concern at this point is that I'm pretty certain we've overpaid, so trying to get other options while we have a chance to change our minds. Even if its light performance is amazing (and it really is great), I feel like we can get an even better cut for far less than what we paid for this one.

Let us make some recommendations - my preference would be to find you some diamonds with clean HPHT material and equal or better in the color and clarity grades with smaller tables and angles that maybe drive a bit more fire.
Any thoughts on budget cap?

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Hey! Still in process of getting pics and videos with the holidays and such. It looks great, but I am highly considering ordering another loose diamond to compare while I'm still in the return period. I am looking into GCAL 8x diamonds just to be safe that I'm getting the best cut possible without seeing in person. What are your thoughts on this and is there anything specific I should look for in these (optical brilliance and optical symmetry images)? I'd post examples, but there are only a very small amount of HPHT stones that fall into my specs and one has already been sold since yesterday!
My biggest concern at this point is that I'm pretty certain we've overpaid, so trying to get other options while we have a chance to change our minds. Even if its light performance is amazing (and it really is great), I feel like we can get an even better cut for far less than what we paid for this one.

IMG_8910.jpg

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Let us make some recommendations - my preference would be to find you some diamonds with clean HPHT material and equal or better in the color and clarity grades with smaller tables and angles that maybe drive a bit more fire.
Any thoughts on budget cap?

Maybe around $3,500 for a 1.9 to 2.20 ct?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another one:

Video:

Grading report:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
And another one:

Video:

Grading report:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like this one.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Here you go!

Video:

Grading report:

I like this one, the 2.16 and one that Kim N suggested. Are they all better than this one?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I like this one, the 2.16 and one that Kim N suggested. Are they all better than this one?

That is a GCAL 8X that shouldn't be an 8X due to that pavilion twist and spots of light leakage under the table.
Blue nuance indeed, Kim N.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a GCAL 8X that shouldn't be an 8X due to that pavilion twist and spots of light leakage under the table.

I agree, they missed the mark with this one.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like vendors are testing the limits of GCAL 8X

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock

Wow! I'm so glad I asked first. I'm a newbie for sure, but how do you see the twisted pavillion and light leakage under the table? I think I see it on the optical brilliance image.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I'm so glad I asked first. I'm a newbie for sure, but how do you see the twisted pavillion and light leakage under the table? I think I see it on the optical brilliance image.

Yes, the brilliance image does a good job of showing the problem areas.

I circled the signs of an uneven pavilion and some of the leakage spots.

pavilion-twist.jpg

leakage.jpg

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen this one? I’m sure Rhino would be happy to provide you with any information you want.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Beautiful diamond!

How would you compare this to some of the others that you and Kim N suggested? I like all of the information that's provided on the GCAL 8X cert, so not stuck on them. Just want to make the best decision.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How would you compare this to some of the others that you and Kim N suggested? I like all of the information that's provided on the GCAL 8X cert, so not stuck on them. Just want to make the best decision.

Calculate price per carat, keeping in mind things like the growth method, material quality, cut precision, color grade, and clarity grade.
1.81 F VS1 is $1061 per carat.
2.33 D VS2 is $771 per carat.
There's a very, very clear winner here.
And one that you should consider placing a hold on ASAP.

Melissa Dillingham

Rough_Rock
Calculate price per carat, keeping in mind things like the growth method, material quality, cut precision, color grade, and clarity grade.

Definitely! After yours and Kim N's comments, I went ahead and ordered the 1.81 since they wouldn't place on hold. But now that I look at the others that you and Kim N suggested, they are way more per carat without the scope images. Does this mean they would be better quality? And how would someone like me know if there are any concerns of leakage just based on the images of the stone itself? Sorry for all the questions, but this is pretty interesting stuff!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results