shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
aaargh...
help me please!!

after our fiasco at target yesterday, dh put me in charge of actually ordering baby supplies today!! and i'm at a loss. i figure i'll order the bigger stuff: ie stroller and carseat and wait a bit on the others... my mom and dad are coming into town in about a week and a half, and i know my mom will be THRILLED to go shopping at target, bru, etc for some of the smaller stuff, so that can wait (assuming i don't go into labor before then...NOT FUNNY!!). :)

so if you have a moment, i'd appreciate any input...

first, stroller... we live in the suburbs for sure and can't really walk to any PLACE in particular, but that being said, we take tons of walks outside with our dogs. we also love to walk on the golf course in the evenings and in the beautiful canyon near our home (has one large paved road, but numerous dirt side trails as well). i'd like a stroller that works well for shopping outings etc. i do have an suv, so trunk space isn't a huge deal.

i am definitely leaning towards the uppa vista, especially given everyone's reviews on here. keep in mind that i can't go anywhere to actually test strollers out, so i have to rely on you guys!! :) and i don't think we even have a store that carries all of the high end strollers in town. i have tried my friend's bob back when i was mobile (ha!), and it just felt SOOO huge to me. although i know it would be great for walking in the canyon...

ALSO, dh is a bigtime runner (marathons,etc) and really wants a hardcore running stroller. i **think** we'll end up with the bob ironman for that and it would prob be silly to have two different bobs!! anyone have input into any other jogging strollers we should look at???

and finally, for carseat, i am totally torn on the safeseat vs the snugride. i WAS leaning towards the safeseat, but talked to another fried who basically convinced me to do the snugride (esp since i am pretty small so lifting/carrying anything big will be quite interesting!). i do like that either one will work with the uppavista adapter (which i plan on getting)...

IF i get the snugride, i THINK i'll get this pattern:
if i get the safeseat, definitely one of the solid colors.

ARGH!! help!
also, if you were going to order just a few starter bottles/pacis, what would you get?? (hoping to exclusively breastfeed, but know i will pump sometimes!)...
i DO have the great lists that kay and tacori made so i need to refer back to those as well...
and Angel care monitor?? is that the way to go??

sorry to pick your brains. i'd appreciated ANY info!!
thanks!!
LIA

albee-baby_2016_2753230.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lia, that is one of my favorite patterns. I love my Chicco Keyfit. Not sure what strollers it fits in though. For bottles I am a nuby fan. BPA free, cute, and low cost. I do switch the nipples to dr. browns. If the baby can master the nuby ones that''s great! T never could. I would get a pack of 3 small ones (I think they are 5 oz). The hospital will five you a thing of formula so don''t worry about stocking up in case you will have to supplement. For paci''s T used soothies at first. I think they are the most universal. I have the angel care monitor though never really used the sensor pad (lazy I KNOW!) T was already 4 months by the time we moved her into her own room SIDs didn''t freak me out as much. As an audio one it works great
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LIA if you get a BOB for jogging you could also use it for your walks around the neighborhood and on the trails (with the front wheel in the locked position--correct my TGal if this isn''t a feature?). Then you can get a snap and go for the early weeks and a MacLaren for when you want to go places?? I think this would be the most economical solution, and the MacLaren''s are super nice. If you just *want* a nice high-end stroller like the Uppa or the Bugaboo, then go for it! I liked the Uppa a lot but found the fold a little difficult and the pieces harder to put together, which is why we are getting the Bugaboo, but either is a good choice. As for car seats, I think the snugride is the only one compatible with the Bug and Uppa, but if you go the Bob/SNG/MacLaren route, then you are open. PS: that''s my fave choice color too for the snugride!

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the input!
tacori, i REALLY appreciate the specifics on pacis and bottles! will try to look on line and see what i can find (esp with free shipping!!)

dd: we have thought about doing the traditional bob, but i think that dh wants something even more running specific (bigger wheels??? ihave NO idea but he can be very picky!!)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do agree with DD and the Bob/SNG/Maclaren would probably be the best for you Lia. I love my Maclaren Volo. The mesh seat is SO nice and the sun shade is huge. Plus it is like 8 lbs or something SO light. Easy to fold and travel with (same with SNG). Tgal uses her Bob as her everyday (I think) so it doesn''t just have to be a jogger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as I know, all the BOBs have the same footprint and useability, but they vary a little in wheel size etc. All of them are jogging strollers but the front wheel can be set to rotate, making it an everyday stroller too. Bigger wheels etc should NOT affect whether you can use it for walks and trails etc, I have seen a few in person and they are really nice, and my friends have a couple (single and double). The only place you wouldn't want to take it would be shopping etc, but that would be solved with a MacLaren.

ETA I didn't realize the Ironman was different. If you get the one solely for running you may need another. My friends are HARD core runners (5K per day 6 days a week) and they use the revolution.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 1:33:50 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
LIA if you get a BOB for jogging you could also use it for your walks around the neighborhood and on the trails (with the front wheel in the locked position--correct my TGal if this isn''t a feature?). Then you can get a snap and go for the early weeks and a MacLaren for when you want to go places?? I think this would be the most economical solution, and the MacLaren''s are super nice. If you just *want* a nice high-end stroller like the Uppa or the Bugaboo, then go for it! I liked the Uppa a lot but found the fold a little difficult and the pieces harder to put together, which is why we are getting the Bugaboo, but either is a good choice. As for car seats, I think the snugride is the only one compatible with the Bug and Uppa, but if you go the Bob/SNG/MacLaren route, then you are open. PS: that''s my fave choice color too for the snugride!
I agree with this idea. However...

While the BOB revolution can be set to a fixed wheel, it''s recommended for light jogging/running. I personally don''t see why you couldn''t do a lot of running with this stroller, but your DH might find it irritating if the tracking is off. The ironman is THE jogging stroller if he is pavement running. If you plan to do any trail running (or trail walks around your house) you might want the Sport Utility Version which has thicker tires (think road bike vs mountain bike).

If he does get a fixed wheel BOB, then you will want another stroller for your own use as you will have to lift the front wheel to steer which is annoying.

I actually do not use my BOB as my everday. I use my SNG or Maclaren for errands and going to restaurants. But for everything else where we will be outside, I use the BOB. I think it would be a nice compromise to get the rev, but you will be pretty depending on the snap and go system at first as the BOB is not as infant friendly as something like the Uppa. But I have to say, the Revolution rocks. My friend just bought one and loves it...even after owning a Bugaboo.

I use Born Free bottles. I love them.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
LIA, here's what we decided to go with - Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat and Baby Trend snap and go. When he gets older, we're going to use a Maclaren stroller. Sony Baby Monitor - 900MHZ. Born Free bottles.

Also, two good websites I like - Baby Cheapskate (Thanks for posting this TGal. Now I visit it regularly!) for good deals, Baby Bargains Book / Parent Product Reviews! for reviews and coupons codes and good deals.

Have fun shopping! It'll definitely keep you busy while you're on bed rest. I love shopping online and free shipping! After placing 6 orders I finally stopped. Ha! It was fun receiving packages brought to your doorstep.
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:37:50 AM
Author: TravelingGal
OK gals...new on the market...a build your own stroller....

http://www.teutoniausa.com/
Been checking out some reviews for you gals on this new stroller...plus a pic - not a great one, but give you an idea. You can pick the chassis (bugaboo like 4 wheel (2 choices) or a 3 wheel.

http://www.kidstodayonline.com/blog/1800000380/post/460028446.html
http://growingyourbaby.com/2008/07/15/teutonia-stroller-creating-lots-of-buzz/

As you can see, no real reviews out there, but I''m interested in seeing more about this one...

customization-full.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
They have plain solid color seats too. But here''s another floral one.

Thought I''d being this stroller to the table since so many of you are trying to figure out your options...

lgteutonia.jpg

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Tgal- wow this stroller looks so cool and the patterns are adorable. Maybe for my next one?????? Did you happen to see the prices anywhere? Just curious. What fun. Thanks again.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pave, the prices are on the website. The one I "built" was $500...so they are pricey but it is a cool concept.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look too, and the function seems good. I don''t think they are available in Canada though, and I would need to try it out to know for sure...

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tacori! I just didnt'' go far enough into the site. I started building but it was getting expensive, but fun!! I don''t think you can use another car seat on there except for theirs? That''s different than others, huh? cause their car seat was 190 bucks!! I can tell I am going to be a stroller addict.

Question for you Tacori- My friend commented that I didn''t have much big stuff on my registry- so I was thinking about the maclaren volo- I know you love it. DH wants me to do research...but I feel like you guys are the experts so how much more research needs to be done? I don''t really know what my question was for you, haha! Just looking for a 2nd time that you love the volo? I think it sounds great! I know I will need something lighter for travel and quick trips,etc. I think that one seems like it is it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pave I do love it. Ours is from Target (but I imagine they are all the same) I like the mesh seat, keeps her cool. The shoulder strap on the back, easy to carry. Easy to fold (hands free) and the sun shade is generous. I flew alone with her and managed with the Volo (so it is obviously easy to use if I could fold and open it WHILE holding a 19 lb baby). The only issue you might have is it doesn''t recline but at the age T is (10 months) she is not prone to falling asleep anywhere but her crib so it isn''t a big deal. I don''t think any *true* umbrella strollers recline.

I personally had no desire for a pricey/fancy stroller. In hindsight I wish I didn''t get my full size. We would have been fine with my SNG and Volo. There are so many OTHER things I like to splurge on
27.gif
like wooden and safe plastic toys.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori,
thanks for the info. Are those toys pretty pricey? I actually had a mom asking me yesterday about wooden teething rings covered in beeswax? I have never heard of them but I bet you have. Do you have one for tessa? Gosh there is so much new stuff coming out all the time. I saw that french giraffe thingie that I think jas12 had posted for teething but hadn''t heard of the wooden ones?
I got my first shower gift yesterday! I am flying to phila to visit family and my mom is throwing a shower for me. I think most ppl are going to ship gifts to make it easier on us(lucky us)! Anyway we got the graco travel swing- I hope it''s as good as my friend said. I can''t wait to use it. Time is going so fast yet I feel like I wish it could go faster? I think I am lucky though cause I mostly have enjoyed being pregnant- wait until I get to the third tri, right? hahah.
nice chatting with you. I love being home from work. I am supposed to be packing though
emotion-40.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pave I like haba and Melissa and Doug toys. Right now I am looking for a wooden play kitchen and I want to get her a small table and chairs. Also lots of wood play food to go along with it.

I have never heard of the beeswax teether. I use a Nuby that is BPA/PVC free. I know I cannot avoid plastic for everything so I just try to be smart with what I choose. She does have the leap frog learning table that is REALLY great and the vtec baby laptop.

A swing was a MUST for us. We have two. Full size FB one that swings both ways and a travel swing we kept in our bedroom. It was her bed for a long time
20.gif

Have a great shower. Having a baby *is* something to celebrate!!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
hi ladies,

I''m wondering if anyone can shed any light on the bugaboo frog bassinet assembly. Can it act as a standalone bassinet (outside the stroller)? To me it seems like the front and back are not supported when it''s not in the stroller so how would i stand it on a couch for example?

Also i bought one of those jolly jumper rocking stands thinking i could use it to hold the bassinet at night--but it doesn''t seem to fit quite right. Jolly jumper rockers are designed to fit moses baskets but I''m not sure the bugaboo bassinet really has the same structure as a basket (not as firm as a standalone and has that metal bar on the side/bottom that doesn''t allow it to be flat.

Not sure if this makes sense but I''m wondering if I''m missing something in the assembly?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine my friends often set their frog bassinet on the floor, so it must be able to be made sturdy enough for that at least! Can you take it to a store to check it was put together right?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
janine, as far as I can tell, you can not use the bassinet as a freestanding thing. Maybe we did it wrong since dd is saying that her friends used it on the floor but from my experience, it kind of collapsed if it wasn''t attached to the frame. We always just left it on the frame and wheeled it from room to room if necessary. But if I''m missing out on something, let me know!! I''ll feel like a total idiot but at least I''ll be prepared the 2nd time around!
3.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 9:42:02 AM
Author: curlygirl
janine, as far as I can tell, you can not use the bassinet as a freestanding thing. Maybe we did it wrong since dd is saying that her friends used it on the floor but from my experience, it kind of collapsed if it wasn't attached to the frame. We always just left it on the frame and wheeled it from room to room if necessary. But if I'm missing out on something, let me know!! I'll feel like a total idiot but at least I'll be prepared the 2nd time around!
3.gif
I wonder how they did that then?? I could be crazy but I swear I have seen it with my own eyes!
3.gif
I will ask them next time I see them (which will be soon, they are our neighbours). Theirs was 3 years old, could the model have changed a little?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
That''s my experience too Curly (it collapses because there is no support on ends when it is not within stroller).

DD--I wonder if you know any more details? Unfortunately i can''t take it back to the store--I''m kind of not doing too much anymore and don''t want to think about lugging that thing anywhere! But hey, at least I''m working from home now and therefore will be on the board much more! hehe.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 9:49:35 AM
Author: janinegirly
That''s my experience too Curly (it collapses because there is no support on ends when it is not within stroller).

DD--I wonder if you know any more details? Unfortunately i can''t take it back to the store--I''m kind of not doing too much anymore and don''t want to think about lugging that thing anywhere! But hey, at least I''m working from home now and therefore will be on the board much more! hehe.
LOL! Yeah for working at home! I will ask them for sure about it, this is a mystery that will make me a little mental until I get an answer!

Oh, and great news! My mom suprised us and announced she is going to pay for half our Bugaboo! Yeah!
36.gif
Now if we can just get the in-laws to "volunteer" to help with the other half
27.gif
I''m thinking Christmas present?? I am shameless.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bugaboo debate I am pretty sure the Chameleon can be used as a freestanding bassinet, maybe that is where the confusion lies? Maybe DD's neighbors have a chameleon? I think it's one of the main features of the "nicer" model besides the changeable fabric. But I'm not 100% positive on that.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 2:13:59 AM
Author: TravelingGal
OK, friend bought me this baby food processor and steamer from William Sonoma....looks so cool and perfect for our cramped apartment living. I had intended on making homemade baby food.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5279732/index.cfm?pkey=celtspt

She also got me the babyfood cookbook as well as some babyfood storage containers from Pottery Barn. All in all, a VERY cool gift!
My goodness - has 4 months passed already since I posted the above. I am now using this, so here is my review...

The cost on this little gadget is about $150 bucks...which kind of makes the cost savings of making baby food, well, not that cost saving.

The best thing I can say about this thing is that it MAKES me want to make the food. It''s just so easy and mindless. OK, I understand that steaming veggies and processing is not rocket science. But the babycook takes it a step further in it tells you the right amount of water to put in and shuts off when steaming is done. So you can putter around or take care of the kid and oops! Forgot about the food! No problem, it''s still sitting there perfect steamed and ready to process.

It does a good job processing/pureeing. Any device works best when not stuffed to gills, but I was still a bit overzealous and packed up the processor and it still did fine - especially after I added water. The consistency is smooth and perfect for stage 1 foods. I also find that I am happy to taste whatever I am making, which is nice because jarred baby food grosses me out for some reason.

Cleanup is the other key reason why I like to use this product. I mean, it doesn''t really take much to do it the old fashioned way - a pot, steaming basket, food processing container (or a stick blender). But my food processor is heavy and we don''t keep it on the counter. I hate cleaning that blade and I hate cleaning pots for some weird reason (we do not use a dishwasher in our place). With this, I immediately rinse the container (with a swipe of the sponge), add a bit of water and soap, stick it back on the machine and give it a whirl to clean the blade and rinse clean. The container is very LIGHT (as is the entire appliance), which I love. Since I don''t mind cleaning it, I find that I am a lot more interested in USING it, which to me is the biggest plus about this machine.

I live in an apartment and space is at a premium and I think this really helps me make good food for the kid. The little processor makes an average size bowl of veggies and fruit, which is about one ice tray full of food. Perfect. It would be a serious pain to make a huge batch of stuff (I''d do it the old fashioned way for that), but if you want to whip something quick up, this would be awesome.

One last note...there was a lot of concern that the bowl was made of Polycarbonate - which leeches BPA. Not a problem for processing, but since you also steam the food in the main bowl (although it sits in a separate basket), leeching was a concern. I did some research and apparently Beaba did change what the bowl is made out of. So I made the decision to go ahead and use it.

Worth $150? Hm...probably not since you really would only use it for a few months. But you can also reheat frozen food in it, which is nice (I''m not a fan of the microwave). I''d say this one to have on your registry and hope someone buys it for ya - it''s exclusively available from Williams Sonoma. If you have a small apartment, I think you''d enjoy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, one more thing to review...

I know Curly has one and there are some of you out there with small spaces. So I thought I''d review the Fisher Price Saver High chair which I just bought...

We just have no space in our place so the thought of another piece of "furniture" made me ill. After reading the reviews, I bought this chair and I really like it.

The seat cover is nice and neutral - definitely not offensive! It has 3 recline positions and a full tray, which you can adjust the distance. At 10 pounds, it''s light.

Amelia fits fine in it and likes it. I had been using the bouncy chair to feed her and she does better on a recline right now but had to cover it with a towel so I wouldn''t get glop everywhere. So I really like the recline feature on this chair.

Also, being Korean, I''m just really comfortable on the floor, so I LOVE having a chair I can just plop on the floor. In fact, we will probably not secure it to a chair until she is a little older. I just use a wipable pad thing which I put on the carpet and then plop the chair on top of it. A really nice perk for me.

Easy to store away (we just keep it on one of the dining chairs since we only have 2 of us in the house and 6 chairs. I don''t know about the durability issues, but at this point I can definitely recommend the chair. It''s 54.99 at BRU but I used a 20% and a 5 dollar of 25 dollar coupon bringing it to 43 including tax. You can find it online for about 44-49 bucks.

pTRU1-3280479dt.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, both my mom and MIL have that highchair. I don''t love it but I am spoiled with my Boon. I am glad it is working out for you.

I have to add a new (early b-day present) toy. It''s the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn house. T *loves* it! We play peek-a-boo with the little window. She crawls through the front door and goes in circles. It sing songs and talks to her. Lots of fun. Plus it TOTALLY is my style and my home is decorated like the house
27.gif
bwaahaahaa. Sorry, couldn''t resist.
3.gif

pTRU1-2789362reg.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, if I could have your boon, I would! I love it! But if you put the front desk at the Ritz at a motel 6...well, it just looks wrong and that''s what it would look like in my apartment.
39.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, I bet not! No worries as your stroller could kick my stroller''s butt any day of the week!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results